help

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
kazalala

help

Post by kazalala »

i am laid up in bed after recently braking my ankle,so my duaghter managed to get me a laptop to use. I thought i could play some games sometimes to pass the time away but i cant play them with this dam touchpad mouse thingy!!

i tried getting my mouse to plug in but it dont have anywhere for it to go, How do you play games with a lap top??? :-5:-5:-5:-5

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Clodhopper

help

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, they make quite good frisbees.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope you are not too uncomfortable. Poor Immy also went over in the snow, but fortunately came away with bruises only. tbh, in many ways a warm bed is the best place from which to view our winter world!

Can't really help with laptops. I thought mostly they did have ports for proper mouses, but you might have to open a panel or something to find it. I'm sure someone who does know about these things will be about soon. Until then you'll just have to haunt these boards. :)

Get better soon.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

help

Post by spot »

The touchpad's a bane for the first few hours but if you stick with it you'll get proficient and then you'll have far less of a fight than if you try using a mouse with no proper support.

Get a tray to rest the laptop on or you'll block the air vents resting it on the duvet and it'll overheat and become unhappy.

Avoid pouring gin over the keyboard.

I assume you've a wireless router? If not you'll be a lot easier with one.

Yahoo Games has several million other people in bed with broken ankles playing against each other. They do a mean line in chess, for example.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raven

help

Post by Raven »

Poor Kaz!! How ya feelin honey?

I know what you mean about the touchpad thingy. I cant get my head around mine either! However, I have been informed you can buy a proper mouse that plugs into the usb port on the side. My laptop is a brand new one, and my first, so I have not figured all its gadgets out yet.

I'm afraid I would be better help with the ankle!:o

Hope you feel better soon! x
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
spot

help

Post by spot »

Here's spot's guide to touchpadding.

Make a fist with your right hand. Stick out your index finger. Put the fist down upright a couple of inches to the right of the touchpad so the side of your little finger's completely touching the laptop. That's your handrest.

Rotate your fist anticlockwise, reaching to the pad with your index finger. You'll notice that the only part of your body which can touch the pad is your index fingertip. That's essential - most people have a problem because they have two bits touching at once, this way it's not possible.

Keep your left index finger on the left button and click or hold down (for highlighting text) whenever you need to without having to move that hand. If you need a right click, stretch to it. At this point, both your fists are resting on the laptop so they don't need to be supported.

You might think I'm being overly silly but believe me, I'm not. It all makes a difference.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

help

Post by G#Gill »

Hey ! I just tried that out, Spot, and it works as well ! But I will still use my mouse! However, I now feel happy that should anything happen to my mouse, I will still be able to cope without too much trouble, with the touch pad. Thank you Spotikins ! :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Betty Boop

help

Post by Betty Boop »

G#Gill;1280634 wrote: Hey ! I just tried that out, Spot, and it works as well ! But I will still use my mouse! However, I now feel happy that should anything happen to my mouse, I will still be able to cope without too much trouble, with the touch pad. Thank you Spotikins ! :yh_rotfl

It really is about practice. I thought I'd never get used to using the touch pad, but I have.
G#Gill

help

Post by G#Gill »

Spot is quite right about resting your laptop on a solid surface, as when the laptop gets a bit too warm, it will shut down ! Then you will loose any stuff that you haven't saved. If you feel under the laptop, you will notice how warm it gets. The fan is OK, but you have to give it a fighting chance. I have even got a couple of 1/2" x 1" strips of wood under the laptop to lift it a little more and allow better circulation of air to keep it a bit cooler. Some people even have a small external domestic fan to blow cool air on the vent ! I suppose it depends on how long you use the laptop for in any given session.

I hope your pain is not quite as bad, and you are able to sleep better, Kaz. :-6

You really surprise me, Kaz, that there isn't at least one USB port available. What make is the laptop?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Raven

help

Post by Raven »

G#Gill;1280634 wrote: Hey ! I just tried that out, Spot, and it works as well ! But I will still use my mouse! However, I now feel happy that should anything happen to my mouse, I will still be able to cope without too much trouble, with the touch pad. Thank you Spotikins ! :yh_rotfl
I just tried it too! That is actually helpful! Thanks Spot!
kazalala

help

Post by kazalala »

Clodhopper;1280627 wrote: Well, they make quite good frisbees.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope you are not too uncomfortable. Poor Immy also went over in the snow, but fortunately came away with bruises only. tbh, in many ways a warm bed is the best place from which to view our winter world!

Can't really help with laptops. I thought mostly they did have ports for proper mouses, but you might have to open a panel or something to find it. I'm sure someone who does know about these things will be about soon. Until then you'll just have to haunt these boards. :)

Get better soon.
Thanks cloddy :) glad to hear Immy got away with bruising

spot;1280629 wrote: The touchpad's a bane for the first few hours but if you stick with it you'll get proficient and then you'll have far less of a fight than if you try using a mouse with no proper support.

