USA support for Israel

dchistoryman

USA support for Israel

Post by dchistoryman »

Not sure this is the correct forum but I will post anyway. Without boring anyone I do have to give some background. I spend some time working for NGO,s in the Middle East. I have in the been involved in research to provide Western Governments with position papers on the various conflicts in the area. (this excludes Iran/Iraq, thank goodness)

With the latest initiatives in the peace process stalling and tension rising in Lebanon yet again (the results of the enquiry into Hariri seniors assasination are expected shortly) I am constantly asked by ordinary people in the region as to why regardless of which political party occupies the White House support for Israel is unflinching regardless of it's actions. Oh and before anyone states it I am well aware of the behaviour of other groups in the area and I understand no-one has clean hands. I need a pithy one lner to tell these people, help me out. Gte me the answers by Friday and I can try them out in Beirut Saturday :-)
TruthBringer

USA support for Israel

Post by TruthBringer »

dchistoryman;1342184 wrote: Not sure this is the correct forum but I will post anyway. Without boring anyone I do have to give some background. I spend some time working for NGO,s in the Middle East. I have in the been involved in research to provide Western Governments with position papers on the various conflicts in the area. (this excludes Iran/Iraq, thank goodness)

With the latest initiatives in the peace process stalling and tension rising in Lebanon yet again (the results of the enquiry into Hariri seniors assasination are expected shortly) I am constantly asked by ordinary people in the region as to why regardless of which political party occupies the White House support for Israel is unflinching regardless of it's actions. Oh and before anyone states it I am well aware of the behaviour of other groups in the area and I understand no-one has clean hands. I need a pithy one lner to tell these people, help me out. Gte me the answers by Friday and I can try them out in Beirut Saturday :-)
I believe the main reason why the American government assumes it needs to have Israels back on everything is because America is a Christian nation which tolerates other religions as well as the anti-religious and I believe the American people therefore are extremely sympathetic towards Israel for that reason (aside from the fact that it is said that Jesus was born in Judea which was a mountainous region in ancient Israel) and all American politicians realize this and try to use it for leverage in persuading the citizens of America to go along with their agendas. Not to mention that we are well aware of what the Jewish people had to go through during World War 2. However I also believe people are starting to wake up and realize that it was bankers who helped finance Hitler during World War 2 and helped him rise to power. Along with American companies that provided much of the materials needed for his tanks, etc. Likewise, there is also corruption in the Israeli government. I don't believe that the American people really give two shits about the Israeli government as long as it minds it's p's and q's and takes care of it's citizens. It is the Israeli people however and the country of Israel that I believe Americans identify most with the Bible and the decendants of Moses, etc. So yes, the Bible is probably the single greatest reason that the American people like the country of Israel. I think George W Bush as much as it was fake tapped into this sympathy very much while he was President and yes he made many references to the Bible as well even though he is a Satanist/Luciferian behind the scenes as is his father and neither one of them cares much for Israel at all other than to be used as a focal point for the Anglo Societies plans for the Middle East..

But you see....Israel can be used as a tool. A political tool for politicans to use as a sympathy card. And with that card they can try and convince people to accept military action against certain nations, etc. But the American people are waking up to that tactic as well.

Don't tell them all that though just tell them that it has to do with the Bible/Moses/Jesus/etc.
Link removed by moderator
dchistoryman

USA support for Israel

Post by dchistoryman »

Damn! I was going to tell them it was because of the Jewish media lobby!
TruthBringer

USA support for Israel

Post by TruthBringer »

dchistoryman;1342188 wrote: Damn! I was going to tell them it was because of the Jewish media lobby!

Or you could just do that.
Link removed by moderator
gmc

USA support for Israel

Post by gmc »

Guilt. Anti-semitism was rife in America and many prominent figures supported hitler and were openly anti-semitic. there were deliberate steps taken to prevent jewish immigration even after it became clear what was happening and ww2 had started - although most countries around the world felt the same way , they didn't want an unflux of refugees and took steps to prevent it. It was only after the relief of the cincentration camps that the consequences of such attuitudes were brought home. Post ww2 the jews in america were the only centre where there were large enough numbers to form any kind of leadership and they were wealthy enough to have influence and bear in mind everybody else was bankrupt so US support was crucial. Israel was created to salve the conscience of the western powers.

