Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Lon »

We all seem to crave from time to time, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Greek & Thai cooking or restaurants. Thats not to say that anything is wrong with German, Swedish etc. , just that the foregoing seem to be the most popular. When was the last time you heard someone say "Hey---let's go out to a good English Restaurant", or American? The only thing we Americans are noted for in the food arena is KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and I don't think that the English Steak & Kidney Pie has widespread appeal. Right now as I am typing this, I am thinking that I would like some bratwurst & sauerkraut, but know that it's not likely that I will find either in the local market. Damn----you can't even find dill or sour pickles here in NZ-----just sweet ones.
Snowfire

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Snowfire »

You mean to tell me there is no world-wide attraction to peace pudding and faggots, or hominy grits ?

I love food from all over the world and I'll give anything a try. The one thing I would maybe step back from is balut (?) Those rancid eggs they serve on the streets of Vietnam.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
along-for-the-ride

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Native American cousine:

NativeTech: Indigenous Food and Traditional Recipes

;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bill Sikes

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Bill Sikes »

Snowfire;1299000 wrote: I would maybe step back from (...) balut (?) Those rancid eggs they serve on the streets of Vietnam.

These are found all over the Far East. They are not rancid. However, I agree with you. Strangely enough, many if not most Natives agree with you, too. They're largely Tourist food.
Bill Sikes

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Bill Sikes »

along-for-the-ride;1299003 wrote: Native American cousine

I like that. "Native American" cuisine has a Gumbyesque simplicity to it, from what I've read of those recipes.
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

Lon;1298994 wrote: We all seem to crave from time to time, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Greek & Thai cooking or restaurants. Thats not to say that anything is wrong with German, Swedish etc. , just that the foregoing seem to be the most popular. When was the last time you heard someone say "Hey---let's go out to a good English Restaurant", or American? The only thing we Americans are noted for in the food arena is KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and I don't think that the English Steak & Kidney Pie has widespread appeal. Right now as I am typing this, I am thinking that I would like some bratwurst & sauerkraut, but know that it's not likely that I will find either in the local market. Damn----you can't even find dill or sour pickles here in NZ-----just sweet ones.

When I studied in Culinary school, I first discovered that most "classic Cuisine" was French in origin.

I had traveled a lot and loved a lot of the regional specialties I found. We began introducing American Regional dishes as specials in the hotel, and they were a hit.

Nowdays there is no end to the regional cuisines you can find.

There are plenty of "American Cuisine" places available.

Most American cuisine is a combination of locally available food sources and the styles of the ethnic groups that settled a particular area.

Cajun, for instance, is a mix of the creative minds of the French colonists, who settled in Louisiana - after they were expelled Adadia, a region of what are now called the Maritime Provinces of Canada- and the Spanish Creole and German settlers who were also in the region, with the available food sources, and spices.

Also the Southwestern US has its' own style, a mix of Spanish, and indigenous culture. Then, there is the New England, and Appalachian. And Barbeque!!! A culture all its own.

Philadelphia Cheese steak Sandwich

Maryland Crab Cakes

Virginia Ham

New England Clam Chowdah

Maine Lobster

Brunswick Stew

How can you say there is no American Cuisine?

I can't speak much for the English (The best restaurant I remember in England was an Indian place in Basingstoke.)

So let's hear it for American Cuisine!!!
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Lon »

LarsMac;1299030 wrote: When I studied in Culinary school, I first discovered that most "classic Cuisine" was French in origin.

I had traveled a lot and loved a lot of the regional specialties I found. We began introducing American Regional dishes as specials in the hotel, and they were a hit.

Nowdays there is no end to the regional cuisines you can find.

There are plenty of "American Cuisine" places available.

Most American cuisine is a combination of locally available food sources and the styles of the ethnic groups that settled a particular area.

Cajun, for instance, is a mix of the creative minds of the French colonists, who settled in Louisiana - after they were expelled Adadia, a region of what are now called the Maritime Provinces of Canada- and the Spanish Creole and German settlers who were also in the region, with the available food sources, and spices.

Also the Southwestern US has its' own style, a mix of Spanish, and indigenous culture. Then, there is the New England, and Appalachian. And Barbeque!!! A culture all its own.

