Green Renovations - worth the $?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Scott289

Post by Scott289 »

I've been working on this video series about eco-friendly/energy efficient home renovations, and I was wondering...have any of you made changes to your house (like switching to compact-fluorescent light bulbs, energy efficient appliances, etc.)?
spot

Post by spot »

Scott289;1202490 wrote: I've been working on this video series about eco-friendly/energy efficient home renovations, and I was wondering...have any of you made changes to your house (like switching to compact-fluorescent light bulbs, energy efficient appliances, etc.)?

Switching light bulbs is obligatory in some parts of the world, people don't even get the choice.

In the UK there are government grants to householders for installing energy efficient heating and insulation systems.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

we have an HR combi boiler which is very efficent, double glazing throughout, insulation in loft wall and under the floors on all piping minimum heat loss, we only have a shower, all the radiators have thermostatic valves.all my kitchen stuff i A or AA effiecent. ect ect

The outlay will takes years if ever to re coup and its not helped by the energy companies putting up thier tariffs regardless of how much we try to cut back.

Its a case of doing your bit, I suppose.
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

I have always been amazed at how energy companies say they want to help conserve energy and then raise prices to keep up profit margins. :confused:
spot

Post by spot »

FUBAR;1202683 wrote: I have always been amazed at how energy companies say they want to help conserve energy and then raise prices to keep up profit margins. :confused:

How does that fail to be effective? It sounds eminently logical to me.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202688 wrote: How does that fail to be effective? It sounds eminently logical to me.

Of course it does.:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202726 wrote: Of course it does.:yh_rotfl

Does it not reduce consumption?
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202729 wrote: Does it not reduce consumption?

Is it logical to pay more for less?
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202730 wrote: Is it logical to pay more for less?

Obviously, if there's a national commitment to reduce consumption.

The UK's made one. So have most industrialized countries. The US is in many ways a rogue state thanks to the previous White House administration stonewalling against progress.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

We just moved into a totally "GREEN" building no light switches in fact if you sit still long enough you will be working in the dark. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

No hot water in the bathrooms (not sure how sanitary that is). All the faucets and toilet operate automatically if they operate. The office is heated by something called "RE HEATING" not sure what that means other than no heat. For us it means wear 2 sweaters in the morning till about 11am and then 1 sweater till 5pm when its time to go home. Can't have space heaters violation of our lease agreement.

The windows are tinted to change due to the amount of sunlight outside, this can get annoying at times.

Not sure how much money it will save us as we have only been there a month. I can tell you we have a lot of sick staff because they are freezing day in and day out. :-5

Since all the controls for this "GREEN" operation are right next to my Server room I have become by default the person all staff complains to.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202735 wrote: Obviously, if there's a national commitment to reduce consumption.

The UK's made one. So have most industrialized countries. The US is in many ways a rogue state thanks to the previous White House administration stonewalling against progress.

The UK made one because it probably has to. The USA makes electrical power from water power or coal fired generators. We mine our own coal. So why should you give a crap?
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202742 wrote: The UK made one because it probably has to. The USA makes electrical power from water power or coal fired generators. We mine our own coal. So why should you give a crap?

Oh I don't, dear boy, I don't in the slightest. The sooner you get where you're going the better as far as I'm concerned.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202746 wrote: Oh I don't, dear boy, I don't in the slightest. The sooner you get where you're going the better as far as I'm concerned.

That's fine. Because, if the UK can't lead, then follow or get the hell outa the way.
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202747 wrote: That's fine. Because, if the UK can't lead, then follow or get the hell outa the way.

It's odd that you should think you stand any chance at all after what's happened. The world's moved on and honestly, you're not even in the running any longer. We can all finally breathe a sigh of relief.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Easy boys play nice..!! ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Post by spot »

CARLA;1202753 wrote: Easy boys play nice..!! ;)

Tell him to at least clean the mud off his boots when he comes in here then.

A bath wouldn't go amiss either.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202749 wrote: It's odd that you should think you stand any chance at all after what's happened. The world's moved on and honestly, you're not even in the running any longer. We can all finally breathe a sigh of relief.

