Doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Hm. I wonder why. Just one of those things, I suppose.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bill Sikes;1313471 wrote: Hm. I wonder why. Just one of those things, I suppose.

Time of year, the sun is out there sparkling :-6
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I sparkle.
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I brushed my teeth. Does that help?:D
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;1313471 wrote: Hm. I wonder why. Just one of those things, I suppose.

I'm a shining example.:-6
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1313473 wrote: Time of year, the sun is out there sparkling :-6

Or "spakling" :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Nomad;1313479 wrote: I sparkle.

You spittle:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1313548 wrote: Or "spakling" :wah:

:yh_rotfl it was sparking!!
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1313556 wrote: :yh_rotfl it was sparking!!

thought it didn't look quite right :-5
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Bill Sikes;1313471 wrote: Hm. I wonder why. Just one of those things, I suppose. It does in my house Bill but why do you think this?
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

You just need to know where to look. :-6:)

Click on any picture.

:D

Anyone else wanna add some sparkly pictures for Mr Sikes? ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

What exactly do you mean Bill? Why aren't more members posting? Why aren't there more fun posts? Why does it seem sad in FG for a long time? Why are members on invisible and not posting?
spot

Post by spot »

It's harder to start a thread about real life than it used to be, these days spats and faux bonhomie tend to predominate. I'm not complaining, but there it is. Not everyone can and some don't, that's all there is to it. No gaiety, no song-and-dance, no here we go round the mulberry bush.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

spot;1313720 wrote: It's harder to start a thread about real life than it used to be, these days spats and faux bonhomie tend to predominate. I'm not complaining, but there it is. Not everyone can and some don't, that's all there is to it. No gaiety, no song-and-dance, no here we go round the mulberry bush.

It all started when you used smileys in a post. Then you pull out words like bonhomie and wonder why there are spats.;):D
spot

Post by spot »

YZGI;1313728 wrote: It all started when you used smileys in a post. Then you pull out words like bonhomie and wonder why there are spats.;):D

I apologize for the smilies, I was goaded into it.

French word, bonhomie. Meaning bonhomie. Anyone spelling it bonhommy is an ass.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

bon·ho·mie

Pronunciation: ˌbä-nə-ˈmē, ˌbō-

Function: noun

Etymology: French bonhomie, from bonhomme good-natured man, from bon good + homme man

Date: 1779

: good-natured easy friendliness

Faux (pronounced /ˈfoʊ/, like "foe") is a French word for false or fake

Sparkle may refer to:

A little/tiny spark

Sparkle (catamaran)

Sparkle (drink)

Sparkle, California, in Contra Costa County

Bill Sikes, return to your thread and elaborate. I beseech you.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

spot;1313720 wrote: No gaiety, no song-and-dance, no here we go round the mulberry bush.

Ah come on spot, I'm just waiting for you to ask me for the next dance. :D

Put on some music, Kathy. Dancing with the FGers is about to start...............
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

spot;1313737 wrote: I apologize for the smilies, I was goaded into it.

French word, bonhomie. Meaning bonhomie. Anyone spelling it bonhommy is an ass.

Or if we spell it bon hominy, we might get banished to a food thread or maybe banned altogether. Excuse me for that, but I'm in Louisiana at this moment, down on the bayou, the levees and feeling very sparklingly Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez! :-6
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Zapata;1313988 wrote: Or if we spell it bon hominy, we might get banished to a food thread or maybe banned altogether. Excuse me for that, but I'm in Louisiana at this moment, down on the bayou, the levees and feeling very sparklingly Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez! :-6I was down there a few years ago....... it was awesome!:guitarist
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

mrsK

Post by mrsK »

I am all sparkled out:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It used to be you could have free flowing discussion where different opinions were expressed about religion, politics etc. . I joined to discuss things not being terribly interested in playing word games and the like I've never even looked at that part. It was an opportunity to talk to people of very different world views from mine, it nade me think about why I believed some of the things I do and helped my understanding of different cultures and political attitudes. .

Then it seems you have some joining that miss the point of discussion forums.

