its snow joke the AA grumpy column

What's the weather like today?
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

hello and welcome to a winter grumpy land

yes its snowed again and the country,s come to a standstill still you can keep warm with grumps eh ??

MUCH of Britain woke up to its heaviest snowfalls for 18 years today.

experts predicted ten inches in some areas by tonight, with more than a foot in the NORTH by tomorrow.

Temperatures plunged to -2°C (28°F) last night as Siberian winds swept in, with the SOUTH EAST and PENNINES bearing the brunt.

And forecasters warned thermometers could drop to as low as -5°C (19°F) later in the week.

Motoring groups warned drivers to avoid unnecessary trips with the winds tipped to hit 35mph.

London and large parts of East and South East England got a taste of the whiteout as four and a half inches fell overnight.

London Transport suspended its bus services because of dangerous conditions on the roads.

Both runways at HEATHROW AIRPORT are currently closed.

It follows a plane sliding on to the grass at Heathrow, the country’s biggest airport, which was blanketed in snow. All flights from there have now been cancelled until at least 5pm.

A British Airports Authority spokeswoman said a Cyprus Air aircraft was taxiing at Heathrow airport shortly after 8.30am when its front wheel “went on to the grass”.

No one was injured in the incident, which did not happen on a runway, but passengers were still on board and airport officials were working out a way to get them off, she said.

Travellers at STANSTED AIRPORT in Essex have been warned to expect severe delays.

Runways at GATWICK and LONDON CITY airports were temporarily closed for de-icing last night. Gatwick is open, but there have been significant delays and cancellations, and London City is still closed.

Passengers flying out of NEWCASTLE AIRPORT were also affected by the freezing weather conditions, with flights being delayed and cancelled.

A snow shower forced the temporary closure of the runway at BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, a spokeswoman said.

Flights at LUTON AIRPORT were suspended this morning as snow brought runways to a halt.

An airport spokeswoman said there had been 15 departure cancellations and three arrival flights, while other flights were diverted elsewhere.

A number of train services linking LONDON and the SOUTH COAST were also delayed or cancelled as snow drifted on to the tracks.

This morning, parts of the M25 were at a standstill and all London Underground lines except for the Central and Victoria lines were suspended or part suspended.

Hundreds of schools across the country have been forced to close – with more than 100,000 parents told their kids were off school by text.

Schools in southern England were among the worst affected.

In ESSEX alone, around 400 schools were closed, about three quarters of the schools in the county.

NORTHUMBERLAND and DURHAM were also badly affected with a total of 63 schools in Co Durham and 54 in Northumberland shut all day, councils said.

A further three primary schools in SUNDERLAND were also shut for the day.

In CUMBRIA, 123 schools were closed, the county council said. Lancashire County Council said that 19 schools were shut, with the majority in EAST LANCASHIRE.

In GREATER MANCHESTER, two schools were closed in BURY, one in SALFORD and one in ROCHDALE as a result of the adverse weather conditions.

HAMPSHIRE County Council said most of its 540 schools were closed today due to the weather.

In OXFORDSHIRE, 31 schools were either closed for the day or due to close this afternoon, the county council said.

In SURREY, all schools were closed while more than 150 more were forced to shut in BUCKINGHAMSHIRE.

Crown courts have also been hit with the Old Bailey in London shut down and no courts sitting at SOUTHWARK because of “travel difficulties for staff, jurors, judges and defendants”.

ISLEWORTH, in west London, has also suspended “all sittings”, but HARROW “hoped to sit some courts”, while WOOD GREEN reported “business as normal as far as we know at the moment”.

Tom Defty, head of Forecasting Operations at MetService, said: “Parts of SOUTH EAST ENGLAND, including London, will see anywhere from 10-15cm of snow today, perhaps above 20cm over higher ground.

“Accompanied by strong winds, the worst of the snow will arrive in KENT before spreading NORTH and WEST to the rest of England during the afternoon."

Last night thousands of drivers were held up for hours as snow coated the M25 motorway. Parts of the M20 in KENT were also closed.

The Met Office’s Nigel Bolton warned: “It’s going to be the worst snow since 1991."

