Canning

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Peg

Canning

Post by Peg »

When I was single, I used to can. Now that I am older, I'm too busy and in too much pain to can. What do you grow in your garden and can? I used to do tomatoes, hot and green peppers in tomato sauce, hot pepper rings, and pickles.
hoppy

Canning

Post by hoppy »

Never canned anything myself but being a war baby, (1940) with my dad away helping kill Germans, i remember the canning parties at my granny's house. Gramps had a huge garden space. He grew lots of tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, onions, peppers etc. Granny, mom and an aunt would can all they could. They "cold packed" meat too. Gramps had chickens and rabbits. A couple uncles who were too old to go to the military hunted ducks, geese and deer until they used up all their ammo and couldn't get more.

I remember the womenfolk making jellies and jams out of wild grapes, elderberries and wild blackberries and any fruit they could get.

Excuse me for rambling again.
Chezzie

Canning

Post by Chezzie »

Is canning like jammin?:D

Iv'e pickled lots in jars, onions, shallots, red cabbage and beetroot:p
Ahso!

Canning

Post by Ahso! »

Peg;1263108 wrote: When I was single, I used to can. Now that I am older, I'm too busy and in too much pain to can. What do you grow in your garden and can? I used to do tomatoes, hot and green peppers in tomato sauce, hot pepper rings, and pickles.Only autistic people can can so obsessively, Peg. You didn't know that?:yh_rotfl
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Canning

Post by flopstock »

Chezzie;1263123 wrote: Is canning like jammin?:D

Iv'e pickled lots in jars, onions, shallots, red cabbage and beetroot:p

what do you do with red cabbage?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Chezzie

Canning

Post by Chezzie »

flopstock;1263232 wrote: what do you do with red cabbage?

Dont tell me you never had pickled red cabbage Flops?

Its my fav fav thing, lovely with stews, cheese especially cottage cheese, meats, oh I can just sit and eat it on its own lol.

Makes 1 large jar

ingredients

1 red cabbage

pickling vinegar

salt

method

1. Take a red cabbage, cut off the coarse outer leaves and shred it finely, leaving out the core.

2. Spread it on a large meat dish and salt it well. Leave it for 24 hours.

3. Next day wash it and put it in jars.

4. Cover it with pickling vinegar.

5. Leave it for at least one week before eating it.

to make homemade spicing vinegar

1. Add to 1 litre of vinegar, 5-10g of each of the following whole spices: cloves, allspice, cinnamon, white peppercorns, ginger. The smaller quantity will be enough for a mild pickle but for strongly flavoured ones such as onion, the full quantity may be used.

2. Put the spices in a folded cloth and beat them lightly with a rolling-pin to release their flavour.

3. Put the bruised spices into the vinegar and seal the bottle.

4. It may be more convenient to add a double or treble quantity of spices and dilute later with more vinegar, but label the container accordingly if this is done.

5. If time allows, leave the spices in the well-sealed bottle of vinegar for 2 months, shaking daily for the first month.

6. Strain out the spices carefully and re-bottle the vinegar.

to make quick spicing vinegar

1. Place the spices and vinegar in a heatproof bowl and cover with a plate.

2. Stand the bowl in a saucepan of cold water, bring the water gently to the boil and draw the pan off the heat.

3. Leave for 2 hours, taking care not to move the plate or flavour will be lost.

4. Strain the vinegar and, if not required immediately, return to the bottle and seal.

You can use white cabbage too :D

Im addicted to pickled stuff but iv'e never tried a pickled egg:-3
lberna

Canning

Post by lberna »

I don't can veggies but I make fig preserves and mayhaw jelly. I do not mash the figs, I leave them whole and cook in sugar and water for a couple of hours. I call them gold nuggets. When my granddaughter was about 8 years old, she would say "I want a ham sandwich and 3 preserved figs." :)
leehydro007

Canning

Post by leehydro007 »

I do not use canned food as its taste does not look nice to me...atleast to me...Although my other family members do use it and have no issues with it but I really can not adjust with the canned food...I do not know why...:mad:
EdisonCheug

Canning

Post by EdisonCheug »

Chezzie;1263284 wrote: Dont tell me you never had pickled red cabbage Flops?

