Galbally's extraordinary Irish recession diary

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Right, it has been a while, but better late than never, and in spite of popular non-demand; I have decided its important for my mental sanity to start a brief and painful "questions-and-answers" thread about my country (Ireland's) total economic melt-down.

You may have heard of this, you may not, but in any case feel free to ask me questions you may have on this and how we are coping with our new international status as the real party people of global finance.

So if you want to know what our Prime Minister really gets up to at 4am in the bar, or what our funny-sounding political parties do for a living, fire away, I am all ears. Mostly as the IMF have taken everything else away.

I am also available, as ever, for discussing certain food recipies, issues related to chemistry, music criticism, and those ever tricky marital problems (but only juicy bedroom stuff please, no boring things about financial responsibility etc).

I am unfortunately quite busy with my work at the moment, but I will try to bunk off as much as I possibly can to answer your inane questions about my ridiculous country and its current financial woes.

So, I might not be able to answer things particularly promptly, but I promise I will, and no honest inquiry will be ignored, but (instead) will be met with world-class obsfucation, political blather, and petty insults.

I will tell you, that watching young men walking around town this evening in short-sleeved shirts in temperatures of minus 7 degrees centigrade does not inspire me with hope for the future of the land, but, be that as it may, we carry on regardless, after all, we are Irish.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'm pleased just reading one of your posts. Welcome back, its good to see you.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Dr. G so good to see you back. I wondered if your Countries situation would bring you back to the garden for discussion. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

89 billion bailout agreed to - is that in euros?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

koan

Post by koan »

Have you started designing your IMF protest sign yet? Lots of good photo ops available in the near future if you've got one of those.
spot

Post by spot »

Gerry Adams in the Dublin parliament in three months' time?

You now own all the banks?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Welcome back. Nothing unfortunate about being busy with work. Not being busy is altogether worse.

Iceland had the right idea. tell the bankers to Fook off and refuse to bail out property speculators and the like who were quite happy to rake in all the money in the good times. None of the bank directors have been held accountable for any of this yet because of them ordinary people are going to be going bankrupt and losing their homes. A plague on all their houses.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Ahso!;1345335 wrote: I'm pleased just reading one of your posts. Welcome back, its good to see you.

Upon seeing your reply I realized that I am also pleased to see you.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

CARLA;1345346 wrote: Dr. G so good to see you back. I wondered if your Countries situation bring you back to the garden for discussion. :)

Thank you Carla. Clearly you were entirely correct in that assessment.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

flopstock;1345357 wrote: 89 billion bailout agreed to - is that in euros?

Yes it is, our government did try to ask for the bailout to be paid in a currency that Irish people would have more faith in, but apparently the Germans were against giving us 21.8 billion cans of Heineken, and 23.6 Billion cans of Draft Guinness at current market rates.

A mistake in my opinion, but then I'm not an economist.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

koan;1345358 wrote: Have you started designing your IMF protest sign yet? Lots of good photo ops available in the near future if you've got one of those.

Yes, needless to say that designing protest posters of various kinds has become about the only growth industry in Ireland, I am therefore considering a small "start-up" anti-capitalist-protest-placard business, I have emailed the IMF and the EU for funds for this innovative enterprise and I await their response with interest.

As a fall-back, I have also inquired if Bernie Madoff is running any venture capitalist projects from his prison cell (as an alternate source of funds), preferrably with the money being provided by freezing orphans and starving widows, all completely guaranteed a 130% return on initial investment of course.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1345372 wrote: Gerry Adams in the Dublin parliament in three months' time?

You now own all the banks?

Indeed, it seems that perhaps his day has come after all.

Yes apparently we do own the banks more or less, and I always wanted to own a bank, though we only seem to get to own them once they are bankrupt, which to be honest is not ideal. So we only get to have businesses that have failed, and apparently as a quid pro-quo for this wonderful investment opportunity as citizens, we have to sell off any sucessful businesses that we already own to private companies as clearly governments are unable to run businesses into the ground fast enough and we need the private sector to destroy them properaly on our behalf.

Oh and we also pay teachers and midwives way too much money which is also part of our downfall, but don't worry we are rectifying that, we have plans to pay all future public sector wages in cheese and apples, and shoot any stragglers and whingers it's a win-win apparently.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

gmc;1345374 wrote: Welcome back. Nothing unfortunate about being busy with work. Not being busy is altogether worse.

