Yard work is back!

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
flopstock

Yard work is back!

Post by flopstock »

Raked the strawberry patches this morning and the bed is covered in green plants already. Apparently they took well to the splitup last fall..:p

Just went out to the shed and pulled out the lawn mower and tiller. I'm off to the gardening store for the weed and feed and oil for the equipment then I'll stop at the gas station and fill the gas can.

I'll get some onions and lettuce going later today I'm thinking.

If you folks never hear back from me, know that I died happy..:-6:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

mine's already done!:yh_rotfl

-leafs raked

-solar lights, deck table and chairs, garden funnies are out.

-lawn mower ready

-hoed around some trees and put red multch down.

will do hot house tomatoes plants next month when its warmer.

tulips are almost open

all perennials are growing .

trees have buds and some now have leaves.

bird bath back out and filled

I love spring!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

Yard work is being done right now-by two enterprising teens who are raking the leftover of last years leaves. :)
hoppy

Yard work is back!

Post by hoppy »

My building's maintenance crew does all my yard work.:wah:
Lon

Yard work is back!

Post by Lon »

I would prefer to eat a big bowl of worms than to do any kind of yard work.

Attached files
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1302954 wrote: Yard work is being done right now-by two enterprising teens who are raking the leftover of last years leaves. :)

:yh_rotfl

I planted my pansies last weekend in a container on the front deck, have you got yours yet?
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

No, not yet. But my tulips are blooming. :)
LarsMac

Yard work is back!

Post by LarsMac »

I was working up the gumption to do my weeding and mowing this morning, thinking how many things I'd rather be doing on a Saturday morning (or any other morning, truth be known) than weeding and mowing the dadburn yard. But seeing as how I dispatched my yard service last year and hadn't got around to shopping for another, yet, there was no one but me to get 'er done, and if I didn't do it soon it would take a Brushhog to clean it up.

So I set out with my dog, Pitstop, so's she could do her duty before I get to work, and I see the gang of young folks all walking along the street.

I wonder what they's up to, and just then a couple of them spot me and head my way.

Danged kids selling magazines or some such to raise money for the school, or worse, they's Moonies, or Scientologists, or whatnot.

Ol' Pitstop sees 'em coming and I am sure she is gonna start yapping and wake the wife, and I start to bristle up and prepare tell them I ain't interested, and Pitstop goes running up to one of 'em and does her little "Let's be friends" dance.

Now the kids start to pet Pitstop, and one of 'em says that they are from the local Nazarene church and they are looking for work.

I says, "well", says I, "I don't much money to pay for anything just now."

The one pipes up, " We are on a project to help folks with work they need done. All we ask in return is that you donate some foods to the food bank at the church."

Turns out the church has a food bank they run where they give out food to folks that need a little extra help. I didn't even know it was there.

"Well," Again, says I, "I'm fixin' to get my yardwork started."

Kid says, "We'd be happy to do it for you."

So I says, "well, I got lots o' canned stuff and some noodles and rice and such. I reckon I can take some over there later today."

Suddenly about a dozen teenagers are attacking my weeds and they come up with a couple of trimmers and a mower, and by the time Pitstop had finished her morning "chores" all my yardwork for the day was done.

My buddy called up and says, "I got some free passes for the golf course. Let's go play some golf. I'll spring for the cart. You buy the beer and burgers"

God is good.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1302977 wrote: No, not yet. But my tulips are blooming. :)

oh wonderful!:-6
FUBAR

Yard work is back!

Post by FUBAR »

Yard Work? I recall Bill Bryson pointing this out in one of his books as one of the differences between the UK and the USA. The UK goes gardening for the fun and pleasure of it while in the US they have yard work..sort of makes it sound less enjoyable. Must be that puritanical streak--- if it's fun it's bad for you and will have to be stopped.......:thinking:
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1302993 wrote: I was working up the gumption to do my weeding and mowing this morning, thinking how many things I'd rather be doing on a Saturday morning (or any other morning, truth be known) than weeding and mowing the dadburn yard. But seeing as how I dispatched my yard service last year and hadn't got around to shopping for another, yet, there was no one but me to get 'er done, and if I didn't do it soon it would take a Brushhog to clean it up.

