a type of engines

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
M.A.S

a type of engines

Post by M.A.S »

hello everyone and how are you today ?:D

a very and important type of engines have been invented.. it's Rotary engine..

it's lighter than the normal engines and more reliable.. there is only one company that takes advantages of that rotary engine which is Mazda..

you can see more at

Rotary Engine Illustrated

you can see the structure of rotary engine and the way it works..:sneaky:

i'm really interested in this type on engines and planning to do a research about it..

:D
I miss you Odie
gmc

a type of engines

Post by gmc »

It's a very old idea that predates ww1 where they were initially used extensively in aircraft because of their lightness. Goes back to 1588

Wankel rotary engine Page 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Motorenwerke_AG
M.A.S

a type of engines

Post by M.A.S »

gmc;1326878 wrote: It's a very old idea that predates ww1 where they were initially used extensively in aircraft because of their lightness. Goes back to 1588

Wankel rotary engine Page 1

NSU Motorenwerke AG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it's old for planes but new for cars :rolleyes:
I miss you Odie
Odie

a type of engines

Post by Odie »

M.A.S;1326868 wrote: hello everyone and how are you today ?:D

it's lighter than the normal engines and more reliable.. there is only one company that takes advantages of that rotary engine which is Mazda..

you can see more at

i'm really interested in this type on engines and planning to do a research about it..

very unique!

zoom, zoom, zoom!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
gmc

a type of engines

Post by gmc »

M.A.S;1326885 wrote: it's old for planes but new for cars :rolleyes:

If you're going to do reasearch you could start by looking properly at links people are kind enough to post for you. First mass production car with a rotary engine was made in 1964, I wouldn't call that particularly new. Have a look at one if you like.

YouTube - ‪Used Car Roadshow featuring 1969 NSU Ro80‬‎

YouTube - ‪NSU Ro80 Featured on Top Gear 1994‬‎

It's only fairly recently that technology has made reliable wankel car engines possible. You don't find the notion that they made rotary steam engines even mildly startling? In actual fact they were making cars amd motor bikes with rotary engines at the start of the last century.

ADAMS-FARWELL AUTOMOBILES - Encyclopedia Dubuque

The 1904 Adams-Farwell Model Five was powered by a twenty horsepower three-cylinder ROTARY ENGINE. Acclaim by this time was becoming widespread. Exhibitors at the Chicago Auto Show in February 1905 praised the car for its innovations. The same year an Adams-Farwell car posted the best time of any air-cooled entry entered in the Chicago, Illinois, to St. Paul, Minnesota, auto race.
Bryn Mawr

a type of engines

Post by Bryn Mawr »

M.A.S;1326868 wrote: hello everyone and how are you today ?:D

you can see more at

Main problem lies with the end seal. It wears rapidly and engine performance falls off as soon as it starts to leak. This means frequent servicing and, because it's engine out and a complete stripdown to replace them, high service costs.

The NSU was, as far as I recall, the first production use of the Wankle but Norton Motocycles used then with some success over many years.
gmc

a type of engines

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1326922 wrote: Main problem lies with the end seal. It wears rapidly and engine performance falls off as soon as it starts to leak. This means frequent servicing and, because it's engine out and a complete stripdown to replace them, high service costs.

The NSU was, as far as I recall, the first production use of the Wankle but Norton Motocycles used then with some success over many years.

I remember them at the time, compared to hillman minxes, austin cambridges and the like they were a different league altogether. If I was going to buy a classic car it would be a DS19 though or a traction avant or a Citroen SM Maserati. Sadly common sense gets in the way:(.
Bryn Mawr

a type of engines

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1326926 wrote: I remember them at the time, compared to hillman minxes, austin cambridges and the like they were a different league altogether. If I was going to buy a classic car it would be a DS19 though or a traction avant or a Citroen SM Maserati. Sadly common sense gets in the way:(.

Before they regenerated Spittlefields Market there was a collection of about fifteen Traction Avants kept there - wonderful cars :-)
M.A.S

a type of engines

Post by M.A.S »

gmc;1326912 wrote: If you're going to do reasearch you could start by looking properly at links people are kind enough to post for you. First mass production car with a rotary engine was made in 1964, I wouldn't call that particularly new. Have a look at one if you like.

YouTube - ‪Used Car Roadshow featuring 1969 NSU Ro80‬‎

YouTube - ‪NSU Ro80 Featured on Top Gear 1994‬‎

It's only fairly recently that technology has made reliable wankel car engines possible. You don't find the notion that they made rotary steam engines even mildly startling? In actual fact they were making cars amd motor bikes with rotary engines at the start of the last century.

ADAMS-FARWELL AUTOMOBILES - Encyclopedia Dubuque

thanks for sharing and explaining what i did not know sir..

i'm sorry it was my bad that i did not do a well done research.. BUT from the beginning i didn't write (((a new type of engines))), i wrote (( a type of engines)) which means that the engine is not new..

when i replied to your post,, i said yes it's new for cars.. and it's correct in my country because this technology has just arrived here.. differently, it was arrived in your county very early..

have a good day GMC :driving:
I miss you Odie
gmc

a type of engines

Post by gmc »

M.A.S;1326979 wrote: thanks for sharing and explaining what i did not know sir..

i'm sorry it was my bad that i did not do a well done research.. BUT from the beginning i didn't write (((a new type of engines))), i wrote (( a type of engines)) which means that the engine is not new..

when i replied to your post,, i said yes it's new for cars.. and it's correct in my country because this technology has just arrived here.. differently, it was arrived in your county very early..

have a good day GMC :driving:

I will. I hadn't noticed your location before, I assume english is a second language (it's my only one:o) the nuances can be confusing, the meaning of what you wrote isn't what you think it is but I realise why now so my apologies if i sounded rude.

It always amazes me when you look at technology and the history of the world how interconnected it all is. Never more so when we use arabic numerals to do the maths and the roman alphabet to communicate in a language that contains words from every language on the planet on a device made from sand, metal and oil.
hoppy

a type of engines

Post by hoppy »

The rotary engines in WW1 aircraft were entirely different from the Wankel.
gmc

a type of engines

Post by gmc »

hoppy;1327043 wrote: The rotary engines in WW1 aircraft were entirely different from the Wankel.

So they are but the basic principle is the same therefore it is not a new kind of engine, just a modern take on it. They also made electric cars at the start of the 20th century that are entirely different from the ones they make now, but the basic principle is still the same. Who knows if petrol hadn't become so cheap to produce the internal combustion engine might never have taken off - imagine what all that inventiveness applied to electric cars might have achieved. It's also an internal combustion engine like a diesel engine - they used them in aircraft as well for a while and they now seem to be making a comeback for that use as well. Who says there us such a thing as a technological dead end?
Bryn Mawr

a type of engines

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1327051 wrote: So they are but the basic principle is the same therefore it is not a new kind of engine, just a modern take on it. They also made electric cars at the start of the 20th century that are entirely different from the ones they make now, but the basic principle is still the same. Who knows if petrol hadn't become so cheap to produce the internal combustion engine might never have taken off - imagine what all that inventiveness applied to electric cars might have achieved. It's also an internal combustion engine like a diesel engine - they used them in aircraft as well for a while and they now seem to be making a comeback for that use as well. Who says there us such a thing as a technological dead end?

Have to disagree there. The aircraft rotary engine is just another format of the reciprocating infernal combustion engine (three sixty degree V twins on the same crank are still just V twins) whereas the Wankle is a true rotary with no reciprocal motion involved. It may still be just suck squeeze bang blow but entirely different design concept.

Return to “Autos Vehicles”