Refugees

Plus there's all these nutters that think that because they had israel in biblical times god wants them to have it back. The myth of the promised land made whole again. Except there ae people already there just as there was all those years ago.
Bryn Mawr

USA support for Israel

Post by Bryn Mawr »

dchistoryman;1342188 wrote: Damn! I was going to tell them it was because of the Jewish media lobby!

That was my understanding (from the outside as it is) - the lobby and the block voting.
Saint_

USA support for Israel

Post by Saint_ »

Actually I like the Israelis for a couple of reasons:

1. Yeah, my father was there in Germany at the liberation of the death camps and that psychic shockwave certainly rebounds across my psyche as well.

2. I actually met death camp survivors in college in a class called 'The Holocaust." They came to our class to speak and my hair is still standing on end because of it. I feel bad for them.

3. I'm perenially for the underdog. israel is surrounded by extremely EVIL countries who've all got it out for them, especially Iran.

4. I like scrappy fighters. The Israelis don't take crap off anyone. Remember when they hunted down the Olympic murderers? Or when they liberated that airport? or the Six-Days War? Or when they bombed that nuclear power plant? They think it up and do it. They don't waffle, or ask permission.

(It would be even more cool if I wasn't worried they were going to start WWIII.)
koan

USA support for Israel

Post by koan »

Saint_;1342291 wrote: Actually I like the Israelis for a couple of reasons:

1. Yeah, my father was there in Germany at the liberation of the death camps and that psychic shockwave certainly rebounds across my psyche as well.

2. I actually met death camp survivors in college in a class called 'The Holocaust." They came to our class to speak and my hair is still standing on end because of it. I feel bad for them.

3. I'm perenially for the underdog. israel is surrounded by extremely EVIL countries who've all got it out for them, especially Iran.

4. I like scrappy fighters. The Israelis don't take crap off anyone. Remember when they hunted down the Olympic murderers? Or when they liberated that airport? or the Six-Days War? Or when they bombed that nuclear power plant? They think it up and do it. They don't waffle, or ask permission.

(It would be even more cool if I wasn't worried they were going to start WWIII.)
1)have you seen any Palestinians lately?

2)one would think you hadn't read the Old Testament. Joshua massacred at an epic level ordered by God to spare no man woman or child.

3)underdogs? they're God's chosen people. From what I understand they're just good at pretending they're the underdog.

4)scrappy fighters? wow. how about bulldozers of the innocent?
Saint_

USA support for Israel

Post by Saint_ »

koan;1342302 wrote: 1)have you seen any Palestinians lately?

From what I've read, there aren't any true "Palestinians." The various conglomerate of nomadic tribes in that region that call themselves "Palestinians" now, weren't ever a nation. Kind of like if the transients in your city suddenly got together and said a certain park was "theirs."

2)one would think you hadn't read the Old Testament. Joshua massacred at an epic level ordered by God to spare no man woman or child.

I'm more concerned with the present than the past. If I assigned guilt based on distant ancestors, I'd owe a lot of Brits for the massacres of the Vikings and the entire Cro-Magnon race would owe the Neanderthals for extincting them.

3)underdogs? they're God's chosen people. From what I understand they're just good at pretending they're the underdog.

According to my faith, unless they come around and get on board with Jesus, they just lost that protection.

4)scrappy fighters? wow. how about bulldozers of the innocent?

Oh COME ON, Koan! You know as well as I do that the "Palestinians," for want of a better word, have been nuking Israeli cities day and night for decades now, killing innocent women and children without a care in the world. They have homicide-bombed nightclubs full of teens and even blew apart a children's toy store! Somehow the Israelis are the bad guys for defending themselves?!!

The Israelis have shown incredible restraint. Try to imagine what the U.S. would do if the Canadians had attacked us in the same way. Canada, as a country, would have ceased to exist.
koan

USA support for Israel

Post by koan »

Saint_;1342305 wrote: From what I've read, there aren't any true "Palestinians." The various conglomerate of nomadic tribes in that region that call themselves "Palestinians" now, weren't ever a nation. Kind of like if the transients in your city suddenly got together and said a certain park was "theirs."
ok...Have you seen any footage of the people who used to live in Israel before it was called that?

