How Racing History was made.. Kauto Star, watch the race.

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Wow, what a well thought out race, by Kauto's jockey! That horse just grinds the opposition into the ground! Well done, that wonderful horse! Thanks for showing the race, Oscar, as I hadn't been able to see it. :-6 :D
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

A note for Odie - how many jockeys can you see whipping their horses? The most I could see was the 4th or 5th where the jockey 'shows' the whip to the horse, but doesn't actually hit the animal. You will notice how Kauto Star was 'ridden' to the line - no whip used, and this is as it should be. A beautifully judged race.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1276341 wrote: A note for Odie - how many jockeys can you see whipping their horses? The most I could see was the 4th or 5th where the jockey 'shows' the whip to the horse, but doesn't actually hit the animal. You will notice how Kauto Star was 'ridden' to the line - no whip used, and this is as it should be. A beautifully judged race.

I couldn't see much Gill, I need my glasses, but I do believe you.

stunning horse!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Thank you so much for the video of the race Oscar! What an amazing and beautiful horse he is :-4
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1276340 wrote: Wow, what a well thought out race, by Kauto's jockey! That horse just grinds the opposition into the ground! Well done, that wonderful horse! Thanks for showing the race, Oscar, as I hadn't been able to see it. :-6 :D
This was certainly text book Kauto/ Ruby Walsh. Us Kauto devotee's still hold our breath at the last fence as Kauto has had a history of 'Banking' or 'Paddling' the last fence as Imperial Commander did at the second here. 'Deep Purple' was pulled up after his jockey realised he had a burst blood vessel but I am assured he is recovering and well. I missed the presence of Kauto's rival and Stable mate, Denman this year who I assume was pulled from the race for his health after his near fatal fall at Aintree earlier in the year. I also missed another long time favourite of mine, 'Exotic Dancer' who sadly died earlier in the year at Aintree. She was the horse who gave me my straight treble at Cheltenham in march by coming in third behind Kauto and Denman.

Even with Denman and Exotic Dancer in the race, they could not have competed with Kauto who was just at his most supreme. I have seen him race many times but I was in tears yesterday at the true harmony of horse and man as Ruby rode him 36 lengths clear. Even Denman in his finest form could have been no match for Kauto on the day. The atmosphere on the course was electric with thousands waving their 'I'm 4 Kauto' placards in Ruby's colours. Infact the cheer that went up from thousands of people as Kauto was brought in to parade seemed to spook him slightly.

Certainly racing history in many ways but this has to top all the greats I have seen including Red Rum.

Roll on the Gold Cup in March at Cheltenham.... Can Kauto Star secure a third Gold Cup? Something that has never been done. Even the great Desert Orchid taking two Gold Cups. Well, the bookies are taking no chances. Kauto will rest up now and will not race again unitl the Gold Cup. The moment he crossed the line yesterday, odds were slashed to 5/4. You all need to get down the bookie's now and get the best anti-post price possible.

In the thread I put on months ago, I predicted that 'Madison' would be a third in yesterdays race. Due to the withdrawals, she managed to beat Barbers Shop into second place so I was pretty acurate on my prediction.

Ruby Walsh is Kauto's regular jockey and he knows that horse like the back of his hand. The race was text book, keeping Kauto cantering around 5th or 6th until the last three jumps, then gathering speed.

Even as Kauto came in to the winners enclosure, I only saw a small amount of sweat under the saddle but apart from that he was barely out of breath. What a superstar?

A outdated video now but all the same this shows the Incredible partnership of Ruby Walsh and Kauto Star.

Odie... the days of using whips are long gone. Gill is absolutely correct in that the horse is shown the whip as a signal... nothing else.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Scrat;1276335 wrote: How was history made? A new record? I don't know anything about this sport.

Kauto Star went on to win the 2009 Gold Cup defeating Denman, who had recovered from a defibrillating heart to take his place in the race, and became the first horse to regain his Cheltenham crown after losing it in 2008. Kauto put in a breathtaking performance to win the contest by 13 lengths, a performance Timeform called "arguably the best performance in the race since Arkle" and "ending once and for all any doubt about his place among the greats". After the race, Ruby Walsh, the top jockey at the 2009 Cheltenham Festival was quoted as saying: "He's (Kauto Star) the greatest horse I've ever ridden.". Kauto Star was given an Official Rating of 186 on the back of this Performance.

On Saturday 21st November, Kauto Star made it a hat-trick of victories in the Betfair Chase having previously won the race in 2006 and 2007. He won by the narrowest of margins over the Ryanair Chase winner Imperial Commander, who rallied well to answer the callings of Denis O'Regan but to fail only by a nose. However, nothing is to be taken away from Kauto Star in his manner of victory, he won in a gutsy display of stamina and courage on ever decreasing, unfavourable ground and on a course that has proven not to be one of his favourites.

