6.5 Northern Calif. quake leaves jumble of debris

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

EUREKA, Calif. -A powerful offshore earthquake that struck near the Northern California coast left a hodgepodge of debris for communities to sort through Sunday but spared residents any serious injury.

The 6.5 magnitude temblor hit at about 4:27 p.m. PST Saturday and was centered in the Pacific about 22 miles west of Ferndale. It was felt in towns more than 300 miles south into central California and as far north as central Oregon, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Ferndale is about 240 miles north of San Francisco.

Dozens of people suffered minor injuries and thousands lost power.

Story Link: 6.5 Northern Calif. quake leaves jumble of debris

Just wanted to add that if we have any members in this area, I hope they are all safe.
spot

Post by spot »

It keeps happening around Eureka, just offshore there. I suppose the residents should be pleased the underground tensions are released a bit at a time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I live in San Diego a bit south of this quake we have 2 good sized quakes last week. One centered in Calexico and the other in Baja no damages just a lot of rolling and curtain going side to side. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, you must have had the pre-shocks down there, Carla. Maybe some of the pressure is let off the fault line now.
Lon

Post by Lon »

spot;1280889 wrote: It keeps happening around Eureka, just offshore there. I suppose the residents should be pleased the underground tensions are released a bit at a time.

Eureka is right off the infamous San Andreas Fault that runs along the California coast. The 1906 San Fransisco quake lies on the same fault. I am inland north east of Sacramento and we never felt the quake here.

http://geology.com/articles/san-andreas-fault.shtml

Return to “Earth Changes”