Lyme Disease...

K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

Lyme disease is the most common tick-borne disease in the Northern Hemisphere. Borrelia is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected ticks belonging to a few species of the genus Ixodes ("hard ticks"). Early symptoms may include fever, headache, fatigue, depression, and a characteristic circular skin rash called erythema migrans. Left untreated, later symptoms may involve the joints, heart, and central nervous system. In most cases, the infection and its symptoms are eliminated by antibiotics, especially if the illness is treated early.[citation needed] Late, delayed, or inadequate treatment can lead to the more serious symptoms, which can be disabling and difficult to treat. Occasionally, symptoms such as arthritis persist after the infection has been eliminated by antibiotics, prompting suggestions that Borrelia causes autoimmunity. Lyme disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My 3 year old nephew visits his grandparents(my sister's boyfriend's side) and they have a pond that's completely infested with God only knows the differing species of bugs that fly around it. They insist on letting him "play freely" with what I know is a stubborn nature kick. Every time he returns home the poor kid has insect bites riddling his body of more than 30 fold!

Well over the past 3 days my nephew has been laid up in the hospital with pneumonia and running a fever of 105F.

I can't help but wonder if this is all related and with Lyme disease being a medical condition that has a very large cause for concern I thought some might like to discuss it.

Anyone have/had experience with this disease?

Can bug bites be related to my nephew becoming dangerously ill?
LarsMac

Lyme Disease...

Post by LarsMac »

It's possible, of course, that your nephew picked up some 'bug' from the bugs in the pond. However, surely you know that pneumonia is generally a secondary infection, caused by other conditions that are not properly dealt with.

The common cold has been responsible for more pneumonia infections and ensuing deaths than we can possibly imagine.

I suspect that if properly cared for the boy will eventually benefit from his adventures, as his immune system will have developed a lot of defenses by the time he matures.

If he has been to this pond often, he has probably found most of the pathogens that are common to the area, by now.

I do join you in prayer that his bout with pneumonia is quickly recovered from.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Lyme Disease...

Post by LarsMac »

As for specifically Lyme disease, There is no indications that I know of that directly link Lyme to pneumonia, but a weakened condition from Lyme attack combined with a cold or flu o some such could be contributing factors.

I suspect that I was exposed to Lyme a couple of years ago, and still have the ring around the bite area, and suspect the Lyme is the originator of the problems I have now.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1304337 wrote: It's possible, of course, that your nephew picked up some 'bug' from the bugs in the pond. However, surely you know that pneumonia is generally a secondary infection, caused by other conditions that are not properly dealt with.

The common cold has been responsible for more pneumonia infections and ensuing deaths than we can possibly imagine. Yes, that is true. I suppose I failed to mention that he's been "coincidentally" sick the past 3 times he's returned from there, so perhaps this is influencing my question largely.

LarsMac;1304337 wrote:

I suspect that if properly cared for the boy will eventually benefit from his adventures, as his immune system will have developed a lot of defenses by the time he matures.

If he has been to this pond often, he has probably found most of the pathogens that are common to the area, by now.

I do join you in prayer that his bout with pneumonia is quickly recovered from. Yes but it's not like he's 6-7 years old where he can choose decisively what he wishes to do at all times on top of the fact this poor kid is being bitten tens of times without a very good ability to swat them. He'll have plenty of time to build up his immune system but seeing the child getting gorged on by bugs is not something I'd personally cotton to
K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

Had I mentioned the pond appears horribly unhealthy and green?
LarsMac

Lyme Disease...

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1304342 wrote: Yes, that is true. I suppose I failed to mention that he's been "coincidentally" sick the past 3 times he's returned from there, so perhaps this is influencing my question largely.

Yes but it's not like he's 6-7 years old where he can choose decisively what he wishes to do at all times on top of the fact this poor kid is being bitten tens of times without a very good ability to swat them. He'll have plenty of time to build up his immune system but seeing the child getting gorged on by bugs is not something I'd personally cotton to

Good points.

I haven't seen anything in you post, though, that would suggest Lyme is particularly to blame, though.

Lyme, to my knowledge is not transferred to humans except via ticks, and the tick will not drop off for several days, meaning SOMEBODY should have noticed.

For other obvious reasons, a three your old playing near a pond should be setting off alarm bells in SOMEBODY's head, too.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1304347 wrote: For other obvious reasons, a three your old playing near a pond should be setting off alarm bells in SOMEBODY's head, too.

Well yes, I don't want to paint them as "bad people" and they're surely not, so you can take comfort in my telling you that they sit out there with him and make sure he doesn't get too close. I just mentioned the pond to give an idea of how infested his playing environment is when he visits that place.

The obvious difference is that adults can generally combat bugs to a rather significant degree on a subconscious level. A 3 year old kid has not the experience to do it. Nature is good, yes. Nature is also bad, yes.
LarsMac

Lyme Disease...

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1304352 wrote: Well yes, I don't want to paint them as "bad people" and they're surely not, so you can take comfort in my telling you that they sit out there with him and make sure he doesn't get too close. I just mentioned the pond to give an idea of how infested his playing environment is when he visits that place.

The obvious difference is that adults can generally combat bugs to a rather significant degree on a subconscious level. A 3 year old kid has not the experience to do it. Nature is good, yes. Nature is also bad, yes.

True enough.

Of course any number of things could be causing the child physical distress, at that age. changes in diet, environment, and playmates.