Iceland had the right idea. tell the bankers to Fook off and refuse to bail out property speculators and the like who were quite happy to rake in all the money in the good times. None of the bank directors have been held accountable for any of this yet because of them ordinary people are going to be going bankrupt and losing their homes. A plague on all their houses.

Indeed, you are right, I count myself lucky indeed.

Yes the Iceland example is all very well, but they run a system called "functioning democracy", which may sound all nice and dandy, but has lots of drawbacks such as having to have elections, and asking ordinary people what they think about the whole "running the country" thing (yawn), we Irish prefer our own system, for which there is currently no dictionary definition.

But be assurred we (based on best international practice) are paying several thousand financial experts and lawyers €800 an hour each to come up with a new word (and dictionary definition) for our system of governance, and the Irish government assure us that this new word will be ready early in the new year.

Gosh, we are very excited.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

You know if you consider what you had of it before the Easter Rising, things are a step above that still. One way or another. Sort of.

Deputy Ring said it has been suggested that the Queen will come to Ireland on a state visit next year.

"Although we have our independence now, perhaps we should hand the country back to the Queen and apologise for the mess we have made of it.

"When Britain was running the country, at least it did not leave us in such a mess or in the hock we are in now.

"Hand country back to Queen"

I blinked twice when I read that at the start of the month. It must have sent a frisson up every spine in the Dáil Éireann.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1345391 wrote: You know if you consider what you had of it before the Easter Rising, things are a step above that still. One way or another. Sort of.

Deputy Ring said it has been suggested that the Queen will come to Ireland on a state visit next year.

"Although we have our independence now, perhaps we should hand the country back to the Queen and apologise for the mess we have made of it.

"When Britain was running the country, at least it did not leave us in such a mess or in the hock we are in now.

"Hand country back to Queen"

I blinked twice when I read that at the start of the month. It must have sent a frisson up every spine in the Dáil Éireann.

Well Deputy Ring was probably pinning for the good old days when you could always be assurred of getting some cheap Irish fun if you were bored, simply by robbing the fruit from the local Victorian Landlord's apple trees and getting a chase for the whole family from his Bloodhounds and Henchmen across several counties.

It certainly kept the kids fit.

Then there were the starving orhpan children, numbers are clearly way down since independence, and they make such a good source of cheap labour, which we could do with now in order to compete with those hardworking Chinese peasants; which perhaps is the strategy, as it would probably cost less to run a workforce of Irish peasants (living off potatoes and seaweed) than it does to run a similarly sized workforce of Chinese coolies living off rice and sweet and sour sauce.

All they have to do is improve their communications strategy to make sure that Irish people understand that reverting to an existence of peasants is unavoidable given the difficult global circumstances, and it is clearly in their long-term interest (and that of their future, thin and bedraggled childred) in order to make the country competitive once more.

I for one would like to congratulate our wonderful government on their radical "out-of their-box" thinking. Outstanding work.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

So nice to see you back, Mr. G. Or is it "DR." G? As you may remember you gave me advice about 2-3 years ago on dating, clothes to wear (stiletto heels in particular) and hors d'oeuvres to serve. Thank you. (Oh, about the dating thing, the guy really was a rapist and is now serving 10-20 in Tehachapi.) I see that you are offering monetary advice now and I have a question.

I was in Ireland last summer. I looked for you and not finding you, I sought the services of the banker son of a friend of mine in Scotland. My daughter had given me a one dollar bill (US) that she wanted to put into circulation in Europe and trace its journey (some gimmick she'd heard about on the Internet.) Well, I gave the bill to said son of said friend, who said he worked for the Bank of Scotland. He said that I would hear from him, but I haven't yet. I was wondering if you could tell me what's become of my daughter's dollar bill? I can supply the serial number.

P.S. So sorry to hear your country's in trouble.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

ZAP;1345398 wrote: So nice to see you back, Mr. G. Or is it "DR." G? As you may remember you gave me advice about 2-3 years ago on dating, clothes to wear (stiletto heels in particular) and hors d'oeuvres to serve. Thank you. (Oh, about the dating thing, the guy really was a rapist and is now serving 10-20 in Tehachapi.) I see that you are offering monetary advice now and I have a question.

