What's your basic religion/belief system?

joey2000

Post by joey2000 »

Just curious - hopefully I broke this out well, pardon if not
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

No group affiliation.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Jedi Knight
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

mikeinie;1265476 wrote: Jedi Knightyou guy's are so messed up. Don't you do interplanetary breeding or something?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
joey2000

Post by joey2000 »

:rolleyes:

Not sure I get why anyone would be afraid to answer this, but whatever
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Church Of The SubGenius

Pamphlet #1 - intro

PRAISE BOB !
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

joey2000;1265489 wrote: :rolleyes:

Not sure I get why anyone would be afraid to answer this, but whateverI don't think anyone is afraid. they have probably answered the question more times than they'd like to remember. this forum has been around since 2004 I believe, and you're not the first to bring it up.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

But i think the responses so far are pretty good!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Was raised and educated Catholic. I no longer practice that faith nor any other in the conventional way. I believe in God, regular prayer, the ten commandments, lessons taught by the bible. I believe in an afterlife, that we have a soul. Heaven, hell. :thinking:
minks

Post by minks »

Woodlands Owl :yh_rotfl
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

minks;1265502 wrote: Woodlands Owl :yh_rotfl
:yh_rotfl Al Forest rises again.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I don't really go with any religion as I think they are all a bunch of crap.

I stick to my own beliefs.
Life is just to short for drama.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

My belief is in myself :-6
joey2000

Post by joey2000 »

Robert J;1265495 wrote: I don't think anyone is afraid. they have probably answered the question more times than they'd like to remember. this forum has been around since 2004 I believe, and you're not the first to bring it up.

My bad then. Guess I should've tried to find - but that one might have been kind of old too (ie didn't include newer members etc). No big either way.

PS this had a poll attached, looks like it got lost in the move to the general forum - oh well
Odie

Post by Odie »

what are your beliefs Joey?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Richard Bell;1265494 wrote: Church Of The SubGenius

Pamphlet #1 - intro

PRAISE BOB !

nice to see you back here!:guitarist
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

This is the closest I've come to putting my beliefs into words. Basically, I believe in a BIG GOD. People always seem to me to try to make God small and interested in Earth alone, and their lives specifically. (Of course that would probably be a reaction to being incredible small in an incredibly large Universe!)

This is a conversation I once had with Spot concerning God (It's a bit patched together from different threads):

spot wrote: An idea of God being at any time unaware of His own existence would leave me puzzled about what you mean by the word.

I'm with you there. If God were not self aware, then what possible motive could He have for Creation? My personal theory is that he was incredibly lonely, why else create intelligent life, if not to live through them and keep him company?

The same God who responds to prayers today carries the same memories and nature as the God who created all things before time existed - this is the same Being, the same Person?

Yes, I'm thinking the same thing, although I have to admit with the advances made in membrane theory and the possibility that there are an infinity of Universes, the Creator begins to take on mammoth proportions. Still doesn't stop Him from existing, just makes his existence boggle the imagination. And I'm just as guilty as any one of personifying him, giving him human characteristics. Its possible that he is far from human.

We would agree that there are no particles in the universe which span the same range, no planets, stars, galaxies, or energy that existed over the same frame of reference? If that's the God we're talking about, He seems far more likely to me to be an invention of man than an entity.

Entity seems a perfect word for Him. A being that is all-seeing, and all-knowing, intermixed at the very subatomic level with every bit of matter in the Universe. The string theorists gave me an idea. If, at the basis of every sub-quark, there is nothing but a vibration wave, and it is this wave that gives rise to differing forms of matter, why then there must be a quadrillion (just a number that I can get around in my head, most likely it's much, much bigger.) of vibration waves all interacting at once.

Here on Earth, we call that a song. So if the Universe is a song, doesn't that imply a singer?

Thus...All Creation is a song in the mind of God.

That thought has a beauty and simplicity that I find comforting. Truth? Who knows?

You and I sit here, the product of millions of years of evolution arising from self-replicating molecules that formed from the heavy atoms blown apart from a star, then condensed here.

Thousands of miles apart, we flash our thoughts across to each other in streams of electrons, contemplating not the incredible process that brought us here, but the possibility that some "entity" designed and started this process, and is even possibly still guiding it.

It's a freakin' miracle, life is. That's what makes me believe in God. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad

Why are we here ?