Kauto Star then went on to equal Desert Orchid's record of four victories in the King George VI Chase in a masterly performance and comprehensive win on Boxing Day at Kempton Racecourse. The record winning length of any Classic horse race was held by Arkle at 30 lengths. Kauto Star won by 36 clear lengths taking the record. Desert Orchid who held the record for four King George wins were not consequtive where-as Kauto's were.

Kauto Star will now be aiming to run and defend his Cheltenham Gold Cup crown at Cheltenham Racecourse on Friday 19th March, the crown in which regained from 2007 after losing to Denman in 2008. Winning back the 2009 Cheltenham Gold Cup made him the first horse to regain jump racing's greatest and most prestigious prize.

All being well with the up and coming 2009-10 season, it was claimed by in which manner Kauto Star regained his Cheltenham Gold Cup crown that he could possibly be aimed another two runnings of the feature in 2011 and 2012. But rumours have emerged that with another full successful season of victories we may see Kauto Star retired and to be remembered in history as simply one of the greats.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

What a horse! How thrilling to watch that clip, thanks for posting it. I'd never watched that type of race before. I've seen turf races at Santa Anita but not steeplechase (?) Where did the name Kauto come from? My brother who has worked at most of our major farms in Kentucky, helping to foal those gorgeous high-dollar babies, just left yesterday for home. I'm sending him that video clip, which I know he'll enjoy. Again, thank you.
Oscar Namechange

Zapata;1276464 wrote: What a horse! How thrilling to watch that clip, thanks for posting it. I'd never watched that type of race before. I've seen turf races at Santa Anita but not steeplechase (?) Where did the name Kauto come from? My brother who has worked at most of our major farms in Kentucky, helping to foal those gorgeous high-dollar babies, just left yesterday for home. I'm sending him that video clip, which I know he'll enjoy. Again, thank you. Your welcome... I hope your brother enjoys the race.

Kauto Star first came to the attention of Paul Nicholls when he saw a video of him in action at Auteuil. Nicholls was so impressed with what he saw that he sought to arrange a purchase through his bloodstock agent in France, Anthony Bromley. Nicholls arranged an owner in the shape of Clive Smith who was looking to purchase a horse and had recently had a 500,000 guineas offer for another horse (Garde Champetre) outbid by J. P. McManus. He used 400,000 euros to purchase Kauto Star from his French owners.

After a promising Hurdle career in France where he was known as 'L'Extraterrestre' which translates to 'The Extraterrestrial' meaning 'out of this world' or 'not of this world' which turns out to be quite a fitting testament to Kauto Star's capabilities, Kauto Star made a successful debut in England, winning a Novice Chase at Newbury beating Foreman by 9 lengths.

The rest is history !!!!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

That is so interesting to me since during my brother's visit we talked a lot about extraterrestrials, psychic things, dreams, reincarnation, etc. and before I got your information I had sent him an e-mail about the extraterrestrial horse, Kauto Star!
Oscar Namechange

Zapata;1276473 wrote: That is so interesting to me since during my brother's visit we talked a lot about extraterrestrials, psychic things, dreams, reincarnation, etc. and before I got your information I had sent him an e-mail about the extraterrestrial horse, Kauto Star! Yes, myself also. My Father was a horse-racing fanatic and as a child I attended many race meetings with him. Over the years I have been fortunate to see many of the greats run but very few stand out from the rest. I can name my special horses on one hand, they are far and few between. I will probably upset many people, but myself personally, I would not rate 'Red Rum' as one of the greats. A 'great' is so much more more than a winning horse. It's the combination of horse, owner, jockey and trainer. Very rarely does such a great combination come along. A 'Great' will also tie your stomach in knots when they make a blunder at the last fence as Kauto has, yet masterfully recover in order to still win.

We haven't seen a horse like this for two decades since the late Desert Orchid. It's not just about winning, It's about the racing nation taking a horse to their hearts and turning out rain or shine to see him run. For the first time in history, Kempton Park was on the verge of putting up 'Full' signs yesterday after record breaking crowds turned out to see Kauto.

The late Great Desert Orchid who's record Kauto Star smashed yesterday.

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

To quote my brother in his reply to my e-mail, "They say he's the best in 40 years."

I can take that to the bank because my brother is a long time expert on horses and all things about horses and can rattle off statistics and lineage from memory which would boggle your mind. He's now at Calumet Farms where a portion of Seabiscuit was filmed. They have a cemetery where some of the great champions are buried. I had the good fortune to see the Kentucky Derby with him when Barbaro won. And I saw the barns where the babies are born and raised. Gorgeous!!
Oscar Namechange

Zapata;1276530 wrote: To quote my brother in his reply to my e-mail, "They say he's the best in 40 years."

