dental advice please.......sore mouth here!

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I had 2 upper teeth pulled a week ago.....some stitches have come out.....some are still there........they're dissolving ones.

Because they are upper, the pain goes from there up to my nose, because that is where the roots were.

I rise with warm water and salt a million times a day.

but I am still in pain..........and the entire are is quite quite sore.

is this normal after a week?

or should I go back and see him?
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I felt sore from my root canal for 1-2 weeks.

If your gums are inflammed, and your cheek swollen, ythen go back to the dentist.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Phone the dentist and ask for advice!

Just after I moved here from London I developed raging toothache. Being new to the area I had no dentist and had to wait for an initial assessment and then for a proper appointment. I was in agony! When they finally tried to treat the tooth (a back molar) it hurt so much I was crying in pain and just begged them to take the tooth out. They did, under anesthetic, and I had a short-lived relief thinking the horrendous pain was finally over. But not so! Once the anesthetic wore off the incredible pain returned. I had to wait a couple more weeks before I could be seen again and when the dentist finally saw me he said that normally when a tooth is pulled the blood and gunk left behind seals the hole that was made by the extracted tooth. However, in my case a 'dry hole' had been left and it had become infected (as you would expect when you eat food and breathe germs in through your mouth, etc). He gave me a course of antibiotics to clear it up and I was fine after that.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic but Cheshire Cat used to be a member of FG. She had exactly the same problem, as far as I recall, and I'm very sorry to tell you that she died from the infection she got following dental treatment. I don't know the full story. I'm sure others know more details than I do and it was probably a one-in-a-million shot that her outcome was so bad, but it does go to show that you shouldn't leave things and wait (not that I think she did). Seriously, I think you should get it checked out sooner rather than later. Best of luck Odie. Mel. xxx
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

After only a week, it's not necessarily abnormal to still have a sore mouth. We all heal at different rates. I know someone who had a root canal and was sore for 2+ weeks.

I'm not a dentist, but I work in health care and have taken care of many, many post-op dental patients. Most dentists, in my experience, suggest rinsing with a warm salt water solution in A.M., after meals and at bedtime.

To do any more than that may actually be irritating your gums further, simply because all that "swishing" motion may be tugging at the stitches that aren't quite healed yet. Being over-zealous with care can sometimes but just as damaging as being under-zealous.

Give it a couple more days.... then call dentist if not better.

Oh, and definitely call ASAP if inflammation or any part of your face surrounding removal site is warm to touch.

Good luck!
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Call your dentist Odie you don't want to develop "Dry Sockets" very painful. Best to get advice no need to be in pain.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

laneybug;1164156 wrote: After only a week, it's not necessarily abnormal to still have a sore mouth. We all heal at different rates. I know someone who had a root canal and was sore for 2+ weeks.

I'm not a dentist, but I work in health care and have taken care of many, many post-op dental patients. Most dentists, in my experience, suggest rinsing with a warm salt water solution in A.M., after meals and at bedtime.

To do any more than that may actually be irritating your gums further, simply because all that "swishing" motion may be tugging at the stitches that aren't quite healed yet. Being over-zealous with care can sometimes but just as damaging as being under-zealous.

Give it a couple more days.... then call dentist if not better.

Oh, and definitely call ASAP if inflammation or any part of your face surrounding removal site is warm to touch.

Good luck!

Hi Laneybug and thanks!

You may have hit it right on.........I knew it was after meals for the rinsing, but I am doing it each time it gets sore....thinking it will take down the swelling!

now, the cheek I had the teeth pulled out is warm.

and I can feel under the roof of my mouth that it is swollen.

I think this is all normal, as its just a week tomorrow, I think I will phone him tomorrow.......just in case there is an infection.

I know these things hurt, after all, teeth were yanked out, but to me, it should not have lasted this long.
Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1164165 wrote: Call your dentist Odie you don't want to develop "Dry Sockets" very painful. Best to get advice no need to be in pain.

thanks Carla, I will be phoning him tomorrow!
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1164136 wrote: I felt sore from my root canal for 1-2 weeks.

If your gums are inflammed, and your cheek swollen, ythen go back to the dentist.

yes, my gums are swollen, so I will phone him tomorrow, thanks!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1164183 wrote: thanks Carla, I will be phoning him tomorrow!

You better!:sneaky:
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1164186 wrote: You better!:sneaky:

aren't you in bed?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

already put in a call for him.;)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1164188 wrote: aren't you in bed?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

already put in a call for him.;)

Will be snoozing away in about 20 min. or so.:)
Odie

Post by Odie »

Scrat;1164208 wrote: Call him, you probably have an infection. I have had a lot of my teeth worked on and more than enough pulled. I never had any problems like what you describe.

oh oh............I put a call in tonight, so I will see him tomorrow.

thanks!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Excellent better safe than sorry dry sockets, infection nasty stuff but easily taken care of. Hope you have some good pain medication that always helps. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1164212 wrote: Excellent better safe than sorry dry sockets, infection nasty stuff but easily taken care of. Hope you have some good pain medication that always helps. ;)

well I know one thing that I was told not to do.......was smoking for 24 hours!:-5:-5
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1164214 wrote: well I know one thing that I was told not to do.......was smoking for 24 hours!:-5:-5

Have you survived?
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1164217 wrote: Have you survived?

yes.......but that can cause infection!:-5:-5
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1164221 wrote: yes.......but that can cause infection!:-5:-5

Did you know they are trying to pass some law in PA about having pot for peeps suffering in pain? Maybe you shoudl try someone in Mexico? The cartels?:)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yes smoking to soon can cause dry sockets.

