Moral Dilemma

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
almostfamous

Moral Dilemma

Post by almostfamous »

I have a job interview this afternoon at a medical clinic. Unfortunately, my excitement and relief of finally seeing a result of my resume being issued out to multiple job postings is overshadowed with anxiety and confusion.

I'm seriously worried that if they know I'm pregnant they won't hire me. :-1

I know that as a former employer and hiring manager I am guilty of not hiring someone because I knew they were pregnant. I mean, seriously, who wants to hire someone, train them, and then in less than a few months that person has to take maternity leave.... leaving the position that they filled empty for X amount of days/weeks?

Logically speaking I feel like I'm wasting my time even though I've found an outfit that would make me pass as fat rather than pregnant.

BUT, morally I feel it's wrong to mislead them and then if I DO get the job, how do I break it to them that I'm pregnant??? A part of me thinks (knows) they'll be pissed when they find out.

So my question is...

Do I tell them straight up? And how do I broach the subject?

In the instance that I were to get it.... when would be appropriate to tell them? And how?

Help :confused: I seriously need this job to help me and my family and the market is just so slow right now that I was blessed to find this opening to begin with :(
mikeinie

Moral Dilemma

Post by mikeinie »

Go for the interview and tell them straight up.

Good luck.
almostfamous

Moral Dilemma

Post by almostfamous »

mikeinie;1245629 wrote: Go for the interview and tell them straight up.

Good luck.

I can't believe I'm crying over this but I'm mortified :o

How do I tell them?? This is beyond my experience here, when pregnant people came to apply at my hotel I just knew they were pregnant (much farther along than me and obviously not just fluffy)
qsducks

Moral Dilemma

Post by qsducks »

Tell them & yeah, good luck
Oscar Namechange

Moral Dilemma

Post by Oscar Namechange »

almostfamous;1245631 wrote: I can't believe I'm crying over this but I'm mortified :o

How do I tell them?? This is beyond my experience here, when pregnant people came to apply at my hotel I just knew they were pregnant (much farther along than me and obviously not just fluffy)
Please don't worry. You will win them over with your wonderful personality and experience. I have good vibes about this for you. :-6:-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
TenneseeGirl

Moral Dilemma

Post by TenneseeGirl »

almostfamous;1245631 wrote: I can't believe I'm crying over this but I'm mortified :o

Your alowed to cry your pregnant!!

