Please sign my Anti pollution petition to Downing Street

Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

All anglers and those who care about our waterways should sign this petition to put pressure on the government to increase the fines to a deterent level. The fines currently imposed are just small change to these big companies.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/pollutionfines/

Many thanks,

Peter Lake
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Done :D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Peter Lake;1261429 wrote: All anglers and those who care about our waterways should sign this petition to put pressure on the government to increase the fines to a deterent level. The fines currently imposed are just small change to these big companies.

Petition to: introduce serious penalties for serious water pollution. | Number10.gov.uk

Many thanks,

Peter Lake

Not enough information - what was the cause of the spillage? How were ST (ir)responsible? Who is the legislation to target? Who would police the proposed legislation? What powers are proposed?

Much as I'm concerned about the state of or waterways, as it stands, the petition is unsupportable because it is so woolly as to be meaningless.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Bryn Mawr;1261438 wrote: Not enough information - what was the cause of the spillage? How were ST (ir)responsible? Who is the legislation to target? Who would police the proposed legislation? What powers are proposed?

Much as I'm concerned about the state of or waterways, as it stands, the petition is unsupportable because it is so woolly as to be meaningless. The cause of the spillage can be varied depending on the type of company held accountable for the spillage. This list gives recent prosecutions and fines.

Enquiries

All we are asking is that companies who by their own admission profit by millions per year are fined accordingly for destroying an eco system of our waterways. The fine needs to reflect the profit the company makes and the years it takes the stretch of river to recover.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Peter Lake;1261454 wrote: The cause of the spillage can be varied depending on the type of company held accountable for the spillage. This list gives recent prosecutions and fines.

Enquiries

All we are asking is that companies who by their own admission profit by millions per year are fined accordingly for destroying an eco system of our waterways. The fine needs to reflect the profit the company makes and the years it takes the stretch of river to recover.

The petition cites STW for polluting the Trent - no details of how they were responsible or how badly the river was polluted.

It then says they were only fined £6,500 and goes on to say that, as their turnover runs into millions, this is a miscarriage of justice.

Sorry, without more detail I cannot support the conclusion.

It could have been a pint or diesel spilt whilst refilling an inspection launch after all of the local marinas stopped supplying it because it is no longer economic after the government doubled the price.

On the other hand it could have been worst than the 600,000 gallons of raw sewage that Thames Water released last year.

Without supporting evidence the petition is a place to let off steam - it feels good but will achieve nothing.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Bryn Mawr;1261459 wrote: The petition cites STW for polluting the Trent - no details of how they were responsible or how badly the river was polluted.

It then says they were only fined £6,500 and goes on to say that, as their turnover runs into millions, this is a miscarriage of justice.

Sorry, without more detail I cannot support the conclusion.

It could have been a pint or diesel spilt whilst refilling an inspection launch after all of the local marinas stopped supplying it because it is no longer economic after the government doubled the price.

On the other hand it could have been worst than the 600,000 gallons of raw sewage that Thames Water released last year.

Without supporting evidence the petition is a place to let off steam - it feels good but will achieve nothing.
This link should give you the imformation related to the river Trent.

Environment Agency - Severn Trent Water fined for pollution offence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Peter Lake;1261463 wrote: This link should give you the imformation related to the river Trent.

Environment Agency - Severn Trent Water fined for pollution offence

Thanks for the link, I'll read it properly when I get home from work but, on first scan, I wouldn't have recognised it from what description there was in the petition.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”