Death

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

Death

Post by Betty Boop »

Ian;1264921 wrote: Are you afraid of dying?

No, I rarely think about it, I have a friend that is petrified to the point she often worries about it, she was raised a Catholic, I wonder if that's why she does worry :confused:
Rapunzel

Death

Post by Rapunzel »

No. (And I'm Catholic too.) :)
along-for-the-ride

Death

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Is it fear of the concept of death, or fear of that moment of dying?

I'm not afraid of death...........happens to all of us. Nobody lives forever. It's the "when and the how" that can be an unsettling thought.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
CARLA

Death

Post by CARLA »

NO just so it is quick and painless.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

hoppy

Death

Post by hoppy »

CARLA;1264952 wrote: NO just so it is quick and painless.

Me 2.
chonsigirl

Death

Post by chonsigirl »

Ian;1264937 wrote: I know a lot of people who worry about it :(

it seems to be a moment of dreaded inevitability in people consciousness that the lower generations can not face.

To know a God that you have faith in can be of some comfort to those in their 60's, but I'm afraid disparity will consume other generations.

Are you sure you know enough if there is an afterlife?

what do you really feel about it?

please ponders if you will for a few days before replying :)

but think about it...

I think that is where faith comes in, Ian. If you believe in God and an afterlife, you really are not too afraid of it.

Do I know there is an afterlife? Yes, I have been there when others have gone before me, and heard what they told me. I believe it is true, at that moment before you step into eternity, you would only say what is really there.

Do I think of it often? Oh, once in awhile. I worry more what will happen to those left, and who will take care of my husband. But truthfully, I do not think I will die with those things to worry about. It is not bravado, but just things that I know.

Does it make me sad? Oh yes, I am worried about my little bird right now. My animals are as beloved as my children, and I want them to be well. I believe they go to heaven, and take the verse of the "lion laying down with the lamb" in a literal sense. I believe they will be there, waiting for me. Someone I loved very much, as he was dying, I made him promise me to take care of my critters up there, and one child who was never born, until I would be there. I believe they all wait for me. To hear someone tell you what is there, to catch a glimpse of it yourself, as they fade from mortality into another realm, you do not forget those things. You learn from them, and wait to join them.

My brother-in-law was murdered, and I was the one in ER waiting room while they tried their best to save him. He called to me, and I knew he was going away. He was not sad, he sure was surprised, but happy. When the doctors came in five minutes later to tell me, I told them I knew and thanked them for their heroic efforts. I know he is there, and once in awhile I will catch a glimpse of something, and know he is thinking of me, and will wait there for me with my father and others when I arrive.

"You see through a glass darkly..." We are on this side, they are on the other. But we will be there one day too.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Death

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Not of death - what is there to fear.

Dying? Not fear but I do hope it's clean.

What I do fear is life being drawn out beyond its reasonable conclusion - where the body continues even though the mind is dead or where the body is so damaged that no dignity is left I would not wish to continue to live.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Death

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ian;1264950 wrote: Okay this may be to deep :( mods if you wish to delete be my guest..

Otherwise my intentions are for positve and not morbid reasons :)

Not too deep at all - an interesting question that should draw some interesting answers.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Death

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ian;1264971 wrote: If you have no mind then what is dignity worth?

Either or!

If either the mind has died or the body leave you with no dignity the time has come to say goodbye.
Kathy Ellen

Death

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Good question Ian.

Yes, I have thought about this question a lot.

I was raised as a Roman Catholic and did not like anything about this religion. There was always so much fire and brimstone fear instilled in us that wasn't healthy for me.

Our Church also catered to the males too much and left the women behind. We females couldn't be altar girls...or rule the home or have a better job than our husbands. I also felt that we were treated like 2nd class citizens:confused:.

Funny how things changed in the Church when I became an adult....Think too many people were leaving the Church.... so they changed the rules:wah:...funny that...women had more opportunities:confused:

I do not believe in an afterlife and don't worry about it. I do worry about suffering though and putting my family and friends through heartache worrying about me.

Not believing in an afterlife does not worry me, but this is why I mourn so much when my loved ones die because I feel that I won't see them again.

It must be so comforting to the believers to know that you'll see your loved ones again in another life.

I don't know the purpose of life Ian because no one knows, and it really upsets me when religious zealots talk about religion as though they know the truth.