Philadelphia Cheese steak Sandwich

Maryland Crab Cakes

Virginia Ham

New England Clam Chowdah

Maine Lobster

Brunswick Stew

How can you say there is no American Cuisine?

I can't speak much for the English (The best restaurant I remember in England was an Indian place in Basingstoke.)

So let's hear it for American Cuisine!!!

That's my point-------American Cuisine is regional, whereas Chinese Food (Cantonese/Schezwan) is International. Try finding Cajun anywhere in NZ or Australia. Try finding New England Clam Chowder in Mexico City.
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

Lon;1299047 wrote: That's my point-------American Cuisine is regional, whereas Chinese Food (Cantonese/Schezwan) is International. Try finding Cajun anywhere in NZ or Australia. Try finding New England Clam Chowder in Mexico City.

WHAT!!!???

No Cajun in NZ or Oz?

Well, then. There are territories to conquer.

Let's get cracking!!

That reminds me of my first trip to Belgium. Actually my first trip to anywhere in Europe.

I was in Brussels for a couple of months.

Decided to try a Chinese restaurant near the Grossmarkt

The Menu was in French and Dutch.

French I could read, somewhat. The dishes were listed basically by their content in the French manner.

I was struggling a little because I was used to the American menus (You know, Cantonese Chicken, Szechuan Shrimp, Hunan Beef, etc.)

So the waiter saw my struggling, and offered a menu in English, which I readily accepted.

Only to find that it was a word-for-word translation of the French Menu.

I had to go through the list of ingredients and try to match them up to my favorite style dishes, and figure out what to order from that.

I also went to a Mexican place there, and found that it was remarkably different that any Mexican I was used to in the States.

The owner was from the Michuacan region of Mexico. Most of my experiences with Mexican food were from Texas, California, Sonora and Chihuahua.

Quite an eye-opener.
- DH Lawrence
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

LarsMac;1299056 wrote: WHAT!!!???

No Cajun in NZ or Oz?

Well, then. There are territories to conquer.

Let's get cracking!!

That reminds me of my first trip to Belgium. Actually my first trip to anywhere in Europe.

I was in Brussels for a couple of months.

Decided to try a Chinese restaurant near the Grossmarkt

The Menu was in French and Dutch.

French I could read, somewhat. The dishes were listed basically by their content in the French manner.

I was struggling a little because I was used to the American menus (You know, Cantonese Chicken, Szechuan Shrimp, Hunan Beef, etc.)

So the waiter saw my struggling, and offered a menu in English, which I readily accepted.

Only to find that it was a word-for-word translation of the French Menu.

I had to go through the list of ingredients and try to match them up to my favorite style dishes, and figure out what to order from that.

I also went to a Mexican place there, and found that it was remarkably different that any Mexican I was used to in the States.

The owner was from the Michuacan region of Mexico. Most of my experiences with Mexican food were from Texas, California, Sonora and Chihuahua.

Quite an eye-opener.

Really?!! There's a New Orleans restaurant within walking distance of where I live in Sydney. Fresh okra is routinely sold, in season, in the fruit markets etc.

I've noticed too that Chinese dishes are different in America and in Australia. But then so is the McDonalds menu. Adjusted for the local tastes. If you want the most genuine article (outside China), including regional dishes, you probably need to go to where the Chinese community go, preferably with members of that community, and into the back room of the restaurant. The 'menu' won't have an English translation either.

On that - well sort of - I was in the States during the last but one winter olympics in Torino Italy (well I was actually in the States for this winter olympics too but that's irrelevant to this). Anyway, it was reported on American television that American athletes wouldn't eat the local pizza, but had American style pizza flown in. I thought that was totally hilarious.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

AussiePam;1299070 wrote: Really?!! There's a New Orleans restaurant within walking distance of where I live in Sydney. Fresh okra is routinely sold, in season, in the fruit markets etc.

I've noticed too that Chinese dishes are different in America and in Australia. But then so is the McDonalds menu. Adjusted for the local tastes. If you want the most genuine article (outside China), including regional dishes, you probably need to go to where the Chinese community go, preferably with members of that community, and into the back room of the restaurant. The 'menu' won't have an English translation either.

