White House warns Florida church not to burn Koran

gmc

Post by gmc »

White House warns Florida church not to burn Koran - Americas, World - The Independent

I'm against burning any book as a matter of principle but I can't imagine Christians getting so upset if someone burned the bible. It's not as if the message is somehow lessened because somebody burned it. Maybe burn the bible alongside it and mix the ashes and scatter them as a symbolic settling of differences.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1332178 wrote: White House warns Florida church not to burn Koran - Americas, World - The Independent

I'm against burning any book as a matter of principle but I can't imagine Christians getting so upset if someone burned the bible. It's not as if the message is somehow lessened because somebody burned it. Maybe burn the bible alongside it and mix the ashes and scatter them as a symbolic settling of differences.
Wot he said.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

gmc;1332178 wrote:

That would be a sane reaction from a well-educated mind.

Who said that fanatics were either sane or well-educated? :sneaky:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I like your idea GMC. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

It would not surprise me in the least if this nutty preachers church was burned down.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Notice that the churches and groups that are planning the inclusive events are getting little or no play...:rolleyes:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Lon

Post by Lon »

flopstock;1332187 wrote: Notice that the churches and groups that are planning the inclusive events are getting little or no play...:rolleyes:

We must be reading different news sources and watching different TV channels------------I see lots of play.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

gmc;1332178 wrote: White House warns Florida church not to burn Koran - Americas, World - The Independent

It is the words themselves that are sacred not he pages they are written on. But then again if a Bible is blessed then people will go nuts if you burnt them.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Rapunzel;1332180 wrote: That would be a sane reaction from a well-educated mind.

Who said that fanatics were either sane or well-educated? :sneaky:

Bad rapunzel you are not to criticise religion or in any way denegrate the followers of religion.

posted by lon

It would not surprise me in the least if this nutty preachers church was burned down.

Well al least it might distract sunni and shia from burning each others mosques down in the middle east, no doubt there will be symbolic bible burning somewhere on the day.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1332178 wrote: I'm against burning any book as a matter of principle but I can't imagine Christians getting so upset if someone burned the bible. It's not as if the message is somehow lessened because somebody burned it.You think the Muslims are touchy? Try burning a Sefer Torah in public, there would be quite a reaction to that too. And I reckon bible-burning is still taboo even in this day and age.Holy books, like the people who used them, are buried, usually sharing the grave with a deceased Torah scholar (following Talmud Megillah 26b). This serves both to honor the books and to prevent further degradation.

How to Treat Holy Jewish Books - My Jewish Learning

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I suspect that if there is a violent reaction in the muslim world there will be more such events as the religious right latch on to a way to annoy the islamists and stir things up. Or maybe not, perhaps I'm being uncharitable.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

This reminds me of the Thread I posted back when an artist in Scotland had a display where people could deface the Bible, this also included a life size video of a woman ripping out pages from the bible one by one:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... e-art.html

So here we go again, now only it is the Koran being targeted.. brings me right back to the whole thing about religion, nothing but problems... they should just get rid of all of them.

anyway.

It depends on the intend of the preacher, what is the message he is putting across and is it in line with his religous views?

How would he react to the Bible being burnt?
spot

Post by spot »

I note in passing a distinctly unrepeated remark by the pastor, mentioned on CBS last month, that "I heard Jones recently agree, when asked to do so in an internet podcast interview, to burn "a couple of copies of the Talmud" too". I suspect he backed down quickly on that bit of his 9/11 commemoration.

'Burn Quran Day' an outrage to Muslims - CNN.com
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
binbag

Post by binbag »

Look, this church with its pastor and 50 members are not representative of true Christian values. Their thinking is wrong, their intended action is wrong. They are wrong, full stop.

No matter what they think of Muslims, they are fully aware they will be offending them if they go through with this act of burning the Koran.

Ironically, they are the very people who would cry out in anger and indignity if the situation was reversed.

They intend to cause maximum offence under the name of Christianty, that is wrong and offensive.

What they are actually doing is hiding behind Christianty, they are using Christianity as a defence for their intended actions.

I would dearly love to challenge them to show where their actions are sanctioned.

Don't look upon them as typical of a true Christian, or Christian thinking, they are anything but.

bb
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
gmc

Post by gmc »

binbag;1332294 wrote: Look, this church with its pastor and 50 members are not representative of true Christian values. Their thinking is wrong, their intended action is wrong. They are wrong, full stop.

No matter what they think of Muslims, they are fully aware they will be offending them if they go through with this act of burning the Koran.

Ironically, they are the very people who would cry out in anger and indignity if the situation was reversed.

They intend to cause maximum offence under the name of Christianty, that is wrong and offensive.