Kids are part of the primary delivery system for most contagious diseases.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1304353 wrote: True enough.

Of course any number of things could be causing the child physical distress, at that age. changes in diet, environment, and playmates.

Kids are part of the primary delivery system for most contagious diseases.

I was very rarely sick as a kid so that's another reason. My mother would always mention I'd get "pneumonia" if I played out in the rain and whatnot but I always assumed it was very rare.

I do know that a 3 year old with pneumonia is never something to take lightly. I'd also like to mention that when my sister had taken him to a doctor the day before he was measured at 105F that she "should should let it take it's course because it's probably just a viral infection" and had she done so would have been as bad as imaginable.

105F for a 3 year old kid is an all out emergency and I'd also like to add that everyone shouldn't follow what doctors say religiously and should always, ALWAYS! get a second opinion.

On that this kid was tested 7 freakin times of the same exact tests of more than 3 doctors. Now how in the World is our healthcare even good at all let alone "the best"!?!?!??!? WAKE UP "AMERICA"!
LarsMac

Lyme Disease...

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1304355 wrote: I was very rarely sick as a kid so that's another reason. My mother would always mention I'd get "pneumonia" if I played out in the rain and whatnot but I always assumed it was very rare.

I do know that a 3 year old with pneumonia is never something to take lightly. I'd also like to mention that when my sister had taken him to a doctor the day before he was measured at 105F that she "should should let it take it's course because it's probably just a viral infection" and had she done so would have been as bad as imaginable.

105F for a 3 year old kid is an all out emergency and I'd also like to add that everyone shouldn't follow what doctors say religiously and should always, ALWAYS! get a second opinion.

On that this kid was tested 7 freakin times of the same exact tests of more than 3 doctors. Now how in the World is our healthcare even good at all let alone "the best"!?!?!??!? WAKE UP "AMERICA"!

Are you not studying medicine?

I thought you were from other posts.

105 for child is somewhat high, but not considered extreme for a child of that age.

The docs were probably testing for streptococci, and other serious bugs, and found none.

This would be normal, and if positive, a serious problem.

However fever is part of the normal immune response, and children will often show fever in the 101 - 105 range from relatively minor infections.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Lyme Disease...

Post by gmc »

K.Snyder;1304330 wrote: My 3 year old nephew visits his grandparents(my sister's boyfriend's side) and they have a pond that's completely infested with God only knows the differing species of bugs that fly around it. They insist on letting him "play freely" with what I know is a stubborn nature kick. Every time he returns home the poor kid has insect bites riddling his body of more than 30 fold!

Well over the past 3 days my nephew has been laid up in the hospital with pneumonia and running a fever of 105F.

I can't help but wonder if this is all related and with Lyme disease being a medical condition that has a very large cause for concern I thought some might like to discuss it.

Anyone have/had experience with this disease?

Can bug bites be related to my nephew becoming dangerously ill?

Couple more links for you

Lyme disease

Some patients with Lyme disease feel like they have caught influenza - the symptoms may be:

* drowsiness

* headaches

* mild fever

* joint and muscle pains

* swollen lymph glands.

Ticks - Lyme Disease & other tick borne diseases in Britain

No personal experience but I know a woman in her thirties who had caught it years previously, it had affected her heart rather badly.

There are loads of other things it could be I suppose but it's common sense a stagnant pond will have infections around it.

As a hillwalker in scotland ticks, clegs, midges etc are something you learn to be wary of.You can always spot native scots hillwalker in the summer - they are the ones NOT wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. - had a dog that became very ill after a tick bite. It's common sense that insect bites can carry disease and there's nothing wimpy about avoiding them if you can.

Nature bites and bites hard, I take it they are not normally outdoor types
K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1304381 wrote: Are you not studying medicine?

I thought you were from other posts.

105 for child is somewhat high, but not considered extreme for a child of that age.

The docs were probably testing for streptococci, and other serious bugs, and found none.

This would be normal, and if positive, a serious problem.

However fever is part of the normal immune response, and children will often show fever in the 101 - 105 range from relatively minor infections.

I am studying drug names in association with their brand names, and obviously their chemical names, more predominantly but yes and you've helped with it as much as I can appreciate. I will say however that my cynicism is an attribute I personally take much pride in and will suggest it's far more important in regards to my ability to learn. :yh_rotfl

:yh_wink
K.Snyder

Lyme Disease...

Post by K.Snyder »

gmc;1304437 wrote: Nature bites and bites hard, I take it they are not normally outdoor types

Thanks for the previous effort, I appreciate it.

But to the quote, they're just hippies. :yh_rotfl :yh_wink

I do find mosquitos and the like to be far more dangerous than the average person and from what I've read Lyme disease is something that is not particularly known about to a great extent and thought people might like to discuss it.
gmc

Lyme Disease...

Post by gmc »

K.Snyder;1304518 wrote: Thanks for the previous effort, I appreciate it.

But to the quote, they're just hippies. :yh_rotfl :yh_wink

I do find mosquitos and the like to be far more dangerous than the average person and from what I've read Lyme disease is something that is not particularly known about to a great extent and thought people might like to discuss it.

Not terribly realistic then. Love nature and it won't kill you.
LarsMac

Lyme Disease...

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1304518 wrote:

I do find mosquitos and the like to be far more dangerous than the average person ...

I dunno. The average person can be pretty dangerous.

:D
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Health Wellness”