Windows7

flopstock

Windows7

Post by flopstock »

New machine got dropped off for me here yesterday morning and I've been so swamped at another location it's still sitting here patiently, waiting for me to unpack it and fire it up.

I'm proud to say only one VISTA ever crossed the thresh-hold of this place under my watch... and I have personally never owned one.:D

I'm hearing good stuff about this 7... hopefully only good things in the future. In any case, I'm taking it home tonight to set up and play with.

Stay tuned...:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snowfire

Windows7

Post by Snowfire »

I've had it a few weeks now and initially thought I might regret leaving behind the old XP. Nothing of the sort. Runs great, looks great and I'm sure there's lots of bells and whistles to discover and play with

Not sure yet about the Media Center but maybe thats just me...it usually is
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Windows7

Post by CARLA »

Oh boy I envy you. I'm going to order a new machine for my home with Windows 7 can't wait. Just remember your printers may fall to windows 7 if they don't plug and play or there isn't drivers for them.

I'm installing it on my Sister new Laptop this weekend she was entitled to a free upgrade. :-6

I can say I have never let VISTA in to my offices at work either, I never will. I do have it on a laptop at home I haven't had 1 problem with it so far.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Windows7

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ran the Windows7 Beta and was pleasantly surprised (compared to my initial view of Vista before I banned it and with my experience of XP) but still prefer Ubuntu.

Could possibly be persuaded to install it on the home machine when that becomes unmaintainable but the machine at the flat just keeps running clean and updates itself as necessary.
G-man

Windows7

Post by G-man »

I got "happy" too! :wah: I'm so glad to be done with Vista and I only had it for several months!

I had one of the last Vista computers (64bit) with the Media Center and found it rather handy... although, I am always accidentally popping it up when I inadvertantly brush the touchscreen. :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Chezzie

Windows7

Post by Chezzie »

We have vista on the 3 laptops and have had no problems at all.

Does Windows 7 need as much gig as the Vista to run?
CARLA

Windows7

Post by CARLA »

Here is a link to the "Windows 7 Advisor Tool" it will tell you everything you need to know if you think you might want to upgrade to 7 from VISTA. 7 actually takes about the same or more but is more efficient that VISTA. Graphics card may need upgrading as well as everything you plug into it printers, scanners etc may all need compatible drivers.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

flopstock

Windows7

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1263982 wrote: Here is a link to the "Windows 7 Advisor Tool" it will tell you everything you need to know if you think you might want to upgrade to 7 from VISTA. 7 actually takes about the same or more but is more efficient that VISTA. Graphics card may need upgrading as well as everything you plug into it printers, scanners etc may all need compatible drivers.

I had someone with a vista machine and and they were told it is best to do a clean install rather then attempt to upgrade the vista environment. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but that piece of crap is going to be a pain even years after it is gone..:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Windows7

Post by CARLA »

You are correct that is what I will be doing with my sister laptop her VISTA environment was unstable from the get go bad install to begin with. I have been moving everything to a external hard drive as she has a ton of personal stuff. ;)

[QUOTE]I had someone with a vista machine and and they were told it is best to do a clean install rather then attempt to upgrade the vista environment.

I'm sorry, but that piece of crap is going to be a pain even years after it is gone..[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

YZGI

Windows7

Post by YZGI »

I have a Vista machine that screws up half the programs I install, it also won't accept some programs I use at work. I ended up putting it on the front counter (where it is seldom used) as a backup for information from the more used computers that we use for book work, catalogs, mailist etc. etc.
CARLA

Windows7

Post by CARLA »

You my friend have a bad VISTA install as well. Sometimes just doing a clean install of whatever version of VISTA you have solves the problem, or not. ;) Or you can reformat the hard drive and if you have it install WINDOWS XP. If your machine is fairly new run the "Windows 7 Advisor" and see if your machine can handle WINDOWS 7.