On that - well sort of - I was in the States during the last but one winter olympics in Torino Italy (well I was actually in the States for this winter olympics too but that's irrelevant to this). Anyway, it was reported on American television that American athletes wouldn't eat the local pizza, but had American style pizza flown in. I thought that was totally hilarious.

Oh yeah, the pizza in Italy is very different than what you find in the states. That is not ALL bad.

We had pizza in Milano, once. It was actually pretty darn good.

But nothing like Domino's or Pizza Hut. (not necessarily a bad thing in my book.)

The worst pizza I ever had was in Paris.

Don't do pizza in Paris. Trust me.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

Here ya go, Lon:

Bayou

May not be as good as Pat's Wharf in Henderson, LA, but it's a bit closer for ya.
- DH Lawrence
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

LarsMac;1299101 wrote: Oh yeah, the pizza in Italy is very different than what you find in the states. That is not ALL bad.

We had pizza in Milano, once. It was actually pretty darn good.

But nothing like Domino's or Pizza Hut. (not necessarily a bad thing in my book.)

The worst pizza I ever had was in Paris.

Don't do pizza in Paris. Trust me.

:thinking:

No..

I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat pizza in Paris!!

qsducks

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by qsducks »

Lon;1298994 wrote: We all seem to crave from time to time, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Greek & Thai cooking or restaurants. Thats not to say that anything is wrong with German, Swedish etc. , just that the foregoing seem to be the most popular. When was the last time you heard someone say "Hey---let's go out to a good English Restaurant", or American? The only thing we Americans are noted for in the food arena is KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and I don't think that the English Steak & Kidney Pie has widespread appeal. Right now as I am typing this, I am thinking that I would like some bratwurst & sauerkraut, but know that it's not likely that I will find either in the local market. Damn----you can't even find dill or sour pickles here in NZ-----just sweet ones.

Lon, anytime you are on the East coast near Philadelphia, please stop by the Giant, grab some Jewish pickles & meet me at the Clam Tavern in Clifton Heights, PA...free parking down the street:)
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

AussiePam;1299112 wrote: :thinking:

No..

Nor can I, especially after having done so.

It was on a level with several of the meals we had there, actually.

I learned that stuff in Paris, with the same name as stuff in Louisiana, was not the same stuff.

But the pizza was a different story, altogether.
- DH Lawrence
southern yankee

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by southern yankee »

Lon;1298994 wrote: We all seem to crave from time to time, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Greek & Thai cooking or restaurants. Thats not to say that anything is wrong with German, Swedish etc. , just that the foregoing seem to be the most popular. When was the last time you heard someone say "Hey---let's go out to a good English Restaurant", or American? The only thing we Americans are noted for in the food arena is KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and I don't think that the English Steak & Kidney Pie has widespread appeal. Right now as I am typing this, I am thinking that I would like some bratwurst & sauerkraut, but know that it's not likely that I will find either in the local market. Damn----you can't even find dill or sour pickles here in NZ-----just sweet ones.Had Sauerkrat, just the other day. with smoked sausage. YUM!!
K.Snyder

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by K.Snyder »

I don't give a damn what anybody says Chinese food is the best cuisine I've ever eaten!...
qsducks

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by qsducks »

K.Snyder;1299124 wrote: I don't give a damn what anybody says Chinese food is the best cuisine I've ever eaten!...

Go to Ireland over the summer & try their steaks w/garlic sauce & also the mussels...I'm still trying to get that garlic sauce recipe down, almost there...oh btw, bbq next wknd:)
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

A BBQ incinerated snag in bread, with matching onions, and tomato ketchup! FANTASTIC. We did a family barbie last Saturday.

----

Because Sydney is full of Asians, there are lots of choices of food from everywhere from Nepal, through India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, to Japan and regional China. I enjoy all of it.

If I could have only one cuisine style though, I'd probably go Italian (may my French heritage forgive me!). I mean real Italian, not fast food pizza. Fresh melon and prosciutto. Veal simmered in marsala. Home made canneloni stuffed with silverbeet and ricotta. Spag bol. Barbecued baby octopus. Frittata. Salads. Grilled sardines. Figs. Gnocchi with gorgonzola. Great bread. Awesome coffee. Campari soda. Good wine. etc etc Has it all !!!

