Anyone else have panic attacks?

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
theia

Post by theia »

I haven't had one for a couple of months and, surprisingly, I'd forgotten how awful they are. This evening's attack brought it all back. The fear that overwhelms is so intense that any coping strategies that you thought you had just fly out of the window. It takes you over and you just want to run away from it, yourself...and how possible is that, for goodness sake :rolleyes:

Now that I'm a little removed from the fear, I'm thinking that there must be something positive underlying this panic...an opportunity, a doorway or a blessing...I wonder
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

theia;1301732 wrote: I haven't had one for a couple of months and, surprisingly, I'd forgotten how awful they are. This evening's attack brought it all back. The fear that overwhelms is so intense that any coping strategies that you thought you had just fly out of the window. It takes you over and you just want to run away from it, yourself...and how possible is that, for goodness sake :rolleyes:

Now that I'm a little removed from the fear, I'm thinking that there must be something positive underlying this panic...an opportunity, a doorway or a blessing...I wonder
Sorry to hear you suffer Theia. I myself never had them until one day very recently and I wondered what the heck was going on. I was taken to hospital because I had no history of them and I had an Irregular heart beat. They kept me In for the night and did all manner of tests to conclude I'd had a panic attack but I've never had one since.

I think at the time I made myself worse because my mother died of a stroke and I was convinced I was having one too. It was just so awful and I do sympathise with you. My Doc prescribed me Lozoprame ( I think that's howyou spell It) as It was a pretty traumatic time In my life but I stopped taking them because they made me so sleepy.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Anxiety...!!!

This could be related to dealing with your Mothers passing.

Yes, I use to have panic attacks - started after my Husband died.

No fun - I hate them

Take a deep breath & try to calm yourself.

Patsy
theia

Post by theia »

Patsy Warnick;1301825 wrote: Anxiety...!!!

This could be related to dealing with your Mothers passing.

Yes, I use to have panic attacks - started after my Husband died.

No fun - I hate them

Take a deep breath & try to calm yourself.

Patsy

You could well be right, Patsy, thank you. I've never yet had a panic attack when I'm emotional, they only seem to happen when I'm not expressing feelings. I also find the same connection with physical ailments...it's as if my emotions have to express themselves in some other way if I don't express them naturally.

Thank you, Oscar
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

When supress - keep things internally

our system will express since it has to deal with issues that We try not to deal with.

I remember trying to make a left hand turn - I couldn't, I sat in the intersection with every one honking their horns.. I thought I was going to pass out.

I'd avoid left hand turns - I'd go way out of my way & only make right hand turns.

I wore a rubber band on my wrist to snap it when a attack came.

The body is amazing - right when you think you can deal & you have your stuff in order - it's Hell NO - you haven't delt with this little Miss.

See a DR - make sure there's nothing else going on - these attack elevate your blood pressure.

Be safe - take care of yourself then deal with issues life throws us.

Patsy
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've only ever had one (in the middle of a shopping centre) , my heart my head my hearing all went berzerk that was about 17 years ago and nothing since.

I wouldn't like to ever experience that again was trully horrible.

for me it's strange because I was appreciative of my situation of having to enter a future crisis situation ....I think it was anticipation of this (things were about to come to a head , so to speak). But during the actual crisis I was fine. Theia are you anticipating a future time of crisis?
weeder

Post by weeder »

Oh God Jackie... Im so sorry about your mother... Memories rushing back......

And the panic attacks? Horrible. Ive been thinking about you a lot lately............

The Blue Ridge Mountains might make you feel better..................????

Your always welcome. Weeder
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

weeder;1301960 wrote: Oh God Jackie... Im so sorry about your mother... Memories rushing back......

And the panic attacks? Horrible. Ive been thinking about you a lot lately............

The Blue Ridge Mountains might make you feel better..................????

Your always welcome. Weeder

Sure if you like 2 headed inbreds running around all over the place looking you up and down like your their next dinner.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Nomad I don't know where the Blue Ridge Mtns are

any thing like the OZARKS - pretty area, but NO Thank You..