The world's moved on? Then why is most of the world suffering the same hardships the USA is? Why don't the world just "move on"?:yh_rotfl
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202756 wrote: Tell him to at least clean the mud off his boots when he comes in here then.

A bath wouldn't go amiss either.

I'll clean the mud off my boots and take a bath. You get your teeth fixed.:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202767 wrote: The world's moved on? Then why is most of the world suffering the same hardships the USA is? Why don't the world just "move on"?:yh_rotfl

The simple answer is that it's not suffering the same hardships the USA is. Most of it's watched conspicuous consumption with distaste and embarrassment, most of it has no desire to repeat the same mistake, most of it is more concerned with living the good life. Living the good life has nothing to do with consumption though it's hard explaining that to people who frenetically depend on spending to define their satisfaction.

Your laughs sound increasingly hollow from where I'm sat.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202770 wrote: The simple answer is that it's not suffering the same hardships the USA is. Most of it's watched conspicuous consumption with distaste and embarrassment, most of it has no desire to repeat the same mistake, most of it is more concerned with living the good life. Living the good life has nothing to do with consumption though it's hard explaining that to people who frenetically depend on spending to define their satisfaction.

Your laughs sound increasingly hollow from where I'm sat.

I suppose so, sitting on your head as you are. I'm happy to hear the rest of the world is not suffering inflation, unemployment and shortages.:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202772 wrote: I suppose so, sitting on your head as you are. I'm happy to hear the rest of the world is not suffering inflation, unemployment and shortages.:yh_rotfl

You'll wear that smiley out if you overuse it.

Where do you get the idea the world's gripped by inflation anyway? It's anything but.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202776 wrote: You'll wear that smiley out if you overuse it.

Where do you get the idea the world's gripped by inflation anyway? It's anything but.

How about unemployment? Not sure but we usually have single digit unemployment figures compared to europe's double digits.
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202779 wrote: How about unemployment? Not sure but we usually have single digit unemployment figures compared to europe's double digits.

unemployment rate uk vs usa - Wolfram|Alpha

UK 5.5%

USA 7.2%

The whole of Europe, regardless of how you define it (EU, EU + Russia, EU + Russia + Turkey) is between 7.0% and 7.4%. That includes a whole load of Eastern Europe which is still working toward the core EU norm.

Would you like to try another?
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

There must be a terrible manpower shortage in the UK, what with all the English men and women over here working. Every time I turn on my TV, some Englishmen is trying to sell me something.
spot

Post by spot »

You forgot your smiley.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202787 wrote: unemployment rate uk vs usa - Wolfram|Alpha

UK 5.5%

USA 7.2%

The whole of Europe, regardless of how you define it (EU, EU + Russia, EU + Russia + Turkey) is between 7.0% and 7.4%. That includes a whole load of Eastern Europe which is still working toward the core EU norm.

Would you like to try another?

WOW. You guys got a freakin eden there in England. I don't know why any of you would even want to travel.:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202794 wrote: WOW. You guys got a freakin eden there in England. I don't know why any of you would even want to travel.:yh_rotfl

Do you never make the effort to sound sensible? I'm content that you should carry on with the Ann Coulter impersonation but it's as feeble-minded on you as it is on her. Gloating triumphalism from a position of weakness should be avoided wherever possible, all it gives rise to is disdainful pity.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1202796 wrote: Do you never make the effort to sound sensible? I'm content that you should carry on with the Ann Coulter impersonation but it's as feeble-minded on you as it is on her. Gloating triumphalism from a position of weakness should be avoided wherever possible, all it gives rise to is disdainful pity.

Funny, I don't feel a bit weak when I converse with you. Quite the contrary, old chap.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1202797 wrote: Funny, I don't feel a bit weak when I converse with you. Quite the contrary, old chap.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

That, I fear, merely confirms my point.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I'd like to keep on but my inflatable love doll, Judy Juggs, just sprung a leak. I gotta find my tire patch kit. See ya.:yh_bye

Return to “Home Management”