K.Snyder

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by K.Snyder »

I do have an overwhelming interest to try more Thai food after having tasted a sample of it...

:yh_drools!

:yh_kisses! <-----For The Ladies!!!!!!

:wah:
Bez

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Bez »

My favourite is anything 'mediterranean' especially Italian and Mexican as well

My least favourite is Chinese / Thai

I don't mind Indian occasionally

Anything with Squid or shellfish....forget it although I'm partial to prawns if they are shelled.

Having said all the above, you can't beat a good old English Roast Beef dinner, Cottage Pie or Sausage, mash & fried onions !!!

I'll look into the Cajun...looks interesting.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
hoppy

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by hoppy »

Lots of Mexicans in my town. Like their food. Like their girls. Like their beer.

Lots of Asians. Like their girls.

Quite a few Italians. Like their food. Like their girls.:-6
minks

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by minks »

AussiePam;1299112 wrote: :thinking:

No..

Oiy Pammy we had a horrible pizza in of all places Pisa Italy.... it had canned mushrooms, bottled artichoke hearts, canned olives and slices of..... wait for it this is bad, really bad, slices of ..............hot dogs on it. They cleverly called the "meat" wertzil. It was the worst thing I have ever ate.:-5

Here is a few lovely items on the Canadian Cuisine Scene from days gone by:

Roast polar bear, boiled reindeer, moose meat soup, sweet pickled beaver, squirrel fricassee, fried woodchuck. Stuffed whale breast, steamed muskrat legs, boiled porcupine, boiled caribou hoofs. Baked skunk, dried buffalo meat, baked salmon, roast or boiled corn, and acorn bread.

Here is a bit more modern updated version of Canadiana Culinary Delights:

Atlantic lobster, Belon oysters and Bras d'or from Nova Scotia, Matane shrimps, Brome Lake Duckling, fresh of smoked Gaspe salmon, corn fed pork, Lake Erie sturgeon caviar, Arctic char, Winnipeg gold eye, wild rice, fiddleheads, cod tongues, Alberta beef, domesticated buffalo, farm-raised pheasants, quails, reindeer, "cultured mussels," salmon caviar and Pacific oysters.

There is a great list of goodies on the attached website where I extracted these tidbits from.

Canadian Foods - Food Reference
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Tan

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Tan »

Lon;1298994 wrote: Damn----you can't even find dill or sour pickles here in NZ-----just sweet ones.

Thats not cool at all!
Tan
Tan

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Tan »

Q: What do you call Chinese Food in China?

A:Food.

Hehehe
Tan
YZGI

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by YZGI »

Tan;1299215 wrote: Q: What do you call Chinese Food in China?

A:Food.

Hehehe
I call it crap, can't stand Chinese food.

I do love my Mexican food though.
Snowfire

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Snowfire »

The Chinese are renowned for eating anything. Anything with legs. There's only one thing with four legs that they dont eat and thats a table

Winston Churchill
Lon

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Lon »

It's a little known fact that French Cooking had it's origin in Italy.
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

Lon;1299253 wrote: It's a little known fact that French Cooking had it's origin in Italy.

True enough. Italian Catherine de Medici married Henri II in the mid sixteenth century, and "civilised" France... :sneaky:

How awful, Minks. I have noticed that in Italian cities, many places do serve American style "Italian" food, or what they think is American style Italian food - as this is what tourists apparently want. A proliferation of fast food restaurants have now opened beneath the Louvre in Paris, for the same reason.

Chinese food is an awfully large mix, to call crap. I'm not that keen on the stewed, over sweet sauced meaty mixes you get in western shopping malls with greasy fried rice - but I've had some wonderful taste experiences. Yum cha, almond moon cake, duck pancakes, suckling pig ribs, red bean pastry, lychees.. to name just a few. Awesome.

Thai food seems to be still very fashionable, all over the world, though it looks like Spanish tapas bars are moving in too. And Japanese noodle bars.

Gosh.. I haven't had brekkie yet... I'm starving.