To become intelligent. The single greatest survival trait is intelligence, It is better and more powerful than any other trait such as fangs or speed. Therefore, where ever life begins, it will evolve towards intelligence eventually. Therefore the reason for the Universe is to create intelligence. The real question is why does the Creator want life to be intelligent?

Quote:

On Earth that is. Is there a reason ?

Yes. Earth lies in the "life belt". In our orbit, we are not too close to the Sun or too far away. It's not too hot or cold to sustain carbon-based life here. The early self-replicating molecules found that they could sustain reproduction here. The more complex the form, the better its chance for survival. Therefore life evolved into humans.

Quote:

Is it a fluke ?

No...The speed of light is 6.0 X 10^6 mph., the acceleration of gravity is 32 ft.^2, and the distance around a circle (or your atom or a planet, or a galaxy) divided by the distance across it is 3.1415926... These constants are set and have been set since creation. Change just one number by one digit and the entire Universe would cease to exist. So, no. It's no fluke, there is a plan to the Universe.

Quote:

If God exists, why are we on this tiny blue planet

suspended in a vast and seemingly endless void of harsh

Uninhabitable cosmos ?

Now you are asking the right question. Why does life exist at all? Since it's obvious that life exists to create intelligence, then the real question is "Why does life need to be intelligent?" No one has this answer, although I have a suspicion. I suggest that since "God lives in the birds and the bees, the rocks and the trees," He experiences his creation through us. Most religious people would agree that an omniscient God would see, hear and experience everything an intelligent human does. Perhaps we are how God lives...He lives through us.

Quote:

Do we have a unified purpose ?

Once, long, long ago, you and I and everyone else were in the center of a star. That is the only place where heavy atoms like carbon and iron can be made. That star blew up and the dust cloud it made eventually condensed into this solar system. From those very atoms, your mother's body broke down the food molecules that she ate and made your body. That seems pretty unifying to me, but it's still just a unified history, not a purpose.

Quote:

An individual purpose ?

Absolutely. Like the threads in a great tapestry, you and I cannot know our actual purpose or the repercussions of everything we do each day. But the beauty of the mathematics of creation suggests that there is a very clear purpose.

Let me put it this way. When you throw a stone into the water, you make ripples. When hundreds of stones are thrown, the ripples cross and recross making fantastic patterns. These patterns are just like our lives. You help a little old lady across the street today. Because of that, she doesn't get hit by a car. She now has a child. That child grows up to invent a cure for cancer. Without your individual purpose of helping her across the street, her son could never realize his individual purpose of inventing a cancer cure.

Quote:

Is this a test ?

Most likely, yes. If you ascribe to the theory that there is a purpose to the universe, then there is a purpose to every part of the universe, including you. If you do not fulfill your purpose, you fail the test.

Quote:

How are we doing ?

You'll know every detail. Exactly which lives you affected, how much, and when. Every nuance of the millions of decisions that you made throughout your lifespan will be made clear to you....

When you die.
minks

Post by minks »

joey2000;1265543 wrote: My bad then. Guess I should've tried to find - but that one might have been kind of old too (ie didn't include newer members etc). No big either way.

PS this had a poll attached, looks like it got lost in the move to the general forum - oh well

Hang in there Joey, sometimes we jut get a little punchy here. Yes as pointed out we get asked often repeated questions. No big deal. We like to poke fun at times.

Nothing bad about your questions, we have a ton of posts to sort through to find answers so ask away. Don't be discouraged.

Also keep in mind we have seen some oddballs in here and sometimes we old members tend to "test" them.

For real my religious belief is the golden rule.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." unless you are trying to steal food off my plate then look out I will stab you with my fork. :yh_rotfl

― Mae West
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

minks;1265577 wrote:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." unless you are trying to steal food off my plate then look out I will stab you with my fork. :yh_rotfl
I always knew you were a forker.:D
minks

Post by minks »

YZGI;1265582 wrote: I always knew you were a forker.:D

Bwawww hawww hawwww yep just a right regular little forker.

― Mae West
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I believe in God, born notionally Church of England, chose the Methodist Church as a teenager.

Don't currently attend church but still believe. All of it, heaven, hell, power of prayer, forgiveness etc.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Where we're from, what we believe.. Next poll will be our consumer preferences re breakfast cereal??? Just kidding. :sneaky:

Christian.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Atheist
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Lon

Post by Lon »

As a Secular Humanist I have no religion and my belief system centers around people, some I believe and some I don't. I believe what I can see, smell, taste & feel and that's a pretty satisfactory way for me to live and be content.
joey2000

Post by joey2000 »

AussiePam;1265604 wrote: Where we're from, what we believe.. Next poll will be our consumer preferences re breakfast cereal??? Just kidding. :sneaky:

Christian.

