Excuse me?

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
Rapunzel

Excuse me?

Post by Rapunzel »

Having just got a new (for me) car, I spent yesterday sorting out insurance for it.

I phoned the local insurance company and talked to (quite a rude) young lady (?) well, female person who asked if I wanted "Fully Comprehensive or Fird Party, Fire and Feft?"

Excuse me?

She said "Do yer want Fully Comprehensive or Fird Party, Fire and Feft?"

I'm sorry, what?? :-2

She must have thought I was deaf because I had to keep saying "Excuse me?" or "Sorry, could you say that again?"

Her slang-English was so appalling I could barely understand half of what she said!

Is it just me?

If you're interested she was actually asking if I wanted Fully Comprehensive insurance or Third Party, Fire and Theft"

:-2 :-5

I've recently had a letter from the Letting Agents whom I rent from telling me I need to have a house inspection which is due "twice a year or every 6 months"

And the difference is? :-2

I think it's appalling that people in quite responsible jobs can barely string a sentence together these days, either verbally or in writing.

Where will this craziness all end?

:-2
Oscar Namechange

Excuse me?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I totally agree with you. This country seems to have a nation of semi-illiterate answering phones in call centres.

The worst I find are the teenagers. When I'm in the take-away at weekends, most can barely string a sentence together. Even last night, one lad asked me what I thought was 'Do you take cheques'? He was actually asking if we sold curry and chips.

Where have the standards gone?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
hoppy

Excuse me?

Post by hoppy »

Rapunzel;1248991 wrote: Having just got a new (for me) car, I spent yesterday sorting out insurance for it.

I phoned the local insurance company and talked to (quite a rude) young lady (?) well, female person who asked if I wanted "Fully Comprehensive or Fird Party, Fire and Feft?"

Excuse me?

She must have thought I was deaf because I had to keep saying "Excuse me?" or "Sorry, could you say that again?"

Her slang-English was so appalling I could barely understand half of what she said!

Is it just me?

If you're interested she was actually asking if I wanted Fully Comprehensive insurance or Third Party, Fire and Theft"

I've recently had a letter from the Letting Agents whom I rent from telling me I need to have a house inspection which is due "twice a year or every 6 months"

I think it's appalling that people in quite responsible jobs can barely string a sentence together these days, either verbally or in writing.

Comes from all that texting.
Odie

Excuse me?

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1248991 wrote: Having just got a new (for me) car, I spent yesterday sorting out insurance for it.

Excuse me?

Is it just me?

think about it --all of us have accents....worldwide...yup, even in Canada and the US.;)

I can barely understand the English accents overseas.

she had no idea her English wasn't perfect.:(

next time, just ask nicely to speak to someone else.
Life is just to short for drama.
Hugh Janus

Excuse me?

Post by Hugh Janus »

I think that it's about time that the people who do the employing in call centres actually listened to the people that they employ. I once had to phone the DVLA in Swansea. The woman who answered the phone had such a thick welsh accent that it was impossible for me, (a northerner) to even begin to understand. The same goes for phoning BT and getting answered in a strong Geordie accent. I can also say that I have had the same happen to me when I have been driving in different parts of the country and have stopped to buy a sandwich. People just can't understand me. I don't understand what's so hard about, "Al av a bacon sarnie an a cuppacoffee please mate."...:wah:
Raven

Excuse me?

Post by Raven »

Excuse me?

Is it just me?

:yh_rotfl INNIT!!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Raven

Excuse me?

Post by Raven »

Odie;1249042 wrote: think about it --all of us have accents....worldwide...yup, even in Canada and the US.;)

Aw geez eh?:-6
hoppy

Excuse me?

Post by hoppy »

Had a friend from Southern Oklahoma. He was telling me about fishing and said using anise oil on the bait sometimes worked. I didn't know there was such a thing as anise oil but the way he said it was "anisall". I looked everywhere in the drug stores for "anisall". A druggist finally clued me in. Said to look in the supermarket spice section for anise oil.:o
Rapunzel

Excuse me?

Post by Rapunzel »

Odie;1249042 wrote: think about it --all of us have accents....worldwide...yup, even in Canada and the US.;)

Funnily enough I DID ask nicely to speak to someone else. I spoke to a chap earlier in the week who had answered some questions I had and said to call him back when I was ready. However, when I asked for him Ms. Rude just said "E's on the uvva phone" and started bombarding me with questions regarding my policy. Basically they work on commision and she didn't want to just hand over her commission to someone else.

And did she get my custom?

Not a chance! :-5
Rapunzel

Excuse me?

Post by Rapunzel »

Raven;1249098 wrote: :yh_rotfl INNIT!!

Hubby and I always say this to each other with a grin! :D

Oi means ... 'im indoors an' me we allus laffs wen we ses "innit ay?"

:-5 :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
Rapunzel

Excuse me?

Post by Rapunzel »

The thing is, my english isn't perfect either.

How many of us have cut-glass english accents?

Not many.

But it's becoming like a new form of pidgin english (and I agree with Hoppy that texting hasn't helped it in the slightest!) and it's interspersed with tired old cliches such as "At the end of the day..." and "24/7".

Yeuchhh! and Urrggghhhhh! :-5 :D
Odie

Excuse me?

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1249131 wrote: The thing is, my english isn't perfect either.

How many of us have cut-glass english accents?

Not many.

But it's becoming like a new form of pidgin english (and I agree with Hoppy that texting hasn't helped it in the slightest!) and it's interspersed with tired old cliches such as "At the end of the day..." and "24/7".

Yeuchhh! and Urrggghhhhh! :-5 :D

I know....you don't think I have had the same problems?:mad:

Its no different than a receptionist...I was one for 20 years and I used to interview for the part-timers.

....if their english was not perfect....they never did get the position....your english has to be understandable.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Excuse me?

Post by Lon »

Excuse me?

Is it just me?

Could be a peach impediment.:wah:
Raven

Excuse me?

Post by Raven »

Rapunzel;1249129 wrote: Hubby and I always say this to each other with a grin! :D

Oi means ... 'im indoors an' me we allus laffs wen we ses "innit ay?"

:-5 :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
Oh this one could go on forever, Rapunzel! I just figured out what the guy was saying on the aviva advert! LOL! Had to watch it several times to understand he was saying "green army!" sounds like greeeenahmay! :yh_rotfl

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”