Systemizing Quotient

Post your factoids here. Things you find interesting. Items that we may not know about.
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

This goes hand-in-hand with the empathy quotient. Research is leading us to understand that some are strongly empathetic (more females) and some are strongly systemizing (more males). Most of this research is being done at Cambridge University in the UK.

It wasn't long ago I strongly opined that we men created things because we were unconsciously jealous of the ability of females to give life. That idea was fed to me through reading certain psychological and philosophical material. Lately I've been finding that both psychology and philosophy do a lot of intersecting with evolution; but not all. (And perhaps not in this particular case.)

It seems through the process of natural selection male and female of our species have developed differences in the brain in order to assist each other in our survival. Females to empathize and males to systemize. Males as hunters, females as gatherers.

Questions about what I've just written will undoubtedly arise and I'll do my best to answer any serious and legitimate ones posted. I'm no expert, but I'll give it my best.

So check to see how strongly you are seen as a systemizer.

Systemizing Quotient

My score was 55.

EDIT: It should not be assumed that if males find themselves as strongly empathetic and less so systemizers, that there is something wrong with them, and the same is true for females whom find they are strong systemizers and score lower than average females in empathizing.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hmm, 31 yesterday, 57 today - do you think it's trying to tell me something :)
Amythest

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Amythest »

Does this explain why i walked around the supermarket with my fly down?:thinking:
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1295318 wrote: Hmm, 31 yesterday, 57 today - do you think it's trying to tell me something :)you're pretty much a typical male.:)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

Amythest;1295325 wrote: 36.

Does this explain why i walked around the supermarket with my fly down?:thinking::wah:

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Amythest

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Amythest »

Ahso!;1295338 wrote: :wah:

Geez! People use that emoticon and it's a WAH! Do they want to cry or laugh!?

If yer crying i was too when i got home. Cryin with laughter! Good thing my pants were a bit baggy!:yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Systemizing Quotient

Post by chonsigirl »

I got a 62........

51 - 80 is very high (three times as many people with Asperger Syndrome score in this range, compared to typical men, and almost no women score in this range)

80 is maximum

Phooey on them, I scored in that range.
Rapunzel

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Rapunzel »

chonsigirl;1295361 wrote: I got a 62........

Phooey on them, I scored in that range.

I found the questions very sexist. And stereotypical. And arrogant.

Just my opinion.
chonsigirl

Systemizing Quotient

Post by chonsigirl »

I agree, Rap.

Notice how they said the average woman's score was 24?
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

chonsigirl;1295361 wrote: I got a 62........

Phooey on them, I scored in that range.That doesn't mean you fall into the category of whats called Aspergers, thats just where you scored in comparison to the the control group. And even if yo did, that may only mean you have the ability to focus and concentrate intensely in certain area's. Could be music, science, math, people or any number of other subjects. Many of these people were what we at one time labeled as 'gifted'. Also people who score high in this are normally very dedicated to what they put their mind to and extremely loyal as well. Take heart, Chonsi. Its all good.

Have you tried the empathy quotient? http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/did-y ... tient.html

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

Rapunzel;1295365 wrote: 63.

I found the questions very sexist. And stereotypical. And arrogant.

Just my opinion.Sexist, stereotypical and arrogant? Which questions? Stereo or car buying? If you like machines (many females do, you know)?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Systemizing Quotient

Post by LarsMac »

Interesting how folks correlate a high score with success.

I got a 37.

I would expect the average person to get a fairly low score, given the question.

The high scorer would be a more likely male, with a fascination for technical details and statistics.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1295382 wrote: Interesting how folks correlate a high score with success.

I got a 37.

I would expect the average person to get a fairly low score, given the question.

The high scorer would be a more likely male, with a fascination for technical details and statistics.Kind of what we might call geeky males. Considering where you scored in the empathy quotient, I suspected you would fall somewhere under 50 but not very low. You maintain an even consistency, and that does come through in your posting.

One thing to remember here is that this is evolutionary scientific research.

Increasingly over the past 30 years or so, theres been a fairly dramatic increase in higher scores in females, and one thing that it may relate to is the fact that somewhere down the not too distant bloodline (parents or grandparents perhaps) someone either was an engineer by profession or at least IQed in the range of engineers. Its very interesting.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Systemizing Quotient

Post by Ahso! »

chonsigirl;1295366 wrote: I agree, Rap.

Notice how they said the average woman's score was 24?So you're not average. Whats so bad about that?:)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
chonsigirl

Systemizing Quotient

Post by chonsigirl »

Ahso!;1295380 wrote: That doesn't mean you fall into the category of whats called Aspergers, thats just where you scored in comparison to the the control group. And even if yo did, that may only mean you have the ability to focus and concentrate intensely in certain area's. Could be music, science, math, people or any number of other subjects. Many of these people were what we at one time labeled as 'gifted'. Also people who score high in this are normally very dedicated to what they put their mind to and extremely loyal as well. Take heart, Chonsi. Its all good.

Have you tried the empathy quotient? http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/did-y ... tient.html

I got a 61 for that one.

Return to “Did You Know?”