What they are actually doing is hiding behind Christianty, they are using Christianity as a defence for their intended actions.

I would dearly love to challenge them to show where their actions are sanctioned.

Don't look upon them as typical of a true Christian, or Christian thinking, they are anything but.

bb

Christians are not exactly noted for their tolerance of other christians never mind other faiths. I can find plenty of examples as I'm sure can you. They are of course not followers of the one true christian faith but protestant heretics who are going to hell. So in some ways they are fairly typical, whether they are actually christian or not christians can argue about amongst themselves.

I find the whole thing ridiculous. People wonder why there is little respect for religion nowadays? I think there is too much.
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

I'm against the burning of books too - even so-called 'holy' ones.

Instead of burning the Koran or the Bible or the Torah - why not use them as toilet paper?
Oscar Namechange

Glaswegian;1332302 wrote: I'm against the burning of books too - even so-called 'holy' ones.

Instead of burning the Koran or the Bible or the Torah - why not use them as toilet paper? Are you deliberately offensive In order to get a reaction?

If we need toilet paper, we can use your threads.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1332305 wrote: Are you deliberately offensive In order to get a reaction?

:yh_rotfl
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by oscar

Are you deliberately offensive In order to get a reaction?

You print out glaswegian's threads:-2
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1332315 wrote: posted by oscar

You print out glaswegian's threads:-2
Only when I run out of toilet paper.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1332320 wrote: Only when I run out of toilet paper.

Might I suggest

gordon brown-toilet roll-toilet paper-50 Million Pound Toilet Roll
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1332362 wrote: Might I suggest

gordon brown-toilet roll-toilet paper-50 Million Pound Toilet Roll
Thank You... I ordered 2 rolls :yh_rotfl
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Ap saying Cancelled
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

binbag

Post by binbag »

gmc;1332298 wrote: Christians are not exactly noted for their tolerance of other christians never mind other faiths. I can find plenty of examples as I'm sure can you. They are of course not followers of the one true christian faith but protestant heretics who are going to hell. So in some ways they are fairly typical, whether they are actually christian or not christians can argue about amongst themselves.

I find the whole thing ridiculous. People wonder why there is little respect for religion nowadays? I think there is too much.The Christian's you witnessed being intolerant of other Christians, may have been the Christians who realized the other Christians were way off the mark in their approach to Christianity and bringing it into disrepute.

I don't know, it's just a thought gmc.
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

An update:

A Christian minister in Fla. cancels plans to burn Qurans on Sept. 11, heeding outcry - OrlandoSentinel.com

It's been called off.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
cars

Post by cars »

The dimwit probably just saved "his own church" from being burnt down!
Cars :)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Is it worth anything to suggest that everyone has a right to freedom of speech and if one were confident in their beliefs they wouldn't feel threatened by mere words or idiotic burnings?

What I know to be true is that I'm so comfortable in my own skin if everyone, let alone anyone, were to parade a flag with my portrait on it(A rather brilliant one at that!) flinging poo, spit, and God knows what else on it to only end in dowsing it with petrol before it meets it's fiery doom I'd actually sit with a bag of popcorn and encourage it to happen so I might get a tremendous laugh out of it. I don't know about "you", or anyone else, but I've a sense of humor that cannot be surpassed

"You" people already know how I feel about what happens to my body after I die
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Well I say this, if a Mosque is allowed to be built on or next to ground zero, you may as well start putting your daughters in burqas and start calling you sons Mohammad.

Then bring home all of your troupes, because you lost.

There is a difference between being ‘tolerant’ and be walked all over. They are walking all over you.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

mikeinie;1332420 wrote: Well I say this, if a Mosque is allowed to be built on or next to ground zero, you may as well start putting your daughters in burqas and start calling you sons Mohammad.

There is a difference between being ‘tolerant’ and be walked all over. They are walking all over you.

Absolutely not. If we run around spitting flames over a mosque would only highlight how we're capable of being defeated. Not an ounce of understanding can be achieved by the assumption a mosque represents victory. I'm having a hard time equating "all men are created equal" somehow has a code within it blatently excluding Islam.

The more people view others as a "group" the more blood will be spilled that's for * sure...How can anyone with an ounce of brains suggest otherwise?
spot

Post by spot »

along-for-the-ride;1332375 wrote: An update:

A Christian minister in Fla. cancels plans to burn Qurans on Sept. 11, heeding outcry - OrlandoSentinel.com

It's been called off.

And now it's maybe-on-again. Your local hate-merchant finally decided he enjoys the media limelight too much to step out of it just yet."Given what we are now hearing, we are forced to rethink our decision," Mr Jones said. "So as of right now, we are not cancelling the event, but we are suspending it."