I'm more concerned with the present than the past. If I assigned guilt based on distant ancestors, I'd owe a lot of Brits for the massacres of the Vikings and the entire Cro-Magnon race would owe the Neanderthals for extincting them.
Alrighty, so let's forget you mentioned Hitler.

According to my faith, unless they come around and get on board with Jesus, they just lost that protection.
They don't much care what you think as you're not one of the chosen people.

Oh COME ON, Koan! You know as well as I do that the "Palestinians," for want of a better word, have been nuking Israeli cities day and night for decades now, killing innocent women and children without a care in the world. They have homicide-bombed nightclubs full of teens and even blew apart a children's toy store! Somehow the Israelis are the bad guys for defending themselves?!!
I know the Israelis have nukes. When did the people not really called Palestinians get them? Also, shall we look at the percentages for how many "Palestinians" are killed for every Jew?

The Israelis have shown incredible restraint. Try to imagine what the U.S. would do if the Canadians had attacked us in the same way. Canada, as a country, would have ceased to exist.

Just try and take us. We won last time. :p

Really though, restraint? They have gone far enough to lose support from most of the world who were willing to overlook a few extra bombs. They are now in the war crimes category.
Saint_

USA support for Israel

Post by Saint_ »

koan;1342308 wrote: ok...Have you seen any footage of the people who used to live in Israel before it was called that?

No...I just read that. Did they exist as a country? What was their country called? Wait let me look it up! Well it says here that the Ottoman empire ruled that part of the world so the "Palestinians" did not exist as a country. I was right.

They don't much care what you think as you're not one of the chosen people.

True...but I still like them. :)

I know the Israelis have nukes. When did the people not really called Palestinians get them?

Slang: "nuking" as in using random missile attacks on civilian targets.

Also, shall we look at the percentages for how many "Palestinians" are killed for every Jew?

A street gang kills your spouse in a parking lot. You wipe them out. Justified. Aggressors can't complain about casualties.:yh_wave

Just try and take us. We won last time. :p

Really though, restraint? They have gone far enough to lose support from most of the world who were willing to overlook a few extra bombs. They are now in the war crimes category.

And to me that's completely unfair. Is anyone concerned about all the Israeli children that the "palestinians" have killed? No, somehow they are "poor" and "put upon." To me, they are stone killers. I honestly would not be upset if the Israelis, who have made concession after concession while the "palestinians" have laughed at every one, pushed them right out of Gaza and into the ocean.
koan

USA support for Israel

Post by koan »

So you are willing to deny their existence because they didn't have a flag?

If the Israelites were given that land by God and God had them lose it then I don't see what their claim to it is now. Either way, they weren't there and now they are but someone else was there before they came back.

You could use your same argument about watching children/spouses die to justify suicide attacks so don't use the argument. Since the Israelites were not there before the people of no flag, one can assume the invaders fired the first nuke.
dchistoryman

USA support for Israel

Post by dchistoryman »

Illustrated above are exactly the problems we have when working in the region. Anyone can interpret history how they like especially when using sources such as the bible. I would be very careful of using such sources as historically accurate.

Yes there are evil people in the area but having travelled extensively in the area I would just say that the attitude of the man/woman in the street in Syria, jordan and Lebanon for example is markedy different from the same in Israel.

Another point has emerged which we come across time and again, the elephant in the room.. the Holocaust. It is almost impossible to have a discussion re Israel that does not support a Zionist line and be accused of being anti-semite. We cannot change history it happened all we can do is to stop it happeneing again. Unfortunately because of the cruelty of man there have been massacares though history (China, Russia, Armenia et al). It should not allow any soveriegn nation to use it as an excuse to act as it likes.

As far as threat goes yes some of the countries in the region are dangerous but remember Israel is fully nuclear capable and I think that also lends the key to how the USA treats them. It is no bad thing to have a strong pro western highly armed country in that region.

I am off to Beirut later today and will see what the mood is, all very interesting.
gmc

USA support for Israel

Post by gmc »

posted by dchistoryman

Yes there are evil people in the area but having travelled extensively in the area I would just say that the attitude of the man/woman in the street in Syria, jordan and Lebanon for example is markedy different from the same in Israel.

Could you elaborate a bit about what you mean?

