Road Trip @ 4000 thous. Miles.

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Returned from a RD Trip - main destination Yellowstone Nalt. Park & Mt. Rushmore.

Every one should experience Yellowstone - Mt. Rushmore is a must see along with the new Carving for "Crazy Horse".

Drove thru Utah "Mormon State" intersting townships & churchs.

I'm reading the Utah Highway signs:

Virgin River - then Virgin Gorge - and the next Town is Beaver. :wah:

Just wanted to make you laugh... Who's been to Yellowstone? Mt. Rushmore?

Wonderful trip & beautiful country. Alot of fun.

Patsy
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Seen a few documentaries on Yellowstone. Amazing place! One BIIIIIIIIIIIG volcano...

(Curiosity) Are you allowed to rock climb on Mt Rushmore? chuckle. Be quite something to say you'd sat on Lincoln's eyelid! (Hope that's not too disrespectful...)

Must have been amazing. Do you have a stand-out memory? Something that will stay with you, whether human or landscape (or the best of all - both).
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Actually "Crazy Horse" Carving was amazing.

Mt. Rushmore is 1/3 in size of this amazing Carving. "Crazy Horse" is funded by donations only and is a Family's promise to finish the carving.

Clod - look up Crazy Horse - it's a huge ordeal.

Another thing that will stay with me - dodging a Tornado. I've never seen a Tornado & I'm not a storm chaser.

I'm taking pics thru the windshield of these clouds - ugly dark layered & wicked looking. Tornado touched down @ 50 miles from Yellowstone.

We spent 2 days in Yellowstone and it's like a Safari - Animals everywhere. I was @ 20 feet from a Grizzly Bear - that experience will stay with me..

I'm watching people getting out in the middle of a herd of Buffalo.? are you kidding.? Ever thought of zoom..?

I was thinking - hey Lady can I have your angoria sweater, your Lunch anyway.:wah:

Just Beautiful Country & I'd love to go back.

Patsy
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Y'know, I've seen a programme on the Crazy Horse carving. Isn't it the son carrying on the father's project, or something like that? I recall this outstretched arm pointing, and then the shot zoomed in to show this wonderful maniac with a pneumatic drill standing on the arm (the size of a motorway) hammering away...:wah:

Amazing country you live in! :-6
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Sculptor was Korczak. He worked on Mt. Rushmore .

Korczak's first blast on Crazy Horse was 1948. He dies in 1982 and his wife & kids are continuing the project.

They gave me a Rock from the blasting. of course it comes with a DONATION.:)

Web site Crazy Horse - Black Hills South Dakota

The size of this project is massive - Korczak was very dedicated.

Love to see it when it's finished.

Patsy
Odie

Post by Odie »

Patsy Warnick;1318385 wrote: Returned from a RD Trip - main destination Yellowstone Nalt. Park & Mt. Rushmore.

Every one should experience Yellowstone - Mt. Rushmore is a must see along with the new Carving for "Crazy Horse".

Drove thru Utah "Mormon State" intersting townships & churchs.

I'm reading the Utah Highway signs:

Virgin River - then Virgin Gorge - and the next Town is Beaver. :wah:

Just wanted to make you laugh... Who's been to Yellowstone? Mt. Rushmore?

Wonderful trip & beautiful country. Alot of fun.

Patsy

I've never been.

Patsy, seems you hit all the hot spots, so nice to see everything.:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Post by Peg »

It all sounds wonderful Patsy.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, what a wonderful trip!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Patsy Warnick;1318385 wrote:

Who's been to Yellowstone? Mt. Rushmore?

I have, stayed in Jackson and did the Tetons and Yellowstone. Absolutely remarkable and breathtaking. Every man woman and child should experience this. Just when you think you will collapse in awe you come round another bend and gasp even louder.

And the stars in the sky !!! ...... God is good.
I AM AWESOME MAN
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Patsy Warnick;1318389 wrote: Actually "Crazy Horse" Carving was amazing.

Mt. Rushmore is 1/3 in size of this amazing Carving. "Crazy Horse" is funded by donations only and is a Family's promise to finish the carving.

Clod - look up Crazy Horse - it's a huge ordeal.