Its my fav fav thing, lovely with stews, cheese especially cottage cheese, meats, oh I can just sit and eat it on its own lol.

Makes 1 large jar

ingredients

1 red cabbage

pickling vinegar

salt

method

1. Take a red cabbage, cut off the coarse outer leaves and shred it finely, leaving out the core.

2. Spread it on a large meat dish and salt it well. Leave it for 24 hours.

3. Next day wash it and put it in jars.

4. Cover it with pickling vinegar.

5. Leave it for at least one week before eating it.

to make homemade spicing vinegar

1. Add to 1 litre of vinegar, 5-10g of each of the following whole spices: cloves, allspice, cinnamon, white peppercorns, ginger. The smaller quantity will be enough for a mild pickle but for strongly flavoured ones such as onion, the full quantity may be used.

2. Put the spices in a folded cloth and beat them lightly with a rolling-pin to release their flavour.

3. Put the bruised spices into the vinegar and seal the bottle.

4. It may be more convenient to add a double or treble quantity of spices and dilute later with more vinegar, but label the container accordingly if this is done.

5. If time allows, leave the spices in the well-sealed bottle of vinegar for 2 months, shaking daily for the first month.

6. Strain out the spices carefully and re-bottle the vinegar.

to make quick spicing vinegar

1. Place the spices and vinegar in a heatproof bowl and cover with a plate.

2. Stand the bowl in a saucepan of cold water, bring the water gently to the boil and draw the pan off the heat.

3. Leave for 2 hours, taking care not to move the plate or flavour will be lost.

4. Strain the vinegar and, if not required immediately, return to the bottle and seal.

You can use white cabbage too :D

Im addicted to pickled stuff but iv'e never tried a pickled egg:-3

wow, thanks for sharing the information.

it's quite useful for me.
fuzzywuzzy

Canning

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Never canned but I do bottle and jar. (Fowlers Vacola)

one of my favourite sites Home Preserving Jars - Green Living Australia

you can blanche and freeze cabbage
Peg

Canning

Post by Peg »

I was planning on canning tomatoes this year until I broke my leg. My good leg gets too tired standing there. Oh well, there's always next year.
flopstock

Canning

Post by flopstock »

Peg;1323540 wrote: I was planning on canning tomatoes this year until I broke my leg. My good leg gets too tired standing there. Oh well, there's always next year.

freeze them. someone wrote about that in another thread and I remembered my neighbor lady used to do it.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Peg

Canning

Post by Peg »

I think I may try that.
Odie

Canning

Post by Odie »

Peg;1323544 wrote: I think I may try that.

It's much easier, I do it every year, just cut them and put into freezer bags.
Life is just to short for drama.
Tan

Canning

Post by Tan »

I just did a batch of spicy pickled beans.(green beans, dill, garlic, vinegar, hot peppers, etc, etc)

mmmmm. Theyre so good with bloody caesers!
Tan
flopstock

Canning

Post by flopstock »

Tan;1329096 wrote: I just did a batch of spicy pickled beans.(green beans, dill, garlic, vinegar, hot peppers, etc, etc)

mmmmm. Theyre so good with bloody caesers!

Just stumbled over this... what is a bloody ceasers? A ceasers with tomatoes?

Peg

Canning

Post by Peg »

Our tomatoes didn't do well enough to can any. :(
flopstock

Canning

Post by flopstock »

Peg;1331820 wrote: Our tomatoes didn't do well enough to can any. :(
I usually plant in two area of the garden and one of the two does great. This year both spots did great and I was lugging bags of tomatoes into my trainer who cans and the ladies at work who can..... all after I'd made my salsa and spaghetti sauce and sauce. I even froze a few to see how that goes.

Now, peppers, not so much after the first go through... they just kinda fizzed out on me this year

Return to “Gardening Forum”