Double standards

Peg

Double standards

Post by Peg »

A conversation at work today got me to thinking about this. First of all, we as adults tell our children "don't judge a book by its cover". Yet, when you see a kid with orange and green spiked hair, multiple piercings and tattoos, and baggy clothes, what do you think? If you were managing a store and suspected someone of shoplifting, would you watch this kid or the one in a pair of nice jeans and preppy looking shirt? These guys were talking about kids and their baggy clothes. "Parents don't know how to raise kids these days", they said. Yet, there they sat, for hours, drinking beer and gambling. What is wrong with this picture? :-3
hotsauce

Double standards

Post by hotsauce »

Don't judge a book by its cover unless you think that book might harm you...or steal from you?? Maybe?
Peg

Double standards

Post by Peg »

Good points canaan. It just really bugged me that they were saying this stuff as they sat and drank and gambled all day. They were dressed normal but it doesn't mean it makes them any better.
lady cop

Double standards

Post by lady cop »

i spent years undercover busting shoplifters. i have a "gut" for it and am very good at it. it had nothing to do with outward appearance. i just got a feeling.and usually picked them out the minute they walked in walmart or wherever i was working. in fact, the employees used to love to watch me work and would comment "i can't believe THAT one would steal". HA. i busted rich and poor, well-dressed and freaks. and all colors.
Der Wulf

Double standards

Post by Der Wulf »

Using the book metaphor, and insisting that i am a strong supporter of individual expression;.. I can understand a lousy "book" being disguised with a great cover, but why put a trashy cover on a great "book" ? :confused: :-2
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
koan

Double standards

Post by koan »

Der Wulf wrote: Using the book metaphor, and insisting that i am a strong supporter of individual expression;.. I can understand a lousy "book" being disguised with a great cover, but why put a trashy cover on a great "book" ? :confused: :-2

It is a good question. I have to suggest there is an answer though. "Goodness" can come through tests and trials and the same tests and trials can cause a distaste for the society that they had to endure. Some people choose to look different for attention and are "posers". The good ones are usually victims and are showing the world that there are things beneath the surface that are not right.

Return to “Kids Family”