Needlepoint as a Distraction

Discuss knitting, embroidery, crocheting, and other types of creative needlework.
sibyl

Post by sibyl »

My father passed away suddenly in mid December from a massive heart attack. It was an unexpected blow and my 76 year old mother is trying her best to cope but I know she is in pain. On the days when she can't fix her mind on anything, I was thinking maybe needlepoint might be a good way to help her focus on something.

I'm only a novice with it myself but I've found that some aspects to it, from sorting thread to following the pattern to making sure the threads aren't twisted are a good distraction from things that may be pressing on my mind. I haven't done needlepoint in a few years. But I bought her a kit of a lovely picture of heirloom roses and I plan to take it with me next week when I go to visit her and teach her the basics.

I don't know if it will help or not but I'm willing to try anything! Wish me luck!
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

It's all therapy....

needlepoint - crochet - knitting - I crochet & sew..

yes - good idea - good therapy

Good luck & sorry for your loss

Patsy
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Doing things like knitting and needlepoint is a good thing to keep the mind occupied. It helps.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I am so sorry for your loss, keeping busy is the best medicine:-6!
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

My condolences for the recent loss of your father.

Has your mother done needle-point before? How does she feel about a new hobby? Is there something else she has shown that she enjoys already?

Needle-point is a great hobby. There is also scrap-booking, joining a Senior Ladies club or a church grouo., painting, making jewelry.

I wish her..... and you.... all the best.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

While your Mom is still in the midst of her grieving for your father, she may not have the necessary energy to put into learning a new craft. Perhaps just spending time with your mother would help keep her connected with the life around her. And, if there is something she is already skilled at, perhaps you could ask her to help you learn it. Could be as simple as making piecrust, pruning plants or altering a pattern..................

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Good idea Kindle

Sible - I'm wondering why your asking about needle point/crafts - has your Mother disconnected from her daily routine ?

or she just seems lonely?

I like Kindle's ideas if she's just lonely.

Patsy
sibyl

Post by sibyl »

Good morning all and thank you for your kind comments.

My mother hasn't disconnected from the world around her but she is full of turmoil as is to be expected. Her anxieties often seem like they are overwhelming her. She is limited physically in her activities so I guess I was just thinking of something to distract her mind. Needlepoint came to mind because it's the only craft I personally can teach her and I'm no expert at it myself. But I figured if we sit down together and start working on it, maybe it will take her mind off things even if for a short while. She used to be an avid counted cross-stitcher but had gotten away from it over the last decade or so. When I told her I was going to buy her a needlepoint kit and show her how, she seemed pleased. So I'm going with it!

Return to “Needlecrafts”