President Makes Fun of Special Olympics

Discuss the latest political news.
Clint

Post by Clint »

(CNN) – President Obama likened his poor bowling skills to the Special Olympics in an appearance Thursday on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.”

Joking about the president’s lack of bowling skills, Leno quipped, “I imagine the bowling alley [in the White House] has just been just burned and closed down.”

“No, no. I have been practicing,” the president said. “I bowled a 129.”

“It's like — it was like Special Olympics, or something,” he joked.

Read more:

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

PC gone wild again. I get sick to death of these attacks on everyone that happens to say something without a script that writers have poured over for days to make sure one word won't offend some sect or the other. To me it was more self deprecating than derogatory. No I didn't vote for Obama but wee need to get back to a time where we can joke about something without fear of the PC police raising hell.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I agree YZGI I'm sick of it.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

YZGI;1160359 wrote: PC gone wild again. I get sick to death of these attacks on everyone that happens to say something without a script that writers have poured over for days to make sure one word won't offend some sect or the other. To me it was more self deprecating than derogatory. No I didn't vote for Obama but wee need to get back to a time where we can joke about something without fear of the PC police raising hell.

I know, give the guy a fecken break, what do you want a president that stays away from the public and says nothing in fear of saying the wrong thing?

Get over it
Clint

Post by Clint »

Interesting...very interesting! Where were these voices of reason when the last President was in office?:rolleyes:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

fine! I guess I'll be the wierd one as usual:p but I think there's a time and place for everything and the president's comments were inappropriate.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Clint;1160364 wrote: Interesting...very interesting! Where were these voices of reason when the last President was in office?:rolleyes:
Right here saying the same thing. I did vote for Bush the first time also.
Clint

Post by Clint »

This President got elected because he was supposed to be a wonderful communicator. He and his VP have a foot in their mouth more than not. Having a voice that is nice to listen to does not make one a good communicator.

Additionally, he let his view of those less fortunate be known last night. He thinks very highly of himself.

It isn't about PC.

Off to work I go...Have a great day!
Peg

Post by Peg »

YZGI;1160359 wrote: PC gone wild again. I get sick to death of these attacks on everyone that happens to say something without a script that writers have poured over for days to make sure one word won't offend some sect or the other. To me it was more self deprecating than derogatory. No I didn't vote for Obama but wee need to get back to a time where we can joke about something without fear of the PC police raising hell.

I totally agree.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Clint;1160372 wrote: This President got elected because he was supposed to be a wonderful communicator. He and his VP have a foot in their mouth more than not. Having a voice that is nice to listen to does not make one a good communicator.

Additionally, he let his view of those less fortunate be known last night. He thinks very highly of himself.

It isn't about PC.
Can we agree that special olympic participants are less coordinated than non special olympians? If so, why are we surprised and outraged when it is pointed out in a self depracating way?:-5

I don't think there was any intention what so ever to down grade those "special" people. they are special and they are honored in many ways for their courage and attitudes.

Heres one for you. Lets see if this makes you mad.

Where do one legged people work?

IHOP.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;1160378 wrote: Can we agree that special olympic participants are less coordinated than non special olympians? If so, why are we surprised and outraged when it is pointed out in a self depracating way?:-5

I don't think there was any intention what so ever to down grade those "special" people. they are special and they are honored in many ways for their courage and attitudes.

IHOP.

that is funny but you wouldn't make that joke at a military hospital would you?

there's a time and place for everything, it's not about being pc. I think you can be self depracating without it being at the expense of anyone else. I pick on myself all the time. :D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yeah, he slags off disabled children, and he's black as well. :rolleyes:

Its just a slip of the tongue, unfortunate one, but hey if you want some brilliant George Bush slips of the tongue then I can provide them for you. :-6
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Well

as I stated in another Jay Leno thread

I don't see any reason for Pres. of the United States to be on a Talk Show?

I don't want the Pres. to have a beer with Leno and check out Leno's car collection.

I want Pres. in Michigan if he's interested in car's..

Now he'll have to bowl in the special Olympics to prove he's one of the "Guys"...

no harm meant..

Patsy
Clint

Post by Clint »

YZGI;1160378 wrote: Can we agree that special olympic participants are less coordinated than non special olympians? If so, why are we surprised and outraged when it is pointed out in a self depracating way?:-5

IHOP.

The President let it be known that he finds them amusing. Rather than admire them he finds their condition to be funny...material for a crowd looking for a good laugh.

You are right, they are honored in many ways for their courage and attitudes...but clearly not by the President.

I realize the PC stuff is out of control but this isn't about being PC, it's about respect. You can't respect participants in the Special Olympics and at the same time say their performance so poor it's funny.
spot

Post by spot »

It's not about respect at all, Clint. It's a drip-drip-drip deliberate denigration of the president because he's a Democrat this time. It's an attempt to make his presidency less effective. It has nothing to do with cripples at all. The only paralysis in sight is another paralysed presidency like Bill Clinton's ended up, like Jimmy Carter's ended up. This is the Republican Party in opposition. It's not attractive.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Look anyone can say something at any moment that will disrupt someone elses sense of morality.

Who amongst us hasnt said something and to your dismay were informed you were a cretin for saying it.