Another thing that will stay with me - dodging a Tornado. I've never seen a Tornado & I'm not a storm chaser.

I'm taking pics thru the windshield of these clouds - ugly dark layered & wicked looking. Tornado touched down @ 50 miles from Yellowstone.

We spent 2 days in Yellowstone and it's like a Safari - Animals everywhere. I was @ 20 feet from a Grizzly Bear - that experience will stay with me..

I'm watching people getting out in the middle of a herd of Buffalo.? are you kidding.? Ever thought of zoom..?

I was thinking - hey Lady can I have your angoria sweater, your Lunch anyway.:wah:

Just Beautiful Country & I'd love to go back.

Patsy

Great trip! I lived about 80 miles south of Yellowstone and everyone who came to visit me also got to go to Yellowstone. I loved it! And they all loved it. Twenty feet from a grizzly? I hope he was restrained. We used to see tourists taunting the buffaloes. NOT a smart thing to do! Once, we stayed in the little cabins and had 13 of them in our backyard at breakfast time. Mamas, Papa and babies! I'm sure you're not permitted to climb Rushmore. Can you imagine the trash left behind? And the insurance consequences? I saw Crazy Horse monument about 10 years ago. Have they finished much more of it? It seemed to be progressing very slowly.

The tornado must have been horrifying! I was on the fringes of one in So. Dakota, listening to radio reports and looking for a ditch to head for shelter!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Patsy Warnick;1318401 wrote: Sculptor was Korczak. He worked on Mt. Rushmore .

Korczak's first blast on Crazy Horse was 1948. He dies in 1982 and his wife & kids are continuing the project.

They gave me a Rock from the blasting. of course it comes with a DONATION.:)

Web site Crazy Horse - Black Hills South Dakota

The size of this project is massive - Korczak was very dedicated.

Love to see it when it's finished.

Patsy
Sounds like a great trip. I've been to Mt Rushmore but never Yellowstone. You definetly put it on my list with this thread.

They sold you a rock eh? Man they are good...:wah:
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Crazy Horse carving won't be done for years.

If you've been to Yellowstone then you know driving along you rely on other eyes.

So, a few cars stoppped, I walk up a couple of cars and they're watching a Grizzly.

OMG - a young man takes a pic & the Bear sits up, looks at us & I ran back to our car.

It was huge & every one scattered - but very cool to see - just too close for me..!

Yellowstone is a must see for every one.

My ROCK - It's Expensive granite..!! it's what I could afford..:wah:

Great trip...

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Your trip sounds fabulous Patsy. So glad that you had a wonderful time.

This is one trip that I'd like to take when I retire...It's on my list.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Did you take pictures? I've never been... maybe should plan something with littleone..:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I missed this I have been to Yellow Stone, Mr. Rushmore and Crazy horse all amazing. Actually I have been on several road trips criss crossing all the States up into Canada all the way across. I have camped in places that were so remote I didn't sleep, or go to the bathroom. :wah: Only places we didn't see were Upstate New York, Maine and Massachutes.Then we did the Mexican peninsula 2 times down and back.:-6:-6

No better way to experience the beauty of the United Stated than on a road trip. :driving:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Carla

I agree with you - There's no better way to see this Country.

I also have criss crossed the U.S. and never made it as far East as NY.

This particular RD Trip is a must see. I wished my Parents would've taken us "6" kids.

6 kids - :-2 wonder why? :wah:

Flop

I took over 400 pics & have no idea how to post - not Hi-Tec sorry.

Take warm clothes, temps ranged from 41 degrees to 85. Old Faithful was cool.

The lakes, rivers, people fishing & camping.

Yellowstone shouldn't be called a park - it's a safari of beauty.

Do go if possible. Good school issue for the littleone.

Cost entrance to Yellowstone $25.00 a car & that's good for a week. That covers the cost for having to re-enter to get home. Visiting Mt. Rushmore was $10.00 a car for the year.

I'm sure they call it Yellowstone from the color of my ROCK I bought - it's a yellow tone granite. I'm assuming.??

Where did the name come from?

Patsy
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Patsy Warnick;1319311 wrote: Carla

I agree with you - There's no better way to see this Country.

