elimination of the term mental retardation

A forum for our physically challenged members.
thomas40

Post by thomas40 »

there is a new law that has just passed its rosa's law elminates the term mental

retardation
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This is a good thing.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

thomas40;1339762 wrote: there is a new law that has just passed its rosa's law elminates the term mental

retardation

What's the new term to be? Mentally deficient? Mentally impaired?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Where is this law? You can get arrested for calling someone retarded? I'm sorry but the whole definition of retardation and it's use in medical books to describe an irregularity is a proper word. (yes I've heard it's been taken from dictionaries)

Definitions of retardation on the Web:

* deceleration: a decrease in rate of change; "the deceleration of the arms race"

* the extent to which something is delayed or held back

* retardant: any agent that retards or delays or hinders; "flame-retardant"

* lack of normal development of intellectual capacities

* slowdown: the act of slowing down or falling behind

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* A nonchord tone, nonharmonic tone, or non-harmony note is a note in a piece of music which is not a part of the implied harmony that is described by the other notes sounding at the time. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retardation_(music)

* The act of retarding or delaying; hindrance; The extent to which anything is retarded; the result of any retarding or delay; mental, social, or physical slowness; That which retards; an obstacle; an obstruction

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/retardation

* mentally retarded: people collectively who are mentally retarded; "he started a school for the retarded"

* retarded - relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development; "providing a secure and sometimes happy life for the retarded"

* retarded - Delayed in development; Of a person, having mental retardation; By extension, of a person or thing, stupid; senseless; irrational; Under the influence of alcohol

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/retarded

* The delay in propagation of a radio wave near the critical frequency caused by the slowing down of the wave by the ionosphere.

www.sciencemaster.com/physical/item/solar_glossary.php

* Retardation is when someone's mind works in a different way than the normal human brain. Those with retardation process things differently, especially at a slower rate than the average human.

library.thinkquest.org/07aug/01473/Glossary.htm

* Slowness in development.

www.sbaaz.org/resources_glossary.php

* The amount of time by which corresponding tidal phases grow later day by day (about 50 minutes).

www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/swces/produ ... ds/n_r.htm

* (See "Reevaluation.")

www.summerjoy.com/Glossary.html
Definitions of mental retardation on the Web:

* retardation: lack of normal development of intellectual capacities

* Mental retardation (MR) is a generalized disorder, characterized by significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficits in two or more adaptive behaviors with onset before the age of 18. It has historically been defined as an Intelligence Quotient score under 70. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation

* A condition in which a person has an IQ that is below average and that affects an individual's learning, behavior, and development. This condition is present from birth.

science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih5/mental/other/glossary.htm

* abnormal brain function resulting in an IQ score of less than 70 (100 is average).

www.cbdmp.org/glossary.htm

* Delay in cognitive development including intellectual and adaptive skills. Usually defined as an IQ under 70.

access.autistics.org/resources/glossary/main.html

* (as defined by IDEA) means significantly sub average general intellectual functioning, existing concurrently [at the same time] with deficits in adaptive behavior and manifested during the developmental period, that adversely affects a child's educational performance.

www.oklahomaparentscenter.org/Dictionary.html

* A condition of arrested or incomplete development of mind of a person which is specially characterized by sub-normality of intelligence.

7thsurvey.ncert.nic.in/glossary.htm

* Intellectual functioning defined in statistical terms as at least two standard deviations below the mean. Microcephaly - A small head, defined in statistical terms as more than two standard deviations below the average size.

www.child-dev.com/page.cfm

* Below average intelligence.

www.pickonline.org/resource/3/

* (Intellectual Disability) is characterized both by a significant below-average score on a test of mental ability or intelligence and by limitations in three or more areas of adaptive living skills, including but not limited to communication, self-care, social skills, home living, functional ...

www.redwoodcoastrc.org/services/definitions

* The lack of intellectual functioning present in the normal individual. The preferred term is "developmental disability."

www.snowdenmentalhealth.com/glossary.mgi

* Mental retardation means unusually slow or impaired learning ability, plus impairment in adaptive functioning (life skills, social skills), and beginning before the age of 18, usually evident long before.

www.dss.mo.gov/cd/info/cwmanual/section7/glossary/m.htm

* An individual is considered to have mental retardation based on the following three criteria: intellectual functioning level (IQ) is below 70-75; significant limitations exist in two or more adaptive skill areas; and the condition is present from childhood (defined as age 18 or less).

www.ourspecialkids.org/definitions2.html

* Subnormal intellectual functioning associated with impairment in adaptive behaviour and identified at an early age.

www.wiley.com/legacy/products/worldwide ... ary_m.html

* Mental deficiency resulting form poor

www.craigmentalhealth.org/news-and-othe ... /glossary/
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Now what can I call my ex wife?

RedGlitter?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Lon;1339823 wrote: What's the new term to be? Mentally deficient? Mentally impaired?

intellectual disability
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

koan

Post by koan »

I feel a George Carlin moment coming on.

No matter what term replaces an old term turned derogatory, the new term will soon become an insult and have to be replaced as well. It's not the words that are the problem, it's the intention of the person who uses them.
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

koan;1339869 wrote: I feel a George Carlin moment coming on.