Im assuming President Obama doesnt have it in for children with special needs. Its a reasonable assumption.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

It was a stupid thing to say for someone in his position, still it was live TV and it shows even Obama is falible, which is reassuring. I am guessing he won't be doing many live TV shows for the rest of his presidency.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

I'd much rather he carried on talking to people where he can be seen to think on the hoof. It might only be glimpses but they're worth the effort. If those who want to lock him into impotence pick up all the inevitable slips, and portentously discuss them as moral failings, that's what they'll do. It's up to the rest of us to refuse that agenda and mock them out of countenance.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1160773 wrote: I'd much rather he carried on talking to people where he can be seen to think on the hoof. It might only be glimpses but they're worth the effort. If those who want to lock him into impotence pick up all the inevitable slips, and portentously discuss them as moral failings, that's what they'll do. It's up to the rest of us to refuse that agenda and mock them out of countenance.

I agree with you, the PC is really driving me nuts, and its our psychotic media that drives it all, with our complicity.

Its refreshing to see such a powerful figure being fairly candid in casual interviews, he has generally a pleasant personality and an interesting mind (his books are extraordinarily good when compared to the usual dirge that actual politicans in office write about themselves).

However, one much also be realistic, when your the President, the PM, or the King you're just not as free as private citizens are when your talking on the record.

Still he is bound to make little gaffes once in a while, its no big deal. The real problems are how to deal with this insane economic situation that he and his administration have inherited, its going to be one hell of a job just trying to keep the US economy from collapsing the way things are at the moment, let alone trying to improve things.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1160760 wrote: It's not about respect at all, Clint. It's a drip-drip-drip deliberate denigration of the president because he's a Democrat this time. It's an attempt to make his presidency less effective. It has nothing to do with cripples at all. The only paralysis in sight is another paralysed presidency like Bill Clinton's ended up, like Jimmy Carter's ended up. This is the Republican Party in opposition. It's not attractive.
You're so partisan you're eyes are brown.

Just ignore the exact same drips from the democrat side against Ford, Reagan, and the Bushes.

aside: do two bushes make a hedge? :yh_think
Clint

Post by Clint »

This is hilarious:yh_rotfl The same people who couldn’t wait to castigate the last President for every gaff are now defending this one. If George W. Bush had said what Barak H. Obama said about the Special Olympics the PC crowd would be calling for his resignation and would have added the heinous crime to the list of things they wanted him impeached for. PC is not something the right has trumpeted...it's roots are on the left.

The chickens are coming home to roost.;)
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Clint;1160882 wrote: This is hilarious:yh_rotfl The same people who couldn’t wait to castigate the last President for every gaff are now defending this one. If George W. Bush had said what Barak H. Obama said about the Special Olympics the PC crowd would be calling for his resignation and would have added the heinous crime to the list of things they wanted him impeached for. PC is not something the right has trumpeted...it's roots are on the left.

Bush wouldn't even have know what the Special Olympics were.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Patsy Warnick;1160489 wrote: Well

as I stated in another Jay Leno thread

I don't see any reason for Pres. of the United States to be on a Talk Show?

I don't want the Pres. to have a beer with Leno and check out Leno's car collection.

I want Pres. in Michigan if he's interested in car's..

Now he'll have to bowl in the special Olympics to prove he's one of the "Guys"...

no harm meant..

Patsy

Why not, if you don't think that should be on talk shows, how about when Blair appeared on a comedy skit for Red Nose Day in the UK.

I think that it is great.

YouTube - Catherine Tate and Blair, Red Nose Day
Clint

Post by Clint »

mikeinie;1160884 wrote: Bush wouldn't even have know what the Special Olympics were.

Thank you for the thoughtful insight.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

mikeinie;1160884 wrote: Bush wouldn't even have know what the Special Olympics were.

Id think hed be keenly aware of the special olympics. Right up his alley.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;1160881 wrote: You're so partisan you're eyes are brown.

Just ignore the exact same drips from the democrat side against Ford, Reagan, and the Bushes.

aside: do two bushes make a hedge? :yh_think

Take it from me. They are not amused at poop references around here.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Clint;1160882 wrote: This is hilarious:yh_rotfl The same people who couldn’t wait to castigate the last President for every gaff are now defending this one. If George W. Bush had said what Barak H. Obama said about the Special Olympics the PC crowd would be calling for his resignation and would have added the heinous crime to the list of things they wanted him impeached for. PC is not something the right has trumpeted...it's roots are on the left.

It's simply not true. I've consistently criticized the Bush Administration for treason and criminality, I've never laughed at their front man. He doesn't amuse me. He has never brought a smile to my face. My visceral response to seeing his image these days is to spit.
Clint

Post by Clint »

spot;1160977 wrote: It's simply not true. I've consistently criticized the Bush Administration for treason and criminality, I've never laughed at their front man. He doesn't amuse me. He has never brought a smile to my face. My visceral response to seeing his image these days is to spit.

I didn't say you were laughing at the Bush Administration. The left was very serious about never showing a positive emotion in that direction. In fact the left was so serious about it, it was/is funny.

I am afraid that in a very short time there will be a lot of people wanting to spit at what this President is doing. That, of course, will be met with shocked disbelief and rage by the left. :driving:
reddog

Post by reddog »

IHOP now thats funny! :yh_rotfl

Return to “Current Political Events”