Commentary...Arizona environmental group found guilty of false accusation and libel.

BTS

Commentary...Arizona environmental group found guilty of false accusation and libel.

Post by BTS »

Commentary...

Arizona environmental group found guilty of false accusation and libel

By Gretchen Randall

March 15, 2005

Recently a jury found the radical environmental group, Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), guilty of making "false, unfair, libelous, and defamatory statements" against an Arizona rancher, Jim Chilton.

The jury awarded Chilton $100,000 in actual damages and $500,000 in punitive damages for defaming him. CBD had posted a link on its website in 2002, to 21 photos of his grazing allotment, that the jury decided were false and misleading, in an effort to block renewal of Chilton's grazing permit. The jury also found CBD incorrectly described the condition of the allotment, northwest of Nogales.

Chilton said he filed the suit to challenge the way CBD does business. "They don't use science, they use scare tactics. They also use endangered species as surrogates to obtain their own goals and to raise money," according to Chilton, who says he will donate the money remaining after his expenses to the Arizona Cattle Growers Association.

Mr. Chilton and his wife are allowed to graze between 400 and 500 head of cattle on the "Montana allotment" on the border between Arizona and New Mexico. The 21,500 acre allotment is in the Coronado National Forest, and managed by the U.S. Forest Service.

Comment 1: The table is turned on this group, which has destroyed many people's livelihoods and businesses over the years.

Comment 2: Exactly as Mr. Chilton has said, this group has used the Endangered Species Act to further its goals, and as a fundraising tool. It's time a jury has told them to stop using these tactics to put ranchers out of business.

Background and links:

The lawsuit named not only the Center for Biological Diversity, but also four of its current and former employees: Martin Taylor, Shane Jimerfield, A.J. Schneller, and Kieran Suckling.

In 1996, the CBD, then known as the Southwest Center for Biological Diversity, filed a lawsuit that virtually stopped timber harvesting in eleven national forests in the Southwest, claiming that the U.S. Forest Service was not sufficiently protecting the Mexican spotted owl.

CBD has an annual budget of $2.9 million and assets of $2.4 million. For more information about the case, you may contact Mr. Chilton's attorney, Kraig Marton at 602-570-3510.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
CVX

Post by CVX »

Outstanding. These people are finally being held accountable.
FJBear

Post by FJBear »

Hi,

We are having a similar situation here in the UK where a number of for-profit environment groups are being found out because they claim that you can purchase trees from them and make you whole life carbon free!

It turns out that this is marketing hype and that they are actually not planting any trees themselves!

Check out below link - which has some information on the matter and further links - if of interest to you.

http://www.carbon-info.org/carboninfo_044.htm
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

FJBear...this link appears in every post you have made so far...what's that all about? I won't hit the link itself, since I have no idea who you are, so maybe you could tell us a bit more about yourself and your "cause" so those interested can check out your link....
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

bit of an agenda methinks BR ...
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

lady cop wrote: bit of an agenda methinks BR ...
Methinks you're probably right, but I like to give a select few a chance...FJB just happened to win the drawing today.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

'cause you're in a good mood eh? ;)
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

lady cop wrote: 'cause you're in a good mood eh? ;)
YOU KNOW IT, BABY!!!! :yh_bigsmi
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

FJBear

Post by FJBear »

Hi,

I am fairly new to this 'forum thing' and if I am guity of a 'methinks BR' ?? Please explain ?? - then this is obviously not intended?!

Simply tried to add a little intelligent debate to a few points to see if there was anyone out there actually reading this stuff - obviously there is!!!

I care a lot about the planet and I spend a considerable amount of time reading all the climate and global warming sites I can get my hands on. At this particular point in time I am reading some of the stuff on carbon-info - and copied in what I believe to be a few links. Next week it will possibly be another site etc.

Nice to meet you all, but the way. And any coments on some of the environmental points I have made?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

nice to meet you and welcome...:-6 ...it's simply that sometimes new posters are pushing something in which they have a financial stake. and some here rather not click on "strange" links.
Okie

Post by Okie »

BTS wrote: Commentary...

Arizona environmental group found guilty of false accusation and libel

By Gretchen Randall

March 15, 2005

Recently a jury found the radical environmental group, Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), guilty of making "false, unfair, libelous, and defamatory statements" against an Arizona rancher, Jim Chilton.

The jury awarded Chilton $100,000 in actual damages and $500,000 in punitive damages for defaming him. CBD had posted a link on its website in 2002, to 21 photos of his grazing allotment, that the jury decided were false and misleading, in an effort to block renewal of Chilton's grazing permit. The jury also found CBD incorrectly described the condition of the allotment, northwest of Nogales.

Chilton said he filed the suit to challenge the way CBD does business. "They don't use science, they use scare tactics. They also use endangered species as surrogates to obtain their own goals and to raise money," according to Chilton, who says he will donate the money remaining after his expenses to the Arizona Cattle Growers Association.

Mr. Chilton and his wife are allowed to graze between 400 and 500 head of cattle on the "Montana allotment" on the border between Arizona and New Mexico. The 21,500 acre allotment is in the Coronado National Forest, and managed by the U.S. Forest Service.

Comment 1: The table is turned on this group, which has destroyed many people's livelihoods and businesses over the years.

Comment 2: Exactly as Mr. Chilton has said, this group has used the Endangered Species Act to further its goals, and as a fundraising tool. It's time a jury has told them to stop using these tactics to put ranchers out of business.

Background and links:

The lawsuit named not only the Center for Biological Diversity, but also four of its current and former employees: Martin Taylor, Shane Jimerfield, A.J. Schneller, and Kieran Suckling.

In 1996, the CBD, then known as the Southwest Center for Biological Diversity, filed a lawsuit that virtually stopped timber harvesting in eleven national forests in the Southwest, claiming that the U.S. Forest Service was not sufficiently protecting the Mexican spotted owl.

CBD has an annual budget of $2.9 million and assets of $2.4 million. For more information about the case, you may contact Mr. Chilton's attorney, Kraig Marton at 602-570-3510...

I like the tag line. I didnt know he said that. Good for him. I go to tompaine.com sometimes. Gives you something to think about.

I dont like to follow any churches dictates either. Especially when I see someone like Jerry Fallwell on tv. He has a dirty mind. Really. He is the one who imagined that Tinky Winky was gay. It a PUPPET!!! And last time I saw Jerry Fallwell on tv he really was masturbating a microphone. Really!! This is a spiritual leader?

Return to “Conservation The Environment”