Your top ten Guitarists

lady cop

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by lady cop »

s.r.v.!!! i really miss him. saw him in concert many times, it was like a religious experience. :-1
valerie

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by valerie »

Jerry Garcia.

May he rest in peace!!

:yh_worshp
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

greydeadhead

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by greydeadhead »

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray

Carlos

Jerry Garcia

Duane Allman

Pete Townsend

Joe Perry
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
john8pies

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by john8pies »

Exellent post, Arnold (or are you just named after that Pink Floyd song?!) but surprised to see an absolute genius like Hendrix down at no. 8 (are you too young to have seen his live performances at Isle of Wight and Woodstock - dynamic stuff!) and NO Eric Clapton?!
greydeadhead

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by greydeadhead »

Hey John...

No order here man.. just a list of top 10... if it was an ordered list.. would have to put Hendrix near the top.. near SRV..

Clapton, Beck, Page... and John Mayall... not mentioned by anyone yet all came out of the Yardbirds.. a breeding band for incredible guitarists....

Jerry has to be on the list.. if it had strings the may could play it..

this could go on and on and on....
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
Lon

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by Lon »

Lot's of different styles of guitarists.

Jesse Cook

Ottmar Liebert

Carlos Montoya
Wolverine

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by Wolverine »

in a particular order:

10.) Buddy Guy

9.) Johnny Lang

8.) Shannon Curfman--- Kick butt 17 y.o. out of Fargo,ND. Amazing chick!

7.) Santana

6.) John Mayer--- saw him on Clapton's annual blues fest in UK like 3 years ago. He came out with Double Trouble, back to the audience. All decked out in SRV gear. Started playing and thought"SRV died,Right" Turned around with his head down and wondered if maybe SRV saw Eddie and the Cruisers once too many. Looked up and end of 12 min(timed it) solo. Clapton came out looked at Mayer and told him that it was the most brilliant thing he's ever heard. And it was amazing.

5.) John Lee Hooker

4.)Clapton

2.) Hendrix

2.) Stevie Ray Vaughn

1.) Jeff Beck

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

turbonium

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by turbonium »

No order here and no BEST per se - it's really an 'apples and oranges' type thing - each has their own fanatastic and unique style...

1. Michael Schenker

2. Uli Roth

3. Ritchie Blackmore

4. Gary Moore

5. Joe Satriani

6. Al diMeola

7. John Williams (classical guitar)

8. Andres Segovia (classical guitar)

9. Eric Clapton

10. Jimi Hendrix

Plus - Frank Zappa, Frank Gambale, Steve Vai, John Norum, Jan Akkerman, Tony Iommi, etc, etc...... :guitarist :guitarist :guitarist :guitarist
jahamaa

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by jahamaa »

Add these to the mix.

According to no less than Jimi Hendriz, ZZ Top's lead.

Jonny Walker

BB King
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
spot

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by spot »

Great thread, ArnoldLayne, thank you.

OK, your 1 2 3 is unarguable.

1. Carlos Santana

2. Jeff Beck

3. Steve Vai

Why you drop Hendrix to 8 is a puzzle, though.

8. Jimi Hendrix

which leaves me 6 to find.

OK, the instant wow how did you miss that is:

4. Richard Thompson, who has more albums, with more good songs on, than anyone else, and he's immediately recognizable. He even did a cover of Abba's "Money Money Money" which sounded like someone would die within minutes.

5. Mahavishnu John McLaughlin. I don't care that you already have Carlos Santana there, you can't miss the Master.

6. Django Reinhardt! The Hot Club recordings are still perfect after all these years.

7. "Mississippi" John Hurt, I think. How inspirational do you have to get?

9. Pete Atkin, though that would be controversial. He has a stunning style and presence, still putting out new recordings that work as well as the 70s albums did, still occasionally performing. Again, listed because his playing is so distinct, which is what counts.

and 10. Segovia, of course.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
BTS

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by BTS »

Randy Rhoads

Dickey Betts

Hendricks
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
turbonium

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by turbonium »

OMG - how could I forget one of my top three - Django !!!
spot

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by spot »

I haven't seen many of your list on stage, turbonium. Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, and Segovia, that's it. Great sets, all of them... which of the others have you seen?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
turbonium

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by turbonium »

I've seen Michael Schenker twice with MSG, Ritchie Blackmore, with Deep Purple twice, and Joe Satriani twice. I've also seen Steve Vai with David Lee Roth and solo, Tony Iommi with Black Sabbath, and Frank Gambale with the Chick Corea Group.

I would love to see, or have been able to see (through a time machine?), all the others in my list!!

The players listed above that I have seen live were all awesome, inspiring showcases!
john8pies

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by john8pies »

I`ve seen or at least heard of most of these guitarists and would concur that Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Alvin Lee, John Mayall, John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck, Hank B. Marvin (sorry!), BBKing, George Harrison (again, sorry!) and Dave Gilmour would be my top 10......today...but ask again tomorrow and it may be different!......except that I genuinely think in terms of originality, style, class and entertainment, Hendrix is head and shoulders above any other guitarist I`ve EVER known.
spot

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by spot »

Come on, ArnoldLayne, there's good rules of thumb about this. Can you recognize the guitarist from the first few bars of anything he ever recorded? Has every other guitarist on the planet tried to get your sound with your riff, in his bedroom? Does your granny perk up when you put him on the turntable? Yes yes yes, then you've just found Hank Marvin.