[QUOTE]I have a Vista machine that screws up half the programs I install, it also won't accept some programs I use at work. I ended up putting it on the front counter (where it is seldom used) as a backup for information from the more used computers that we use for book work, catalogs, mailist etc. etc.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

YZGI

Windows7

Post by YZGI »

CARLA;1264006 wrote: You my friend have a bad VISTA install as well. Sometimes just doing a clean install of whatever version of VISTA you have solves the problem, or not. ;) Or you can reformat the hard drive and if you have it install WINDOWS XP. If your machine is fairly new run the "Windows 7 Advisor" and see if your machine can handle WINDOWS 7.
Thanks, I'll try that.
yaaarrrgg

Windows7

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Windows 7 is on cycle to be a good release. With Windows 98, Microsoft was just selling a giant bug fix to Windows 95. XP was more or less a giant bug fix for ME. And 7 is a bug fix for Vista. Seems like every other one is a hit and miss. They make the disease, then re-sell people the cure to it. IMO Microsoft should be giving away the "new" OS along with an apology to Vista customers. :)
cars

Windows7

Post by cars »

Well I went & did it, I ordered the free "Windows 7" upgrade kit I was told I was entitled to when I bought my "HP" PC with the lousy *^%%$## VISTA at the end of July! I filled out the form with all the pertinent info, submitted a copy of my reciept, and should be getting my disc's within a couple of weeks! (We'll see) At least I got this far (Me, the great procrastinator, I'm actually ahead for once) as the "free offer expires January 31, 2010.
Cars :)
CARLA

Windows7

Post by CARLA »

You won't regret it Cars it is pretty sweet I just put it on my sister laptop if you like XP you will love Window 7.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

cars

Windows7

Post by cars »

CARLA;1267874 wrote: You won't regret it Cars it is pretty sweet I just put it on my sister laptop if you like XP you will love Window 7.
I remember you mentioned that before CARLA when I first got my new puter, & yes I liked XP. I think you even posted a link to a windows 7 demo by two puter weenies, that raved about it. I saved the link, & will review it again when I get my "7" kit. So . . . .
Lon

Windows7

Post by Lon »

I have been going through the keyboard shortcuts on Windows 7-----Pretty cool stuff.
YZGI

Windows7

Post by YZGI »

cars;1267853 wrote: Well I went & did it, I ordered the free "Windows 7" upgrade kit I was told I was entitled to when I bought my "HP" PC with the lousy *^%%$## VISTA at the end of July! I filled out the form with all the pertinent info, submitted a copy of my reciept, and should be getting my disc's within a couple of weeks! (We'll see) At least I got this far (Me, the great procrastinator, I'm actually ahead for once) as the "free offer expires January 31, 2010.
Where did you do this at? I would like to see if I qaulify for it. Thanks.
LarsMac

Windows7

Post by LarsMac »

Well, that didn't take long.

Windows 7 "screen of death"

I have talked to a few techies that are very impressed with Win7

I am planning to load it up on my gaming rig.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Windows7

Post by flopstock »

Swear to god I'm gonna open that box this week, I don't care if the radio broadcasts dead air or the plate server has gone belly up!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

It's like it my equipment knows I've been looking for play time...:thinking::p:yh_rotfl

cars

Windows7

Post by cars »

YZGI;1268019 wrote: Where did you do this at? I would like to see if I qaulify for it. Thanks.
It tells you at the site, (mine was www.HP.com, cause my new PC is a "HP" brand) that HP PC's bought between June thru November 2009 with VISTA, qualifies for a free windows 7 upgrade, when 7 came out. Windows 7 came out 10/22/09. Good luck!
LarsMac

Windows7

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac;1268054 wrote: Well, that didn't take long.

Windows 7 "screen of death"

I have talked to a few techies that are very impressed with Win7

I am planning to load it up on my gaming rig.