Another point has emerged which we come across time and again, the elephant in the room.. the Holocaust. It is almost impossible to have a discussion re Israel that does not support a Zionist line and be accused of being anti-semite. We cannot change history it happened all we can do is to stop it happeneing again. Unfortunately because of the cruelty of man there have been massacares though history (China, Russia, Armenia et al). It should not allow any soveriegn nation to use it as an excuse to act as it likes.

That's why I say guilt. the brutal reality is that most people didn't care if hitter discriminated against the jews, after two thousand years of Christian propaganda blaming them for killing jesus there are many who thought they brought it on themselves, even so it was the sheer horror of the death camps that was such a shock. There have been massacres throughout history just not on such an industrial scale. Americans like to kid themselves they went to war to stop Hitler but the reality is if he hadn't declared war on them they would not have entered the european war. That post war guilt has a lot to do with it.

As far as threat goes yes some of the countries in the region are dangerous but remember Israel is fully nuclear capable and I think that also lends the key to how the USA treats them. It is no bad thing to have a strong pro western highly armed country in that region.

post ww2 most of the countries in the region were not exactly stable thanks in no small part to being footballs in the great imperial game. you can't change the past but it seems you can't learn from it either. The arabs were also promised a homeland post ww1 as a bribe to get their help against the turks but there have always been those who favoured a jewish homeland. Why do people expect common sense and fair play in international politics? To paraphrase gladstone, if anybody has an answer to the problem of the middle east they probably misunderstood the question. Countries like syria and jordan - what's it like having a nuclear armed nation run by religious extremists who believe they are god's chosen people right next door? Turkey has it's own religious nutters and look what happened last time they got a grip on power. come to think of it compared to europe the middle east can seem relatively sane. When was the last time they tried to destroy each other and wiped out millions in the process? If you think about it sensible we can't really take the moral high ground can we?
Bryn Mawr

USA support for Israel

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Saint_;1342291 wrote: Actually I like the Israelis for a couple of reasons:

Saint_;1342305 wrote: From what I've read, there aren't any true "Palestinians." The various conglomerate of nomadic tribes in that region that call themselves "Palestinians" now, weren't ever a nation. Kind of like if the transients in your city suddenly got together and said a certain park was "theirs."

Saint_;1342313 wrote: No...I just read that. Did they exist as a country? What was their country called? Wait let me look it up! Well it says here that the Ottoman empire ruled that part of the world so the "Palestinians" did not exist as a country. I was right.

True...but I still like them. :)

Slang: "nuking" as in using random missile attacks on civilian targets.

A street gang kills your spouse in a parking lot. You wipe them out. Justified. Aggressors can't complain about casualties.:yh_wave

And to me that's completely unfair. Is anyone concerned about all the Israeli children that the "palestinians" have killed? No, somehow they are "poor" and "put upon." To me, they are stone killers. I honestly would not be upset if the Israelis, who have made concession after concession while the "palestinians" have laughed at every one, pushed them right out of Gaza and into the ocean.

Wow Saint, that has to be the most mis-informed and biased set of posts I have ever seen in the Garden and it's the best proof ever of the effectiveness of the Israeli media lobby.

Shall we take a few of the points?

No true Palestinians.

At the time of the Balfour treaty and at the start of Jewish immigration into Palestine the population was in the millions and was, as near as dammit, as great as the land would bear given the agriculture and water abstraction techniques of the time. Indeed, one of the major riders put on the British Mandate was that any immigration should not be to the detriment of the native population and, when the rate of entry became so high that this was no longer true, the British called a moratorium on further immigration. It was at this point that the Jews resorted to terrorist tactics and leaders such as David Ben Gurrion and Ariel Sharron were listed as wanted terrorists. To suggest that there were no Palestinians because the land was part of the Ottoman Empire is like suggesting that there are no Serbians because it was part of Yugoslavia.

Israel is the underdog.

No single country or combination of countries bordering Israel has sufficient armed force to overcome the IDF so how is she the underdog?

I'd reverse that giver Israeli action in the Gaza Strip, Israel is the big bully and the Palestinians are the underdogs.

Palestinians have been nuking Israeli cities day and night for decades killing innocent women and children.

Can you "nuke" a city with a home-made rocket that has a range of maybe a mile, no guidance system and very little payload? As for day and night for decades, how many do you think they've launched? It's hundreds, not hundreds of thousands. How many have landed in populated areas? It's tens not hundreds. How many casualties? About one tenth of one percent of the women and children killed by the Israelis in "retaliation". In a tit-for-tat war who is retaliating against whom?

