Nfl 09

Discuss all types of sports.
joey2000

Nfl 09

Post by joey2000 »

So who takes it this year? New Orleans or Colts or Vikes seem the obvious choices - who could prove them wrong?
K.Snyder

Nfl 09

Post by K.Snyder »

New England having gone undefeated the entire 2007 season to only lose in Super Bowl XLII and Arizona having went to Super Bowl XLIII, only losing by 4 points to a team that has won more Super Bowls than any other in the history of the game, after going 9-7 in the regular season, would tell anyone that anyone can win on any given Sunday in the NFL and that includes the Super Bowl.

All in all I think the Saints are a very legitimate contender but their schedule this year hasn't been exactly harsh. The only real team they've played was the Giants and the Giants are struggling this year on top of that!

Minnesota looks strong but they haven't played anyone either with the exception of Baltimore, and while I'll give them an extreme amount of credit for puting up 33 points against a Baltimore D, they also relinquished 31 points to a not at all stellar Baltimore offense! Minnesota plays New England next Sunday. We'll see what the Vikes have then. :yh_wink

The Colts have been a legitimate contender for the past 10 years but they haven't played anyone this year at all either with the exception of New England and if it weren't for a bonehead coaching call the Colts would have lost that game.

AFC -

New England

Colts

Cincinnati (When they can't revert to the Bungles of old and screw up games tenaciously)

Sleeper team - San Diego

NFC

New Orleans

Minnesota

Arizona

Sleeper team - NY Giants

SUPER BOWL XLIIII

Cincinnati 31 vs New Orleans 17 Cincinnati shocks the world!

:yh_wink

Wouldn't be a true fan if I didn't believe so!

BTW - GO FULHAM!

:wah:

joey2000

Nfl 09

Post by joey2000 »

lol - Cincy winning would mean hell had frozen over. No wait that's the Lions.

Like you said anything is possible.
hoppy

Nfl 09

Post by hoppy »

The side with the biggest, meanest, fastest spoiled brat millionaires.:D
Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

hoppy;1265466 wrote: The side with the biggest, meanest, fastest spoiled brat millionaires.:DThats true actually. But I think it would be equally inefficient to hire less than the most qualified for any job in any business.

My question to American Football fans is: With growing evidence that former pro and semi pro football players have a 60% higher chance of developing dementia, how could any loving parent want to expose their children to this game?

I understand that John (boom) Maden makes it sound interesting, but its not worth it in my opinion.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
joey2000

Nfl 09

Post by joey2000 »

Where is this evidence?
Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

joey2000;1265490 wrote: Where is this evidence?I made it up.

Concussions promote dementia in retired football players | Science Blog

Does pro football cause dementia to players?

Football Players' Wives United by Husbands' Dementia | Clipmarks

The World Today - Research shows link between football and dementia 29/10/2009

Though i did word it incorrectly. They have over 60% higher chance---sorry

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Nfl 09

Post by CARLA »

Where did you come up with this information. I work around Alzheimer's patient and others with dementia been doing this for 19 years. To date I haven't seen 1 NFL or minor league players with dementia brought on by playing football. To be honest with you athletes in general are in the category who don't have these issue as they age.

Now if you want to talk a group who is high in early onset of dementia then you should be talking fighters. Yes blows to the head can be a contributing factor in some people who don't wear protection, or have a traumatic head injury. 60% of all football player is not correct.

[QUOTE]My question to American Football fans is: With growing evidence that over 60% of former pro and semi pro football players develop dementia, how could any loving parent want to expose their children to this game?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1265492 wrote: Where did you come up with this information. I work around Alzheimer's patient and others with dementia been doing this for 19 years. To date I haven't seen 1 NFL or minor league players with dementia brought on by playing football. To be honest with you athletes in general are in the category who don't have these issue as they age.

Now if you want to talk a group who is high in early onset of dementia then you should be talking fighters. Yes blows to the head can be a contributing factor in some people who don't wear protection, or have a traumatic head injury. 60% of all football player is not correct.I revised my post, Carla.

I first read about this in the NY Time a few weeks ago, but the times does not leave many of their articles up for very long, so I couldn't find the original, but what I've linked to should do.

And yes, i agree that fighting is as bad if not worse. We use to call that "punch drunk"

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Nfl 09

Post by CARLA »

Thank you thank you very much. If we can keep our players out of bar fight we might have a chance. :-6

[QUOTE]AFC -

New England

Colts

Cincinnati (When they can't revert to the Bungles of old and screw up games tenaciously)

Sleeper team - San Diego

NFC

New Orleans

Minnesota

Arizona

Sleeper team - NY Giants

SUPER BOWL XLIIII

Cincinnati 31 vs New Orleans 17 Cincinnati shocks the world!

Wouldn't be a true fan if I didn't believe so!

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1265503 wrote: Thank you thank you very much. If we can keep our players out of bar fight we might have a chance. :-6Carla, its not like you to ignore evidence. Are you saying that what I've linked is bogus? There is currently a class action law suit in the works brought on by the retired players and their wives against the NFL. Surely, you'd side with the wives.:)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Nfl 09

Post by Odie »

joey2000;1265402 wrote: So who takes it this year? New Orleans or Colts or Vikes seem the obvious choices - who could prove them wrong?