So I set out with my dog, Pitstop, so's she could do her duty before I get to work, and I see the gang of young folks all walking along the street.

I wonder what they's up to, and just then a couple of them spot me and head my way.

Danged kids selling magazines or some such to raise money for the school, or worse, they's Moonies, or Scientologists, or whatnot.

Ol' Pitstop sees 'em coming and I am sure she is gonna start yapping and wake the wife, and I start to bristle up and prepare tell them I ain't interested, and Pitstop goes running up to one of 'em and does her little "Let's be friends" dance.

Now the kids start to pet Pitstop, and one of 'em says that they are from the local Nazarene church and they are looking for work.

I says, "well", says I, "I don't much money to pay for anything just now."

The one pipes up, " We are on a project to help folks with work they need done. All we ask in return is that you donate some foods to the food bank at the church."

Turns out the church has a food bank they run where they give out food to folks that need a little extra help. I didn't even know it was there.

"Well," Again, says I, "I'm fixin' to get my yardwork started."

Kid says, "We'd be happy to do it for you."

So I says, "well, I got lots o' canned stuff and some noodles and rice and such. I reckon I can take some over there later today."

Suddenly about a dozen teenagers are attacking my weeds and they come up with a couple of trimmers and a mower, and by the time Pitstop had finished her morning "chores" all my yardwork for the day was done.

My buddy called up and says, "I got some free passes for the golf course. Let's go play some golf. I'll spring for the cart. You buy the beer and burgers"

God is good.

God is good.:)
LarsMac

Yard work is back!

Post by LarsMac »

FUBAR;1303010 wrote: Yard Work? I recall Bill Bryson pointing this out in one of his books as one of the differences between the UK and the USA. The UK goes gardening for the fun and pleasure of it while in the US they have yard work..sort of makes it sound less enjoyable. Must be that puritanical streak--- if it's fun it's bad for you and will have to be stopped.......:thinking:

Good point.

I think the short mowed wide lots of open yards are a vestige of the pioneer days, when folks cleared out the area around the settlement so they Injuns couldn't sneak up on them.

Myself, I prefer a small grassy area surrounded by a lot of flowery shrubs and perennials
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
southern yankee

Yard work is back!

Post by southern yankee »

you know i love yard work:-4. some would say HUH??:confused::confused:. to me it is the best cure for depression. i feel sooooo good. after a day out in the sun :-6:-6and fresh air. it is just what the DR. ordered;) now i move at a lot slower pase then i use to. but what the hey. it is still FUN:)
Mustang

Yard work is back!

Post by Mustang »

southern yankee;1303081 wrote: you know i love yard work:-4. some would say HUH??:confused::confused:. to me it is the best cure for depression. i feel sooooo good. after a day out in the sun :-6:-6and fresh air. it is just what the DR. ordered;) now i move at a lot slower pase then i use to. but what the hey. it is still FUN:)

I'm with you southern yankee. :) Yard work is therapeutic. I'd rather be outdoors taking in the sunshine and fresh air and tinkering around doing a little bit or this or that. Then, at the end of the day, stand back and revel in the accomplishment. :-6 ahahahaha, I too, know about moving at a slower pace, but eventually things do get done. ;)
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1303092 wrote: I'm with you southern yankee. :) Yard work is therapeutic. I'd rather be outdoors taking in the sunshine and fresh air and tinkering around doing a little bit or this or that. Then, at the end of the day, stand back and revel in the accomplishment. :-6 ahahahaha, I too, know about moving at a slower pace, but eventually things do get done. ;)

ditto to you both, it pays when you've done a hard days work in the garden.:D
flopstock

Yard work is back!