[QUOTE]well I know one thing that I was told not to do.......was smoking for 24 hours!

[QUOTE]Aftercare during the time period beginning 24 hours following your tooth extraction.

Your dentist will provide you with a second set of aftercare instructions for the time period beginning 24 hours after your tooth extraction. Usually a dentist's instructions will include directions pertaining to the topics found on this page. Before following any of the aftercare directions that are found here you should print them out and show them to your dentist and ask them if these instructions apply to your specific situation. Your dentist may find reason to revise, add to, or delete from these generalized instructions, depending on your specific needs. In all cases, if you have a concern or feel you have developed a complication associated with your tooth extraction you should contact your dentist.

Addressing swelling that still exists 24 hours after the extraction.

Any swelling caused by the trauma of the tooth extraction process should reach its maximum after 24 to 48 hours. So to bring this swelling down more quickly, apply a warm moist towel to the swollen area for 20 minutes followed by 20 minutes of no application. Repeat this cycle, as you find necessary.

Keeping the extraction site clean.

In general, the cleaner you keep the extraction site (the hole in the bone where the tooth has been removed, also referred to as the tooth's socket) the quicker it will heal. Beginning 24 hours after your tooth extraction, you can gently rinse the socket with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon of salt in a cup of water) after meals and before bed. Do not use commercial mouth rinses. They may irritate the extraction site.

Stitches (resorbable and non-resorbable).

Your dentist may have found it necessary to place sutures ("stitches") in the extraction site after removing the tooth. Some types of stitches are resorbable and therefore will dissolve away on their own, others are not and will need to be removed by your dentist. If stitches were placed, make sure you know which type have been used. Usually a dentist will want to remove stitches that don't resorb in about a week or so after the extraction. The process of removing stitches is usually very easy and quite painless.

Dry sockets.

One of the more common complications people experience after a tooth extraction is that of developing a "dry socket." It is thought that dry sockets occur when either a blood clot has failed to form in the tooth socket (the hole left after extracting the tooth), or else the blood clot that did form has been dislodged. Since the formation of a blood clot is an important part of the healing process, the normal healing of the extraction site is interrupted.

Dry sockets are most frequently associated with difficult tooth extractions or extractions that have been traumatic in nature. An extraction that has involved the removal of bone from around a tooth in order for the dentist to access it, which is often the case when lower impacted wisdom teeth are removed, would be considered to be more traumatic in nature than an extraction where this step was not required.

People who follow their dentist's post-extraction recommendations will reduce their chances of developing a dry socket. Dry sockets are found to occur more often with women (even more so with those taking oral contraceptives), people over the age of 30, and smokers.

Typically dry sockets manifest themselves as a dull throbbing pain which doesn't appear until three or four days after the tooth extraction. The pain can be moderate to severe in intensity and often seems to radiate from the area of the extraction site to the ear. Dry sockets typically create a foul odor or bad taste. Visually, if you can see down into the socket, the extraction site appears "dry," in the sense that you just see exposed bone. There is no formation of pus.

Dry sockets need to be treated by your dentist. And don't be hesitant to let them know that you need their help. Your dentist knows that there is no way to predict who will develop a dry socket, and if one occurs after your extraction they will be eager to assist you.

In most cases a dentist will place a medicated dressing into a dry socket as a treatment. This will help to soothe and moderate the pain. The dressing is usually removed and replaced every 24 hours until the dry socket's symptoms subside, which can, in some cases, take some number of days.

Bone sequestra and tooth fragments.

Sometimes small fragments of dead bone (called a "sequestrum" [singular] or "sequestra" [plural]) will come to the surface of an extraction site as they are ejected by the patient's body during the healing process. This is more likely to occur in those cases where the tooth extraction has been relatively difficult or traumatic. Along these same lines, if the tooth broke or splintered during the extraction process you may find that small shards of tooth may come to the surface of the extraction site, even some weeks after the socket seems to have healed. You may be able to remove the smallest of these splinters of bone or tooth on your own, or you may find that you require, or want, your dentist's assistance in removing them.

Completion of the healing process.

Of course after a tooth has been extracted there will be a hole left in your jawbone where the tooth has been removed (the tooth's socket). As time passes the shape of this hole will smooth over and fill in with bone. While it can take many weeks and months for this healing process to occur fully, from a practical standpoint after 1 to 2 weeks enough healing will have occurred that the extraction site should be of only minor inconvenience to you.

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1164229 wrote: Did you know they are trying to pass some law in PA about having pot for peeps suffering in pain? Maybe you shoudl try someone in Mexico? The cartels?:)

hehe....that law was passed in Canada several years ago.....but it's in pill form.
Odie

Post by Odie »

thank you everyone for your great advice, I really appreciate this, as I was getting quite nervous with this pain.

