DOT bars commercial drivers from texting at wheel

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

WASHINGTON – The Transportation Department said Tuesday it is prohibiting truck and bus drivers from sending text messages on hand-held devices while operating commercial vehicles.

The prohibition, which applies to drivers of interstate buses and trucks over 10,000 pounds, is effective immediately, the department said in a statement. Truck and bus drivers who text while driving commercial vehicles may be subject to civil or criminal penalties of up to $2,750, the department said.

Story Link: DOT bars commercial drivers from texting at wheel - Yahoo! News
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Jazzy;1285490 wrote:

Truck and bus drivers who text while driving commercial vehicles may be subject to civil or criminal penalties of up to $2,750, the department said.

This just so makes me p'd off. Just yesterday where I live there two people were killed. Involved in the accident were two milk trucks and one passenger car. The driver of the first milk truck was texting and lost control of his truck and jackknifed blocking the oncoming traffic. The passenger car hit the truck and the second milk truck hit the passenger car. Dead are the driver of the passenger car and the second milk truck driver. The texting *bleep* was not injured. So, he killed two innocent people and gets a penality of up to $2,750 :mad:

minks

Post by minks »

I am all for the ban.

I can honestly say from first hand experience... Professional Truck Drivers are dam good drivers, but texting and driving is something even they can't manage.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Jazzy;1285503 wrote: This just so makes me p'd off. Just yesterday where I live there two people were killed. Involved in the accident were two milk trucks and one passenger car. The driver of the first milk truck was texting and lost control of his truck and jackknifed blocking the oncoming traffic. The passenger car hit the truck and the second milk truck hit the passenger car. Dead are the driver of the passenger car and the second milk truck driver. The texting *bleep* was not injured. So, he killed two innocent people and gets a penality of up to $2,750 :mad:

Something to keep in mind:

If you cause injury or death, while violating the law, you are liable for other violations as well.

Manslaughter, if you cause the death of another person while in the act of violating such laws.

Of course, on the other hand, the driver, by violating laws, becomes responsible for the problem, and the company who employs him is protected from liability.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

About time....
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”