Obsessions

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
Ahso!

Obsessions

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1271964 wrote: Why doesn't America just give her back to France and be done with it? What was the question?

I mean is Spottie trying to bamboozle us under the cover of a game into making The Lady inward looking instead of beckoning to the rest of the world to bring their poor and downtrodden and all that jazz.... Is he suggesting that now maybe that the American people should emigrate to France... ??? Merde alors. NON!!!!!

It's all too much for my Christmassed out brain. I'm going to pour a glass of vino and rewatch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. ....I left one reply to this on the thread Pam left it on, but I also decided, after some consideration, and out of respect for Pam, to address her concerns here.

Whether they be of a national origin, a personal goal, simply a focus on the spider walking across the living room floor or any number of issues, obsessions for some of us are as natural, real and important as drinking water - we can't escape them, nor do most of us understand that these are in fact obsessions.

Obsessions manifest themselves in people such as myself by means of intellect (what little I have), sarcasm, jokes, creative writing, reasoning, arguing, teaching and so on. Most of the time, as people grow older having to deal with the fact that they are obsessive they disguise the obsessions quite well - practice makes perfect practice.

It's important to understand that the very fact that a subject becomes and remains an obsession and the severity or intensity of said obsession also means the obsessed person has done an awful lot of thinking about the subject. They've considered all the angles they can think of and are convinced of their findings and convictions.

The problem arises when these obsessive behaviors are presented socially. The reasoning is usually quite sound, and the evidence is usually pretty overwhelming, but the presentation is usually crude and lacks empathy for the listeners - mindblindness.

Playfulness is essential to obsessive behavior as it becomes an outlet when all else fails. The fact that both playfulness and obsession usually coexist in people is quite entertaining. Watch any Woody Allen movie or Robin Williams' comedy routine and you can get what I'm saying.

Most of us whom are obsessive are actually quite intelligent, but no more or less than others. We just highlight it more openly than most - we lack humility to a certain extent.

One of the things I enjoy so much here on FG is that there is a wealth of subjects to amuse myself in of both a mature and frolic nature.

This is a reality of the 21st century, Pam. Its odd and challenging to those whom do not live with such conditions. The good news though is that this new awareness in our people can help us advance culturally if recognized and treated in a forward looking manner.

I hope this all made sense! Sorry if it didn't, but I tried!:)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Rapunzel

Obsessions

Post by Rapunzel »

ummmmmmmm...you lost me here...

Ahso!;1271974 wrote:

Playfulness is essential to obsessive behavior as it becomes an outlet when all else fails. The fact that both playfulness and obsession usually coexist in people is quite entertaining. Watch any Woody Allen movie or Robin Williams' comedy routine and you can get what I'm saying.

... and here

This is a reality of the 21st century, Pam. Its odd and challenging to those whom do not live with such conditions. The good news though is that this new awareness in our people can help us advance culturally if recognized and treated in a forward looking manner.

I hope this all made sense! Sorry if it didn't, but I tried!:)

Please don't be offended.

I can't really see the connection to Pammie's post and I can't really see the point you were trying to make. It sounded promising . . . I just got lost.

Personally, I can't stand Woody Allen films so maybe if you explained your point via Robin Williams films, then maybe I could understand better. Thanks.
Ahso!

Obsessions

Post by Ahso! »

Rapunzel;1272249 wrote: ummmmmmmm...you lost me here...

Please don't be offended.

I can't really see the connection to Pammie's post and I can't really see the point you were trying to make. It sounded promising . . . I just got lost.

Personally, I can't stand Woody Allen films so maybe if you explained your point via Robin Williams films, then maybe I could understand better. Thanks.I thought Pam's main objection was as is many objections to some of Spot's posts especially regarding the U.S.. Those posts reflect what I see as an obsession regarding U.S. policy and attitude. You really can't argue with the principles put forward in those posts, but I think what people get tired of is the constant working of it. I read Pam's post as suggesting that Spot was once again at it and I was being manipulated by his doings. Thats the connection to Pam's post.

On to the comedy bit.

Sorry you don't enjoy Woody Allen movies, but thats not the point. What I was trying to convey is that his rich dialogue is playful in nature and amusing in that sense (Robin Williams was merely an additional example). Every comedy act or movie usually has an important point which the writer/director is trying to advance in a playful manner.

Does that do it for you?:)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Mental Health”