Post by flopstock »

Littleones dad came down today and got the dang thing running for me. Something about gas getting goopy in the line on the mower over the winter. Anyhoot he came down and took her for brunch and then got it going for me. He really is a great guy.:-6

Did get two raspberry and two blueberry plants bought and put in around one of the strawberry patches yesterday though.

Off to do the front yard now. Littleone has poop patrol, so fun times ahead..:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

southern yankee

Yard work is back!

Mustang;1303092 wrote: I'm with you southern yankee. :) Yard work is therapeutic. I'd rather be outdoors taking in the sunshine and fresh air and tinkering around doing a little bit or this or that. Then, at the end of the day, stand back and revel in the accomplishment. :-6 ahahahaha, I too, know about moving at a slower pace, but eventually things do get done. ;) you got that right. it is something you have grown, made, and help produced. it is awsome:):)
southern yankee

Yard work is back!

Odie;1303103 wrote: ditto to you both, it pays when you've done a hard days work in the garden.:D Well now i went Lowes. bought 4 new bushes, plus 3 berry bushes on clearance (that's even better!!). i can't help it. but you know soon i will run out of yard!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ZAP

Yard work is back!

Post by ZAP »

southern yankee;1303129 wrote: Well now i went Lowes. bought 4 new bushes, plus 3 berry bushes on clearance (that's even better!!). i can't help it. but you know soon i will run out of yard!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Most of my thriving garden plants are rejects from Lowe's that were marked 75% off. Bougainvilleas, oleanders, sage, evergreen Christmas trees, (rosemary & sage) Some were only $1.00. That really gives me a sense of pride to have brought those plants out of the trash, so to speak.
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1303129 wrote: Well now i went Lowes. bought 4 new bushes, plus 3 berry bushes on clearance (that's even better!!). i can't help it. but you know soon i will run out of yard!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Did you watch the movie Jaws?

'we need a bigger boat'!:yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

That might be true, Fubar. I enjoy the flower garden, but if I'm outside, I want to be moving around, not restricted to just a yard.

A nice long walk.

A run around the softball diamond.

Flying kites in meadows of wildflowers-oh, I took my husband outside last weekend and we flew a lizard kite. It was so much fun.

But pushing the lawnmower-oh, that hurts after awhile. I do have someone else do it for me. It isn't fun at all.
flopstock

Yard work is back!

Post by flopstock »

My yard is a thing of beauty now.:-6

and poop free:p:yh_rotfl

southern yankee

Yard work is back!

Zapata;1303134 wrote: Most of my thriving garden plants are rejects from Lowe's that were marked 75% off. Bougainvilleas, oleanders, sage, evergreen Christmas trees, (rosemary & sage) Some were only $1.00. That really gives me a sense of pride to have brought those plants out of the trash, so to speak. there is a nursery in town. there is a section there called the GRAVE YARD. everything from there is FREE. Last year. 4 out of 7 lived. what the heck, right???;)
ZAP

Yard work is back!

Post by ZAP »

Wow! How far are you from Deville?:wah: I'm jealous! I've got 3 gorgeous 4' tall, flowering shrub/trees that looked dead when I paid $1 for each, 2 years ago. I will not pay full price for any plants. Just wait a while for them to go on sale. I've asked when one is going to go on sale and usually the manager marks it down. This is at Lowe's, where they know me by now. I don't have that kind of luck at other stores.
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1303351 wrote: there is a nursery in town. there is a section there called the GRAVE YARD. everything from there is FREE. Last year. 4 out of 7 lived. what the heck, right???;)

oh gosh yes, its amazing what plants do come back to life.
southern yankee

Yard work is back!

Zapata;1303362 wrote: Wow! How far are you from Deville?:wah: I'm jealous! I've got 3 gorgeous 4' tall, flowering shrub/trees that looked dead when I paid $1 for each, 2 years ago. I will not pay full price for any plants. Just wait a while for them to go on sale. I've asked when one is going to go on sale and usually the manager marks it down. This is at Lowe's, where they know me by now. I don't have that kind of luck at other stores. another neet place i pick up green bargins is plant fairs, flea markets, and garage sales. this weekend a near by town is having a plant sale. i buy babies or end of season things . soooo much fun to bargin. they even have swap tables. never know what you can come up with there.:D
FUBAR

Yard work is back!