Given which argument, we all missed Whizz Jones, Brian May, Lonnie Donegan and Bert Weedon, and I have to find room for Richie Blackmore after all. You know the saying, never play "Smoke on the Water" in a guitar shop, the guy round in the next bay might be Blackmore and you'd get shown up?

Go on, admit you don't know Bert Weedon.

If anyone sees names on the thread that they don't recognize, and they get a track to see what they sound like, perhaps they'd like to post an initial impression? I can probably find a representative part-track of everyone mentioned so far on here, if that helps - PM or IM me and I'll get one to you.
Jives

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by Jives »

1. Steve Vai

2. David Gilmour - Yeah! You and me, Arnold! He's the greatest ever!

3. Me

4. Me

5. Me

6. Me

7. Me

8. Me

9. Me

10. Me

(I have an ego problem.)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
spot

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by spot »

Good Lord, Jives... OK, I'll bite - may I have a representative track of your selection 3 to 10, please? I'll enjoy reviewing it for the thread.
john8pies

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by john8pies »

Thanks for your support there, spot! and regarding the choice of Hank B. Marvin and George Harrison - I knew, I just KNEW in advance that people would `look down` on them (hence my reason for putting a tongue-in-cheek `sorry`in parentheses!!!!!) However, I must say it depends on the era you grew up - I was a child of the late 50s and early 60s and I remember Hank and the Shads knocking back some great tunes like Guitar Tango, Kon-Tiki, Wonderful Land, The Rise & Fall of Flingel Bunt, Apache , etc, so YES! I have included him (even if I admit he is not in the same league as Hendrix and Clapton) I remember Bert Weedon well, too, though thought he was fairly tame by comparison. In view of Jives` list above, I think I should have included my son, too!!!!!!!!!!
turbonium

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by turbonium »

John, I'll back you up on Harrison AND Marvin. One of my all time faves, Michael Schenker, was himself inspired to play through the Shadows!! And Harrison - well just two or three notes and you KNOW it's him playing - if that doesn't make him unique nothing does - and the notes are tasty as all hell!! Good picks!!

:guitarist :guitarist
capt_buzzard

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by capt_buzzard »

An Irish bloke Rory Gallagher

Attached files
turbonium

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by turbonium »

Wow - I TOTALLY forgot about Gallagher!! Another great player!!
capt_buzzard

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by capt_buzzard »

turbonium wrote: Wow - I TOTALLY forgot about Gallagher!! Another great player!!And you can add

Attached files
turbonium

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by turbonium »

'TONIGHT there's gonna be a JAILBREAK! Somewhere in this town!'

'Tonight there's gonna be a JAILBREAK! So don't you be arouuuuuund!!'

Dearly departed Phil - what a legacy!!
spot

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by spot »

OK, I think I could defend this list as the greatest all-time ten best guitarists, and nobody's mentioned any of them yet, unless I missed a post...

Mark Knopfler

Carmelo Luggeri

Claire Hamill

Les Paul

Joni Mitchell

Johnny Winter (or Edgar, I suppose, but I'm more familiar with the former)

Martin Barre, out of Jethro Tull

Bert Jansch

Chuck Berry

Paco de Lucia

The guy out of Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Of those, I've only seen six on stage.

Now I know you've not heard of Claire Hamill, but she really is the thing, honest. I bought her first album when it came out and her acoustic playing amazed me. Since then, she's turned New Age and some of her albums are purely instrumental, she knows how to do it.

Similarly, I saw Carmelo Luggeri in a school hall near Plymouth as accompanist for Kiki Dee before she toured. I don't know where she found him, but he's beyond just accomplished. They've got CDs out.
john8pies

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by john8pies »

Yes, I of course know nearly all the guitarists you name, spot (Brothers in Arms is one of my fave records ever; Joni Mitchell has the same birthday as me! ; Bert Jansch as in Pentangle; my son has Claire Hamill records, etc etc) but when you`re trying to condense them to a top 10 it`s so difficult to get them all in! in another group I`m in, we did top 50 favourite artistes, top 100 albums and top 1,000 tracks, and I still left some of my favourites out by accident! Who in CSNY were you talking about, as I have all their albums, too (again, one of my fave bands, as are the Hollies, whom Graham Nash used to play for) - which tracks do you like the guitar playing on and I`ll see if I can find out which one was playing on it!
BabyRider

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by BabyRider »

1) Carlos Santana

2) Jimmy Hendrix

3) Eric Clapton

That's the only 3 that matter. :yh_bigsmi
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Tan

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by Tan »

Others...

Dave Matthews

Asolutely Metallica, ACDC, Stevie Ray, Jeff Beck

Pantera, Billy Talent music,

and of couse Dixie Chicks
Tan
anastrophe

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by anastrophe »

BabyRider wrote: 1) Carlos Santana

2) Jimmy Hendrix

3) Eric Clapton

That's the only 3 that matter. :yh_bigsmi
If $#@!!! SBC doesn't stop playing Layla in the commercials soon, #3 is going to drop off the map for me. I never thought the day would come that I'd start to not just be bored by layla, but begin to *loathe* it.

thanks a lot SBC!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
next12win

Your top ten Guitarists

Post by next12win »

In no particular order:

- Joe Satriani

- Eddie Van Halen

- Eric Clapton

- Dave Matthews

- Wille Nelson

- John Mayer