there are kids going hungry and dogs eat caviar

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

We have so many kids living below the poverty line in our cities and here we have people treating dogs to caviar and pedicures.

I would like to point out that a blanket for the "winter blanket appeal" costs $10.

I feel this article is testiment to Western greed and gluttony. How shameful we are.

TIMES may be tough, but Melbourne's top dogs are doing fine.

Pet owners are splashing out on luxuries for their pampered pooches, paying up to $99 for a wash and groom, $15 for pedicures and $12 for nail painting.

At Melbourne's newest pooch pampering salon, Teddie arrived looking like a mutt and departed two hours later looking like a princess.

And no wonder - she was primped and preened by people used to dealing with real-life royalty.

A family of former Gucci stylists who have worked on stars and celebrities in London and New York have opened a new boutique in bayside Elwood.

And after years of dealing with the likes of Madonna, Elton John and Princess Diana, they have finally gone to the dogs.

Jenny and Andrew Saville-Edells and son Alex say customers to their upmarket boutique can expect to feast on caviar, washed down by sparkling mineral water served in Swarovski crystal studded glassware.

"When I moved here from London, I rang my parents and told them there are almost more dogs in Melbourne than people," said Alex Saville-Edells.

"So they have come over to help me launch a Melbourne copy of their London store.

"Based in Chelsea, their boutique does a roaring trade.

"Paris Hilton came in one day with (chihuahua) Tinkerbell and she liked the service so much she sent Tinkerbell back on her own in a chauffeur-driven limousine."

Treatments range from $10 flea removal or conditioning to a $99 bath and full groom.

Throw in a $15 pet pedicure, nail painting for $12, an ear clean for $19 and treats and accessories from Milan or Los Angeles and it could break the average family budget.

"I think the average dog or cat owner will alway spoil their pet to an extent, regardless of their financial situation as they look on it as buying for a close member of their family," Mr Seville-Edells said.

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

We don't go that far but i have to admit that the amount of prime meat that is fed to my dogs and foxes from waste from the Deli's and take-away's is frightening.

Mr O and myself have put two children in a village outside Mombasa through school in a private sponser charity. We started when the little girl was 5 and the boy was 6. They are teenagers now. For just £10 a month, it paid for everything for them and the wages of their teachers. Every Christmas members of the charity flew out to them with the sponsers parcels. We would get letters from the family. The boy always asked for Man United shirts (and his father), the girl asked for a goat one year and some chickens so we just had to send money.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Sadly, it's a very unfair world! :(

The most shocking thing I saw was a programme on Aids in Africa where the local witch doctors would tell aids-ridden men to rape virgins which would take the disease from them (making them clean!) and giving the disease to the virgin child! Horrifically, the only virgins left were babies, so grown men, riddled with aids, were raping babies in order to cleanse themselves! No wonder they say the population of Africa will be nearly extinct within a decade or two!

After this programme I numbly flicked channels and found a programme on Little Princesses. Rich daddies were showering their daughters with humungous gifts. One daddy bought his daughter a massively expensive fast car, ready for when she passed her driving test. She was a dreadful driver and failed her test miserably, but he gave it to her anyway! :-5

There were daddies heaping expensive clothes, jewellery, cars and holidays on their daughters and daughters who were sucking up to them, giving them kisses and hugs and lisping 'I wuv you Daddy' then always asking for more!!

One teenager laughed and showed the cameraman 3 t-shirts she had bought and giggled that they cost her well over $1,000!!! For THREE T-SHIRTS!!! :-5

Another daughter wanted a Sweet Sixteenth Party then complained like hell because it only cost about $10,000 and her best friends had cost $15,000!!!

And did her Mummy and Daddy say 'Don't be greedy'? NO! They spent another 8 grand on top so that their daughters party was "The BEST"!!!

Seeing 2 programmes like this, with such totally opposing viewpoints, was intensely shocking and upsetting. It took a long time to reconcile myself to the fact that this is the way of the world we live in.

I think the best you can do is be aware of the situation and do what you can to change things. I support 4 charities I believe in and pay them by standing order every month. I give things I don't need to Oxfam shops who sell the things and send the money to Africa. I give young people living on the streets food, not money.

It's not much. I help where I can. Little old ladies are always asking me for help and quite a few have said they ask me because I have a kind face. My other half constantly takes the p*$$ because I attract so many little old dears, but it's rubbed off on him and they ask him for help now too! hee hee! It might not be much but in this wicked old world people are always grateful for a helping hand or a little sympathy or a kind word or even just a friendly smile. I think if everyone does a little bit, and I know most people on this forum are kindly and helpful folks too, then it just helps to make the world a bit of a brighter and friendlier place. :-6
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Your article hardly represents our western culture. Pets are indeed pampered, but few go to that extreme. However, I agree that it is shameful that many children do live below the poverty line. We do have to look at individual circumstances to find out why this problem exists. Communities, churches, schools should ban together to make sure all children are atleast fed, clothed, and sheltered until the family can get back on it's feet again.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

The vulture awaits.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

along-for-the-ride;1221963 wrote: Your article hardly represents our western culture. Pets are indeed pampered, but few go to that extreme. However, I agree that it is shameful that many children do live below the poverty line. We do have to look at individual circumstances to find out why this problem exists. Communities, churches, schools should ban together to make sure all children are atleast fed, clothed, and sheltered until the family can get back on it's feet again.

It represents my culture in how I personally see it. I think places like this should be banned as unnessesary extravagance. To me it's sickening, there are many things in our culture I find sickening this only being one of them. Opening up a store like this to shove or display opulance beyond a certain measure of reason is disgusting in times like these.
Oscar Namechange

Billions are sent to third world countries in aid every year. What we can not control in many cases is corrupt third world governments who squander aid.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Agreed but what about the currupt goverments in our own countries that support this kind of oppulance while people go hungry and homeless, again in our own countries?
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1222000 wrote: Agreed but what about the currupt goverments in our own countries that support this kind of oppulance while people go hungry and homeless, again in our own countries?
Yes and i believe it is down to a class society that we have been told no longer exists.

We certainly have our share of the homeless here nad if the governments can't or won't help, then all we can ask is that the public have some empathy and be kind to them.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

"The people" change a society ...not governments.:)
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1222060 wrote: "The people" change a society ...not governments.:) True but sadly, in many of the third world countries, the people are oppressed by the governments and do not have the liberty of freedom of speech or even freedom its'elf.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

You talk about dogs being pampered but why stop there? ban beauty parlors, ban big cars ,ban cosmetic surgery, ban fancy holidays, ban designer clothes.

In fact ban any luxury for anyone until we have this sorted out.

Somehow I dont see that working so pick on dog owners again why not.

As and when the leaders of these third world countries give up their luxury and really start caring about thier people I will give up some of mine but it sure as hell wont be to the detriment of my dogs.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Victoria;1222168 wrote: You talk about dogs being pampered but why stop there? ban beauty parlors, ban big cars ,ban cosmetic surgery, ban fancy holidays, ban designer clothes.

In fact ban any luxury for anyone until we have this sorted out.

Somehow I dont see that working so pick on dog owners again why not.

As and when the leaders of these third world countries give up their luxury and really start caring about thier people I will give up some of mine but it sure as hell wont be to the detriment of my dogs.

If I had my way I would.

Agree to a point. Victoria.

What I'd like to know though is why they don't give them Manicures? why only pedicures?

Return to “General Chit Chat”