I can take that to the bank because my brother is a long time expert on horses and all things about horses and can rattle off statistics and lineage from memory which would boggle your mind. He's now at Calumet Farms where a portion of Seabiscuit was filmed. They have a cemetery where some of the great champions are buried. I had the good fortune to see the Kentucky Derby with him when Barbaro won. And I saw the barns where the babies are born and raised. Gorgeous!!

Yes, the reviews on the race are now saying he is better than 'Arkle' who ran in the 1960's. The next question is... can he win a third Gold Cup? It's never been done before. 20 years ago, Desert Orchid won it twice but Kauto is the only horse to re-gain the Gold Cup after coming second to his stable mate 'Denman' two years ago. What I do know, is that my place is booked on the course to be there to see him run again.

My brother is a twarted jockey ( far too tall). He owns two race-horses now and he is a course bookmaker. Kauto Star is not his favourite horse at the moment :wah: I'm sure most of the bookmakers feel the same.

Seabiscuit was well before my time... I believe he was around 5 years old in the Great Depression of the US. I have not seen the film yet but must. The Kentucky Derby is something I take Interest in each year and would love to be able to attend one day soon.

Us Kauto Star devotee's have not always had it so easy with him. In his career he has given us some heart stopping moments when he has banked fences, often the last fence. This seems to have been cured since running him with the nose-band. These are some races, I hate to recall yet he just gets better as each race goes by. Any-one who does not take the opportunity to get a bet on him for the Gold Cup now for the best price must be mad.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Kauto Star now 6/4 to win a fifth consequetive King George Boxing Day 2010

Kauto Star 5/4 to win the third Gold Cup at Cheltenham March 19th.

Attached files
droby

Post by droby »

Yeah, Kauto Star will definitely find a place in horse racing history, that was a hell of a race. Haven't heard about Desert Orchid so far but had a look at the video and the horse also did a great job. I am a big fan of the Triple Crown races and really interested in the Kentucky Derby records and history and read a lot of books and internet blogs about it. Great that there are so many videos of the famous races on youtube.
Oscar Namechange

droby;1327162 wrote: Yeah, Kauto Star will definitely find a place in horse racing history, that was a hell of a race. Haven't heard about Desert Orchid so far but had a look at the video and the horse also did a great job. I am a big fan of the Triple Crown races and really interested in the Kentucky Derby records and history and read a lot of books and internet blogs about it. Great that there are so many videos of the famous races on youtube.
Hi Droby.

Thank You for contributing to my thread although It is some months old now.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around as It Is good to have another racing fan here.

First of all, I also enjoy US horse-racing and I do wish our sporting media covered more of It here.

Our Queen Is an avid fan of the Kentucky Derby also.

I do follow a little of US Horse-Racing and I shed some tears I must say when 'Eight Belles' collapsed and died after coming 2nd In the 2008 KD.

Just to up-date for you... Desert Orchid was Englands greatest Race-horse before Kauto Star and Kauto's rival Denman came to rule. He died aged 27 years old on 13th November 2006 after being raised to Iconic status In the hearts of the Nation.

Such greats are rare here and after 'Dessie' retired from racing In 1983, we have not seen such a great or Indeed any horse raised to such Iconic status by the public for the almost 30 years since him..

YouTube - Desert Orchid Memorial Video

After Kauto Star's historic win Boxing Day where he beat Desert Orchids record, he ran against his rival 'Denman' In the Gold Cup this year In March.

I knew he was doomed the moment It began to rain the night before making the going soft. In the beginning of the race, he was boxed In and he blundered badly at the 4th fence yet made a good recovery. Denman ran a typical Denman style race ( an extremely tempremental horse so only when he Is In the mood) and led from the front. In his entire racing career, Denman has only ever fallen once, at Aintree last year which was near fatal so his recovery was Incredible. At the 4th last fence from home, mine and thousands of Kauto Star's fan hearts stopped when he fell badly. He went down on his neck and rolled 3 times. For the split seconds he lay on the ground, I thought I would die of grief. Denman ran on to come 2nd behind the winner 'Imperial Commander' who you saw In the race with Kauto blundering badly, banking fences.

YouTube - Cheltenham Gold Cup Chase 2010

On Boxing Day, Kauto Star will bid for his 5th consequtive King George Stakes. Although there will likely be with-drawals before the big day, Denman and Imperial Commander are entered against kauto Star... It will be a thrilling race.

There Is another astonishing aspect to The King George race last year In the opening post. While all eyes were on Kauto Star, what was over-looked by many was the performance of 'Madison Du Berlais. Coming Into the 5th last fence of the 3 and half miles, she was a mile away from Kauto Star, Nacara and Barbers Shop ( Owned by The Queen )... She made enough ground to come In 2nd although she finished a mile behind Kauto Star. That wa some recovery especially after banking a fence !!!

Return to “Arts Animation”