They were going to drag me home by my hair and say

Look "PA" this is better than Posum...:wah:

Weeder

good to see ya...

Patsy
weeder

Post by weeder »

Nomad;1301989 wrote: Sure if you like 2 headed inbreds running around all over the place looking you up and down like your their next dinner.

You are totally out of your mind............... That incest rumor is just a myth.

Why just yesterday, I said to my sister, whos married to my father....." When the heck is mom going to come out of that shed with Bo?" ( my brother)
weeder

Post by weeder »

Patsy Warnick;1301994 wrote: Nomad I don't know where the Blue Ridge Mtns are

any thing like the OZARKS - pretty area, but NO Thank You..

They were going to drag me home by my hair and say

Look "PA" this is better than Posum...:wah:

Weeder

good to see ya...

Patsy

You too Patsy.....................
theia

Post by theia »

Lovely to see you, Weeder, how are you?

Panic attacks, then today laryngitis and I'm still hobbling around with my painful foot that I sprained when I was reversing out of my drive and hit a parked car a month ago. It's almost funny :wah:
weeder

Post by weeder »

Im OK..but its been a heck of a hard ride for the past 18 months.

Again, sorry to hear about your mother.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

It's good to see you here, Weeder. Miss ya.

Panic attacks:

I remember the only two I've ever had.

One, when I was helping an aunt-in-law move into her new apartment house. My ex-Hubby was there along with my younger son who was only maybe 4 at the time. We were busy helping in and out of the apartment when suddenly, I didn't see my son. I called his name. No answer. We looked in and around the apartment. He was gone. Panic Attack. For me. After a few minutes...which seemed like eternity, a neighbor brought my son out from her home. Seems she invited my son in to watch Tv with her child while we were busy. Big relief to have my son back. Small annoyance for the neighbor not informing us.

Two, during cataract surgery. I was hoping and praying that I didn't blink duiring the surgery. I was so worried that I would and mess up the procedure.

Panic attacks are sheer torture.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
weeder

Post by weeder »

I dont know anyone on the forum anymore.........:( Well, almost no one.

I will e mail you. Weeder
koan

Post by koan »

I used to get them when I was 18. They went away when I changed my situation and reduced the source of stress.

Got anxiety attacks a lot in my late twenties. That's not as physically scary but I thought I was losing my bleedin' mind for a while. Those were more side effects from antibiotics and birth control. Finally gone now I've cleaned my system out.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I've had anxiety attacks for years.

deep breathing is what you need to do to get your heart rate back down and put you back in control.

breath in deep and slow.......let out.......do this until your heart rate comes down.
Life is just to short for drama.
theia

Post by theia »

weeder;1302314 wrote: I dont know anyone on the forum anymore.........:( Well, almost no one.

Weeder, you used to be our resident comedienne, your writing was hilarious. I remember you having my kids in stitches when you were here.

Any chance of some more? Go on...please?
weeder

Post by weeder »

Maybe we can get rolling again............. I dont know. My older son is engaged to a stand up commedienne..
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I never have panic attacks...I just freak out on whoever is around:wah:
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

theia;1301732 wrote: I haven't had one for a couple of months and, surprisingly, I'd forgotten how awful they are. This evening's attack brought it all back. The fear that overwhelms is so intense that any coping strategies that you thought you had just fly out of the window. It takes you over and you just want to run away from it, yourself...and how possible is that, for goodness sake :rolleyes:

Now that I'm a little removed from the fear, I'm thinking that there must be something positive underlying this panic...an opportunity, a doorway or a blessing...I wonder i haven't more months. but with help of a great theripst, and meds. they have stopped. Thank God. mine where caused from PTS.
theia

Post by theia »

southern yankee;1302562 wrote: i haven't more months. but with help of a great theripst, and meds. they have stopped. Thank God. mine where caused from PTS.