I was in Ireland last summer. I looked for you and not finding you, I sought the services of the banker son of a friend of mine in Scotland. My daughter had given me a one dollar bill (US) that she wanted to put into circulation in Europe and trace its journey (some gimmick she'd heard about on the Internet.) Well, I gave the bill to said son of said friend, who said he worked for the Bank of Scotland. He said that I would hear from him, but I haven't yet. I was wondering if you could tell me what's become of my daughter's dollar bill? I can supply the serial number.

P.S. So sorry to hear your country's in trouble.

Dear ZAP, ah yes of course I do remember now, I am somewhat alarmed to hear that this person was a serial rapist, but I am glad to hear he has been locked away in some place I have never heard of, which means he is probably not an issue at the present time.

In terms of your one Euro, you'd be amazed at how many foreigners we have currently making simiar requests to Irish people about the specific location of specific amounts of currency denominated in Euro. Usually these requests are met with blank stares, head scratches, and the comment "well, if you're looking for that money I wouldn't start from here".

But in your case you are in luck. I believe that your one Euro is currently residing in the 2nd till on the left as you come in the front door of the Tesco's in Newbridge Co. Kildare.

If you were to get over here quickly and inform the assistant manager of who you are (perhaps you should use your full name, as opposed to just ZAP) and that "the Euro with the French Reverse, and the 3 nicks in it" in fact belongs to you, I am sure he will oblige.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

ZAP;1345398 wrote: P.S. So sorry to hear your country's in trouble.

Oh and thank you, I am also sorry to hear my country is in trouble, so we are in agreement on that one.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

So why this ridiculous game of "we insist you accept our money", "but we don't need it" that went on for so long?

The argument that "if you don't take it Portugal might suffer" deserved only one answer!

What went on behind the scenes?

BTW, welcome back - next time don't leave it so damn'd long :-6
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Bryn Mawr;1345415 wrote: So why this ridiculous game of "we insist you accept our money", "but we don't need it" that went on for so long?

The argument that "if you don't take it Portugal might suffer" deserved only one answer!

What went on behind the scenes?

BTW, welcome back - next time don't leave it so damn'd long :-6

Well yes, that was a bit mad, but we are Irish, which I think everyone seems to have forgotten.

First lets get this right, we didn't accept the money. The Irish Government accepted the money, but to be honest you'd be as well to not pay too much attention to them, we never liked them, and we were right about that.

In fact we are starting to wonder whether they are the Irish government at all, or not some other entirely different government of another country, only pretending to be our government, in a crafty ruse by which they sign us up to all manner of mad treaties when we are not looking. This is why 100,000 people were up in Dublin over the weekend to have a look at what is going on, and to make sure these people are actually who they say they are.

Now, given that. Yes it does seem there was a bit of back and forth. It seems to have gone like this

Rest of Europe: Take the money, or the EU and the Eurozone will go down.

Ireland: Really? Jaysus thats terrible but ah no, thanks, we're grand.

Rest of Europe: What?

Ireland: Ah no, we're grand.

Rest of Europe: But you are not...."grand"?

Ireland: Ah, we are though.

Rest of Europe: No you aren't, take the money.

Ireland: Ah no, maybe next month if we need it, cheers lads.

Rest of Europe: Right, we are telling the rest of world on you.

Ireland: Ah now, stop getting upset, it'll be grand. Those banks were only resting in our country, they will be moving on soon.

Rest of Europe: No too late, you are not taking us seriously, this is serious.

Ireland: Ah it's not that bad, sure....ah now, here is the IMF what did ye squeal for?

Rest of Europe and IMF: OK NOW, stop zis foolishness, and take ze money.

Ireland: But we are grand, not a bother on us, would ye ever feck off and pick on Spain? Ah look if it makes you happy, can we pretend to take the money?

Rest of Europe and IMF: NO, you must take it, its 89 Billion Euro.

Ireland: Really? Bit mean.

Rest of Europe and IMF: WHAT? Zis is an enormous amount of money!

Ireland: Ah, not by our standards any more, our banks are amazing! Anyway you gave the Greeks more, and they haven't won Eurovision as much as us!

Rest of Europe and IMF: Right, zis is it, we are sending the IMF boys and Ollie Rehn and they will give you the money, and you will take it, and zat will be zat.

