HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - Part 1

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Picked the daughter up after school yesterday and drove straight to the mall to see the latest in the Harry Potter series.

She loved it! I had mixed emotions.

They've grown up, these three and 'Ron' is still my favorite actor of the group. That kid has known how to deliver a line since the first movie. Little-one and I both knew where they would break the final book, so that was predictable. Daughter would lean over and warn me when a scary part was on its way - she likes reading them before watching them also. And as usual, the movie that ran in my head while I read the book was much better.. but overall, a good effort, IMO.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I'm just wondering if it was necessary to break this episode into two parts.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

along-for-the-ride;1344469 wrote: I'm just wondering if it was necessary to break this episode into two parts.

If for no other reason than the need for a bathroom break. But I would have gladly played double and had a half hour break...lol

In order for the conclusion to make sense, they really couldn't skip too much of the detail, like they did in moving the other books to film. They could have shortened this one by about 20 minutes or so - scenery, secondary characters and such. But I don't think it would have left that feeling of statisfaction we will hopefully walk away with at the end of the 2nd part.

:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

The author has achieved a considerable feat: in an age when children are trained to recognize Good by over-large round eyes and Bad by small slitty ones, and Bad absolutely never ever comes out ahead of the game by the time the final credits roll, she's managed to produce a cast of characters who themselves don't know who's good or bad among them, much less the audience. The one master-stroke which I suspect we'll not actually get is an alternate ending to the final film, with Voldemort and company coming out alive and triumphant. All this complaisant ignorant certainty among the young would be subverted, and not before time.

The films as a set have some great acting, Thewlis and Rickman and Oldman and Gleeson and Gambon and Smith standing out - the children are mere flatpack furniture by comparison. I expect I'll see the Deathly Hallows but I'll definitely insist on having both parts back to back instead of splitting the book.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

along-for-the-ride;1344469 wrote: I'm just wondering if it was necessary to break this episode into two parts.

No, the movie had some scene's that wasn't needed in my opinion. (the dancing scene in the tent), but therre going to try to milk all of that money out that they can. They also could of had more detail in the last movie but then again the whole book series I think wrapped up kinda quickly in the end that the important details kinda rush together in the end.
nok

Post by nok »

I've always liked all the Harry Potter movies and I've always watched every one of them when they came out - a Harry Potter movie has never disappointed or bored me.
Happiness is not a destiny. It is a daily goal. :)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

littleCJelkton;1344521 wrote: No, the movie had some scene's that wasn't needed in my opinion. (the dancing scene in the tent), but therre going to try to milk all of that money out that they can. They also could of had more detail in the last movie but then again the whole book series I think wrapped up kinda quickly in the end that the important details kinda rush together in the end.

I felt the same about that scene and a couple of others. But taking them out would not have shortened it enough to fit in a good solid ending IMO. And I'm not sure where they would have left off the last movie without giving away stuff some folks may not have read yet, in the final. I do think Thanksgiving and Christmas would have been enough hang time to get the audience back, however. If you are going to split a book, it's best to present it quickly, IMO.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

nok;1344542 wrote: I've always liked all the Harry Potter movies and I've always watched every one of them when they came out - a Harry Potter movie has never disappointed or bored me.

We have marathons from time to time and any time we can't decide what to watch or do, we pull one out and look for things we've missed or that were different than the books...we haven't missed much after all this time...lol

littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

flopstock;1344563 wrote: We have marathons from time to time and any time we can't decide what to watch or do, we pull one out and look for things we've missed or that were different than the books...we haven't missed much after all this time...lol

Me and my friends had an all Day Geek party a year or so back, doing the a Mosh marathon of the Harry Potter movies up till then, LOTR, and The original (IV V VI) Star wars, all whilest playing a good old session of D&D.

Note; only thing missing was a few old Star Trek episodes
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Just had to loan book 7 to someone here at work who hasn't read it yet..

rileys

Post by rileys »

Simply one of the best Potter movies so far.David Yates does a good job with the source material.. I love this movie..
koan

Post by koan »

When I saw the last one I was a little put off the "kids". I thought they were a little better in the acting department than they seemed in the previous film. I'm a little too worried about their performances to pay to see this one. Maybe it was just fond memories of trying to fly the broom on the GameCube version but I thought they were easier to watch than they are. The adult cast is brilliant though.
pinko

Post by pinko »

It is ending.Harry grow up.
Deon095

Post by Deon095 »

Directed by David Yates and distributed by Warner Bros, Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows- part 1 is a nice movie of the year 2010 and it is based on the novel of J.K. Rowling.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”