Did you have CBT, Southern? Are you still on medication?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

weeder;1302314 wrote: I dont know anyone on the forum anymore.........:( Well, almost no one.

OI!!!!! you know me, don't be so shy!!!!
cristy999

Post by cristy999 »

it very badly it is necessary to overcome itself :-5
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

yes theia they are just awful. I've been dealing with them for the past 16 years. at first i noticed that caffeine was a big source so i cut that out. it did help them become less intense. I've learned to breathe thru them and focus on something else. Since my hubby died in march '09 i now get palpations when an attack is coming. one time they were so bad and lasted so long i had to go to the ER. now the second i feel a palpation or start getting anxious i take 100-150mgs of Hydroxyzine and it really helps, as long as i don't wait til the attack gets full blown...then it's another trip to the hospital. i hope this helps. :-6
theia

Post by theia »

shelbell;1302750 wrote: yes theia they are just awful. I've been dealing with them for the past 16 years. at first i noticed that caffeine was a big source so i cut that out. it did help them become less intense. I've learned to breathe thru them and focus on something else. Since my hubby died in march '09 i now get palpations when an attack is coming. one time they were so bad and lasted so long i had to go to the ER. now the second i feel a palpation or start getting anxious i take 100-150mgs of Hydroxyzine and it really helps, as long as i don't wait til the attack gets full blown...then it's another trip to the hospital. i hope this helps. :-6

Thanks for replying, shelbell...I'm so sorry about your husband, I didn't know.

Yes, they are awful. My GP prescribed medication to help with general anxiety but I've recently started to reduce it by half because I gained a lot of weight and, although it helps, it may well have been contributing to dampening all my feelings. I'm glad you've found something that helps you...I may try breathing through the attacks, though usually I just want to run away from the anxiety!!

:-6
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

theia;1302768 wrote: Thanks for replying, shelbell...I'm so sorry about your husband, I didn't know.

Yes, they are awful. My GP prescribed medication to help with general anxiety but I've recently started to reduce it by half because I gained a lot of weight and, although it helps, it may well have been contributing to dampening all my feelings. I'm glad you've found something that helps you...I may try breathing through the attacks, though usually I just want to run away from the anxiety!!

:-6

thanks theia, the heart palpations started after i lost hubby, but i've worn 2 different types of heart monitors and they say nothing is wrong with my heart, just the panic attacks. my medication i take only when i feel an attack coming on, but if it's mild or i catch it in time, i close my eyes and focus only on deep breathing. i know you want to run away from it...i'm like that whenever it happens out in public...i want to run out of there as fast as i can. it takes awhile to learn to control them with breathing, but the sooner you catch the attack, the easier it is to breathe thru it. remember....deeps breaths and focus totally on the breathing. :-6
theia

Post by theia »

shelbell;1302772 wrote: thanks theia, the heart palpations started after i lost hubby, but i've worn 2 different types of heart monitors and they say nothing is wrong with my heart, just the panic attacks. my medication i take only when i feel an attack coming on, but if it's mild or i catch it in time, i close my eyes and focus only on deep breathing. i know you want to run away from it...i'm like that whenever it happens out in public...i want to run out of there as fast as i can. it takes awhile to learn to control them with breathing, but the sooner you catch the attack, the easier it is to breathe thru it. remember....deeps breaths and focus totally on the breathing. :-6

Thank you, shelbell, I shall definitely try the breathing next time I get the panic. I've been reading a lot about the flight or fight syndrome, where our bodies prepare to either run or to face the outer threat, which would have a wild animal or an enemy aeons ago. The symptoms we get are the same as we would get in that situation but there is no outer threat to flee or fight. I wonder what we are scared of, or is it that we over produce adrenalin perhaps?

Thanks again, shel :-4
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I instill panic attacks in others. Its kind of my calling card.
I AM AWESOME MAN
theia

Post by theia »

Nomad;1302815 wrote: I instill panic attacks in others. Its kind of my calling card.