You can't disagree with that person because you should respect someone personal religious beliefs. I had one poster tell me i should not be on the religious forum because I am not a believer and as such had no right to express an opinion.

You can't express a political opinion different from someone posting because everyone has a right to express an opinion and you should respect that, even if it is a load of cobblers.

It's impossible to mention international politics without mentioning america but anything critical is simply anti- american, end of discussion apparently. The silliest one was a woman who accused me of being anti-american because ---wait for it--- I didn't always use a capital A .

Then there are those that like making personal attacks and so find an excuse to take personal offence when none exists. Merely disagreeing is enough to set them off. Then there are the ones that chip in to a free flowing argument to suggest we shouldn't be arguing because someone's' feeling may be hurt

The sparkle has gone because the purpose of the forum had been lost imo. If it's a discussion forum and you don't like discussing things or being disagreed with then bugger off.

It's no fun any more. I'm fed up pussyfooting around in case I offend someone by disagreeing with them.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

gmc;1314056 wrote: It used to be you could have free flowing discussion where different opinions were expressed about religion, politics etc. . I joined to discuss things not being terribly interested in playing word games and the like I've never even looked at that part. It was an opportunity to talk to people of very different world views from mine, it nade me think about why I believed some of the things I do and helped my understanding of different cultures and political attitudes. .

You can't disagree with that person because you should respect someone personal religious beliefs. I had one poster tell me i should not be on the religious forum because I am not a believer and as such had no right to express an opinion.

You can't express a political opinion different from someone posting because everyone has a right to express an opinion and you should respect that, even if it is a load of cobblers.

It's impossible to mention international politics without mentioning america but anything critical is simply anti- american, end of discussion apparently. The silliest one was a woman who accused me of being anti-american because ---wait for it--- I didn't always use a capital A .

Then there are those that like making personal attacks and so find an excuse to take personal offence when none exists. Merely disagreeing is enough to set them off. Then there are the ones that chip in to a free flowing argument to suggest we shouldn't be arguing because someone's' feeling may be hurt

The sparkle has gone because the purpose of the forum had been lost imo. If it's a discussion forum and you don't like discussing things or being disagreed with then bugger off.

It's no fun any more. I'm fed up pussyfooting around in case I offend someone by disagreeing with them.

Aw gee, gmc. I felt pretty good this morning until I read this. Now I feel like going out to the garage and nibbling on the rat poison. Or cutting my wrists with a rusty knife. Think I'll just finish off the JD and go back to bed.:(
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

gmc;1314056 wrote: It used to be you could have free flowing discussion where different opinions were expressed about religion, politics etc. . I joined to discuss things not being terribly interested in playing word games and the like I've never even looked at that part. It was an opportunity to talk to people of very different world views from mine, it nade me think about why I believed some of the things I do and helped my understanding of different cultures and political attitudes. .

Then there are those that like making personal attacks and so find an excuse to take personal offense when none exists. Merely disagreeing is enough to set them off. Then there are the ones that chip in to a free flowing argument to suggest we shouldn't be arguing because someone's' feeling may be hurt

The sparkle has gone because the purpose of the forum had been lost IMO. If it's a discussion forum and you don't like discussing things or being disagreed with then bugger off.

I agree about the inability to simply have a discussion on any topic. It's either 'zinger and out' or requests for references - with footnotes and annotations.

America bashing isn't much of an issue lately as most folks who were really interested in discussing issues without feeling forced into a USA against the world debate every time - have moved on to have those conversations in other places. Using 'Capital A' is a deflection of the true complaint though, IMO. Better to have responded with a link to a handful of posts where you were decidedly pro-American, if they exist - ya know ....those Americans have the right idea about this or that kind of stuff.:thinking:

I agree with the personal attacks comment also. Wrote a fairly long bit here and then removed it.... bottom line - if they aren't interested in the topic of the thread rather then the personalties - they should just butt out, IMO.