BBC News - US Koran burning event on hold, says pastor Terry Jones

I'm surprised there's still no Facebook group pledging each member to incinerate a dozen well-used family bibles for each Koran he sets fire to, that way we can all participate on the day.

Alternatively, if it's true that it'll entrench mainstream Afghan determination to eject the foreign invaders from their country, someone pass me the lighter fluid - I've an English translation of the Koran in the house somewhere.
gmc

Post by gmc »

binbag;1332374 wrote: The Christian's you witnessed being intolerant of other Christians, may have been the Christians who realized the other Christians were way off the mark in their approach to Christianity and bringing it into disrepute.

I don't know, it's just a thought gmc.

So that justifies mass murder and torture, bringing them back to god? Hatred and bogotry is still hatred and bigotry whatever the justification.

posted by mikienie

Well I say this, if a Mosque is allowed to be built on or next to ground zero, you may as well start putting your daughters in burqas and start calling you sons Mohammad.

A secular memorial at ground zero might have prevented all this nonsense. Allowing religion to cause conflict in the 21st century is beyond silly. War memorials are non denominational.

The next time a catholic blows up a protestant in northern ireland what do you think the protestants should do? Retaliate or try and live together? When a jewish soldier shoots a muslim in palestine is it better to try and live together or should the palestinians not let the jews walk all over them?

What is it about religion that makes people so determined to provoke war and almosr seem to welcome it. It's like the hate justifies their religious belief.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

K.Snyder;1332422 wrote: Absolutely not. If we run around spitting flames over a mosque would only highlight how we're capable of being defeated. Not an ounce of understanding can be achieved by the assumption a mosque represents victory. I'm having a hard time equating "all men are created equal" somehow has a code within it blatently excluding Islam.

The more people view others as a "group" the more blood will be spilled that's for * sure...How can anyone with an ounce of brains suggest otherwise?

My response was political not religious.

There is a war going on, whether you like it or not, and you may preach tolerance and acceptance, but it is only one way, you being tolerant, not the other way around.

It was extreme radical Muslims that took down the twin towers, and replacing them with a mosque would be a victory in their eyes.

This is a fact. It is not about right or wrong, I have no belief in religion or religious groups, they are nothing but problems, and I would do away with all religions if I could, they are the work of the devil, but I will not have my rights and freedoms, along with the rights and freedoms of my daughters compromised by political correctness.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

gmc;1332428 wrote: So that justifies mass murder and torture, bringing them back to god? Hatred and bogotry is still hatred and bigotry whatever the justification.

posted by mikienie

A secular memorial at ground zero might have prevented all this nonsense. Allowing religion to cause conflict in the 21st century is beyond silly. War memorials are non denominational. Religion is and always will be a problem in the world, more people are killed and kill in the name of a God than any other reason (although oil is becoming a close second...)

The next time a catholic blows up a protestant in northern ireland what do you think the protestants should do? Retaliate or try and live together?

Speak only what you know about, ever hear of the UDF???

and besides, that is all over now in the North and has been over since 1999. Also, it was not about religion it was about independence.

When a jewish soldier shoots a muslim in palestine is it better to try and live together or should the palestinians not let the jews walk all over them? What??? The same question could be asked about when a Palestinian kills Jews, the middle east is a mess, and why??? religion, as always

What is it about religion that makes people so determined to provoke war and almosr seem to welcome it. It's like the hate justifies their religious belief.

Because religion is intolerant and teaches that heaven is only for the religious and they ‘their ‘ religion is right and everyone else is ‘wrong’. OH ya, and they think that God takes sides.. nothing but problems.
gmc

Post by gmc »

If you become like those that would destroy you then you are no better than them. Extremism won't defeat extremism all it does it throw petrol on the fire. Being tolerant doesn't men you let other people walk all over you.

The next time a catholic blows up a protestant in northern ireland what do you think the protestants should do? Retaliate or try and live together?

Speak only what you know about, ever hear of the UDF???

and besides, that is all over now in the North and has been over since 1999. Also, it was not about religion it was about independence.

If you think religion isn't an issue in northern ireland you know bugger all about it. It's not over the realIRA have started bombing again because they see the peace agreement as giving in. It was a serious point, would retaliation do anything to keep things calm? the answer is no, extremists on both sides of the religious divides want it all staring up again. Idiots like you that think tolerance and acceptance is giving in to the other side and idiots on the other side that think the same, the result is people getting killed that want nothing to do with any of it. It's situation that separate religious schools do nothing to help and just perpetuate the cycle over and over again.