I also have criss crossed the U.S. and never made it as far East as NY.

This particular RD Trip is a must see. I wished my Parents would've taken us "6" kids.

6 kids - :-2 wonder why? :wah:

Flop

I took over 400 pics & have no idea how to post - not Hi-Tec sorry.

Take warm clothes, temps ranged from 41 degrees to 85. Old Faithful was cool.

The lakes, rivers, people fishing & camping.

Yellowstone shouldn't be called a park - it's a safari of beauty.

Do go if possible. Good school issue for the littleone.

Cost entrance to Yellowstone $25.00 a car & that's good for a week. That covers the cost for having to re-enter to get home. Visiting Mt. Rushmore was $10.00 a car for the year.

I'm sure they call it Yellowstone from the color of my ROCK I bought - it's a yellow tone granite. I'm assuming.??

Where did the name come from?

Patsy

It's called that because of the Yellowstone River & Yellowstone Canyon. Also called the Little Grand Canyon. I've got some beautiful videos of a hike down into it and shots of the falls.

http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/? ... one+canyon

Something else I found:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=7514469
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Zapata

Yes, but the stone/rock in that area has a yellow tone so they named it Yellow River and the rest blooms from there.

There is a section still called "Little Grand Canyon"

There's also signs for campers - Bear Section. We drove thru & many many dare devils.!

Who zoned & dedicated this area as Yellowstone Park? little trivia.:wah:

Patsy
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Patsy Warnick;1319315 wrote: Zapata

Yes, but the stone/rock in that area has a yellow tone so they named it Yellow River and the rest blooms from there.

There is a section still called "Little Grand Canyon"

There's also signs for campers - Bear Section. We drove thru & many many dare devils.!

Who zoned & dedicated this area as Yellowstone Park? little trivia.:wah:

Patsy

That's true. Yellowstone Canyon looks very yellow.

Theodore Roosevelt? Is it our first National Park or is that Acadia? Maybe Yellowstone is the first west of the Mississippi. I'll look to see.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Acadia was the first East of the Mississippi, Yellowstone was the first National park.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

It's the first period.

Doesn't matter what side of Mississippi.

Patsy

We posted at the same time.... too funny - your Hi-Tec
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Patsy Warnick;1319320 wrote: It's the first period.

Doesn't matter what side of Mississippi.

Patsy

We posted at the same time.... too funny - your Hi-Tec

I see that! :wah: I just saw Acadia for the first time last October and I vaguely remembered that it had some sort of "first" attached to it. It's pretty, but pales in comparison to the western parks.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Funny you'd mention Arcadia

Heard Arcadia mentioned on "Cash Cab".:wah:

As far as Mississippi - We took a Southern RD Trip last yr. I was told not to go out at night. I didn't. so I missed Arcadia, saw Graceland and got the hell out of there..:wah:

I've traveled alot thru the U.S., nothing is as cool as Yellowstone.

Patsy
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Patsy Warnick;1319329 wrote: Funny you'd mention Arcadia

Heard Arcadia mentioned on "Cash Cab".:wah:

As far as Mississippi - We took a Southern RD Trip last yr. I was told not to go out at night. I didn't. so I missed Arcadia, saw Graceland and got the hell out of there..:wah:

I've traveled alot thru the U.S., nothing is as cool as Yellowstone.

Patsy

I meant Acadia in Maine. I'm not sure where Arcadia is. I guess I missed it too. :wah: Yellowstone is awesome, breathtaking, eerie, fantastic, so many superlatives with many different types of geological wonders. And animals!
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

In Rapid City S.D. @ 20 miles outside Mt. Rushmore we ran across this park & had a picnic.

We wonder the area and come across 2 sections of the Berlin Wall. very cool.

and 2 Tank Traps. Not sure what Tank Traps are.? any one know?

The plaque read:

This Tank Trap, Located between The Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie from 1961-1989, is donated in honor of the Air Force Personnel at Ellsworth Air Force Base and all South Dakota Military personnel who have Faithfully stood in readiness to Protect the Free.

Interesting. The sections of the Berlin Wall stood @ 12-15 feet high and 6-8 inches thick. kinda eerie.

Patsy

Return to “Travel Vacation”