Get a tray to rest the laptop on or you'll block the air vents resting it on the duvet and it'll overheat and become unhappy.

Avoid pouring gin over the keyboard.

I assume you've a wireless router? If not you'll be a lot easier with one.

Yahoo Games has several million other people in bed with broken ankles playing against each other. They do a mean line in chess, for example.
thnks spot, yur other advice is helpful too:Dsadly i cant drink with the medication im on now so its more likely to be fruit:D juice spilt over the:D keyboard:-5

Raven;1280631 wrote: Poor Kaz!! How ya feelin honey?

I know what you mean about the touchpad thingy. I cant get my head around mine either! However, I have been informed you can buy a proper mouse that plugs into the usb port on the side. My laptop is a brand new one, and my first, so I have not figured all its gadgets out yet.

I'm afraid I would be better help with the ankle!:o

Hope you feel better soon! x

a little better today thanks Raven, although its till gets tight and pins and needly,, yes im wiggling my toes. They gave me codeine and paracetemol, but they wer'nt doing much good so i rang my docs and he gave me tramadol, tbh dont think they are making much difference either except for making me sweat:wah:can i take paracetemol as well as the Tramadol? had a bit better night last night than the night before though so maybe a few more days might make a difference:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Raven

help

Post by Raven »

kazalala;1280644 wrote: Thanks cloddy :) glad to hear Immy got away with bruising

thnks spot, yur other advice is helpful too:Dsadly i cant drink with the medication im on now so its more likely to be fruit:D juice spilt over the:D keyboard:-5

a little better today thanks Raven, although its till gets tight and pins and needly,, yes im wiggling my toes. They gave me codeine and paracetemol, but they wer'nt doing much good so i rang my docs and he gave me tramadol, tbh dont think they are making much difference either except for making me sweat:wah:can i take paracetemol as well as the Tramadol? had a bit better night last night than the night before though so maybe a few more days might make a difference:D
I would not recommend taking two products that contain paracetamol. Too easy to overdose. I would recommend nurifin plus. Ibuprofen is a non- steroidal anti inflammatory plus codeine. Funny enough it is okay to take that on top of codeine sulfate if that is what you have. Just keep your ankle propped up. That helps with the swelling. Yeah it will go down in a about week. Is your ankle plastered sweety?
kazalala

help

Post by kazalala »

Raven;1280647 wrote: I would not recommend taking two products that contain paracetamol. Too easy to overdose. I would recommend nurifin plus. Ibuprofen is a non- steroidal anti inflammatory plus codeine. Funny enough it is okay to take that on top of codeine sulfate if that is what you have. Just keep your ankle propped up. That helps with the swelling. Yeah it will go down in a about week. Is your ankle plastered sweety?

yes its plastered up to the knee. they thought they might have to operate but thankfully they did'nt. I did have codeine phosphate and paracetemol, but only taking tramedol now. I am keeping it propped up, i have to rally as it hurts too much if i let it hang down. im getting on my own nerves already:wah: i sid in hospital ,, you better get me out of here soon as,, or you will be kicking me out by a few days,, im a terrible terrible patient:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Raven

help

Post by Raven »

kazalala;1280651 wrote: yes its plastered up to the knee. they thought they might have to operate but thankfully they did'nt. I did have codeine phosphate and paracetemol, but only taking tramedol now. I am keeping it propped up, i have to rally as it hurts too much if i let it hang down. im getting on my own nerves already:wah: i sid in hospital ,, you better get me out of here soon as,, or you will be kicking me out by a few days,, im a terrible terrible patient:wah:
Aw poor hunny! Take your codeine as well as tramedol. Opiates work on the pain when you are actually hurting. When was your last dose?
Imladris

help

Post by Imladris »

Poor Kaz, you must be proper fed up!

Guess what though - I fell over again today! :wah: Bashed my bum this time, hubby threw a wobbly at me for my 'stupid shoes' (ugg boot type about all I've got that are even slightly suitable) and then we had a row! :yh_rotfl

Keep smiling Kaz it could be worse - you could have my hubby nagging at you and getting on your wick! ;)
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
kazalala

help

Post by kazalala »

Raven;1280652 wrote: Aw poor hunny! Take your codeine as well as tramedol. Opiates work on the pain when you are actually hurting. When was your last dose?
well he said only to take one 3 times a day so only had one and due another. Didnt say if i could take owt else with it.

Imladris;1280666 wrote: Poor Kaz, you must be proper fed up!

Guess what though - I fell over again today! :wah: Bashed my bum this time, hubby threw a wobbly at me for my 'stupid shoes' (ugg boot type about all I've got that are even slightly suitable) and then we had a row! :yh_rotfl

Keep smiling Kaz it could be worse - you could have my hubby nagging at you and getting on your wick! ;)

Oh no... erm i fell over again as well:wah:the night i came out of hospital and went to the loo through the night without turning the lights on:wah:got a massive bruise on my arm and hip,, and yes i got wrong too!God be careful and dont fall over again!:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”