I only know if there is a Heaven and Hell that I will be in Heaven, as I try to be the best person that I can be. I guess that you could call me an agnostic because I'm not sure but am trying to keep an open mind about religion.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Death

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ian;1264976 wrote: Why are you concerned with "dignity" ? there is nothing more dignified than life.

Personal choice - if I were no longer able to perform basic bodily functions without someone to clean up after me, for example, I would feel that life held no dignity.
theia

Death

Post by theia »

Yes, Ian, I am afraid of dying. I've experienced panic attacks on and off for more years than I care to remember, and I've found that people who have these either think they're going crazy or dying. For me it's the latter. It feels very real that I'm going to die. Maybe, my fear is that of losing who I think I am.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Odie

Death

Post by Odie »

Not of dying, its what you go through before that moment that is frightening.

I fully believe death is just like being asleep.

none of this crap of angels meeting you and the lord or being with your loved ones.

and definitely not after-life, god doesn't recycle!:wah: ------even if there was one.
Life is just to short for drama.
Kathy Ellen

Death

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ian;1264983 wrote: Angelic nevertheless :)

What do you mean...explain please:wah:
Omni_Skittles

Death

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Nope, I'm young... I don't even think about it. My fears right now is not getting my internship this summer with Fox News :(
Smoke signals ftw!
Odie

Death

Post by Odie »

Ian;1264995 wrote: So Dreamland exists yeah ? :)

I believe so Ian, where else would we be, having dinner with god.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Death

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ian;1264996 wrote: It means nothing if I explain it..... :)

:confused: I've no clue as to what you mean...
Odie

Death

Post by Odie »

Ian;1264999 wrote: It's interesting that you naturally associate fear with death in your sentence..

live life to the full, no fear.

thing is to, how many young people die nowadays?
G#Gill

Death

Post by G#Gill »

Odie;1264984 wrote: Not of dying, its what you go through before that moment that is frightening.

I fully believe death is just like being asleep.

none of this crap of angels meeting you and the lord or being with your loved ones.

and definitely not after-life, god doesn't recycle!:wah: ------even if there was one.

Odie, how do you know? You are not even sure that there is a God ! No I'm not religious, I suppose I have an open mind about whether there is a God or not. I must be an agnostic, or whatever. But, for sure, I do believe that a person's 'soul' or 'spirit' remains and is not destroyed with the human body, upon death.

I am not afraid of death, only afraid of causing problems, heartache and worry to loved ones who may have to look after me if I am ill, and incapable. I am also concerned that the approach of death does not hurt too much, or if there is pain, that it is not long drawn out - you see basically I'm a flamin coward !

When my father had his own chemist shop, he had only owned it for about a year when an elderly lady from the Old Folks' Home came in (she used to visit the shop every day, mostly just to hear my dad's jokes !), and dad chatted and joked with her as usual. He said something funny, she burst out laughing and immediately collapsed to the floor ! Dad was shocked, of course, rushed to see if she was OK, and finding no pulse etc. quickly locked the shop door, grabbed a large piece of material and stuck it to the glass panelled door. When the doctor arrived a few minutes later, he told my dad that the lady was dead before she hit the floor, and what a wonderful way to go - to literally die laughing !

:):-6;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Death

Post by G#Gill »

Kathy Ellen;1265000 wrote: :confused: I've no clue as to what you mean...

Kathy, I think he means you behave like an angel, or what the human being perceives as an angel. He's right, of course ! :) :-6
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Death

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1265003 wrote: Odie, how do you know? You are not even sure that there is a God ! No I'm not religious, I suppose I have an open mind about whether there is a God or not. I must be an agnostic, or whatever. But, for sure, I do believe that a person's 'soul' or 'spirit' remains and is not destroyed with the human body, upon death.

I am not afraid of death, only afraid of causing problems, heartache and worry to loved ones who may have to look after me if I am ill, and incapable. I am also concerned that the approach of death does not hurt too much, or if there is pain, that it is not long drawn out - you see basically I'm a flamin coward !

When my father had his own chemist shop, he had only owned it for about a year when an elderly lady from the Old Folks' Home came in (she used to visit the shop every day, mostly just to hear my dad's jokes !), and dad chatted and joked with her as usual. He said something funny, she burst out laughing and immediately collapsed to the floor ! Dad was shocked, of course, rushed to see if she was OK, and finding no pulse etc. quickly locked the shop door, grabbed a large piece of material and stuck it to the glass panelled door. When the doctor arrived a few minutes later, he told my dad that the lady was dead before she hit the floor, and what a wonderful way to go - to literally die laughing !

