Hydroponics system

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Here is a hydroponics system I built. It is called an ebb and flow system. Time will tell on how effective it is, but it was fun to build. Enjoy.

My Journal of a New Endeavor
koan

Hydroponics system

Post by koan »

what are you growing with it?
G#Gill

Hydroponics system

Post by G#Gill »

koan;1342329 wrote: what are you growing with it?

Sensimilla ? :lips:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

LOL, no Gill, no sensimilla. At this point I am growing leaf lettuce and basil. I intend on expanding this to keep us in lettuce throughout the winter and I'm developing a couple more systems for tomatoes and peppers.

I am quite sure they would work exceptionally well with cannabis. You would change the nutrients up a bit and have to make some light adjustments to force flowering. Those will be the same principles I use for peppers.

If marijuana laws change...............
G#Gill

Hydroponics system

Post by G#Gill »

halfway;1342344 wrote: LOL, no Gill, no sensimilla. At this point I am growing leaf lettuce and basil. I intend on expanding this to keep us in lettuce throughout the winter and I'm developing a couple more systems for tomatoes and peppers.

I am quite sure they would work exceptionally well with cannabis. You would change the nutrients up a bit and have to make some light adjustments to force flowering. Those will be the same principles I use for peppers.

Aha, IF. It used to be legal, because my dad, who was a pharmacist, used to use it in his dispensing, before the WWII. After all it is a natural herb. I would be all for the legalisation, if only to have tighter standards. Just think what tax the government could put on it ! Also, it would keep a lot of kids away from the Class A drugs ! Sorry, I'm taking your thread off-topic - didn't mean to.

I have mixed feelings about artificially producing food like this, as it is not natural with seasons, and therefore may have a detrimental effect on the crop. Although, having said that, it is in many ways good to be able to grow season crops, out of season.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
flopstock

Hydroponics system

Post by flopstock »

halfway;1342344 wrote: LOL, no Gill, no sensimilla. At this point I am growing leaf lettuce and basil. I intend on expanding this to keep us in lettuce throughout the winter and I'm developing a couple more systems for tomatoes and peppers.

could you grow rice?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

flopstock;1342361 wrote: could you grow rice?

I believe you can, but the space required would negate the use of lights/indoor ability. I think aquaponics, the combination of fish and hydro would be a great combo for rice and is asolution for feeding the world. Especially with tilapia and striped bass feeding production crops the required nutrients through their waste.

I may venture into aquaponics once the first few runs of the hydroponic system I posted show results. I think I could easily run the pump from a larger fish tank to circulate the water. The plants would then filter the water through their microbes to benefit the fish.

Large scale economics are the question?????
Kathy Ellen

Hydroponics system

Post by Kathy Ellen »

[QUOTE=halfway;1342385]I believe you can, but the space required would negate the use of lights/indoor ability. I think aquaponics, the combination of fish and hydro would be a great combo for rice and is asolution for feeding the world. Especially with tilapia and striped bass feeding production crops the required nutrients through their waste.

I may venture into aquaponics once the first few runs of the hydroponic system I posted show results. I think I could easily run the pump from a larger fish tank to circulate the water. The plants would then filter the water through their microbes to benefit the fish.

Hi Halfway,

Welcome to the garden. Hope you have a lovely stay here.

I like your ideas. I'm so sick of buying produce such as herbs and lettuce, and find that it's rotten or old when I look at it more carefully at home.

I'm going to buy one of those devises advertised on the telly that allow you go grow herbs and lettuce. I wouldn't have the patience to do what you're doing. But, good for you. Keep us posted on your project...very interesting.
halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Where was the pic taken Kathy? Ireland?
Kathy Ellen

Hydroponics system

Post by Kathy Ellen »

halfway;1342395 wrote: Where was the pic taken Kathy? Ireland?

Yes, it's the Cliffs of Moher in Co. Clare. One of my cousins lives close by.
halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Very cool!!! I think our 2011 trip is gonna get squeezed as the dollar tanks. Last summer was a great opportunity, but we could not make it work. That is totally beautiful!
halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

This photo was taken on November 5th, 10 days after germination and 5 days after transplanting. They are looking good so far!!!

halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Here is an updated photo taken on November 8th. Substantial growth in just 3 days. I am journaling this method on a blog as friends and relatives are wanting to see the progress. I am impressed so far!!

Frugal Hydroponics

halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Explosive growth! This was taken on November 15th. These were all germinated 25-26 October, so about 25 days from seed. I am impressed with this so far and don't see why we can't have fresh, pesticide free greens all winter.

And the basil smells incredible!!! I am keeping this runniing as somewhat a journal on a blog. Frugal Hydroponics

halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

The above photo was taken on November 27th. This is after many harvests which have kept it and the basil trimmed back.

We are at day 27 days (in the photo, 36 days as of today) in the ebb and flow system and this has produced many salads and BLTs. Probably $10 to $15 in lettuce. We have used several batches of basil and have quite a bit in the freezer as well.

I am building 2 DWC systems to allow continuous harvests of lettuce. I'll post when I get it up and running both here and on the blog.

This has been very productive so far and I am keeping it is a cheap as possible.
flopstock

Hydroponics system

Post by flopstock »

Do you keep pulling leaves from the same plants?:-2
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Flopstock....yes.

I pull all the largest lettuce leaves about every other day and that is enough for 2 large salads, a few BLT/sandwiches etc. They probably have another couple weeks before the bolt and go to seed. At that point they will become bitter and are done.

The basil can be plucked continuously as well, but it will last much longer.
halfway

Hydroponics system

Post by halfway »

Here is the system I just built. I also posted it and some notes to the blog. This is a very simple system and will allow much more production while freeing up the ebb and flow system for additional basil and cilantro. Very cool!!

YouTube - Deep Water Culture Hydroponic system design and build 18 Dec 2010

Frugal Hydroponics: Design and Build of the Deep Water Culture (DWC)

Return to “Science Technology Videos”