As for suicide killers, the first reference I can find to such was an off duty IDF soldier who walked into a Mosque during Friday prayers and started machine gunning down the worshippers and kept going until he was killed. Somehow the Palestinians are bad guys for defending themselves. Tell me, who is the aggressor? Who started the violence? On what basis are you assigning blame?

Israeli restraint.

Restraint is using a proportionate response and what we see is anything but that. How long is is since the firing of a dozen rockets that hurt no-one resulted in the occupation of Gaza with the loss of hundreds of lives including many crushed when their homes were bulldozed on top of them and the shelling of schools and the UN relief compound. The ongoing blockade of Gaza is, literally, criminal.

Israeli Concessions.

These have always been of the form "we'll stop building any further illegal settlements on your land. The only settlements they've removed are those NOT sitting on top of the only water source in the area. Some concession!

At the end of the day, all of the violence in the area is wrong. Whether it was right in the 1920s to allow such a large influx of people into an area without the resources to support them I do not know but I do know that the current cycle of violence has been going on for over sixty years and is the direct result of that decision. To call one side evil for using violence and consider the other totally justified in their use of even more violence is unsupportable and certainly does not help in resolving the conflict.
dchistoryman

USA support for Israel

Post by dchistoryman »

GMC- What I mean't by the man/wpman in the street was that I have generally observed in discussions in the countries I mentioned that there was a desire to find a solution and they realised that really a "two State" solution" was required. OK they would rather not have it but they could see it was the only way. In Israel however the general stance was much more hard line.

Hooray someone finally came up with ethe Balfour Declaration.. yes it was basically our (UK) fault and believe me it has been quoted back to me on many occasions, goes with being an ex colonial power I guess.

Proportionate response is interesting, i do try and remain neutral in these things, it's part of the job but I have to say that although there is no dobt that anti-Israeli forces in the area show little restraint when attacking Israeli targets I am not sure that the response by the IDF could be considered "proportionate" I was on the recieving end in Beirut in 2006 and it did not seem proportionate but I did get to meet the chef Anthony Bourdain as we were all evacuated to the same hotel so it wasn't all bad.
gmc

USA support for Israel

Post by gmc »

dchistoryman;1342489 wrote: GMC- What I mean't by the man/wpman in the street was that I have generally observed in discussions in the countries I mentioned that there was a desire to find a solution and they realised that really a "two State" solution" was required. OK they would rather not have it but they could see it was the only way. In Israel however the general stance was much more hard line.

Hooray someone finally came up with ethe Balfour Declaration.. yes it was basically our (UK) fault and believe me it has been quoted back to me on many occasions, goes with being an ex colonial power I guess.

Proportionate response is interesting, i do try and remain neutral in these things, it's part of the job but I have to say that although there is no dobt that anti-Israeli forces in the area show little restraint when attacking Israeli targets I am not sure that the response by the IDF could be considered "proportionate" I was on the recieving end in Beirut in 2006 and it did not seem proportionate but I did get to meet the chef Anthony Bourdain as we were all evacuated to the same hotel so it wasn't all bad.

The other reality is the surrounding nations were terribly concerned about the Palestinians either, the 1948 war was a land grab by all concerned with the palestinians the football in the middle. Until the palestinians started blowing up planes no one cared about their situation. What is remarkable is that Palestinians have been every bit as stubborn as the Israelis in keeping their national identity but get regarded as an irritation rather than heroic defenders of their national identity. When you get two religions each of which claims to be the one true religion nothing will be resolved till all the killing is done. In europe the protestant/catholic wars ended when people got fed up killing each other over it, OK they found other reason to fight but religious warfare always bring out the worst in humanity. When you have extremists in power all you are going to get is warfare. There is no such thing as a proportionate response in war there is just war. I think it's the israelis and the US that need to back down, you can't persuade the Palestinians to hold elections and then ignore the result because it wasn't quite what you wanted. maybe the best option os fopr the supporting countries on all sides to withdraw support and let the israelis and Palestinians go to war with each other until the matter is settled. One tribe defeats another and takes over, and hundreds of years later you can't tell them apart, twas ever do.

Return to “International Politics”