:):-6;)

I don't believe in god. When one's life is over.....its over.

its just the way I think, there are to many what-ifs and the afterlife, its all speculation.
Kathy Ellen

Death

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;1265006 wrote: Kathy, I think he means you behave like an angel, or what the human being perceives as an angel. He's right, of course ! :) :-6

:wah:Thanks for answering me Gill:-6:guitarist
almostfamous

Death

Post by almostfamous »

I'm not afraid of death but the timing of it... I wouldn't want to pass before my parents because I couldn't imagine the pain they would feel. And, I would hope that it didn't happen for I was able to fully raise my son, leaving him does scare me and I need to know he'd be well taken care of.

I've often wondered if death would be easier to accept if you knew it were coming. I've thought about this more since my Nana was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The physical pain is obvious but I worry that she's also tormented with knowing it could be any day now. It definitely doesn't help that 4 out of 7 of my aunts and uncles are being complete jackasses right now and won't even come around her. I can't imagine what goes thru her mind especially with all of her children at one another's throats when they should be binding together.

Sorry I got a little off topic :o
Odie

Death

Post by Odie »

Ian;1265005 wrote: Anythings possible :wah:

so what is he having for dinner?:yh_rotfl
Omni_Skittles

Death

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ian;1264999 wrote: It's interesting that you naturally associate fear with death in your sentence..

live life to the full, no fear.well you asked if i was afraid of death. so i answered no. But i did tell you what a fear of mine is. Success. Death comes to everyone!!! And i am bound to be so awesome that when i die people will be like darn another awesome person bites the dust... haha
Smoke signals ftw!
AussiePam

Death

Post by AussiePam »

I'm sending you a trillion good wishes for the internship, Omni!!!

(And can I please have your autograph?)

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

mrsK

Death

Post by mrsK »

I am not afraid of death................Yet.

As it gets nearer I may have a different answer for you.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
AussiePam

Death

Post by AussiePam »

Denial is good.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

hoppy

Death

Post by hoppy »

It looks like the government now in power in the USA, wants to kill us. :(
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Death

Post by Bryn Mawr »

hoppy;1265117 wrote: It looks like the government now in power in the USA, wants to kill us. :(

Does that comment come out of the contents of this thread or is there something else that you'd like to bring to our attention?
hoppy

Death

Post by hoppy »

Bryn Mawr;1265127 wrote: Does that comment come out of the contents of this thread or is there something else that you'd like to bring to our attention?

I'm just spouting off what's on my mind, not unlike yourself.:wah:
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Death

Post by Bryn Mawr »

hoppy;1265135 wrote: I'm just spouting off what's on my mind, not unlike yourself.:wah:

Just thought it might be interesting to have some basis to discuss the point you raised :)
hoppy

Death

Post by hoppy »

Bryn Mawr;1265138 wrote: Just thought it might be interesting to have some basis to discuss the point you raised :)

I'd love to stay and spar with you, but I have to go out to collect a small lottery win. Then, I'll be sipping a cold beer or three. Ta-ta.:)
Saint_

Death

Post by Saint_ »

Hoppy... I'll post my story, take it for what it's worth.

For a year, I was getting sicker. The doctors couldn't figure it out. I felt like I was filed with wet cement, I was getting stiffer and stiffer, and the pain was incredible. (They tell me now that it compares to childbirth) By the time the year was up, I literally couldn't walk. I had to use a cane and I could barely shuffle, and if I sat down, I couldn't get up. I was even beginning to have trouble focusing my eyes. Since I couldn't eat due to the pain, I had lost over 70 lbs. and looked like a Holocaust survivor. My friends told me I looked like a living skeleton.

One night, about midnight, I woke with a terrible feeling. I was sick! Something was desperately wrong with me! Not just the pain I had been feeling, but something much, much worse! I tried to call out to my wife, but my voice wouldn't work. I fell out of the bed and managed to crawl upwards to a standing position using the dresser handles. As I stood there holding on to the dresser, suddenly...I was outside my body!

I was standing behind myself. I could see the back of my own head. And that's weird, because usually you don't get to see that angle. I was looking at the curls that I have back there and my first thought was, "Geez, I need a haircut."

Then, my body lost its hold on the dresser, fingernails scratching the top as the body collapsed heavily to the floor in a heap. It didn't even try to catch itself. I stood there shocked thinking, "Wow, that looked like it hurt!"

