Port visibility

spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

If anyone would like to click **Home of Gibson Research Corporation** and Services / ShieldsUp and Proceed, and then click Common Ports, there's a text button under the results. I'd be quite interested to see a selection of results from different people.

Here's mine, for reference:GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-10-02 at 16:38:29

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,

119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,

1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

26 Ports Stealth

---------------------

26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,

- NO unsolicited packets were received,

- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Port visibility

Post by Betty Boop »

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Is that what you wanted?

ah.....

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-10-02 at 16:53:23

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

26 Ports Stealth

---------------------

26 Ports Tested

kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

Whats this about?:-3 and hi |BB not seen you around for a while hope you are fine:)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

kazalala;1336222 wrote: Whats this about?:-3I don't run lots of operating systems, Kaz. I'm wondering how different ones are seen by that test and how they connect to the Internet, whether it's dial-up, cable, ADSL, with a router or not.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

spot;1336223 wrote: I don't run lots of operating systems, Kaz. I'm wondering how different ones are seen by that test and how they connect to the Internet, whether it's dial-up, cable, ADSL, with a router or not.

what does that test do?

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

kazalala;1336225 wrote: what does that test do?It asks your computer whether it accepts email directly, allows files to be transferred, participates in any workgroup, enables a remote user to log in, displays web pages, stuff like that. All things to which you might not know the answer unless you run the test.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

spot;1336227 wrote: It asks your computer whether it accepts email directly, allows files to be transferred, participates in any workgroup, enables a remote user to log in, displays web pages, stuff like that. All things to which you might not know the answer unless you run the test.

nosy innit:thinking:so what is it testing for? just gathering info?

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

kazalala;1336228 wrote: nosy innit:thinking:so what is it testing for? just gathering info?

It's primarily testing for your peace of mind and in order for you to tighten up any ports you might previously have been unaware were open. I think you've inadvertently strayed into the Men's Room, Kaz. Fashion, gossip and TV soap tattle are in the third forum to the left.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

spot;1336229 wrote: It's primarily testing for your peace of mind and in order for you to tighten up any ports you might previously have been unaware were open. I think you've inadvertently strayed into the Men's Room, Kaz. Fashion, gossip and TV soap tattle are in the third forum to the left.

cheeky,, you should be encouraging my curiosity:thinking: i just didnt wanna click on something without knowing what it was,, and also i was genuinely interested in what it was. People do sometimes think im either thick or taking the p when i start asking questions though:thinking:

also .. i like it in the mens room sometimes, the ladies always have a queue:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

kazalala;1336233 wrote: People do sometimes think im either thick or taking the p when i start asking questions though:thinking:Not me. I do have a lousy sense of humour though.

So what's the test report say?
Betty Boop

Port visibility

Post by Betty Boop »

kazalala;1336222 wrote: Whats this about?:-3 and hi |BB not seen you around for a while hope you are fine:)

If it were anything dodgy Spot wouldn't put it up, I understand some bits it does but not all of it. I'm relying on the fact that if there were something wrong with the diagnosis it gave me, Spot would shout at me and help me to sort it out. :wah:

I'm about, now and again, busy busy busy, back to uni next week and believe me, I have one hell of a tough and busy year ahead of me.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

spot;1336235 wrote: Not me. I do have a lousy sense of humour though.

So what's the test report say?

duno why i started this im trying to watch strictly:wah: I passed!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-10-02 at 17:36:25

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

26 Ports Stealth

---------------------

26 Ports Tested

------------------------------

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

Operating systems seem to have cleaned up their act over the last couple of years. That's a pleasing result Kaz, thank you.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

Betty Boop;1336240 wrote: If it were anything dodgy Spot wouldn't put it up, I understand some bits it does but not all of it. I'm relying on the fact that if there were something wrong with the diagnosis it gave me, Spot would shout at me and help me to sort it out. :wah:

I'm about, now and again, busy busy busy, back to uni next week and believe me, I have one hell of a tough and busy year ahead of me.
ye i assumed it was probs ok ,, but i cant help wondering sometimes:wah:... ye i seen all that reading you have to do:thinking:try not to burn yourself out too much:)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

spot;1336243 wrote: Operating systems seem to have cleaned up their act over the last couple of years. That's a pleasing result Kaz, thank you.

can i ask you a question about piriform CC Cleaner ,, i have seen you say you use it and i do too.. i will presume and go ahead and ask.

when i have cleaned i then click on registry and scan for issues, then click on fix all issues,,, it aks me if i want to back up my changes to registry,,, does it matter if i say yes or no? and does it matter if i even bother with the registry bit or not?