Because religion is intolerant and teaches that heaven is only for the religious and they ‘their ‘ religion is right and everyone else is ‘wrong’. OH ya, and they think that God takes sides.. nothing but problems.

You would think in the 21st century we would have left all that behind us but we are being dragged backwards in to religious wars. Hopefully this time there are enough secularists around to make their wishes felt.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I think that we are arguing against each other when we actually agree on most points. We are being dragged backward, by none other than religious extremes.

However, as this is happening the question is what do we do? With the fact that extremes do not win, and usually cause all the problems, those caught in the middle become what is known as ‘victims of war’. I have no intention of become a victim, and as usual in these mad situation one always ends up having to make a choice: who side are you on?

I do not agree with anyone burning a religious symbol of another religion, but nor do I agree that a Mosque, should be built anywhere near ground zero, it is a disgrace and inflammatory to even request it. What reaction would they be expecting to receive?

(Regarding the North, ((this topic is a distraction and a side debate)), you are correct, historically it is based on religion, but do you really think the mission of the IRA was to convert people to Christianity?? No, they wanted to leave Britain and join the Republic, which was political not religious.
gmc

Post by gmc »

mikeinie;1332453 wrote: I think that we are arguing against each other when we actually agree on most points. We are being dragged backward, by none other than religious extremes.

However, as this is happening the question is what do we do? With the fact that extremes do not win, and usually cause all the problems, those caught in the middle become what is known as ‘victims of war’. I have no intention of become a victim, and as usual in these mad situation one always ends up having to make a choice: who side are you on?

I do not agree with anyone burning a religious symbol of another religion, but nor do I agree that a Mosque, should be built anywhere near ground zero, it is a disgrace and inflammatory to even request it. What reaction would they be expecting to receive?

(Regarding the North, ((this topic is a distraction and a side debate)), you are correct, historically it is based on religion, but do you really think the mission of the IRA was to convert people to Christianity?? No, they wanted to leave Britain and join the Republic, which was political not religious.

It's particularly a problem it seems in america where you have a very assertive, politically active religious right that your politicians seem unable to slap down. There's a very good reason why the US constitution set up a secular state recent events should make those reasons easier to understand.

The reaction from muslims all around the world is just as bad. people are ready to kill over perceived insult that anyone with a grain of common sense would just ignore. The whole thing is completely irrational.

You're right we do mainly agree.

(Regarding the North, ((this topic is a distraction and a side debate)), you are correct, historically it is based on religion, but do you really think the mission of the IRA was to convert people to Christianity?? No, they wanted to leave Britain and join the Republic, which was political not religious.[

It is a distraction. But the reasons the belfast scots are there in the first place were because of religious warfare. They still celebrate the battle that put an end to the threat of catholic domination in ireland and the UK. The reason the north is so set against being united with a catholic south are religious. Ireland was partitioned for the simple reason if they had included the northern counties there would have been full scale warfare and it would have been because of religion, the UDF were fighting for freedom every bit as much as the IRA, freedom from catholicism that is. As it was there was civil war in southern ireland between those who wanted to accept partition and those who did not - The IRA lost that battle. They current crop of terrorists don't exactly have a lot of support in southern ireland. Politics and religion are a lethal mix - it takes religion to put it beyond reason and the settling of differences.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

mikeinie;1332429 wrote: My response was political not religious.

There is a war going on, whether you like it or not, and you may preach tolerance and acceptance, but it is only one way, you being tolerant, not the other way around.

It was extreme radical Muslims that took down the twin towers, and replacing them with a mosque would be a victory in their eyes.

This is a fact. It is not about right or wrong, I have no belief in religion or religious groups, they are nothing but problems, and I would do away with all religions if I could, they are the work of the devil, but I will not have my rights and freedoms, along with the rights and freedoms of my daughters compromised by political correctness.
My suggestion is that war cannot be won by using religion. A war is either a religious one or an economic one. Which is more unjustified is entirely irrelevant because they're both atrocious just that one of religion has no capacity to effect the others' level of moral, ironically enough. A war conditioned out of religion sees absolutely zero empathy which prevents one from knowing the effects of their efforts.

Building the mosque would only hurt their position not help it, they couldn't be that stupid.

Thus, one of two variables

1.These people are stupider than we thought

or

2. The mosque is being built by people's without any close affiliation with the people responsible for war against America

On a side not, and being a contractor myself, there's no way in fiery hell a mosque will be built there.
gmc

Post by gmc »

In a way I almost wish he had burned it. It might have woken people up the mayhem and warfare that religious fundamentalists of any kind can cause. They have no respect for anyone's beliefs but their own. It seems any politicians that says this is stupid gets it from all sides claiming he lacks tolerance and respect for religious belief.

Return to “International Politics”