Nomad, can you exstill them in others, for a small fee?
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Nomad;1302815 wrote: I instill panic attacks in others. Its kind of my calling card.

nomie, you ARE a panic attack!:D:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

theia;1302780 wrote: Thank you, shelbell, I shall definitely try the breathing next time I get the panic. I've been reading a lot about the flight or fight syndrome, where our bodies prepare to either run or to face the outer threat, which would have a wild animal or an enemy aeons ago. The symptoms we get are the same as we would get in that situation but there is no outer threat to flee or fight. I wonder what we are scared of, or is it that we over produce adrenalin perhaps?

Thanks again, shel :-4

from what i've read and talked to psychiatrists about it is that it's a chemical imbalance in our brains. I've had them doing the most mundane tasks, or they can come up from a stressful situation but it doesn't always have a cause...i've actually woke up in the middle of a full blown attack. you're right about the fight or flight...but sometimes it feels like you're dying and need to go to the ER. it's very nerve racking. I just hope the breathing helps you as much as it did me, and if it doesn't, aske your doctor about getting some kind of med you can use "as needed" so you don't have to worry so much about weight gain. :)
Amity

Post by Amity »

I suffer from panic attacks.

Mine are mainly brought on when i feel stressed or upset.

It is a very scary thing to deal with as at the time...it feels like something is seriously wrong and you panic more.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I am a little agoraphobic, do not like big crowds. Something different in a routine that sends me into them is a little nerve wracking. They shut down the Metro stop yesterday as I left the Archives for a suspicious package, and had to go blocks I have never walked to get to the next station. Lugging a rolling suitcase of laptop/scanners and stuff made me feel very strange transversing an unknown area, I kept thinking what if they shut the next station and I had to get to Union Station before the train left? I think I fret too much when away from home, and hubby left there. I worried if someone bothered me, I'd have to beat them up with TKD, they would haul me to the police station, and I'd be in big trouble. Or I just worry to much, and do not know why.
Amity

Post by Amity »

chonsigirl;1325734 wrote: I am a little agoraphobic, do not like big crowds. Something different in a routine that sends me into them is a little nerve wracking. They shut down the Metro stop yesterday as I left the Archives for a suspicious package, and had to go blocks I have never walked to get to the next station. Lugging a rolling suitcase of laptop/scanners and stuff made me feel very strange transversing an unknown area, I kept thinking what if they shut the next station and I had to get to Union Station before the train left? I think I fret too much when away from home, and hubby left there. I worried if someone bothered me, I'd have to beat them up with TKD, they would haul me to the police station, and I'd be in big trouble. Or I just worry to much, and do not know why.

I tend to get like this the further away from home i am.

Like a panic of being able to get back?
theia

Post by theia »

Amity;1325736 wrote: I tend to get like this the further away from home i am.

No More Panic is an excellent site for information and discussion :-6
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, I worry about getting back home. I think it is partial: worry for leaving my husband (an invalid) home when I have to, and the distance (an hour away), and guilt that should not be there that I would go away to do things on mine own and not stay ay home and be a nurse all summer long. It is the dichotomy of my life-I must have some research to putter with all year long, and only have one chance in the summer. But then, even when I do activities at night, gone for an hour, I still feel guilty I do them and worry while gone. (he got really sick once when I was gone) But I know I must go out and do things, it is not right to stay at home all the time. It is going on 6 years, a long time. And I have to be so quiet at night, I must have something to putter with.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Amity;1325736 wrote: I tend to get like this the further away from home i am.

I'm the same......the further away, the worse it is.
Life is just to short for drama.
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

I'm an expert in panic attacks and have had so many I couldn't count. Breathing is important and remember that the panic can't harm you even if it feels awful. What I found good was I used to write little calm me down messages into my mobile phone and save them as messages and then when I felt the panic coming on I would take out the phone and read these and it would make me concentrate on something else and plus it helps you to stop feeling as if everyone is looking at you.

Return to “Mental Health”