Backsliding!

Discuss the Christian Faith.
lady cop

Backsliding!

Post by lady cop »

hello and welcome to FG :) ...could you be a bit more specific?
Ted

Backsliding!

Post by Ted »

I think the term is well worn and hackneyed. It is negative in its intent and really does nothing for the teachings of Jesus. Do we all make mistakes in our lives? Of course we do. Is God going to condemn us for being human? I don't think so.

The Christian life is about living in a developing relationship with the Risen Lord. Note the word developing. The Christian life is one in which we are continually trying to do better. I don't think we need the term "backsliding.

Shalom

Ted :-6
David813

Backsliding!

Post by David813 »

Backsliding?? Sounds fun as long as alcohol is allowed.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
Ted

Backsliding!

Post by Ted »

David :-6

LOL

Shalom

Ted :-6
koan

Backsliding!

Post by koan »

I believe that people can lose their path at times but usually find their way back (religious meaning or not). If the label intends to be a label as opposed to recognising a time when guidance may be helpful then 'yuck'. Otherwise, everyone has tough times.
anastrophe

Backsliding!

Post by anastrophe »

backsliding can be applied outside of the religious life. years (and years and years ago) i spent an evening chatting with a fellow who wrote his doctoral thesis on the concept of backsliding, more to do with philosophy in general. that backsliding may be a necessary step to greater understanding of things - stepping back from that which is the center of focus, to allow time for things to 'sink in'. the subconscious is a side of our existence we know little about, and yet is very important. that stepping back gives the subconscious room to 'breath', to assimilate what one's conscious endeavors have brought to it.

from the religious angle, there is the 'formal' backsliding of the amish rumspringa.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Raven

Backsliding!

Post by Raven »

koan wrote: I believe that people can lose their path at times but usually find their way back (religious meaning or not). If the label intends to be a label as opposed to recognising a time when guidance may be helpful then 'yuck'. Otherwise, everyone has tough times.
I agree with you 100%.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
hotsauce

Backsliding!

Post by hotsauce »

I have been backsliding for about 10 years. After 10 years, is it still considered backsliding? :-3
hotsauce

Backsliding!

Post by hotsauce »

I'm sure I have been called worse. :p

Return to “Christianity”