Peonies are cool..

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
daylilies

Peonies are cool..

Post by daylilies »

Here are a few of my peonies that I have. I started with peonies because how big the flower usually 6+ inches. I was going to hybridize peonies but it takes way to long to see a flower from seed. Just not me. I am the guy that wants everything now.

Snowfire

Peonies are cool..

Post by Snowfire »

Our peonies are beautiful - a deep ruby red variety - when they bloom in the spring but dont blink or you'll miss them. Spring just gone, I enjoyed them for 3 days, then a strong wind finished them off
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
daylilies

Peonies are cool..

Post by daylilies »

Their are three types of peonies:

$ Herbaceous peonies - Most common found in nurseries and big box, most of the time these flowers end up on the ground.

$$ Inter-sectional peonies - are a cross between the herbaceous peony and the tree peony. These are great leaf and has more strength in the steams. Since they are recent introductions and are still in short supply, they command a higher price.

$$$ Tree peonies - have woody stems that lose their leaves in the fall, but the woody stems stay intact. They tend to bloom earlier and with larger flowers. They tend to hold the huge flowers perfectly.

If you are looking for peonies start with the Inter-sectional or tree peonies they are more money but are really a better plant.
fuzzywuzzy

Peonies are cool..

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I read that title with an accent .....I shall leave this thread now and not think about penis's .

sorry :wah:
daylilies

Peonies are cool..

Post by daylilies »

LOL - That is too funny!
tabby

Peonies are cool..

Post by tabby »

I have a tree peony but that's actually a misnomer in this case as it doesn't seem willing or able to grow above 3 feet. It does bloom prolifically though with deep burgundy colored flowers every year without fail.
Kathy Ellen

Peonies are cool..

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yes, peonies are gorgeous. I fell in love with peonies after reading the book "Peony," written by Pearl S. Buck when I was 15 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peony_(novel)

I must go out soon and buy a bouquet of peonies:-6

Attached files

Return to “Gardening Forum”