Hi

Nomad

Hi

Post by Nomad »

Ive recently discovered Netflix offers no charge video streaming as a part of their membership package.

I want some of that however my pc is on the 3rd fl and my tv on the LL. No practical solution to run cables and wireless wont work.

So...Im thinking of purchasing a laptop strictly for transfering movies on demand.

Does anyone know if the Dell 600 in the link below would be practical for this application?

Thank you,

Nomad

Dell Latitude D600 Notebook Computer for Business Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews
I AM AWESOME MAN
flopstock

Hi

Post by flopstock »

Quit buying dell very much, so can't really help you.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Hi

Post by Ahso! »

My Samsung blue-ray player taps into Netflix streaming nicely, but you'd need an ethernet cable from the player to the router for it to work.

Sorry can't help you on the laptop. When I hook my laptop to the television via HDMI the aspect ratio gets messed up.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

Hi

Post by Lon »

I have had Roku for two years now and it works great. Have you looked at it?
Nomad

Hi

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1322198 wrote: I have had Roku for two years now and it works great. Have you looked at it?

This looks interesting. Aside from the initial start up cost do they charge for each individual movie selection?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

Hi

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1322239 wrote: This looks interesting. Aside from the initial start up cost do they charge for each individual movie selection?

No additional charges at all. Once you have Roku you have unlimited access to Netflix.
Tombstone

Hi

Post by Tombstone »

We are a weird family around our parts. We have just one T.V.! When the kids are watching something that we don't want to see, my wife and I settle down someplace comfortable and watch a movie via my laptop using Netflix. (The laptop is an older HP.)

It works great!

Also check out the new ASUS notebooks. Thinking about picking one up: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Lon

Hi

Post by Lon »

Tombstone;1322280 wrote: We are a weird family around our parts. We have just one T.V.! When the kids are watching something that we don't want to see, my wife and I settle down someplace comfortable and watch a movie via my laptop using Netflix. (The laptop is an older HP.)

It works great!

Also check out the new ASUS notebooks. Thinking about picking one up: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

I do the same thing when my wife watches one of the "Girlie Shows". I love Netflix---great value.
Nomad

Hi

Post by Nomad »

I tried watching a movie on my pc but I wasnt pleased at all. Im kind of a snob regarding film watching. Has to be all theatre like. I am intrigued by this Roku thing. Its looking like the way I may go.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

Hi

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1322341 wrote: I tried watching a movie on my pc but I wasnt pleased at all. Im kind of a snob regarding film watching. Has to be all theatre like. I am intrigued by this Roku thing. Its looking like the way I may go.

I paid $90 for the Roku device two years ago and set it up in about 15 minutes on the TV screen in the living room. I was given a Play Station as a gift last year and Netflix provided a free disc that can be used to connect to them via the Play Station. I then hooked Roku up to the TV in the bedroom. You can also go online with any computer and access your Netflix account and select films for instant viewing. Then, when you turn on your TV via Roku, the films that you selected will show up in your que. Of course, you can select films just by using Roku, but sometimes you might be visiting someone that tells you about a particular film and you would like to order up the film before you forget. For a movie and doco nut like me, the $10 a month that I pay Netflix gives me more films than I have time to watch. I have at present about 22 films and docos in my Q.
Nomad

Hi

Post by Nomad »

Outstanding. I have DSL throughout the house. A router hooked up to my pc in the office. The Roku will go downstairs. Do I automatically have internet access at every cable outlet? Do I need a router downstairs where the tv is?
I AM AWESOME MAN
pinkchick

Hi

Post by pinkchick »

Nomad;1322382 wrote: Outstanding. I have DSL throughout the house. A router hooked up to my pc in the office. The Roku will go downstairs. Do I automatically have internet access at every cable outlet? Do I need a router downstairs where the tv is?

Very cool :-)
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Lon

Hi

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1322382 wrote: Outstanding. I have DSL throughout the house. A router hooked up to my pc in the office. The Roku will go downstairs. Do I automatically have internet access at every cable outlet? Do I need a router downstairs where the tv is?

No-----------one router will do the job. On your individual TV you will just go to which ever Video 1, 2, 3, 4 connection that you are using, as long as you have either Roku, Playstation etc. attached to that set.

You can find Roku at "Best's Buy" if you have one near where you live.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-r ... 18087.html
Snowfire

Hi

Post by Snowfire »

I use an Xtreamer HD streamer to watch my downloaded films/music through my TV. I have it hard wired to the TV at the moment because wireless connection isnt great. I need a better router to stream HD films. Quality is great

Xtreamer Xtreamer review | Expert Reviews
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill

Return to “Computers Internet”