Satire bites in odd directions sometimes

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

Post by spot »

This is from 1975. It's The Goodies on the topic of South Africa during its most rabid apartheid days.

For some reason ForumGarden doesn't have an embedded section for politics.

I have a strong suspicion that The Goodies never made it to US TV screens. This might be why.

I'd be interested in any reactions from either side of the pond.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

arrrrr How i miss them. That's the stuff i grew up on.

Wicked wicked Spot :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

The deathly silence you can hear is shock, I imagine.

I think they got a lot into that thirty minutes.

I also think Philip Madoc was one of our great actors judging from his stunningly violent performance in The Last of the Mohicans or his earlier performance opposite Alan Badel and Michael Gough in The Count of Monte Cristo. He looks like he enjoyed playing in this.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1112702 wrote: The deathly silence you can hear is shock, I imagine.

I think they got a lot into that thirty minutes.

I also think Philip Madoc was one of our great actors judging from his stunningly violent performance in The Last of the Mohicans or his earlier performance opposite Alan Badel and Michael Gough in The Count of Monte Cristo. He looks like he enjoyed playing in this.

I hear the deathly silence also :)

I wondered where i had seen the actor Madoc before.

I wonder if there is any clips around for 'Love thy Neighbour'? Another great British classic.

The goodie's had a pythonesque quality about them that i believe was ahead of their time. The comical timing between the three of them was genious. I even remember my father roaring with mirth at them. I wish they would re-run the entire episodes.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1112752 wrote: I wondered where i had seen the actor Madoc before.As the U boat captain in that episode of Dad's Army.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1112758 wrote: As the U boat captain in that episode of Dad's Army.

Yes, I remember now. well well well. He was quite handsome as well. Who'd have thought that Bill Odie would end up an irritable bird twitcher?
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1112771 wrote: Yes, I remember now. well well well. He was quite handsome as well. Who'd have thought that Bill Odie would end up an irritable bird twitcher?

Bill Oddie's greatest achievement was to write and perform at least one song in every one of the hundred or so episodes of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, some of which songs were astoundingly good. Most were entirely his own but he gave a lifetime performance with Ilkley Moor in the style of Joe Cocker singing With A Little Help From My Friends, complete with a pause half way through that was five seconds longer than you'd think possible. I might even have a copy of that on my hard drive. As far as his own songs went I think I liked My Baby's Gone best, it was a love song in such poor taste the Americans censored at least one verse when they broadcast the series.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1112781 wrote: Bill Oddie's greatest achievement was to write and perform at least one song in every one of the hundred or so episodes of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, some of which songs were astoundingly good. Most were entirely his own but he gave a lifetime performance with Ilkley Moor in the style of Joe Cocker singing With A Little Help From My Friends, complete with a pause half way through that was five seconds longer than you'd think possible. I might even have a copy of that on my hard drive. As far as his own songs went I think I liked My Baby's Gone best, it was a love song in such poor taste the Americans censored at least one verse when they broadcast the series.
I did not know any of this. Very interesting. It would be great if you could post the copy.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Irreverent and hilarious love it..:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

CARLA;1112847 wrote: Irreverent and hilarious love it..:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

We had some fabulous comedy years ago. Of course we can't do or say things like that these days which just makes it all the more naughty to look back on. :):)
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ah the seventies, when inflation was in double figures, nelson mandela was a dangerous terrorist and south africa one of our major allies in the war against whatever, the shah was in iran and the iconic british leyland car was a beige morris marina.

was philip madoc not the master in doctor who at one point?
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1112898 wrote: was philip madoc not the master in doctor who at one point?You're perhaps thinking of Roger Delgado, and a worthy adversary he played too. I enjoyed those occasions when he was deviously wickeding on the screen.

Philip Madoc as Magua the Huron was one of the sexiest role-models of the twentieth century. Errol Flynn wasn't even close.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1112800 wrote: I did not know any of this. Very interesting. It would be great if you could post the copy.

I found one but it's not the most perfect sound quality imaginable. Partly because it's off a 1969 tape off the radio by the sound of it but you might get the gist of some of the humour. There's a Bill Oddie paean to Jimmy Young half way through as well.

ISIRTA 1969-01-26

They don't make programs like that any more.
spot

Post by spot »

I almost hate to do this but I found another one with Mr Oddie singing in French...

ISIRTA 69-02-09

Do you know the Ferret Song?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I used to love the goodies when I was little in the 70s, I didn't really get what was going on in it, but they were funny because they fell over a lot and got hit by things. Its quite surprising looking back at it, because the humour is a lot more biting and adult than I realized, though of course its done in a kinda ludicrous and twee way.

Its amazing how free people were to say things on mainstream british TV in those days that were actually controversial. Nowadays, you can curse and be vulgar all you want of course, or show your genitals, but you can't really say things about race or religion at all anymore to a ridiculous degree, or seriously question certain things that are now taken as PC gospel.

Interesting, it shows our modern lack of confidence about ourselves I think.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1112702 wrote: I also think Philip Madoc was one of our great actors judging from his stunningly violent performance in The Last of the Mohicans or his earlier performance opposite Alan Badel and Michael Gough in The Count of Monte Cristo. He looks like he enjoyed playing in this.

Rather than open a "Philip Madoc, RIP" thread for one of the great actors of my lifetime, and considering how large a part he played in the episode in the opening post, I thought I'd just bump this one instead. I'm pleased at how consistently admired he's shown to be in the comments section of the BBC announcement at BBC News - Philip Madoc of Lloyd George and Dad's Army fame dies
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1112898 wrote: Ah the seventies, when inflation was in double figures, nelson mandela was a dangerous terrorist and south africa one of our major allies in the war against whatever, the shah was in iran and the iconic british leyland car was a beige morris marina.

was philip madoc not the master in doctor who at one point?

I thought so too but apparently not :-

"Doctor Who" (15 episodes )

The Krotons: Episode 1 (28 December 1968) - Eelek

The Krotons: Episode 3 (11 January 1969) - Eelek

The Krotons: Episode 4 (18 January 1969) - Eelek

The War Games: Episode 7 (1 June 1969) - The War Lord

The War Games: Episode 8 (8 June 1969) - The War Lord

The War Games: Episode Nine (15 June 1969) - War Lord

The War Games: Episode Ten (22 June 1969) - The War Lord

The Brain of Morbius: Part One (3 January 1976) - Solon

The Brain of Morbius: Part Two (10 January 1976) - Solon

The Brain of Morbius: Part Three (17 January 1976) - Solon

The Brain of Morbius: Part Four (24 January 1976) - Solon

The Power of Kroll: Part 1 (23 December 1978) - Fenner

The Power of Kroll: Part 2 (30 December 1978) - Fenner

The Power of Kroll: Part 3 (6 January 1979) - Fenner

The Power of Kroll: Part 4 (13 January 1979) - Fenner
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

DANG! Sorry I missed that. The youtube account has been terminated.

Reckon someone was not amused?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I remember the episode of the Goodies when the giant Kitten was stomping all over London....... And I always wanted their bike.

Return to “Travel Places”