Economical car.

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Bill Sikes

Economical car.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Considering a 1.9 CDTI 150PS 6-speed Vauxhall Vectra - 49MPG combined!! Anyone got one? Comments?
thomasrobert

Economical car.

Post by thomasrobert »

Although cars were becoming more affordable before it was launched, the 1908–1927 Ford Model T is considered to be the first true economy car.

------------

Thomas
gmc

Economical car.

Post by gmc »

JD Power survey 2010 - Family cars - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

Don't have one, but as a massive diesel fan here are my thoughts for what they are worth. Given that you are probably paying a premium to get a diesel and that diesel costs more per litre than petrol and is likely to stay that way unless you are doing 35,000 - 40,000 a year it doesn't make economic sense any more. If you are buying it to keep it till it falls to bits bear in mind it is not the engines that fail at 100,000 miles plus it's all the other bits on the car that cost money to keep it going or make you end up scrapping it as I have just done with an 02 car with 135,000 on it - it would have cost more to repair than it was worth and you have to call a halt at some point. The turbos in diesels cost a fortune if they go on an older car but it's more likely to be suspension parts and the like that cost you, new clutch, brake discs exhaust it all adds up cos they all tend to go go at the same time round about 100,000. (mind you mine had the original clutch still) How does £1,000 plus of repair bills sound.

For what you are about to pay for the diesel you could probably spend £4-5000 less and get the equivalent petrol and probably find it easier to get a low mileage one. When they brought in the insignia they were selling new 1.8 vectras for £8,000 - £9,000 reduced from £16,000. You should get over 40 mpg on a run with one of them - well I know someone who does but they're heavy on petrol around town, but £4,000 buys an awful lot of petrol. With the change buy a small run around that does 60+ to the gallon. That's if you need two cars of course. If you don't then what kind of mileage are you really doing and why do you need a motorway cruiser? If it's a low mileage why buy a diesel at all when you look at the extra costs involved.

Have a look at kia's and hyundai as well, you will probably get the remainder of the manufacturers warranty and their diesels are pretty good as well.

I just bought a new car - does it show? I like cars but when it really comes right down to it I hate spending money on them.
chonsigirl

Economical car.

Post by chonsigirl »

I have a Hyundai and it is very economical and has a 10 year warranty-I'm on year 6 or 7 of it. A great car and has good mileage.
Scrat

Economical car.

Post by Scrat »

I just sold my Nissan and bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent for 2000 dollars. Last night I went to get the emissions checked and it failed, Error code PO422. Main Catalyst Efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Ever have this problem? What kind of gas do you use? The mechanic I talked too over the phone said it could be quite a few things, the ARCO gas included. Me and the wife have only had this for 2 weeks and really like it. 28 mpg in moderate to bad traffic.
gmc

Economical car.

Post by gmc »

Scrat;1348659 wrote: I just sold my Nissan and bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent for 2000 dollars. Last night I went to get the emissions checked and it failed, Error code PO422. Main Catalyst Efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Ever have this problem? What kind of gas do you use? The mechanic I talked too over the phone said it could be quite a few things, the ARCO gas included. Me and the wife have only had this for 2 weeks and really like it. 28 mpg in moderate to bad traffic.

You don't say what the mileage is but if it's just been used mainly for short journeys the exhaust doesn't get a chance to heat up properly and you get water vapour condensing inside it causing corrosion that you don't get on a car used for longer runs where it gets blasted out. I've just bought a three year old car with under 10,000 miles on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust goes early on it just for that reason. The first exhaust on my 02 car lasted 100,000 miles the second only 30,000 because I started using it mainly around town.

I'm jealous, where I live they use a lot of salt on the roads in winter a car that old here is likely to be fairly badly corroded around the suspension parts and cross members no matter how well you look after it. That's what happened to my almera - a spring broke and the cross member was so corroded the engine was almost dropping out. The engine was fine.

Return to “Autos Vehicles”