Ireland: Right so. Will ye be wanting it back though?

Rest of Europe and IMF: YES!

Ireland: Feck. Boring, OK. But you better not give Portugal more than us, they always get more than us.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;1345426 wrote: Well yes, that was a bit mad, but we are Irish, which I think everyone seems to have forgotten.

First lets get this right, we didn't accept the money. The Irish Government accepted the money, but to be honest you'd be as well to not pay too much attention to them, we never liked them, and we were right about that.

In fact we are starting to wonder whether they are the Irish government at all, or not some other entirely different government of another country, only pretending to be our government, in a crafty ruse by which they sign us up to all manner of mad treaties when we are not looking. This is why 100,000 people were up in Dublin over the weekend to have a look at what is going on, and to make sure these people are actually who they say they are.

Now, given that. Yes it does seem there was a bit of back and forth. It seems to have gone like this

Rest of Europe: Take the money, or the EU and the Eurozone will go down.

Ireland: Really? Jaysus thats terrible but ah no, thanks, we're grand.

Rest of Europe: What?

Ireland: Ah no, we're grand.

Rest of Europe: But you are not...."grand"?

Ireland: Ah, we are though.

Rest of Europe: No you aren't, take the money.

Ireland: Ah no, maybe next month if we need it, cheers lads.

Rest of Europe: Right, we are telling the rest of world on you.

Ireland: Ah now, stop getting upset, it'll be grand. Those banks were only resting in our country, they will be moving on soon.

Rest of Europe: No too late, you are not taking us seriously, this is serious.

Ireland: Ah it's not that bad, sure....ah now, here is the IMF what did ye squeal for?

Rest of Europe and IMF: OK now, stop zis foolishness, and take ze money.

Ireland: But we are grand, not a bother on us, would ye ever feck off and pick on Spain? Ah look if it makes you happy, can we pretend to take the money?

Rest of Europe and IMF: No, you must take it, its 89 Billion Euro.

Ireland: Really? Bit mean.

Rest of Europe and IMF: What? Zis is an enormous amount of money!

Ireland: Ah, not by our standards any more, our banks are amazing! Anyway you gave the Greeks more, and they haven't won Eurovision as much as us!

Rest of Europe and IMF: Right, zis is it, we are sending the IMF boys and Ollie Rehn and they will give you the money, and you will take it, and zat will be zat.

Ireland: Right so. Will ye be wanting it back though?

Rest of Europe and IMF: Yes

Ireland: Feck. OK. But you better not give Portugal more than us, they always get more than us.

That sounds pretty much it :wah:

Who's kidding who?

As I see it, they'd be better off stopping the speculators from manipulating the markets in the first place rather than trying to mop up afterwards in country after country.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Galbally;1345403 wrote: Dear ZAP, ah yes of course I do remember now, I am somewhat alarmed to hear that this person was a serial rapist, but I am glad to hear he has been locked away in some place I have never heard of, which means he is probably not an issue at the present time.

In terms of your one Euro, you'd be amazed at how many foreigners we have currently making simiar requests to Irish people about the specific location of specific amounts of currency denominated in Euro. Usually these requests are met with blank stares, head scratches, and the comment "well, if you're looking for that money I wouldn't start from here".

But in your case you are in luck. I believe that your one Euro is currently residing in the 2nd till on the left as you come in the front door of the Tesco's in Newbridge Co. Kildare.

If you were to get over here quickly and inform the assistant manager of who you are (perhaps you should use your full name, as opposed to just ZAP) and that "the Euro with the French Reverse, and the 3 nicks in it" in fact belongs to you, I am sure he will oblige.

Dear GB,

Thank you for your, as always, very timely and wise advice. I have been searching for good prices on flights. As you may know the airports on this side of the pond (a term I learned from some British friends) are making us passengers jump through hoops or to be precise, submit to a body scan or a probe or pat-down . . .whatever. I want to make sure I get the latter if I have any say so in the matter. Can I expect to receive the same when I depart Ireland?