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Snowfire

Port visibility

Post by Snowfire »

I must have failed at something but I'm not sure what the implications are or how to fix it. I always thought I was pretty much covered all round.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-10-02 at 17:43:39

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

26 Ports Stealth

---------------------

26 Ports Tested

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,

- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

kazalala;1336248 wrote: can i ask you a question about piriform CC Cleaner ,, i have seen you say you use it and i do too.. i will presume and go ahead and ask.

when i have cleaned i then click on registry and scan for issues, then click on fix all issues,,, it aks me if i want to back up my changes to registry,,, does it matter if i say yes or no? and does it matter if i even bother with the registry bit or not?
I'm not exactly wary of the registry section but on the other hand I very rarely use it.

If you say yes to a backup, it creates a something.reg file for you. If you discover later on that a previously working program has gone tits up pardon my language then you can double-click the backup and the registry will go exactly back to where it had been. It means you can, if you're inclined, try it and find out the effect and reverse it if you want. I doubt very much whether it would have a noticeable impact on your machine's responsiveness either way.
kazalala

Port visibility

Post by kazalala »

spot;1336252 wrote: I'm not exactly wary of the registry section but on the other hand I very rarely use it.

If you say yes to a backup, it creates a something.reg file for you. If you discover later on that a previously working program has gone tits up pardon my language then you can double-click the backup and the registry will go exactly back to where it had been. It means you can, if you're inclined, try it and find out the effect and reverse it if you want. I doubt very much whether it would have a noticeable impact on your machine's responsiveness either way.

ah ok thanks,, i just wont bother with it from now on then

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bruv

Port visibility

Post by Bruv »

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-10-02 at 18:46:53

1 Ports Open

2 Ports Closed

23 Ports Stealth

---------------------

26 Ports Tested

The port found to be OPEN was: 135

Ports found to be CLOSED were: 445, 1027

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,

Now you have me worried, what do I do now ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

Bruv;1336285 wrote: Now you have me worried, what do I do now ?Here's Steve Gibson's notes: GRC | Port Authority, for Internet Port 135   - you might like to read them. There's no crisis, it's more a matter of feeling tight and shipshape than having your bank account raided.

Out of interest, are you running XP on a computer plugged directly into a cable modem?
Bruv

Port visibility

Post by Bruv »

spot;1336287 wrote:

Out of interest, are you running XP on a computer plugged directly into a cable modem?

Gawd blimey yes I am... shudder shudder.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Port visibility

Post by spot »

Bruv;1336294 wrote: Gawd blimey yes I am... shudder shudder.

Ah. Well. There you are then. Stands to reason.

I reckon most people with port protection have a firewall router stood between them and the cable modem. Not that it's complete protection, mind, but it does fend off the curious.

The port 135 page has instructions on how to permanently turn off the XP service which opened it, you could do that easily enough if you read the link. A router's useful if you have more than one computer in the house - people with a laptop as well as a desktop tend to use one. But a computer that has a current antivirus package and regular monthly automatic Microsoft security updates is as safe as most people need already. It's a lot more important not to click on a spam link and type your passwords into the website you get taken to, that's where most people get their identity stolen, by actively cooperating.
OpenMind

Port visibility

Post by OpenMind »

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-10-02 at 21:35:15

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

26 Ports Stealth

---------------------

26 Ports Tested

OpenMind

Port visibility

Post by OpenMind »

Attempting connection to your computer. . .

Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Return to “Computers Internet”