First Flight/Cruise....HELP!!!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Next Friday, Nov 5th, I will be doing what I always swore I would never do...I'll be flying from Illionis to Florida. The only reason I am doing this is because on the 8th me and my oldest daughter will be setting out on a cruise in the Bahama's.

The thought of the cruise doesn't bother me, (I just won't watch Titanic before i go) and i love the water...now the flight is a whole nother game. I am absolutely terrified of flying and have never set foot on a plane. Any words of comfort would be appreciated and no, getting drunk before going is not an option.:wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

OH boy sounds like fun. Just close your eye hold your daughters hand and before you know it your gliding in the air on your way to Florida. It is a very peaceful feeling once the plane is in the air I think you will enjoy it. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Take a nice book to read, you will be there in no time.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

shelbell;1341270 wrote: Next Friday, Nov 5th, I will be doing what I always swore I would never do...I'll be flying from Illionis to Florida. The only reason I am doing this is because on the 8th me and my oldest daughter will be setting out on a cruise in the Bahama's.

The thought of the cruise doesn't bother me, (I just won't watch Titanic before i go) and i love the water...now the flight is a whole nother game. I am absolutely terrified of flying and have never set foot on a plane. Any words of comfort would be appreciated and no, getting drunk before going is not an option.:wah:You sure are a brave lass Shel as I gave up flying years ago due to a bad experience BUT that was a one off as I know but just cant get it out of my mind.Shame as Chris wanted to take me to New York awhile ago and I also get seasick so ended up in Bognar fgs:o

I so admire you for this trip and of COURSE all will be ok and you will prob think....why was I so scared:-2.Just wished I would listen to my own advice at times:thinking:.Have a fab time as I am sure you will.;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

If you can sit in a chair, you can fly on a plane. Truly. Consider it an adventure and a fear you'll soon overcome, another hurdle you've crossed. You'll be proud of yourself.

We travel quite a bit by plane and IMO the biggest hassles of flying are the lay-overs, airport security, etc. But once on the plane, just close your eyes and let it be. You're up there with the clouds and birds and rainbows. (For a little while anyway, it's beautiful to look out on.) Know too, if you're brave enough to drive a car or be a passenger, flying is less dangerous.

Is your flight direct or do you have a lay-over? If there's a lay-over, I can give you some tips. Otherwise, just enjoy - it will go fast and you'll be there! Stronger than before!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Just remember to pump your feet like you are riding a bike, on takeoff.:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

shelbell

Post by shelbell »

CARLA;1341276 wrote: OH boy sounds like fun. Just close your eye hold your daughters hand and before you know it your gliding in the air on your way to Florida. It is a very peaceful feeling once the plane is in the air I think you will enjoy it. :-6

I sure hope you're right Carla...I know it sounds fun, but my first flight is a window seat and I am terrified of heights!
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

chonsigirl;1341277 wrote: Take a nice book to read, you will be there in no time.

I will chonsi, thankfully it's only a 3 hour flight.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Carolly;1341278 wrote: You sure are a brave lass Shel as I gave up flying years ago due to a bad experience BUT that was a one off as I know but just cant get it out of my mind.Shame as Chris wanted to take me to New York awhile ago and I also get seasick so ended up in Bognar fgs:o

I so admire you for this trip and of COURSE all will be ok and you will prob think....why was I so scared:-2.Just wished I would listen to my own advice at times:thinking:.Have a fab time as I am sure you will.;)

Thanks Carol! This did not calm me down!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I am as well flying is a totally different feeling trust me looking down, or out on the horizon is wonderful on a plane. Many times your in the clouds and see nothing. Being in the clouds is a wonderful feeling..!!

I sure hope you're right Carla...I know it sounds fun, but my first flight is a window seat and I am terrified of heights!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Carolly

Post by Carolly »

shelbell;1341313 wrote: Thanks Carol! This did not calm me down!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflAhhh but it made you laugh so we are halfway there:wah:

Look I ended up in flipping Bognar because Im a wimp so you go for it girl and you will have a ball i'm sure.You could aways not go to bed for a couple of nights then have a good sleep on the plane or better still have a couple of Port and Babycham's and you wont know what day it is never mind where you are:-3.Now Im off before I dig this hole any bigger;)....you will have a fab time im sure and enjoy every minute.;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

CinnamonBear;1341283 wrote: If you can sit in a chair, you can fly on a plane. Truly. Consider it an adventure and a fear you'll soon overcome, another hurdle you've crossed. You'll be proud of yourself.