Also, I have another question: I recently purchased a tiny book, entitled The Little Book of London by Donald Grieg. Is he to be trusted as an authority on British slang? Some of these terms sound questionable: Tea leaf, Tit willow, Uncle Willy, Rabbit and pork, Rub-a-dub, Round the houses, Fly-by-nights, Frog and toad. Pig's ear???? Would I be able to purchase a similar book on Irish slang prior to my trip to Ireland?
koan

Post by koan »

Having been disturbed in England by the lack of trash receptacles and having been told it was a residual result from Irish bombings, I'd suggest an alternative growth industry of reinstalling trash bins in the UK. It's an unlimited business if you then arrange to have them all blown up.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Bryn Mawr;1345427 wrote: That sounds pretty much it :wah:

Who's kidding who?

As I see it, they'd be better off stopping the speculators from manipulating the markets in the first place rather than trying to mop up afterwards in country after country.

Agreed. Again, and I must say this with some force, we are not very pleased with our current government, in fact I would go as far as to say that we think they are about as welcome as a bag of rats in a dock in 1366. But, I digress.

In terms of your other wider point. Yes, now I am not an expert, but it seems to me that we are currently trying to run the place (the world) by running around after a large group of very wealthy but nervous headless chickens (or you can call them international markets if you want, its all the same), who want to keep their enormous amounts of money 100% safe, but also as 100% profitable as possible at the same time, which is impossible and they have to sometimes lose some of their money unless they are going to be sensible about it; and explaining this economic fact 101 seems to have become a pretty difficult task as apparently the chickens know best in this situation. They also have bought the farm and the farmer is now working for them. You see the problem with chickens is that they don't know what they want, or why they want it, and they certainly don't care about the other animals.

It would seem to me that the sensible thing to do would be to first get all the headless chickens into a coup assure them that their money is safe, then get them to give us our eggs back and also their money to mind, then once they had done that, we truss the lot of them up and have a wonderful month of roast chicken dinners. Then, we let the next lot of chickens in, and using the example of the last lot of chickens, we give them back some money and tell them to behave themselves this time. Essentially the chickens are currently running farm policy, and that's not good for the farm, and if we don't stop we will all end up covered in chicken-*****. That's the long and short of it.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

ZAP;1345450 wrote: Dear GB,

Thank you for your, as always, very timely and wise advice. I have been searching for good prices on flights. As you may know the airports on this side of the pond (a term I learned from some British friends) are making us passengers jump through hoops or to be precise, submit to a body scan or a probe or pat-down . . .whatever. I want to make sure I get the latter if I have any say so in the matter. Can I expect to receive the same when I depart Ireland?

Also, I have another question: I recently purchased a tiny book, entitled The Little Book of London by Donald Grieg. Is he to be trusted as an authority on British slang? Some of these terms sound questionable: Tea leaf, Tit willow, Uncle Willy, Rabbit and pork, Rub-a-dub, Round the houses, Fly-by-nights, Frog and toad. Pig's ear???? Would I be able to purchase a similar book on Irish slang prior to my trip to Ireland?

In terms of your first question, an interesting option. The problem with the Pat-down is that its fantastic (in a CSI-Miami kind of way) if you are getting it from a 24-year-old, very attractive member of the opposite sex. However, if you are getting a pat down from a grossly overweight person of the same sex who smells of hamsters and has a twitch, then the pat-down is not so much fun and is less like CSI-Miami and more like Last Of the Summer Wine

(which is very hard to explain as a metaphor if you're not from this eastern side of the "the pond" but is roughly analogus to "The Golden Girls", but played by a cast of homeless people).

And no, we don't do that "pat-down" stuff here, but we can certainly arrange for you to get a right good pat-down off someone in Dublin airport, though it usually happens in the car-park, they wear track-suits and white sport shoes; and usually demand a large amount of cash immediately to pay for their attentions.

In term of your second question, I am unable to comment on that. Though I may provide you with a guide to some Irish slang when I have a little more time.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

koan;1345464 wrote: Having been disturbed in England by the lack of trash receptacles and having been told it was a residual result from Irish bombings, I'd suggest an alternative growth industry of reinstalling trash bins in the UK. It's an unlimited business if you then arrange to have them all blown up.

Ah yes, it seems we were early adaptors in that regard of mixing business and terror, though thankfully it seems that we have been superceded in the terrorism business by people who are even more misguided and have worse fashion sense; and we are now doing stand up impersonations of various Latin American countries run by Generalissimos and funded by the IMF, its a great show, you can get a ticket for €33-330 to see the show from Michael O'Leary the concert promoter. I would urge everyone to come over and check it out.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
gmc

Post by gmc »

koan;1345464 wrote: Having been disturbed in England by the lack of trash receptacles and having been told it was a residual result from Irish bombings, I'd suggest an alternative growth industry of reinstalling trash bins in the UK. It's an unlimited business if you then arrange to have them all blown up.

