National Day Of Mourning

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
mrsK

National Day Of Mourning

Post by mrsK »

Just watched the tribute.:-4:-4

Very sad & moving speeches.

The worst of nature, the best of humanity | smh.com.au
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
OpenMind

National Day Of Mourning

Post by OpenMind »

There are no words I can use to express how I feel. May God bless you all.

My heart and thoughts are continually with those communities and people who have been affected by the fires either directly or by losing their friends and loved ones.

I am also grateful to Fuzzywuzzy and appreciate his running commentary as he did battle on the front line.

:-4
mrsK

National Day Of Mourning

Post by mrsK »

OpenMind;1142252 wrote: There are no words I can use to express how I feel. May God bless you all.

My heart and thoughts are continually with those communities and people who have been affected by the fires either directly or by losing their friends and loved ones.

I am also grateful to Fuzzywuzzy and appreciate his running commentary as he did battle on the front line.

:-4

Thanks Om,much appreciated.

By the way Fuzzy is a she & she did a great job all round.

I am proud of her & for her:-4:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Odie

National Day Of Mourning

Post by Odie »

I am hoping to catch it on our news later tonight.

There are, no words to describe how I feel about the lives lost, the homes that are no longer there......the injured.......the devastation.

Fuzzy, a special thanks to you, in helping people through this, you are brave and courageous...........and for always keeping us updated.:-4

My prayers and thoughts are with everyone.
Life is just to short for drama.
Kindle

National Day Of Mourning

Post by Kindle »

I saw part of this tribute this morning on our news channel. The world is mourning with you.

I understand that there are still fires burning, but that the worst is behind you.

Fuzzy's updates were very informative and it was good to know that those FG members there that we know were all safe.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
OpenMind

National Day Of Mourning

Post by OpenMind »

mrsK;1142281 wrote: Thanks Om,much appreciated.

By the way Fuzzy is a she & she did a great job all round.

I am proud of her & for her:-4:-6

Ha! I thought it was a strange choice of name for a male. I stand corrected and hope Fuzzy hasn't been offended by my presumption. I am proud and delighted and somewhat humbled to know her through FG.
Odie

National Day Of Mourning

Post by Odie »

By Mick Tsikas

ADVERTISEMENT

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australians observed a day of mourning on Sunday for the more than 200 people killed in this month's bushfire disaster, with thousands attending solemn ceremonies across the country.

Bells rang to start the main ceremony at an arena in Melbourne, capital of the disaster-hit southern state of Victoria, which was followed by a traditional greeting from Aboriginal elders.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd called for the date when the fires were at their height, February 7, to be marked annually with a minute's silence. The day has become known in Australia as 'Black Saturday'.

Rudd paid tribute to the fire fighters who tackled the blazes and victims who rallied around to help one another, recalling how many had flown the Australian flag after the disaster, in some cases using burned saplings as flagpoles.

Police have said 209 people were killed in the fires that swept across Victoria, Australia's worst natural disaster in more than a century.

More than 1,800 homes were destroyed in the fires.

Australians had shown courage, compassion and resilience, Rudd said at the ceremony in Melbourne. "Courage is a fire fighter standing before the gates of hell unflinching and unyielding and with eyes of steel saying this: 'Here I stand, I can do no other'," he said.

Several fires were still burning in Victoria on Sunday, with forecasts of more hot weather on Monday. Some of the fires have raged for more than two weeks and have only slowly been brought under control.

Victoria's coroner Jennifer Coate halted clear-up operations in several areas this weekend after more human remains were found.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Australia”