Married Couples Pay More Than Unmarried Under Health Bill

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Some married couples would pay thousands of dollars more for the same health insurance coverage as unmarried people living together, under the health insurance overhaul plan pending in Congress.

The built-in "marriage penalty" in both House and Senate healthcare bills has received scant attention. But for scores of low-income and middle-income couples, it could mean a hike of $2,000 or more in annual insurance premiums the moment they say "I do."

Story Link: married-couples-pay-more-than-unmarried-under-health-bill: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Might pay these married couples to divorce, then live together as an unmarried couple !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

G#Gill;1281236 wrote: Might pay these married couples to divorce, then live together as an unmarried couple !

I agree with you Gill and I bet the divorce rate is going to go sky high. Must make the divorce lawyers drool. :wah:
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Further proof that marriage is not good for the health
ProfessionalMoron

Post by ProfessionalMoron »

Further proof that marriage is not good for the health

mikeinie;1281262 wrote: Further proof that marriage is not good for the health

Continue.....
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Do like my wife and I do now. We both have single policies instead of a family policy. We also have a single policy for our 19 yr old. It all came out $200 cheaper per month than a family policy.
BellaVega

Post by BellaVega »

There are many advantages to being married. And there are many disadvantages. I know I didn't qualify for the first time home buyer credit last year because my wife was a previous home owner even though she is not on the mortgage or the title and I'm paying the mortgage. That was $8,000 or so I won't get because of stupid rules. Three months later they introduced the home buyer credit for people who had bought a house before. We didn't qualify for that because we bought our house 3 months before that credit went into effect. That was a $6500 credit. Instead we get nothing.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

The fact that they want benefits reported on w-2's means they are going to begin taxing us on them at some point soon, IMO.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Jazzy;1281234 wrote: Some married couples would pay thousands of dollars more for the same health insurance coverage as unmarried people living together, under the health insurance overhaul plan pending in Congress.
Makes perfect sense. Want to fix the problem of so many poor children being born out of wedlock? Create a disinsentive to marry. That way the statistics will reflect that the percentage of poor single-parent kids drops.

Woohoo. :-3

Return to “Healthcare”