No matter what term replaces an old term turned derogatory, the new term will soon become an insult and have to be replaced as well. It's not the words that are the problem, it's the intention of the person who uses them.

There ya go. And very well put by a woman I might add!

So RedGlitter it is.

Hey Koan! Wassup my nigga?
koan

Post by koan »

JacksDad;1339871 wrote: There ya go. And very well put by a woman I might add!

So RedGlitter it is.

Hey Koan! Wassup my nigga?

Hey, homie. I've heard peeps don't even know what street Canada is on but you see me true. I'm gonna go kill a seal in your honor.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Lon;1339823 wrote: What's the new term to be? Mentally deficient? Mentally impaired?

If we must label people I prefer the word 'challenged'.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
spot

Post by spot »

The OP isn't quite right, it's "An Act to change references in Federal law to mental retardation to references to an intellectual disability, and change references to a mentally retarded individual to references to an individual with an intellectual disability". It only "eliminates the term mental retardation" from US legislation, retrospectively, it's not banning the old term from public use.

The laws will all now refer to "an individual with an intellectual disability", school-kids will carry on using Tards just the way they always have. The old-fashioned technical term, "idiots", seems to have passed its use-by date which is sad, it did the job perfectly well.

People who mess with language are morons.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
binbag

Post by binbag »

Lon, if rosa's law is adopted here in the UK, I'm sure the Polical Correct brigade will have a full blown conference with the outcome being...... "Mentally Impaired" as you suggest.

Mind you...."Emotionally Impaired" comes across a tad softer.

Sadly, you always get the mockers. It does become rather tiresome don't you think, so I think they all should be.....

O' but wait, that would be against their human rights.

A well back to the drawing board. :wah:

Seriously though, I think it is a good move.

Interesting post and replies.
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

spot;1339919 wrote: The OP isn't quite right, it's "An Act to change references in Federal law to mental retardation to references to an intellectual disability, and change references to a mentally retarded individual to references to an individual with an intellectual disability". It only "eliminates the term mental retardation" from US legislation, retrospectively, it's not banning the old term from public use.

The laws will all now refer to "an individual with an intellectual disability", school-kids will carry on using Tards just the way they always have. The old-fashioned technical term, "idiots", seems to have passed its use-by date which is sad, it did the job perfectly well.

People who mess with language are morons.

a person of subnormal intelligence Oh No they'll have to replace that as well lol lol lol

so is this legister supposed to take care of whom is to be executed? Because mental retardation was not a deterrent to executing those of subnormal intelligence.

It seems to me that if you can't do maths that's no excuse not to be executed under US federal law. Will this change of wording change reasoning as well?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

JacksDad;1339865 wrote: Now what can I call my ex wife?

RedGlitter?

Hang on I'll ask my ex to help you out with that. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

YOU A BAD BOY!!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1340113 wrote: Oh No they'll have to replace that as well lol lol lol

so is this legister supposed to take care of whom is to be executed? Because mental retardation was not a deterrent to executing those of subnormal intelligence.

It seems to me that if you can't do maths that's no excuse not to be executed under US federal law. Will this change of wording change reasoning as well?
Explicitly not, according to the act. The changes are "without any intent to change the coverage, eligibility, rights, responsibilities, or definitions referred to in the amended provisions".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
JetaSnutt

Post by JetaSnutt »

Hello! Happy to become right here, this is my very first post, hope later on times to obtain on well.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

JetaSnutt;1363856 wrote: Hello! Happy to become right here, this is my very first post, hope later on times to obtain on well.

Happy to have you. How did you pick this thread as the thread for your first post?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1363858 wrote: Happy to have you. How did you pick this thread as the thread for your first post?

Sad to say, your posts are the easiest to follow on this page..
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

Those last few are, I suspect, optimizing text for search engines but I'm not sure. I'd like to find out though. And how some of those show a post count of zero.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I just heard about this yesterday in a training session. All our documentation has changed the designation from "MR" to "ID". This is going to take some getting used to.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1363901 wrote: All our documentation has changed the designation from "MR" to "ID". This is going to take some getting used to.Not least among those with an ID presumably. Or will you not tell them?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1363898 wrote: Those last few are, I suspect, optimizing text for search engines but I'm not sure. I'd like to find out though. And how some of those show a post count of zero.

They are posts awaiting moderation and, therefore, not counted.
spot

Post by spot »

The system's set to display posts awaiting moderation? How odd.

eta: ah. They're only visible to those who can moderate, aren't they.

I'm a bit slow sometimes.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1363891 wrote: Sad to say, your posts are the easiest to follow on this page..

:yh_rotfl And of course after I re-read my post I can hardly understand it.
LuchianaGup

Post by LuchianaGup »

hi all...
spot

Post by spot »

LuchianaGup;1365720 wrote: hi all...

Good lord a poster from Kiev. We don't get many posters from Kiev. Well... that's not entirely true, but we don't get many posters from Kiev who talk to us and join in socially. Talk to us and join in socially.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Illinois recently passed this law(or one similar).

Return to “Physically Challenged”