Toronto Argo's, but they're already out!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
joey2000

Nfl 09

Post by joey2000 »

Robert J;1265491 wrote: I made it up.

That's what I figured, since none of your links back up your claims, or the claim in general (although I agree it is a very real concern which should get more research).

Anyway...

I have a hunch it'll be the Vikes. Best RB, one of the best OLs, one of the best Ds, and a QB good enough to keep the Ds honest. NO vs MIN in the playoffs, if it happens, should be one heck of a battle though, and really IMO NO "should" be in the SB. Course Colts vs Saints has an interesting storyline......but then there's always that team you don't expect popping out of nowhere....
Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

joey2000;1265536 wrote: That's what I figured, since none of your links back up your claims, or the claim in general (although I agree it is a very real concern which should get more research).Ouch!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
joey2000

Nfl 09

Post by joey2000 »

Nothing personal, just an observation!
Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

joey2000;1265536 wrote: That's what I figured, since none of your links back up your claims, or the claim in general (although I agree it is a very real concern which should get more research).

Now hold on there....isn't your statement an oxymoron?:)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Nfl 09

Post by Ahso! »

joey2000;1265540 wrote: Nothing personal, just an observation!No offense taken. What part don't you believe, so I can clarify?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
joey2000

Nfl 09

Post by joey2000 »

Has nothing to do w/disbelieving, simply that none of your links backed up your 60% claim. In fact only the first one seemed to provide any substance (although the others are an interesting read), and the "scientificness" of that one is very questionable.
K.Snyder

Nfl 09

Post by K.Snyder »

joey2000;1265465 wrote: lol - Cincy winning would mean hell had frozen over. No wait that's the Lions.

Like you said anything is possible.

Cincinnati has swept the Steelers this year. You know,..last years Super Bowl winners and unarguably the most successful American football franchise in the history of the sport.

When Cincinnati plays well they can beat any team
K.Snyder

Nfl 09

Post by K.Snyder »

Robert J;1265469 wrote: Thats true actually. But I think it would be equally inefficient to hire less than the most qualified for any job in any business.

My question to American Football fans is: With growing evidence that former pro and semi pro football players have a 60% higher chance of developing dementia, how could any loving parent want to expose their children to this game?

I understand that John (boom) Maden makes it sound interesting, but its not worth it in my opinion.

While I'll agree that American football can be very tough I also agree that it's the older football players that are more susceptible to concussion. Quite frankly once people become adults they can decide whether they wish to continue playing football.

I do think American football teaches kids great leadership skill, self confidence, determination, and professionalism(When taught correctly).

I also feel that sports in general is very physically and mentally healthy for children. Keep those kids off their butts!

The problem of childhood obesity in the United States has grown considerably in recent years. Between 16 and 33 percent of children and adolescents are obese. Obesity is among the easiest medical conditions to recognize but most difficult to treat. Unhealthy weight gain due to poor diet and lack of exercise is responsible for over 300,000 deaths each year. The annual cost to society for obesity is estimated at nearly $100 billion. Overweight children are much more likely to become overweight adults unless they adopt and maintain healthier patterns of eating and exercise. Obesity In Children And Teens | American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Do you think exercise is only good for developing a lean body, strong muscles and a strong heart? Well, think again about Health and Fitness! Physical activity has been shown to help with being emotionally and mentally fit also.

While the majority of fitness research efforts focus on the physical and health benefits of exercise, there is a growing body of work demonstrating that exercise promotes wellness and mental health. Researchers at Duke University studied people suffering from depression for 4 months and found that 60% of the participants who exercised for 30 minutes three times a week overcame their depression without using antidepressant medication. This is the same percentage rate as for those who only used medication in their treatment for depression. Health and Fitness: Mental Health Benefits of Exercise ~ FindCounseling.com

Moral of this story is is that so long as "you" don't exercise you'll not only make all of the greed mongering drug companies happy but "you'll", very definitively, serve to waste "your" money and help pump out more "innovative" drugs at the expense of increasing the percentage of mutated kids that get this garbage shoved down their throats
K.Snyder

Nfl 09

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;1265503 wrote: Thank you thank you very much. If we can keep our players out of bar fight we might have a chance. :-6

:yh_kiss

:yh_kiss

K.Snyder

Nfl 09

Post by K.Snyder »

joey2000;1265536 wrote: That's what I figured, since none of your links back up your claims, or the claim in general (although I agree it is a very real concern which should get more research).

Anyway...

I have a hunch it'll be the Vikes. Best RB, one of the best OLs, one of the best Ds, and a QB good enough to keep the Ds honest. NO vs MIN in the playoffs, if it happens, should be one heck of a battle though, and really IMO NO "should" be in the SB. Course Colts vs Saints has an interesting storyline......

We'll see what the "Vikes" do next week.

joey2000;1265536 wrote: but then there's always that team you don't expect popping out of nowhere....

:sneaky:

Return to “Wide World of Sports”