A spokeswoman for TomTom said the longest queue of the morning formed on the M25 between junction 19 at Watford and junction 8 at REIGATE.

At about 8.45am, motorists in a whopping 53.8 mile tailback faced a delay of about two and a half hours.

A snapshot survey by employment law firm Peninsula revealed more than one in five people took the day off work because of the snow.

One in four bosses said they would allow staff who made it into the office to leave early, according to the study.

The PENNINES took the brunt of the extreme weather. Cops closing the A66 route which links CUMBRIA and CO DURHAM for at least 24 hours.

But LONDON and the SOUTH EAST will be unusually badly affected too.

Last night blizzards were causing problems in CENTRAL LONDON. Rail services to KENT and the south coast were delayed or cancelled due to drifts on tracks.

Earlier locals ventured out for a walk on a snow-coated beach in Walberswick, SUFFOLK. This winter has been the coldest for 13 years. Bookies William Hill have cut the price of 2009 being the UK’s coldest on record from 12/1 to 8/1.

It's snow joke out there | The Sun |News

AAG

what is it with this country a bit of snow and the whole of the uk grinds to a total halt.

havent they heard of snow ploughs gritters and doing some physical work with a shovel ?

my goodnights when i was younger (by the way im 43 now 44 in may) when it snowed we still had to go to school the buses ran the trains ran and everyone just got on with it .

now the slightest covering of snow and its pandemonium everywhere how do you think the russians or even the canadians cope with it and they get it worse than us.

although there is one good thing thats come out of this and although i am actually a yorkshireman now living in nottinghamshire the good thing is that the southerners have got all the heavy snow this time :D

they dont know what snow is down south .

AAG
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Couldnt agree more. We have turned into a nation of wimps.

Why is the tube closed? Its underground for god's sake:thinking:

We have had much worse snow and it was never labelled as extreme.

Extreme is not being able to get out the front door lol...

Government nambie pambies are frightened to get their suits wet:D

Do you know we didnt have one gritter wagon on the roads, a*se holes the lot of them... AND the bloody councill tax is going up:-5
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

dang global warming! :D
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

sunny104;1124903 wrote: dang global warming! :D

We used to have worse winters Sunny, we just got softer and turned into wimps:D
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

What are you moaning about? Get out there with a sledge! Been having a great time!

Just been watching the kids of all ages from 6 to 60 sledging in Richmond Park (and I was one of them). Fantastic!

When you walk through the Kingston Gate, the hill is 3 or 4 hundred yards to your right - you could here the kids yelling and laughter, see the dogs playing and in the three or four hours I've been out there not a cross word or hint of trouble anywhere, all ages, colours, creeds mixed up together falling down a hill giggling. Restored my faith in human nature.:-6
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

pantoandy;1124783 wrote:

AAG

what is it with this country a bit of snow and the whole of the uk grinds to a total halt.

havent they heard of snow ploughs gritters and doing some physical work with a shovel ?

my goodnights when i was younger (by the way im 43 now 44 in may) when it snowed we still had to go to school the buses ran the trains ran and everyone just got on with it .

now the slightest covering of snow and its pandemonium everywhere how do you think the russians or even the canadians cope with it and they get it worse than us.

although there is one good thing thats come out of this and although i am actually a yorkshireman now living in nottinghamshire the good thing is that the southerners have got all the heavy snow this time :D

they dont know what snow is down south .AAG

Your having a giraffe mate.

But for those slightly longer in the tooth, snow blizzards and wintery drifts are a vivid memory.

1991: In mid-February, snow drifts up to three metres high crippled road and rail networks across the country. On February 7, 30cm of snow fell overnight in north-east England and 25cm in London.

The harsh winter was remembered largely because of the freezing temperatures that followed the heavy blizzards.

The cold and snowy snap lasted for 10 days, affecting the economy as people stayed indoors rather than venturing out to the shops.

1981/2: On January 8 and 9, 1982, heavy snow and gale force winds saw severe blizzards across southern England, the Midlands, Wales and Ireland.

Transport services were thrown into chaos and millions of commuters failed to get to work in London for two days running.

Worst hit were Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, where snow lay 60cm deep with drifts six metres high.

On December 13, 1981, snow swamped the south of England and even the Queen became stranded for several hours in a Cotswold pub.