Oh great, a stalker :thinking:

;)

PS: I'm into that Cheerios w/the fruit in it myself, but don't buy cereal much any more - it's too expensive and I can eat a whole box in a sitting w/o blinking.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Joey, read post no. 15!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Johny

Post by Johny »

I'm a member of The Order of Novation, I believe that there is no God like its in the bible or any other book. More something like a center of the univers where we all came from and where we will return to to be reborn and it all may be starts over again and again.
spot

Post by spot »

Why?

It started up last month? Wow that's a new religion. Squeaky clean!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Johny

Post by Johny »

It didn't start up last month it only went online a while ago. The order is already there since about some 20 years.

I joined cuz I like the point of view these guys have, I agree with most things they tell, more than with any other religion. And they don't hand out strict rules like the catholics or the moslems. They don't have rules about sexual activity, or food, or something. And I guess the order is more intellectual than most other groups.

spot;1303028 wrote: Why?

It started up last month? Wow that's a new religion. Squeaky clean!
spot

Post by spot »

Johny;1303033 wrote: It didn't start up last month it only went online a while ago. The order is already there since about some 20 years.Then they've been the quietest religious startup since ever. Google has so never heard of them before the beginning of April, not a twitch, not a rustle of a curtain. Google is rarely so uninformed.

That free-for-ever .us.tc Turks and Caicos domain sub-registry is a bit naff too, if you'll pardon the observation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Johny

Post by Johny »

I think there are many churches around the world who don't use the intert. Its quiet understandble why, most churches on web are money catchers and most people already know about that. So when they come up a internet church and there are millions of them, than they mostly don't even read the statements or the church they just look if there is a "donate" button and than they leave again because they think "oh not another money church".
spot

Post by spot »

On the other hand, we're not talking about a church using the internet or not, we're talking about a church being discussed by third parties on the internet. And it isn't. Not a dickybird. We're looking at someone who's still at school, not a 20 year old church with adherents. This is pure teenage-mutant build. All power to you, but starting up with a faked history is an odd way to go about it.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Who is still at school :confused:

You don't even know the church but say its history is faked or teenage made.?!

I can't say why they came up now on the internet cuz I don't know I haven't joind them via internet. They do it here like all churches in this place seek out new members, the best example here in my location are the moromons, they have a church in almost every neighborhood (they seem to have the money for it) and beside that they go from door to door and talk to the people.
spot

Post by spot »

And they'd get discussed on the Internet, regardless of whether or not they have a website of their own. If people have heard about it then people discuss it online, whether it's a church or a playstation or a dental practice.

You've made three posts in the last day, as Hammerhead and scepticman and Johny. The one to ReligiousForums got the domain name spelling wrong, too. Other than that there's zilch. Claiming it's existed as a real-world entity for the last 20 years is pointless. Not even if it were a sworn deadly secret members-only club would it totally avoid discussion.
Johny

Post by Johny »

It can only be discoussed if people talk about it on the internet right?

Many people here, where the order is and where I live still don not lnow what the internet really is , or they can't pay for it or just don not want it.

I guess I haven't mantioned that yet but The Order of Novation was founded and has its HQ in Paraguay. This should explain why there is nothing on the internet about them.

About the other forums, I haven't made any posts there may be others but this is the first time that I post about them in a forum.
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

Well i was raised catholic. then after many years of GUILT. i became methodist. which i feel are catholics without guilt. now i attend a baptist church. but i concider myself, just a child of God.;);)
spot

Post by spot »

Johny;1303059 wrote: I guess I haven't mantioned that yet but The Order of Novation was founded and has its HQ in Paraguay. This should explain why there is nothing on the internet about them.

The Order has a Headquarters? A real physical Temple-like building? Grandmaster Chris is really motoring if he's got that far.

May we know the address of the Headquarters Temple in Paraguay please? Since the Order isn't secret or anything, just newly-internet-connected.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Yes, they have serveral real locations, where members meet. Temple-Like is a thing you won't find very often here. The Order uses the privat proprietary of higher members who own big houeses or much land. Its not uncommon to own about 100.000sf or more land in Paraguay.

Adresses are another tricky thing down here, if you know Paraguay you will know that most streets have no names and houses no numbers and there is no mail delievry service. You have to get a postbox office at a local mail station. The Order has one by thr way. I can give that adress out by pm if anybody cares.