On English food - which is considered ethnic here - I love roast beef and yorkshire pud, steak and kidney pie, English breakfast sausages, stilton cheese, red leicester cheese, scones with clotted cream, Cornish pasties, ploughmans lunches, spring greens, and bubble and squeak.. :D

Snowfire

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Snowfire »

AussiePam;1299265 wrote:

On English food - which is considered ethnic here - I love roast beef and yorkshire pud, steak and kidney pie, English breakfast sausages, stilton cheese, red leicester cheese, scones with clotted cream, Cornish pasties, ploughmans lunches, spring greens, and bubble and squeak.. :D

I never thought you Aussies thought of us as quaint ethnics :yh_rotfl

We make some of the best cheeses in the world, probably rivaling France

Jellied eel anyone ? ;)

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1299270 wrote: I never thought you Aussies thought of us as quaint ethnics :yh_rotfl

Jellied eel anyone ? ;)

Been there, done that.

No, thank you.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

One item I have always seen as ethnic English (or British, I guess) is Fish and chips.

Americans restaurants have gone completely daft with the idea, of late.

We now have it done with Tilapia, or even Salmon or grouper.

A variation here in the south, is catfish, or up north, walleye. Not bad, but not like in the UK.

I prefer haddock or cod. Pollaock can be OK, as well.

First time I went to the UK, I found a fish and chips place in the high street, went in to order, and the guy informed me they were out of fish, and would I like Chicken and chips?

Devastated. Like going to the pub to find them out of beer.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Snowfire »

LarsMac;1299301 wrote: One item I have always seen as ethnic English (or British, I guess) is Fish and chips.

Americans restaurants have gone completely daft with the idea, of late.

We now have it done with Tilapia, or even Salmon or grouper.

A variation here in the south, is catfish, or up north, walleye. Not bad, but not like in the UK.

I prefer haddock or cod. Pollaock can be OK, as well.

First time I went to the UK, I found a fish and chips place in the high street, went in to order, and the guy informed me they were out of fish, and would I like Chicken and chips?

Devastated. Like going to the pub to find them out of beer.

My god what an outrage :wah:

Cod, haddock and plaice are the most popular and yes it would be regarded as British rather than English. You can get great fish and chips in Ireland too

Winston Churchill
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

Snowfire;1299270 wrote: I never thought you Aussies thought of us as quaint ethnics :yh_rotfl

We make some of the best cheeses in the world, probably rivaling France

Jellied eel anyone ? ;)

Interesting thought. But I suppose that "ethnic" is how I think of English food here in Australia. What exactly does "ethnic" mean anyway??? Foreign? I'd view American restaurants (excluding fast food outlets) as ethnic too. The New Orleans restaurant I first mentioned is "ethnic" in my opinion. Any restaurant specialising in the cuisine of any country (other than Australia), within Australia is, to me, "ethnic". It's not a perjorative term. At least I don't intend it as that. Does anyone think "ethnic" equates to "foreignly nasty, possibly dirty, the food of lesser humans, YUCK"????

As for English people being "quaint ethnics". First, I never used or implied "quaint". But foreign, ethnic - in Australia, yes indeed! Like Russians, Chinese, Americans, Greeks, Middle Easterners, South Africans, Papuans, Indians, Somalians, Japanese, Germans, Spaniards etc etc. If you need a passport to come here, and a visa or more to live here, you are foreign/ethnic. If you are fortunate enough to be awarded Australian citizenship, you are a fair dinkum true blue Aussie (of ethnic background).

K.Snyder

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by K.Snyder »

Has anyone seen the show "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern"?

I like that show and it's funny because he makes some of those foods sound tasty even if it is a piece of black tar he's mistakenly picked up in the attempt to prove it were edible!!!!

:yh_rotfl :yh_wink
LarsMac

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1299396 wrote: Has anyone seen the show "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern"?

I like that show and it's funny because he makes some of those foods sound tasty even if it is a piece of black tar he's mistakenly picked up in the attempt to prove it were edible!!!!

:yh_rotfl :yh_wink

I've watched that a few times. I think some of those people get together when they know he's coming, and dream up stuff to see if he'll eat it.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by flopstock »

southern yankee;1299120 wrote: Had Sauerkrat, just the other day. with smoked sausage. YUM!!