Then I realized it...I was outside my body. The recognition was instant and hit me like a wave. Suddenly, I was afraid to move. I felt like I might pop myself like a soap bubble. I turned my "head" slowly to the left...the room was quiet. My wife was still in the bed, sleeping softly. A feeling washed over me. It was a feeling of calm and peace. I was so relieved, the pain of my body was completely gone, I thought, "Oh MAN, that feels so much BETTER!" (I hadn't truly realized just how much pain I had been in until it was lifted.)

Then I saw them....

They looked a lot like candle flames, larger at the bottom and tapering to a smaller and rounded top, but not flickering at all, just softly glowing a warm, white light. They were a little bigger than a football and were hovering all around the room at various heights.

I kept scanning and noticed that they were also out on the lawn, and in the street. Through the trees, I could see that they were even on the next block. There were thousands of them! That's when I suddenly realized I was looking right through the wall! Now, you have to understand, this was not some hazy, out of focus vision. Everything was crystal clear. The details of the room were crisp, even more than normal; my sight seemed to have improved.

I realized that these were people, and that they were my people. I wonder, "Why do I have so many people?" The answer came to me as a thought, "down the generations” I got it right away, a family goes back in time thousands of years, these were all my people from all time.

For what seemed like an eternity, I stood there, feeling literally nothing, not hot or cold or anything, and drinking in the sensation of being free of the pain. I don't remember breathing, though. I wasn't hungry, thirsty, or anything else in fact. Funny thing that.

The little candles flames did nothing however. They seemed to be waiting for something.

But I still felt the love coming from them.

I looked to my left slowly, to see my body huddled on the floor motionless. The next second there was a flash of light and BAM! I was back in my body. I was a little disoriented and it took a second for me to realized where I was, the angle was strange as I could see under the bed and the room was very dark again. I realized I was back in my body. My first thought was, "Damn! That DID hurt!" My body was aching in a hundred places from the fall and the pain had returned.

My wife heard my moans and woke up. I told her to take me to the hospital and with great effort we managed to drag my body to the car and drive to the hospital.

The doctors told me that I had had a "coronary incident" and that my heart had stopped beating for as much as two minutes. (I didn't suffer any brain damage, though, since I'm an avid swimmer, and can hold my breath easily for that amount of time.) Since I had technically "died", they decided there might actually be something wrong with me.

They ran 300 blood tests, every one in the book. When they came back the answer was as clear as a bell...RA. Rheumatoid Arthritis, the worst kind. It's not just an inflammation of the joints; it's the exact opposite of AIDS and in the old days, every bit as lethal. My own white blood cells could no longer tell the difference between bad bacteria and my own tissues. They were literally eating me alive.

Once they got to the internal organs, I suffered the heart attack. It was no problem after that, a dose of steroids, an autoimmune suppressor and I was literally dancing a jig (on atrophied muscles) by the end of the day.

I'm back to normal now, a strapping, barrel-chested 230 lbs. I can swim, run a short distance, and I'm even hoping to ski again this year. But I'm changed in a big way. I really never took life for granted, I always knew that every day was precious, but now it's not an abstract concept to me. I smell the flowers. I ride my bike, I make sure to kiss my girl and tell her I love her every day. I made a tire swing for my grandchildren and I swing in it myself every chance I get.

I was certainly never afraid of death, but it's different now. I find it of infinite comfort to know that you don't cease to exist when your body dies. I had faith before, but it's infinitely stronger now. God was very kind to me for some reason.

I guess I still have something to do here! :o
Omni_Skittles

Death

Post by Omni_Skittles »

AussiePam;1265061 wrote: I'm sending you a trillion good wishes for the internship, Omni!!!

(And can I please have your autograph?)

:sneaky:lol, I'm not going to be like the anchors, i want to be the one people have to answer to, the producer lol or even owner someday. I want to be able to hire people to influence. So i'll start by holding doors open for the big dogs... for now haha
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Death

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Saint_;1265176 wrote: Hoppy... I'll post my story, take it for what it's worth.

For a year, I was getting sicker. The doctors couldn't figure it out. I felt like I was filed with wet cement, I was getting stiffer and stiffer, and the pain was incredible. (They tell me now that it compares to childbirth) By the time the year was up, I literally couldn't walk. I had to use a cane and I could barely shuffle, and if I sat down, I couldn't get up. I was even beginning to have trouble focusing my eyes. Since I couldn't eat due to the pain, I had lost over 70 lbs. and looked like a Holocaust survivor. My friends told me I looked like a living skeleton.

