Ubuntu 9.10

Ahso!

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by Ahso! »

Its been out for a month now, Is anyone using it? Ext4 file system by default (clean install only) is fast.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Robert J;1267890 wrote: Its been out for a month now, Is anyone using it? Ext4 file system by default (clean install only) is fast.

I'm using it here. The default shell is not as pretty as 9.04 but it's seamless, stable and efficient so no complaints.
spot

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by spot »

I don't think I can be...

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Memory: 1002 MiB

Uptime: 44 days 3 h 23 min

It's so long back I can't even remember why I rebooted.

I ought not to be running Ubuntu at all, I only put it on in mid-October to see what their encrypted LVM install went like, I should be running Slackware by rights.

Ah... now I remember why I rebooted, it was part of the install process.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
yaaarrrgg

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I installed it and am really happy with it.

Also my wife's mother got tired of dealing with Vista and Microsoft, and asked for me to install it on her computer as well. :)
The Rob

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by The Rob »

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 via WUBI (installed within Vista) and would love to upgrade to 9.10, but due to an attempted and unsuccessful clean install of the newest release, I'm gun-shy. The updated Grub (1.97~beta 4) appears to throw a wrench into the booting process, dropping me to a command shell. Being a Windows user predominately, I responded to this as required: I slipped to the floor moaning and assumed a fetal position.

Oh well. Sounds GREAT, though.
Ahso!

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by Ahso! »

The Rob;1268356 wrote: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 via WUBI (installed within Vista) and would love to upgrade to 9.10, but due to an attempted and unsuccessful clean install of the newest release, I'm gun-shy. The updated Grub (1.97~beta 4) appears to throw a wrench into the booting process, dropping me to a command shell. Being a Windows user predominately, I responded to this as required: I slipped to the floor moaning and assumed a fetal position.

Oh well. Sounds GREAT, though. Are you sure it wasn't the server edition you were installing? I'd check that if I were you. 64 bit only comes in the server edition, try downloading and running the live cd for the i386 version. It should be as easy as it was with 9.04.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The Rob;1268356 wrote: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 via WUBI (installed within Vista) and would love to upgrade to 9.10, but due to an attempted and unsuccessful clean install of the newest release, I'm gun-shy. The updated Grub (1.97~beta 4) appears to throw a wrench into the booting process, dropping me to a command shell. Being a Windows user predominately, I responded to this as required: I slipped to the floor moaning and assumed a fetal position.

Oh well. Sounds GREAT, though.

Far easier, I'd say, to run it the other way round.

Run Ubuntu as your prime OS and run Windoze under a virtual machine within it. I run XP and 7 (very occasionally) that way with no problems.
spot

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1268398 wrote: Run Ubuntu as your prime OS and run Windoze under a virtual machine within it. I run XP and 7 (very occasionally) that way with no problems.

Don't try this with less than 1GB of memory, kiddies, or your experience will be less than optimal.

Goodness knows how much extra memory you'd need to do the reverse on a Windows platform though. I did it once with 2GB installed and even that twitched.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
The Rob

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by The Rob »

Ahso!;1268363 wrote: Are you sure it wasn't the server edition you were installing? I'd check that if I were you. 64 bit only comes in the server edition, try downloading and running the live cd for the i386 version. It should be as easy as it was with 9.04.

Nope, it was the desktop ISO. Apparently I'm not the only one to experience the issue:

http://newyork.ubuntuforums.org/showthr ... ?t=1307429][ubuntu] GNU GRUB version 1.97~Beta4 error - Ubuntu Forums

I'll figure it out eventually. I just need to nerd up. :D
Ahso!

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by Ahso! »

The Rob;1268860 wrote: Nope, it was the desktop ISO. Apparently I'm not the only one to experience the issue:

][ubuntu] GNU GRUB version 1.97~Beta4 error - Ubuntu Forums[ubuntu] GNU GRUB version 1.97~Beta4 error - Ubuntu Forums

I'll figure it out eventually. I just need to nerd up. :DGlad to hear you got it figured out. I did have that problem with the server edition, thats why I asked. For some reason it wants the user to install each component one by one.

Ubuntu forums are great and what you can't find there you'll find someplace else with googleing.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Computers Internet”