And virtually no carbs! I love eatting it and the little one won't touch it!:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snowfire

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Snowfire »

AussiePam;1299371 wrote: Interesting thought. But I suppose that "ethnic" is how I think of English food here in Australia. What exactly does "ethnic" mean anyway??? Foreign? I'd view American restaurants (excluding fast food outlets) as ethnic too. The New Orleans restaurant I first mentioned is "ethnic" in my opinion. Any restaurant specialising in the cuisine of any country (other than Australia), within Australia is, to me, "ethnic". It's not a perjorative term. At least I don't intend it as that. Does anyone think "ethnic" equates to "foreignly nasty, possibly dirty, the food of lesser humans, YUCK"????

As for English people being "quaint ethnics". First, I never used or implied "quaint". But foreign, ethnic - in Australia, yes indeed! Like Russians, Chinese, Americans, Greeks, Middle Easterners, South Africans, Papuans, Indians, Somalians, Japanese, Germans, Spaniards etc etc. If you need a passport to come here, and a visa or more to live here, you are foreign/ethnic. If you are fortunate enough to be awarded Australian citizenship, you are a fair dinkum true blue Aussie (of ethnic background).

AP, I was just kidding. I wasnt using the phrase "quaint ethnic" pejoratively. My point really revolved whether we regard ourselves as so culturally different which I didnt really think we were. Much closer culturally, than different I would say - except when it comes to sport :rolleyes:

" Foreignly nasty, possibly dirty, the food of lesser humans" was a million miles from my intention. That aint me at all.

Winston Churchill
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

Snowfire;1299467 wrote: AP, I was just kidding. I wasnt using the phrase "quaint ethnic" pejoratively. My point really revolved whether we regard ourselves as so culturally different which I didnt really think we were. Much closer culturally, than different I would say - except when it comes to sport :rolleyes:

" Foreignly nasty, possibly dirty, the food of lesser humans" was a million miles from my intention. That aint me at all.

Grin. Of course we have some cultural things in common. There are still quite a lot of Australians who are of pale of complexion, racially European, sort of Christian and who mainly speak English - as I am sure there are in England. Our Parliamentary and legal systems were related. Some folk in both countries understand the beauties of cricket. But Britain has changed over the years since Irish and Cockney convicts were dumped Down Under. And Australia is now a multiracial, Asian country where deeply golden skin is the norm, English is not the first language of many, burqas or saris or bikinis have replaced pearls and twinset - and some of us just don't get cricket. :sneaky:

Snowfire

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Snowfire »

AussiePam;1299518 wrote: Grin. Of course we have some cultural things in common. There are still quite a lot of Australians who are of pale of complexion, racially European, sort of Christian and who mainly speak English - as I am sure there are in England. Our Parliamentary and legal systems were related. Some folk in both countries understand the beauties of cricket. But Britain has changed over the years since Irish and Cockney convicts were dumped Down Under. And Australia is now a multiracial, Asian country where deeply golden skin is the norm, English is not the first language of many, burqas or saris or bikinis have replaced pearls and twinset - and some of us just don't get cricket. :sneaky:

We in the UK may well be the most multi-racial, multi-cultural country in the world. I doubt if there is a nation that isnt represented or has had a huge influence on us.

As for an Australian declaring that they do not understand the beauty and fineries of cricket, well the world just turned upside its head and we may just be further apart than I thought :wah:

Winston Churchill
Odie

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Odie »

nothing beats good Italian cuisine!

mamma mia!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by Lon »

Snowfire;1299563 wrote: We in the UK may well be the most multi-racial, multi-cultural country in the world. I doubt if there is a nation that isnt represented or has had a huge influence on us.

:

California alone, with it's near 40 million people probably has more ethnic and religious diversity than the UK. Caucasians represent less than half of that 40 million.

A major hospital in Sacramento, California has a sign at their admissions desk that 22 languages are spoken there.
AussiePam

Thoughts on Ethnic Foods

Post by AussiePam »

Like Lon says. And Sydney is like unto that. So the little tiny bit of Britishness we Aussies might once have had shared with the modern English has been diluted out of recognition. What Aussies share with Americans is of course even more diluted - we are all homo sapiens - though it could be argued that some of us are not very sapiens, and others are not all that homo.

:sneaky:

Return to “General Chit Chat”