Hopefully he can fit me in tomorrow.

again, thanks!:-4

so nice to have people that care and have good knowledge.
minks

Post by minks »

Odie;1164267 wrote: thank you everyone for your great advice, I really appreciate this, as I was getting quite nervous with this pain.

Hopefully he can fit me in tomorrow.

again, thanks!:-4

so nice to have people that care and have good knowledge.

Odie hunny no smoking no using a straw and do your best to avoid the sucking motion... that can pull the clot (as you saw important for healing) from the socket. It may also be a bit of infection as said before too. Good luck hun be sure when you call to tell them you are in killer pain and they better get you right in or you will chew somebody's leg off.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Unfortunately this sometimes happens. Its an unavoidable hazard and will cause some discomfort.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Have you seen him yet Odie:-3 i hope you get it sorted,, ouch its horrible having pain in your mouth, and teeth:-5:-5

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

Post by Odie »

the dentist said everything is normal......expect pain for 2-3 weeks.

yipppee!

no infection!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Scrat;1164397 wrote: I guess all people are different. I also found out the hard way you shouldn't eat hard crunchy things for at least 3 weeks. :yh_rotfl

hey, I found that out also, they said soft foods for only 24 hours, should have been 3 weeks!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Good now you know everything is OK that's half the battle. :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1164399 wrote: Good now you know everything is OK that half the battle. :D

yes and thanks Carla, I was mighty scared last night.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Better to know then not have it looked at and find out you have a serious infection and suffer needlessly for weeks.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1164290 wrote: Unfortunately this sometimes happens. Its an unavoidable hazard and will cause some discomfort.

that just wasn't called for!:sneaky::lips:
Boogalette

Post by Boogalette »

I recall that after I had my root canal, it felt as though I had been punched in the face. I was tender for weeks.

I'm glad to hear that it's business as usual for you and there is no infection.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
Odie

Post by Odie »

Boogalette;1164466 wrote: I recall that after I had my root canal, it felt as though I had been punched in the face. I was tender for weeks.

I'm glad to hear that it's business as usual for you and there is no infection.

ohhhhhhhhhhh I hate root canals, have had 3 to many.

its business as usual and thanks.
minks

Post by minks »

Glad to hear no infection hun. Sorry you have to have pain though.

BTW Odie, I think you are the only one here in FG who thinks my AV is upside down... next medical appointment should be the eye doctor :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:-4

― Mae West
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

Ooooh. I had dry sockets when my wisdom teeth came out. That is hellah painful. They put gauze soaked in cloves in them and the pain went away almost instantaneously. I couldnt eat, smoke, or anything. I did lose 12 pounds those two weeks.
minks

Post by minks »

TheNewDG;1164567 wrote: Ooooh. I had dry sockets when my wisdom teeth came out. That is hellah painful. They put gauze soaked in cloves in them and the pain went away almost instantaneously. I couldnt eat, smoke, or anything. I did lose 12 pounds those two weeks.

oh yes cloves I had heard of that remedy good one DG ... btw nice to see you back.

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Glad it is ok. but hope the pain goes away soon for you.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Odie;1164387 wrote: the dentist said everything is normal......expect pain for 2-3 weeks.

yipppee!

no infection!

Glad to hear there is no infection. So sorry for the pain, though. Here's a hug for ya. :) Click on the lil pic. :wah:

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Feel better my friend...can't post a graphic on my laptop....:-4

I hate pain:thinking:
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1164558 wrote: Glad to hear no infection hun. Sorry you have to have pain though.

BTW Odie, I think you are the only one here in FG who thinks my AV is upside down... next medical appointment should be the eye doctor :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:-4

:-5:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1164595 wrote: Glad to hear there is no infection. So sorry for the pain, though. Here's a hug for ya. :) Click on the lil pic. :wah:

awwwwwwwwwww thanks, so cute!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

minks;1164558 wrote: Glad to hear no infection hun. Sorry you have to have pain though.

And the hairdresser:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1164610 wrote: Feel better my friend...can't post a graphic on my laptop....:-4

I hate pain:thinking:

thanks hun, what I really wish for is for you to feel better.:-4
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Quin has just informed me that he has a toothache:-5. Great, and just when we're about to switch dentist offices!
minks

Post by minks »

Odie;1164631 wrote: :-5:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

MADE YA SMILE hehehe hope it didn't hurt :-4

― Mae West
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

minks;1165117 wrote: MADE YA SMILE hehehe hope it didn't hurt :-4

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1165117 wrote: MADE YA SMILE hehehe hope it didn't hurt :-4

well it is upside down!:-5:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1165119 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

stop laughing...........it hurts!:lips::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
minks

Post by minks »

Odie;1165211 wrote: stop laughing...........it hurts!:lips::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Only you comment on me avatar I think you may be a little .... tilted hehehehe sorry I hurt you again :wah::-4

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1165229 wrote: Only you comment on me avatar I think you may be a little .... tilted hehehehe sorry I hurt you again :wah::-4

yup.....its always me!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”