AussiePam

Canada quake

Post by AussiePam »

Amazing!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

fuzzywuzzy

Canada quake

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

good grief !!! Well at least there is no known injuries or damage whish is surprising for the time it struck, Midday?
ZAP

Canada quake

Post by ZAP »

chonsigirl;1318327 wrote: Canada quake also rattles N.Y., other states - Americas- msnbc.com

A 5.0, felt all the way over here.

Where are you and HOW did you feel it?

In the quakes we've been having (every day, but usually smaller than a 4) my friends in San Diego feel some of them, 100 miles away. In the 7.2 quake, a friend in Phoenix (200 mi. away) had water slosh out of her pool.
chonsigirl

Canada quake

Post by chonsigirl »

Because it was a deep one, it felt like a tiny shake here, in Maryland

Oh yes, nothing like the ones in CA. The rollers for 60-90 sec's are a thing to exprience.
Odie

Canada quake

Post by Odie »

luckily I felt nothing here, but many in tall buildings felt tremors.

Glad your okay Chonsi!
Life is just to short for drama.
Clodhopper

Canada quake

Post by Clodhopper »

Glad no-one was hurt. Must be very scary. I have never experienced a quake. In a weird way I'd rather like to. Not TOOO big though!

Don't understand San Franciscans though. They KNOW their city is going to crash down on their heads, there will be a devastating fire, and it's entirely possible that the burning ruins will be extinguished by a tsunami.

Why do they stay there???????
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
chonsigirl

Canada quake

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I was worried about you Odie. Nuttin' much here, but there was a lot of shaking up there!
Odie

Canada quake

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1318350 wrote: Oh, I was worried about you Odie. Nuttin' much here, but there was a lot of shaking up there!

thanks Chonis, I never felt a thing, but I was also napping, my son who lives an hour north of here felt tremors.

did you feel anything?

scary stuff isn't it?:thinking:
Peg

Canada quake

Post by Peg »

I didn't feel a thing, but two towns on each side of the Ohio River evacuated a couple of buildings in Wheeling, WV and Steubenville, OH.
Lon

Canada quake

Post by Lon »

Clodhopper;1318349 wrote: Glad no-one was hurt. Must be very scary. I have never experienced a quake. In a weird way I'd rather like to. Not TOOO big though!

Don't understand San Franciscans though. They KNOW their city is going to crash down on their heads, there will be a devastating fire, and it's entirely possible that the burning ruins will be extinguished by a tsunami.

Why do they stay there???????

For the same reason that some people stay in Tornado Alley or continue to live where a river floods, or Hurricanes abide, or there is high crime rates, or etc. etc. IT'S HOME
Clodhopper

Canada quake

Post by Clodhopper »

For the same reason that some people stay in Tornado Alley or continue to live where a river floods, or Hurricanes abide, or there is high crime rates, or etc. etc. IT'S HOME

(scratches head) Yeah. I get that. But if your home is GOING to kill either you or your kids...

I know. Humans don't behave like that. "It will never happen to ME..."

But when it happens, I'll feel very sorry for those involved, and also (rather less nicely) think, "What bloody stupid FOOLS!"

...hey ho, the human condition. I'm no better.

mikeinie

Canada quake

Post by mikeinie »

OK... FG looks a little different today...

anyway

ya, my mom phoned me as soon as it happened, they all had to get out of their apt. She was kind of scared.

It is not the first time though, I remember one back in the early 80's, again it is jsut a little shake.

There are fault lines around the great lakes regions, but the fault lines are all moving in the same direction, so earthquakes are rare and usually small because of the depth and lack of friction.

This quake apparently happened 12 miles beneath the surface (which in itself amazes me, we walk around the surface of this planet like we own it, it 12 miles beneath us the earth is still shifting and changing. I love Mother Nature).
Odie

Canada quake

Post by Odie »

mikeinie;1318483 wrote: OK... FG looks a little different today...

anyway

ya, my mom phoned me as soon as it happened, they all had to get out of their apt. She was kind of scared.

It is not the first time though, I remember one back in the early 80's, again it is jsut a little shake.

There are fault lines around the great lakes regions, but the fault lines are all moving in the same direction, so earthquakes are rare and usually small because of the depth and lack of friction.

This quake apparently happened 12 miles beneath the surface (which in itself amazes me, we walk around the surface of this planet like we own it, it 12 miles beneath us the earth is still shifting and changing. I love Mother Nature).

I'm glad your mom is alright Mike, the ones who felt the shake were indeed afraid.
YZGI

Canada quake

Post by YZGI »

Clodhopper;1318398 wrote: (scratches head) Yeah. I get that. But if your home is GOING to kill either you or your kids...

I know. Humans don't behave like that. "It will never happen to ME..."

But when it happens, I'll feel very sorry for those involved, and also (rather less nicely) think, "What bloody stupid FOOLS!"

...hey ho, the human condition. I'm no better.
I didn't know England was safe from all natural disaters.
mrsK

Canada quake

Post by mrsK »

Thank goodness everyone is safe :-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Clodhopper

Canada quake

Post by Clodhopper »

I didn't know England was safe from all natural disaters.

Isn't as far as I know. But that's different to living in a place you pretty much KNOW is going to be destroyed. The quake is due, if not overdue. This is a small collection of islands. There isn't really anywhere to run. In contrast the USA seems a very big place to me, with lots of room.

Shrug. Well, we've got sea level rise to worry about now. Thames Barrier was never designed for that sort of thing. We're going to lose most of East Anglia, so there will be even less room. God help the Dutch.

CARLA

Canada quake

Post by CARLA »

It was a 5.0 quake we have them everyday in California :wah: sometimes several in a day. Then again we are built for quakes so we just go on about our business. :-6:cool: Glad everyone was OK ... :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Canada quake

Post by Odie »

Toronto has only ever had 2, so for us, its frightening.
ZAP

Canada quake

Post by ZAP »

We had a small quake this morning at 6 am, 20 miles away, very shallow. I was in bed and felt a slight swaying. It was a 3.5. The 5.5 in Canada was 100 times stronger than the one this morning. Each whole number represents 10 times the previous number and it's on a logarythmic scale or in this case 10 to the 2nd power. A lot depends on the length (duration) of the quake. The Easter Sunday quake lasted a long time. It lasted 89 seconds and was a 7.2. Lots of damage that never made the news. Here's one thing that it did:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... ?track=rss
Odie

Canada quake

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1318765 wrote: We had a small quake this morning at 6 am, 20 miles away, very shallow. I was in bed and felt a slight swaying. It was a 3.5. The 5.5 in Canada was 100 times stronger than the one this morning. Each whole number represents 10 times the previous number and it's on a logarythmic scale or in this case 10 to the 2nd power. A lot depends on the length (duration) of the quake. The Easter Sunday quake lasted a long time. It lasted 89 seconds and was a 7.2. Lots of damage that never made the news. Here's one thing that it did:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... ?track=rss

not something I would want all the time.

Return to “Current Political Events”