We travel quite a bit by plane and IMO the biggest hassles of flying are the lay-overs, airport security, etc. But once on the plane, just close your eyes and let it be. You're up there with the clouds and birds and rainbows. (For a little while anyway, it's beautiful to look out on.) Know too, if you're brave enough to drive a car or be a passenger, flying is less dangerous.

Is your flight direct or do you have a lay-over? If there's a lay-over, I can give you some tips. Otherwise, just enjoy - it will go fast and you'll be there! Stronger than before!

Thanks CB, thankfully it's a direct flight !
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

flopstock;1341307 wrote: Just remember to pump your feet like you are riding a bike, on takeoff.:wah:

yabba dabba do!! :yh_rotfl
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Flying in a airplane is a wonderful experience. Just take a good book to read and relax. Let the stewards take care of you and the crew do their job. If you can, look out your window at the clouds below you. You are closer to the stars than you have ever been.

The take off and the landing are so exhilarating! What a rush! :wah:

Enjoy your trip!:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Post by Lon »

shelbell;1341270 wrote: Next Friday, Nov 5th, I will be doing what I always swore I would never do...I'll be flying from Illionis to Florida. The only reason I am doing this is because on the 8th me and my oldest daughter will be setting out on a cruise in the Bahama's.

The thought of the cruise doesn't bother me, (I just won't watch Titanic before i go) and i love the water...now the flight is a whole nother game. I am absolutely terrified of flying and have never set foot on a plane. Any words of comfort would be appreciated and no, getting drunk before going is not an option.:wah:

You have time-------------------------contact the airlines and share your concerns and they will follow up with some helpful suggestions---give them your flight information.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

shelbell;1341322 wrote: Thanks CB, thankfully it's a direct flight !

Perfect! First flights should always be direct. OMGosh, yes.

I'm happy for you.

PS - bring a sweater on board; planes get cold no matter where they're going. ;)
spot

Post by spot »

shelbell;1341270 wrote: I am absolutely terrified of flying and have never set foot on a plane. Any words of comfort would be appreciated and no, getting drunk before going is not an option.:wah:The pilot and flight crew expect to draw pensions, they'd not board the aircraft if they didn't feel it was as safe a place to spend their day as sitting in an office. You might believe you'd be at risk if you were flying it yourself, but I think you could talk yourself into trusting the professionals who do it hundreds of times a year. Grit your teeth, suck a lozenge so your ears don't hurt and gaze at the view.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

CARLA;1341317 wrote: I am as well flying is a totally different feeling trust me looking down, or out on the horizon is wonderful on a plane. Many times your in the clouds and see nothing. Being in the clouds is a wonderful feeling..!!

thanks Carla...you make it sound so nice...I need nice right now!:)
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

along-for-the-ride;1341328 wrote: Flying in a airplane is a wonderful experience. Just take a good book to read and relax. Let the stewards take care of you and the crew do their job. If you can, look out your window at the clouds below you. You are closer to the stars than you have ever been.

The take off and the landing are so exhilarating! What a rush! :wah:

Enjoy your trip!:)

Thanks aftr! Most people have told me that taking off and landing are the worst part and to chew lots of gum.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Lon;1341332 wrote: You have time-------------------------contact the airlines and share your concerns and they will follow up with some helpful suggestions---give them your flight information.

Thanks Lon, something I never thought of...
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

spot;1341342 wrote: The pilot and flight crew expect to draw pensions, they'd not board the aircraft if they didn't feel it was as safe a place to spend their day as sitting in an office. You might believe you'd be at risk if you were flying it yourself, but I think you could talk yourself into trusting the professionals who do it hundreds of times a year. Grit your teeth, suck a lozenge so your ears don't hurt and gaze at the view.

Thanks spot, I never looked at it from that perspective before...makes a lot of sense. :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”