One night, about midnight, I woke with a terrible feeling. I was sick! Something was desperately wrong with me! Not just the pain I had been feeling, but something much, much worse! I tried to call out to my wife, but my voice wouldn't work. I fell out of the bed and managed to crawl upwards to a standing position using the dresser handles. As I stood there holding on to the dresser, suddenly...I was outside my body!

I was standing behind myself. I could see the back of my own head. And that's weird, because usually you don't get to see that angle. I was looking at the curls that I have back there and my first thought was, "Geez, I need a haircut."

Then, my body lost its hold on the dresser, fingernails scratching the top as the body collapsed heavily to the floor in a heap. It didn't even try to catch itself. I stood there shocked thinking, "Wow, that looked like it hurt!"

Then I realized it...I was outside my body. The recognition was instant and hit me like a wave. Suddenly, I was afraid to move. I felt like I might pop myself like a soap bubble. I turned my "head" slowly to the left...the room was quiet. My wife was still in the bed, sleeping softly. A feeling washed over me. It was a feeling of calm and peace. I was so relieved, the pain of my body was completely gone, I thought, "Oh MAN, that feels so much BETTER!" (I hadn't truly realized just how much pain I had been in until it was lifted.)

Then I saw them....

They looked a lot like candle flames, larger at the bottom and tapering to a smaller and rounded top, but not flickering at all, just softly glowing a warm, white light. They were a little bigger than a football and were hovering all around the room at various heights.

I kept scanning and noticed that they were also out on the lawn, and in the street. Through the trees, I could see that they were even on the next block. There were thousands of them! That's when I suddenly realized I was looking right through the wall! Now, you have to understand, this was not some hazy, out of focus vision. Everything was crystal clear. The details of the room were crisp, even more than normal; my sight seemed to have improved.

I realized that these were people, and that they were my people. I wonder, "Why do I have so many people?" The answer came to me as a thought, "down the generations” I got it right away, a family goes back in time thousands of years, these were all my people from all time.

For what seemed like an eternity, I stood there, feeling literally nothing, not hot or cold or anything, and drinking in the sensation of being free of the pain. I don't remember breathing, though. I wasn't hungry, thirsty, or anything else in fact. Funny thing that.

The little candles flames did nothing however. They seemed to be waiting for something.

But I still felt the love coming from them.

I looked to my left slowly, to see my body huddled on the floor motionless. The next second there was a flash of light and BAM! I was back in my body. I was a little disoriented and it took a second for me to realized where I was, the angle was strange as I could see under the bed and the room was very dark again. I realized I was back in my body. My first thought was, "Damn! That DID hurt!" My body was aching in a hundred places from the fall and the pain had returned.

My wife heard my moans and woke up. I told her to take me to the hospital and with great effort we managed to drag my body to the car and drive to the hospital.

The doctors told me that I had had a "coronary incident" and that my heart had stopped beating for as much as two minutes. (I didn't suffer any brain damage, though, since I'm an avid swimmer, and can hold my breath easily for that amount of time.) Since I had technically "died", they decided there might actually be something wrong with me.

They ran 300 blood tests, every one in the book. When they came back the answer was as clear as a bell...RA. Rheumatoid Arthritis, the worst kind. It's not just an inflammation of the joints; it's the exact opposite of AIDS and in the old days, every bit as lethal. My own white blood cells could no longer tell the difference between bad bacteria and my own tissues. They were literally eating me alive.

Once they got to the internal organs, I suffered the heart attack. It was no problem after that, a dose of steroids, an autoimmune suppressor and I was literally dancing a jig (on atrophied muscles) by the end of the day.

I'm back to normal now, a strapping, barrel-chested 230 lbs. I can swim, run a short distance, and I'm even hoping to ski again this year. But I'm changed in a big way. I really never took life for granted, I always knew that every day was precious, but now it's not an abstract concept to me. I smell the flowers. I ride my bike, I make sure to kiss my girl and tell her I love her every day. I made a tire swing for my grandchildren and I swing in it myself every chance I get.

I was certainly never afraid of death, but it's different now. I find it of infinite comfort to know that you don't cease to exist when your body dies. I had faith before, but it's infinitely stronger now. God was very kind to me for some reason.

I guess I still have something to do here! :oThat's tight!!!! :D
Smoke signals ftw!

Return to “General Chit Chat”