An update

BBC News - Malware suspected of 'Black Screen' issue

And it appears to be across the board in Windoze product line
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Windows7

Post by YZGI »

cars;1268135 wrote: It tells you at the site, (mine was www.HP.com, cause my new PC is a "HP" brand) that HP PC's bought between June thru November 2009 with VISTA, qualifies for a free windows 7 upgrade, when 7 came out. Windows 7 came out 10/22/09. Good luck!
Thanks, mine is a dell. I will head to their website.
yaaarrrgg

Windows7

Post by yaaarrrgg »

LarsMac;1268372 wrote: An update

BBC News - Malware suspected of 'Black Screen' issue

And it appears to be across the board in Windoze product line

Microsoft denies blame here, but I can confirm it's real, since I spent several hours working on a computer belonging wife's mother. It was completely clean on the virus scan. But even if it is malware, it's still Microsoft's fault for all the security holes that enable malware infection.

She and I got the same result. I restored the system, Microsoft installed 10 updates, then it wouldn't boot up normally.

I think it's awfully suspicious that this occurred during the biggest shopping week of the year, when they are pushing a new product. A lot of people would just buy a new computer rather than pay to fix an older one. It would be a very clever way to sell a couple hundred thousand more computers, and blame it on an honest mistake.

Hopefully in the next version of Windows 8, users will be allowed to customize what color "screen of death" they want. Currently it's limited to just black and blue. ;)
cars

Windows7

Post by cars »

cars;1267853 wrote: Well I went & did it, I ordered the free "Windows 7" upgrade kit I was told I was entitled to when I bought my "HP" PC with the lousy *^%%$## VISTA at the end of July! I filled out the form with all the pertinent info, submitted a copy of my reciept, and should be getting my disc's within a couple of weeks! (We'll see) At least I got this far (Me, the great procrastinator, I'm actually ahead for once) as the "free offer expires January 31, 2010.
Well it was true, UPS just delivered my "Free" Windows 7 disc kit here to me in the Sunshine state!!! However, it will have to wait till around sometime in May before I can install it in my Northern NE villa's PC! :) (But I got it)
whomeno

Windows7

Post by whomeno »

I for one would be intrested in hearing more of this windows 7.

Because i need a 64 bit OS and for somethings i do need "swinedows"

and my 64-bit XP isint liked by "macrosh*t" one bit.

MSN installer for example isint compatible nor can i run IIS etc long list.

It is looking like a tornado hit the file system lol.

The whole os and programs is more like a big patched up chuck of files that might or might not run when needed.

Well when i do need to actually do something i just boot my Backtrack 4 usb stick and get things done in minutes :)

Now then if this windows 7 is good i would need to modify a disk to suit a USB installer as i have denouced all things related to CD /DVD disks lol
NO LINKS IN SIGNATURE IT HAS BEEN REMOVED
spot

Windows7

Post by spot »

What does a 64 bit OS do for you that a 32 bit OS doesn't? It would be interesting to see a timing trial that said it was faster, for example, and if so for what type of application. I don't see how it can be for the ones I use. I've seen a few reviews but nobody's pushed speed as a reason to get it, nobody's really given any impressive reason at all other than that it's swanky.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
whomeno

Windows7

Post by whomeno »

32 bit has memory limit.

simple as that.

and most of the software i use is 64 bit only.
NO LINKS IN SIGNATURE IT HAS BEEN REMOVED
spot

Windows7

Post by spot »

And the memory limit is 4GB less overheads? I think I once had a computer with 2GB of memory but I gave it away, this I'm typing on is a single processor Athlon with 1GB. I've never touched a desktop computer with more than 4GB of memory installed or more than a quad processor - that's slicker, certainly, than mine but not 16 times slicker, not even 4 times, and the difference isn't in its running a 64 bit OS.

If I had any data file bigger than that limit then it's easier to program access to it in a 64 bit environment. Not faster, just easier to code.

Other than that I'm not sure what practical advantage there is in buying 64 bit software and installing a 64 bit OS to run it. It takes more room, it's slower to load, I'd not be surprised if the vendors charge more for it too. Which is why I asked about your own experience with it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Computers Internet”