I think we are entirely too PC here. You should be able to tell me that what I wrote is stupid, without fearing that someone will report you for inferring I am stupid. We don't want sterile debate and we don't want flame wars. I think that the solution is for those who can't take personal commentary to not engage in the more heated discussions.:thinking:

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I agree totally with gmc and Floppy. This is my second incarnation here and it is far from being the place it used to be. There used to be long running threads that would be filled with joy, fun, bad puns and general hilarity and most would join in. Theyre gone. Completely. I realise things evolve but there are far too many established posters who wont return because of the way things have changed and the way they have been treated. Sure it got heated at times, so does real life but mostly it was fun. Good fun

This place used to buzz 24 hours a day. Now it barely ticks over at certain times and thats sad
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I think the game threads should go the way of the personal rooms and quit showing up out front. It almost seems sometimes that they are used to force other members threads out of notice.

and seriously... if you want to challenge someone to come up with a word that rhymes, or to finish a thought, that's a game. But words that start with a letter?:rolleyes: Can you spell 'post whore'?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Snowfire;1314070 wrote: I agree totally with gmc and Floppy. This is my second incarnation here and it is far from being the place it used to be. There used to be long running threads that would be filled with joy, fun, bad puns and general hilarity and most would join in. Theyre gone. Completely. I realise things evolve but there are far too many established posters who wont return because of the way things have changed and the way they have been treated. Sure it got heated at times, so does real life but mostly it was fun. Good fun

This place used to buzz 24 hours a day. Now it barely ticks over at certain times and thats sad
My agreement is also with them and you and i'm not writing out of sour grapes due to the wife getting banned. My apologies if i'm repeating myself as i wrote about this only last night on the banger yobs thread.

As i did say last night, i don't post much but i've come here for two years to read threads. I've laughed at the likes of Hoppy, got upset over members personal struggles but also felt utter exasperation when i've seen the accusations ranging from being anti American, posting in another user name, hurting a posters feelings or being pulled up for daring to be honest by speaking your mind and disagreeing with anothers opinion. As gmc quite rightly said, it's a discussion forum and i think there are members here who need to log on to Stormfront as an example if only to see how brutally honest most forums are as i certainly wouldn't dare post my opinion there. Here, we tip toe around for fear of upsetting someone's belief or opinion. When members are straight talking within a very short time the whingers are reporting the posts so i can't help wondering what the true motive of them being here is.

Snowfire is right that this was once a vibrant interesting forum with strong individual characters and they've either now left the forum or rarely post. What we're left with is a page full of word games that no five year old would find challenging. Anyone logging into forum garden at night for the first time must run for the hills when they see the first page let alone register. Then you have your members who feel they own the site because they've been here the longest or have the highest post count. Also you have your members and thank god they are very few who come here to send private messages slating other members without realising their messages and e mails get passed on, because rather than just use a forum to discuss, they enjoy the tittle tattle of members personal lives.

I believe forums are no different to any kind of business and in business if you lose your bread and butter customers, new one's become hard to find. There seems to be an opinion here that members being banned or leaving will always be replaced by new members but i've not seen that here in the past two years. All forums need moderators and must have rules so it's not the moderation that i believe is the problem, but those of which gmc talked of who instead of just posting decide to self moderate everyone elses posts.

It's a huge shame because this forum has been one of the best around but now it's a shadow of it's former self.
theia

Post by theia »

flopstock;1314072 wrote: I think the game threads should go the way of the personal rooms and quit showing up out front. It almost seems sometimes that they are used to force other members threads out of notice.

and seriously... if you want to challenge someone to come up with a word that rhymes, or to finish a thought, that's a game. But words that start with a letter?:rolleyes: Can you spell 'post whore'?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I agree...we used to have some really humorous and/or thought provoking word games on here. I've tried resurrecting a couple but they don't seem to catch on.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

theia;1314078 wrote: I agree...we used to have some really humorous and/or thought provoking word games on here. I've tried resurrecting a couple but they don't seem to catch on.