Post by FUBAR »

i buy babies or end of season things

They sell babies at the end of season...:thinking::thinking:

Remember a baby is not just for Christmas...........:D:D
southern yankee

Yard work is back!

FUBAR;1303389 wrote: i buy babies or end of season things

They sell babies at the end of season...:thinking::thinking:

Remember a baby is not just for Christmas...........:D:D i really like plant shows. you can find the DIFFERENT. at a good price. lots of stuff for a buck.
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

just trimmed my variegated ***** willow tree.

cut back all my crocus's.

next month is when I buy my two hanging baskets.:guitarist
biggirls

Yard work is back!

Post by biggirls »

wonderful,lol
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

did 3 hours of weeding the gardens.

planted a small golden bush and surrounded it by red multch.

mowed the front and back lawns

took the electric hedge trimmers and did the neighours hedge on my side.

dug two holes and planted 2 shrubs in the backyard

and that was in 2 days!:yh_rotfl

omg.......my back!:-5:wah:
Peg

Yard work is back!

Post by Peg »

flopstock;1302930 wrote: Raked the strawberry patches this morning and the bed is covered in green plants already. Apparently they took well to the splitup last fall..:p

Just went out to the shed and pulled out the lawn mower and tiller. I'm off to the gardening store for the weed and feed and oil for the equipment then I'll stop at the gas station and fill the gas can.

I'll get some onions and lettuce going later today I'm thinking.

If you folks never hear back from me, know that I died happy..:-6:D

I was really confused why you waited so long then noticed this is from April. :yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Yard work is back!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I think we should all take pics of our backyard and plants and post them here.
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1322881 wrote: I think we should all take pics of our backyard and plants and post them here.

That's a fabulous idea Kathy, my goosenecks blossomed just last week, will have to post a pic.
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, the gardener came while I was gone, he weed wacked all my California poppies.:-1
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1322977 wrote: Oh, the gardener came while I was gone, he weed wacked all my California poppies.:-1

:-3

some gardener:-5
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

Here are some photos of my front gardens from left to right:

hostas under the front tree

scary tree guy

more hostas

green cone flowers

Attached files
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

and some more.........

from left to right:

white flox

goosenecks

shasta daisys

purple cone flowers

front of my house: garden & birdbath, middle garden is a golden rod shrub I just bought surrounded with red multch.

Attached files
Peg

Yard work is back!

Post by Peg »

All your hard work has paid off Odie. It looks beautiful.
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

Peg;1323551 wrote: All your hard work has paid off Odie. It looks beautiful.

Thank you Peg, now we need everyone to show us their gardens.:guitarist
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

Beautiful garden, Odie!
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1323562 wrote: Beautiful garden, Odie!
why thank you, now its your turn to show yours!
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

You know, I have a few photos to take on the disposable camera so I can develop the vacation pics, I will take some.
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1323567 wrote: You know, I have a few photos to take on the disposable camera so I can develop the vacation pics, I will take some.

great, that means we get to see that gorgeous grandson of yours.:guitarist
Peg

Yard work is back!

Post by Peg »

I can't get to most of my yard on crutches. It's almost all hill. :(
Odie

Yard work is back!

Post by Odie »

Peg;1323570 wrote: I can't get to most of my yard on crutches. It's almost all hill. :(

ah you poor kid, can someone else take a few?
Peg

Yard work is back!

Post by Peg »

My husband already does all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, gets my drinks, gets my food, plus does all the stuff he normally does. I hate to ask more of him. I should be in a shorter cast in 3 weeks and might be able to do it then.
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, can the neighbors or kids pick them for you?
Peg

Yard work is back!

Post by Peg »

He picks the vegetables.
chonsigirl

Yard work is back!

Post by chonsigirl »

You have a gem of a husband!

Return to “Gardening Forum”