A public Temple, its kinda useless more or less because it costs a lot of money and maintenance, but the order has a construction side since some three years a long side the ruta 9 between the city of Villa Hayes and the City of Berjamin Aceval.

But its still under construction everything in this country goes very slow.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

mikeinie;1265476 wrote: Jedi Knight

me too!!!!! :cool:

on a census a few years back i really did put that down as my religion as if there was a certain percentage of the population with it, it had to be recognised as a genuine religion

i also worship at 'Beowulf's Church of the Terminally Short of Cash'
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

spot

Post by spot »

Johny;1303067 wrote: the order has a construction side since some three years a long side the ruta 9 between the city of Villa Hayes and the City of Berjamin Aceval.

I'm trying to balance polygamy is prohibited by law in Paraguay with "many of The Orders members practice polygamy", and wondering wide-eyed at "we are only holding weapons for self-defense". On the other hand, "there is a small fee to pay in oder to become a member as well as fees for training material which is needed if members want to promoted into higher ranks within the Order" doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I still say it's just one schoolkid with a lot to learn about building a website. Oh.. I missed "as long as at least two of us standing together and keeping the unity and the balance the order can not fail" - let's be generous and call it two schoolkids then.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Well you are wrong again, no schoolkid.

Let me explain

1 Polygamy:

May the paraguaian law say polygamy is phoibited.

BUT only a civil marriage is an acknowledged marriage.

There for a marriage ceremony held by a church is not an offical marriage so the law about polygamy does not count. Because the law on polygamy is only connected to an official acknowledged marriage. There are no laws in Paraguay wich regulate the "lifestyle" of people, you can live with as many people in an household as you want.

And due to the fact that only a civil marriage is acknowledged, the law does not effect us.

2 a. Religion and Weapons / Paraguay and Weapons

The Order made this statement because no one should mistake the order with a group of radical fanatics you want to claim world-leadership by the use of force or anything.

2 b.

Paraguay is a dangerous country after all it has one of the hightes poverty rates in all latin america, and weapons for self defense is a must have.

A few weeks ago we had a case that went throu the local media where a foreighn couple was killed by a band of raiders on their own farm. People in Paraguay who can effort have armed security guards in front of their proprietary.

Every Church has to finance itself no matter what, this can be done in many ways.

BUT The Order of Novation is NOT a Church.

The Order is more a organisation equal to Freemasons or other clubs/organisations the difference is we don't hide ourselves. Of course we have our own believe about god or a higher force but these believes are mostly different from member to member. And only the believe in a higher force or a different kind of god makes us not a church, there is no part on the website of the order that says that the order claims to be a church.

But you don't have to be a church to own a temple or a place wehre members can get to gether.
spot

Post by spot »

Johny;1303091 wrote: the law on polygamy is only connected to an official acknowledged marriage.Well, yes. Just so. That's what the word means. Perhaps your website should refer to a polyamory lifestyle instead? Polygamy does involve official state recognition.

Every Church has to finance itself no matter what, this can be done in many ways.Indeed it can. Outside of cults it's usually through voluntary contributions. Setting a price on the teaching - my apologies, "training material" - is way out of line.

If you intend to stick with the .us.tc domain despite employing net63.net for your bandwidth you might consider changing the links, assuming smartdots.com allows URL forwarding for more than just the home page. I'm sure they'll say how somewhere in their user guide. The mix of address styles and the unvarying content in the browser address bar stops anyone from bookmarking any of your content pages at the moment and it plays Old Scratch with the search engines.
Johny

Post by Johny »

After all thats not my decision because I'm not running the site.
spot

Post by spot »

You tell young Chris to log on here sometime then, so we can put him on the straight and narrow.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

spot;1303107 wrote: You tell young Chris to log on here sometime then, so we can put him on the straight and narrow.
Remind me not to post about my new church/cult/freemasonary kinda thing on FG. That Spot is just too good.
spot

Post by spot »

I think he's moved on to new pastures. He's Jarred today on GovTeen Forums. Give him a chance though, he's new at this.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

well that was extremely entertaining ....So was he a child or a pedophile?
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1303303 wrote: well that was extremely entertaining ....So was he a child or a pedophile?

Be fair fuzz, he never went into his likes or dislikes in that sort of detail. For all you know he might have a thing for capybaras. Seriously. You should check them out, they're cute.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”