Friendly Hostility

koan

Friendly Hostility

Post by koan »

The border closing ceremony between India and Pakistan is quite an amazing show for a few reasons. Despite the horrid history that resulted in the border, they treat it with humour and have worked together to create a wonderful show full of both pride and respect.

I had seen this in a documentary hosted by Michael Palin a long time ago and still remember my joy at seeing it the first time. I mentioned it recently when I saw two dogs having a very similar standoff that was amusing their owners and compared it to the showmanship of border closing guards between India and Pakistan... which shocked and dismayed them. I had to explain that it was a friendly display of hostility and I don't think they believed me. So I'm posting a video of it here as it seems not a lot of people know how wonderful the ceremony is.

CARLA

Friendly Hostility

Post by CARLA »

Cool elaborate stepping there. I saw something similar when in Greece and they changed guards very interesting ceromony.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

LarsMac

Friendly Hostility

Post by LarsMac »

I remember the Michael Palin film.

Indeed, quite a fascinating event.

I would like to one day witness it in person.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Scrat

Friendly Hostility

Post by Scrat »

Just another bunch of apes beating their chests, all that in 2 countries that have nuclear weapons pointed at one another but significant portions of their populations live on less than a euro a day.

Pathetic.
koan

Friendly Hostility

Post by koan »

Scrat;1345796 wrote: Just another bunch of apes beating their chests, all that in 2 countries that have nuclear weapons pointed at one another but significant portions of their populations live on less than a euro a day.

Pathetic.

But that's what makes it so wonderful.

They shake hands. The beating of the chest is mocked and over pronounced but the handshake is properly executed.

Return to “International Politics”