That is actually true. they used to use large metal receptacles so if someone dropped a match or a lighted cigarette in them it merely saved the trouble to empty them. Knowing someone might have dropped a bomb in one doesn't half change the way you look at these things.

posted by galbally

In terms of your other wider point. Yes, now I am not an expert, but it seems to me that we are currently trying to run the place (the world) by running around after a large group of very wealthy but nervous headless chickens (or you can call them international markets if you want, its all the same), who want to keep their enormous amounts of money 100% safe, but also as 100% profitable as possible at the same time, which is impossible and they have to sometimes lose some of their money unless they are going to be sensible about it; and explaining this economic fact 101 seems to have become a pretty difficult task as apparently the chickens know best in this situation.

It would be serious if irish govt bonds were given junk status on the other hand why should the ordinary taxpayer be obliged to make sure rich private investors don't lose any money?

Same in the UK, if you invest money you can lose it, actually doing so might be useful in making people a bit more careful. That ordinary icelanders having told their government where to go seem to be recovering rather nicely. That some speculators have lost money is sad for them but not for anyone else.

Having bailed out our own banks we are now being shafted by higher bank charges and withdrawal of agreed overdrafts and loans without any warning, meanwhile they still pay out bonuses while laying off staff in the branches. You couldn't make any of this stuff up could you?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

gmc;1345513 wrote: That is actually true. they used to use large metal receptacles so if someone dropped a match or a lighted cigarette in them it merely saved the trouble to empty them. Knowing someone might have dropped a bomb in one doesn't half change the way you look at these things.

posted by galbally

It would be serious if irish govt bonds were given junk status on the other hand why should the ordinary taxpayer be obliged to make sure rich private investors don't lose any money?

Same in the UK, if you invest money you can lose it, actually doing so might be useful in making people a bit more careful. That ordinary icelanders having told their government where to go seem to be recovering rather nicely. That some speculators have lost money is sad for them but not for anyone else.

Having bailed out our own banks we are now being shafted by higher bank charges and withdrawal of agreed overdrafts and loans without any warning, meanwhile they still pay out bonuses while laying off staff in the branches. You couldn't make any of this stuff up could you?

No, you couldn't; that is the most certain fact of these strange times.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
koan

Post by koan »

Galbally;1345509 wrote: Ah yes, it seems we were early adaptors in that regard of mixing business and terror, though thankfully it seems that we have been superceded in the terrorism business by people who are even more misguided and have worse fashion sense; and we are now doing stand up impersonations of various Latin American countries run by Generalissimos and funded by the IMF, its a great show, you can get a ticket for €33-330 to see the show from Michael O'Leary the concert promoter. I would urge everyone to come over and check it out.
The Irish will always have a more charming accent. Hard to hate a terrorist who has a good limerick on standby.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

koan;1345581 wrote: The Irish will always have a more charming accent. Hard to hate a terrorist who has a good limerick on standby.

Yes, we do have a very popular accent alright, thank god. We need to hang on to whatever we have.

I can also report that we are buried in snow today as well, on top of everything else. We remain sanguine however, apparenly the Irish banks have a plan to burn money for the next 3 months, 24 hours a day, in order to keep everyone warm.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
koan

Post by koan »

you do realise a limerick is required before I'm satisfied, yes?
koan

Post by koan »

though I appreciate the "burning money" comment. Very clever. :p

Still, a limerick, please.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

koan;1345598 wrote: though I appreciate the "burning money" comment. Very clever. :p

Still, a limerick, please.

OK, erm

Now, there was a wee bank in Dublin

Whose size it was always a-doublin

But it went up in smoke, and now we're all broke

And the situations' very much troublin!

TA-DA!

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
koan

Post by koan »

:yh_clap

Bravo!

The next concern is to come up with a hero that will be portrayed by someone like Leonardo DiCaprio instead of someone like Liam Neeson. If DiCaprio had been cast as Michael Collins I'm sure things would have worked out better for the whole country in the long run. Perhaps Hollywood is to blame.

Return to “Ireland”