That's most likely because the caliber of games we have been faced with lately dissuades most of us from even viewing threads in the category.:D

Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

flopstock;1314081 wrote: That's most likely because the caliber of games we have been faced with lately dissuades most of us from even viewing threads in the category.:D
I know of another disscusion forum where the site owner awoke one morn to find his entire front page filled with, words starting with S instead of the usual Obama health care reform or whatever. They were rapidly removed and all put into one thread but the poster never returned.
theia

Post by theia »

flopstock;1314081 wrote: That's most likely because the caliber of games we have been faced with lately dissuades most of us from even viewing threads in the category.:D

That's likely true, flop.

Just a suggestion but why don't we all use this thread to air our grumps, and have another thread suggesting various ways forward? I have such fond memories of FG and, even though it's going through a low cycle at present, it can and will begin to sparkle again.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1314078 wrote: I agree...we used to have some really humorous and/or thought provoking word games on here. I've tried resurrecting a couple but they don't seem to catch on.

I'd be happy to participate in a word game that takes a bit of thought (just a bit, not too much mind. I have a limited amount of working brain cells and I tend to ration them these days) Any you may have started, probably drowned in a sea of drivvle and went unnoticed.

I dont want to sound like a snob but I see no value in those types of word games other than to boost post counts and if thats all visitors see when the come, what is the attraction for them to join ?

Winston Churchill
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Snowfire;1314085 wrote: I'd be happy to participate in a word game that takes a bit of thought (just a bit, not too much mind. I have a limited amount of working brain cells and I tend to ration them these days) Any you may have started, probably drowned in a sea of drivvle and went unnoticed.

I dont want to sound like a snob but I see no value in those types of word games other than to boost post counts and if thats all visitors see when the come, what is the attraction for them to join ?
Can i just add to that? The word games posted on two other forums that i know of, are exact copies of the word games posted here making it rather simple to flit from one to the other using other members answers on different forums. What's the point?

I nearly forgot to add that i do enjoy some of the games on mock the week if you watch that as they're really humourous.
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1314085 wrote: I'd be happy to participate in a word game that takes a bit of thought (just a bit, not too much mind. I have a limited amount of working brain cells and I tend to ration them these days) Any you may have started, probably drowned in a sea of drivvle and went unnoticed.

I'll try pulling out a few of the old threads again...as I said in another post I used the word games when I first joined because I was a bit shy of posting too much elsewhere...they helped me to get to know a few people on here and broke the ice because they could be quite funny.
gmc

Post by gmc »

hoppy;1314062 wrote: Aw gee, gmc. I felt pretty good this morning until I read this. Now I feel like going out to the garage and nibbling on the rat poison. Or cutting my wrists with a rusty knife. Think I'll just finish off the JD and go back to bed.:(

You worry too much what other people think. Yours are some of the posts I enjoy most but primarily because I disagree with most of them, face to face we would probably argue a lot and have a good time doing it, and apart from the odd altercation sparked by cultural misunderstandings they're good fun.

posted by flopstock

I agree about the inability to simply have a discussion on any topic. It's either 'zinger and out' or requests for references - with footnotes and annotations.

America bashing isn't much of an issue lately as most folks who were really interested in discussing issues without feeling forced into a USA against the world debate every time - have moved on to have those conversations in other places. Using 'Capital A' is a deflection of the true complaint though, IMO. Better to have responded with a link to a handful of posts where you were decidedly pro-American, if they exist - ya know ....those Americans have the right idea about this or that kind of stuff

Depends what you are talking about. I think your foreign policy sucks and has done a lot of harm. Many of you seem unaware of what is done in your name. As it happens I think the UK's also sucks and has done a lot of harm but I don't have to worry about anyone telling not to be unpatriotic and anti-british when I talk about it nor do we pretend it's all a made up lie when someone points it out. Tony Blair and Gordon brown are two of the biggest wankers we have ever had the misfortune to be saddled with. That's not being unpatriotic that's a statement of fact. If I make similar comments about an american politician it's a comment on that politician and his policies it's not simply anti-american. I had relatives that fought alongside americans in ww2 and in korea, It's actually offensive when americans claim to have won ww2. True they helped and made a big difference but they didn't exactly do it on their own. Now I have relatives in the british armed forces fighting alongside americans yet again in afghanistan but I'm afraid my country right or wrong is terribly unbritish and you can support the troops and still object to the war and be thoroughly cynical about the motives for it and the bastards that got us in to it.