Two ships foundered in the English Channel, sea-defences were breached along the Bristol Channel and some homes in Somerset were without electricity for five days.

1962/3: Blizzards and drifting snow affected the whole country with 12 inches of snow in London.

Throughout January and February, widespread snow stopped tens of thousands of children getting to school.

Snow up to six metres deep across England, Wales and Scotland saw villages cut off, power lines brought down and trains cancelled.

Livestock were trapped in fields as farmers struggled to reach them through the snow.

Between Boxing Day 1962 and the beginning of March 1963, much of the UK was covered in snow.

1946/7: One of the snowiest winters of the 20th century, at its heaviest in January 1947, reaching as far south as the south west and the Scilly Isles.

A blizzard in March saw heavy snow across England and Wales, which stayed on the ground because of the cold temperatures.

Drifts of snow reached five metres deep and the armed forces were brought in to deliver supplies to people trapped in their homes. In the Scottish Highlands, snow drifted to seven metres deep.

1925: Six foot walls of snow were a regular occurrence as people were forced to dig their cars and themselves out of the drifts.

Snow fell particularly hard across London, East Anglia and north east England

Tut Tut Panto. I would have thought a journalist of your calibre would have done some research into us Southern Softie's.

Snow? .. BRING IT ON. :D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Barman

Post by Barman »

We have had a light dusting of the white stuff and no more, tis a bit nippy though.
Oscar Namechange

Barman;1125174 wrote: We have had a light dusting of the white stuff and no more, tis a bit nippy though.

I went out to feed the foxes last night at midnight and got quite excited as there were a few flakes but today....... NOTHING:mad::mad::mad:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Barman

Post by Barman »

oscar;1125180 wrote: I went out to feed the foxes last night at midnight and got quite excited as there were a few flakes but today....... NOTHING:mad::mad::mad:

Lets you and i do a snow dance.:)
Oscar Namechange

Barman;1125196 wrote: Lets you and i do a snow dance.:)

Right.... I feel really dumb right now. I have been in-doors all day and have looked outside the front door. We have 2 inches of snow. Everything is white.

:yh_rotfl

According to Mr O, it's been falling fast for a few hours. The flakes are pretty big and now i'm wondering when it's going to stop :(:(
Bez

Post by Bez »

6" here in sussex. My Boiler's not giving me any heating only hot water so I'm wrapped up warm and putting off turning on the fan heater and convector....never mind....a 'very nice man' is coming out tomorrow am to fix things...hopefully.

Been a lot of disruption but better for planes to be grounded than have accidents.

Most of the population don't know how to drive in icy conditions....result...disaster.

I guess more people commute further nowadays therefore teachers etc can't get in to work. I experienced some bad weather in the 60's but everyone was able to get to school / work because they lived within walking distance.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Oscar Namechange

Bez;1125215 wrote: 6" here in sussex. My Boiler's not giving me any heating only hot water so I'm wrapped up warm and putting off turning on the fan heater and convector....never mind....a 'very nice man' is coming out tomorrow am to fix things...hopefully.

Been a lot of disruption but better for planes to be grounded than have accidents.

Most of the population don't know how to drive in icy conditions....result...disaster.

I guess more people commute further nowadays therefore teachers etc can't get in to work. I experienced some bad weather in the 60's but everyone was able to get to school / work because they lived within walking distance.

You poor thing. I have builders due in Thursday. They are ripping out all the central heating and the boiler (although that's no way to talk bout Mr O's mum).

Do we cancel????

We will be without heat and hot water for two days. I've waited a year for this work.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Heatings fixed but had 6 hours of power cuts yesterday....snow's gone but think there may be more on the way..............
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Oscar Namechange

Bez;1128630 wrote: Heatings fixed but had 6 hours of power cuts yesterday....snow's gone but think there may be more on the way..............

We still got 5 inches nad the builders have just finished. Last night and all today, we had no hot water or heat but they loaned us sme convector heaters for the night. They have done a brilliant job so i can't complain. I nearly had to kill one and bury him under the floor-boards when he let slip that he goes fox hunting. Then, he was good looking in a disturbing galbally type way, so i let him go.

Return to “Weather Station”