Tell them "by the way I am NOT fat I am just pregnant" or you could wear an outfit that says I am definatly not fat this is pregnancy weight!
~~~~~

Just some food for thought. Swallow it or not that's up to you.:lips:
YZGI

Moral Dilemma

Post by YZGI »

Tell them proudly, they will be impressed with your honesty if nothing else. If you don't get the job because of it then it wasn't meant to be.
hoppy

Moral Dilemma

Post by hoppy »

NEVER lie on a job app.
G#Gill

Moral Dilemma

Post by G#Gill »

Yes I think you should tell them at the interview - how would they react later when they find out, and that you weren't totally honest ? I think it would not encourage a good reference for you should you need one for the future! Be honest, they will appreciate your honesty. You could say to them that you had thought of keeping your pregnancy quiet, but then realised that you wouldn't appreciate somebody being like that to you if you were doing the interviewing ! Just say that you would love the job and they would not regret employing you with your knowledge and experience, and that when the time came for your maternity leave, it would not be too long away from your job and you would be raring to get back to work.

Just tell them that you will do the job better than anybody else ! All they have to do is take you on and see for themselves !

Way to go AF !! Good luck to you, and just be positive ! :-6 :-6 ;) ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
along-for-the-ride

Moral Dilemma

Post by along-for-the-ride »

This is a job at a medical clinic. Unless they feel that being pregnant would effect your job performance, this cannot be a reason to not hire you. If you are qualified for the position, and I just know you are, there should be no problem. Relax, Smile. Be honest. Be confident. You can do it! :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Moral Dilemma

Post by Odie »

almostfamous;1245627 wrote: I have a job interview this afternoon at a medical clinic. Unfortunately, my excitement and relief of finally seeing a result of my resume being issued out to multiple job postings is overshadowed with anxiety and confusion.

I know that as a former employer and hiring manager I am guilty of not hiring someone because I knew they were pregnant. I mean, seriously, who wants to hire someone, train them, and then in less than a few months that person has to take maternity leave.... leaving the position that they filled empty for X amount of days/weeks?

Logically speaking I feel like I'm wasting my time even though I've found an outfit that would make me pass as fat rather than pregnant.

BUT, morally I feel it's wrong to mislead them and then if I DO get the job, how do I break it to them that I'm pregnant??? A part of me thinks (knows) they'll be pissed when they find out.

So my question is...

In the instance that I were to get it.... when would be appropriate to tell them? And how?

Help :confused: I seriously need this job to help me and my family and the market is just so slow right now that I was blessed to find this opening to begin with :(

how far along are you?

I forget now when your due?
Life is just to short for drama.
FUBAR

Moral Dilemma

Post by FUBAR »

almostfamous;1245627 wrote: I have a job interview this afternoon at a medical clinic. Unfortunately, my excitement and relief of finally seeing a result of my resume being issued out to multiple job postings is overshadowed with anxiety and confusion.

So my question is...

These might be some help..

.Pregnancy and your job: discrimination and your rights

USATODAY.com - Pregnant workers report growing discrimination

Pregnancy Discrimination; Know Your Rights

There are loads of info sites for you just google pregnant looking for a job.
CARLA

Moral Dilemma

Post by CARLA »

I just hired someone who I know is pregnant she is an excellent worker and will be an assist to the orginization. We hired her as a temp for months and then paid her fee to the temp agency and hired her. Never gave it a thought that she would be out on maternity leave, that is life it happen doesn't mean employeers should pass up a good employee they do come back.

Tell the truth how will you hide it eventually they will know be honest why would you want to start a job that you lied to get.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Patsy Warnick

Moral Dilemma

Post by Patsy Warnick »

AlmostFamous

Hold your head up High - just state your pregnant

Pregnant is not a handicap - as another stated this is a Medical Clinic.

Nothing more than stating you had a paid planned vacation scheduled

your still a honest, good, reliable hard worker..

what do you mean Almost - Famous..?

you had 1 interview ?? are you scheduled to return for another or did they say they'd call?

2nd interview - look interested - enthusiastic - and your proud & honored to be working there. Ask about the nature of the job, training etc.

I do need to make you aware that I'm pregnant & due - - -.

I hope you appreciate the honesty here & I realise the temporary imposition.

now Almost F you have to sell yourelf - brag - realiable -your knowledge - your skills - work well with the public & always available to assist in any department/area needed.

close with stating your a Postive person with a Postive outlook/attitude and looking forward to any and all challenges....!!

You'll be fine - smile & hold your head up high..

good luck my dear - hope I've helped..

Patsy
Peg

Moral Dilemma

Post by Peg »

Do not omit the fact that you are pregnant. I would be terribly upset to have this sprung on me after I hired you.
Odie

Moral Dilemma

Post by Odie »

Peg;1245849 wrote: Do not omit the fact that you are pregnant. I would be terribly upset to have this sprung on me after I hired you.

I agree Peg - after getting her on board, paper work, training etc.
Life is just to short for drama.
almostfamous

Moral Dilemma

Post by almostfamous »

Thanks for the replies all. I knew what I had to do I was just scared and didn't know how to do it.

I went for the interview, I dressed very professionally and didn't try to mask my pregnancy. Unfortunately, from the moment the *girl* laid eyes on me they went straight to my stomach and her demeanor changed instantly. I say girl because she looked much younger than me.... either that or she has been partaking in the Clinic's services a little too regularly. I failed to mention earlier that it was a cosmetic surgery clinic.

So, once in her office... directly following her invite to have a seat she says, "So when are you due?" I was actually in a bit of shock that she was so tactless about it. ANDDD, lol, then I catch her glancing at my 'ring finger' and notices the absence of a wedding band and precedes to say..... "and the baby's father?" It might've even been one thing if she'd asked the first question in a friendly manner but it appeared that this was already an inconvenience to her and a waste of both our time. But to ask the second question, I was actually appalled.. I kept it short and replied, "we are no longer together." I was so pissed that she'd be so intrusive that I almost said 'he's dead' just to make her feel like crap and shut her up about it.

All the same, I continued with the interview and kept my head up.

This was by far the most uncomfortable interview I've ever been on. I don't expect to hear back from them and to be honest I could care less. I was waaay overqualified for the position anyhow and would have been bored spitless so ... next please!
Bruv

Moral Dilemma

Post by Bruv »

Next time invest in a good corset and Lie.

It wasn't for you was it ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
almostfamous

Moral Dilemma

Post by almostfamous »

Bruv;1246543 wrote: Next time invest in a good corset and Lie.

It wasn't for you was it ?

:wah: It's all good. Honestly I would have been so bored out of mind I would have continued my job search so now I can do just that :)

I'm used to working in a more professional setting anyway so she pretty well let me know what type of atmosphere I'd be getting myself into ;)

Return to “Work Employment”