Most of the things america gets right are when they keep to the liberal ideals the US was founded on, you know freedom and equality and that kind of thing. All nations veer from left to right and back again. As it happens your democracy is probably in better state than ours at the moment but hopefully PR when we get it will make difference. My understanding is it was PR that made the difference in the democratic primaries and got Obama elected.

To go from lynching black people to electing one president in two generations - Now that is some achievement.
spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1314066 wrote: You should be able to tell me that what I wrote is stupid, without fearing that someone will report you for inferring I am stupid.
Implying, you daft besom.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1314134 wrote: Implying, you daft besom.

Bit of a sweeping statement wouldn't you say

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1314135 wrote: Bit of a sweeping statement wouldn't you say

Floppy's sentence was the greatest hostage to fortune I've ever seen on an open thread and by crikey that's saying something.

I want the Joke of the Week sticker for that.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

What the hell is a besom? have i just been insulted?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Snowfire;1314135 wrote: Bit of a sweeping statement wouldn't you say

I get it!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

gmc

Post by gmc »

flopstock;1314140 wrote: What the hell is a besom? have i just been insulted?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

:-5

noun

a broom, esp. one of brush or twigs.

broom (def. 2).

Don't tell me you all have hoovers. Mind you I would have thought a broom would be more use in a log cabin. Is it true you still live in them outside of the cities or do you use bricks nowadays? :sneaky:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's also a witches broom too...
Odie

Post by Odie »

theia;1314084 wrote:

Just a suggestion but why don't we all use this thread to air our grumps, and have another thread suggesting various ways forward? I have such fond memories of FG and, even though it's going through a low cycle at present, it can and will begin to sparkle again.

omg.......word games yet again.:rolleyes:

No one is playing word games to up their posts!:yh_rotfl

why is it okay to have other threads on front page, some of us enjoy word games, so what`s the big deal...seems ya can`t make anyone happy here.

and what is so hard in finding the other threads is a mystery to me.:thinking:

mods play them to and get them on front page.

geez, its a forum, all forums have word games.:D

let me re-phase that, typical forums like this one.

(edited by Odie)
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1314253 wrote: geez, its a forum, all forums have word games.:D

Well... no. Not all. Mine doesn't. It has a polite notice telling word-gamers to go elsewhere.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

theia;1313548 wrote: Or "spakling" :wah:

Maybe some people are spackling too.
theia

Post by theia »

Zapata;1314271 wrote: Maybe some people are spackling too.

Its me age, Zap :-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1314254 wrote: Well... no. Not all. Mine doesn't. It has a polite notice telling word-gamers to go elsewhere.

what kind of forum do you have spot?

let me rephrase that, most forums have word games, meaning the typical forums like this one.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1314276 wrote: what kind of forum do you have spot?

let me rephrase that, most forums have word games, meaning the typical forums like this one.

Ah - there we are then, you've provided your own answer. An atypical forum.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

spot;1314134 wrote: Implying, you daft besom.

I love that! Daft besom will be my phrase for the day.

I just called my sister in law "daft besom", placing loud emphasis on the daft and it startled her so that she nearly jumped out of her skin. Well, not literally for then I'd have to go looking for a besom to redd up.
spot

Post by spot »

Zapata;1314285 wrote: I love that! Daft besom will be my phrase for the day.

It might help if I throw the OED definition into the thread before anyone gets slapped...7. A contemptuous or jocular designation for a woman. Scottish and dialect.

Examples contain "the auld besom", "a determined besom" and "Gosh! The little besom!", all of which are in the same spirit as what I threw at the flopster. An alternative local variant would be "daft as a brush" which I've heard here around Bristol more than once, though besom strikes me as having an element of interfering busybody about it to go with the block-headed aspect.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1314283 wrote: Ah - there we are then, you've provided your own answer. An atypical forum.

yes I did, again, what kind of forum do you run?

Return to “General Chit Chat”