An Australian Walkabout with Magenta

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello My Friend Mags....:-4

Netflex has finally delivered the Aussie movie "Walkabout." I'm watching the movie right now and cannot even begin to tell you how much I love this story.....Actually, I'm overwhelmed...to say the least.

This is truly one of the most brilliant movies I have ever seen. I'm so amazed with how the characters are adapting to each other's ways.

:-6I'm only 2/3 the way through the movie, and I don't want this wonderful movie to end.... I will watch this movie many times.

OK now.....I'll finish watching the movie and chat soon.

Thanks for sharing this movie with us Mags...It's wonderful..

Here's a link to "Walkabout"......

Walkabout (1971)
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

:) I'll have to watch it sometime. Sounds great!
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Mags:-6

Sorry that I haven't able to spend more time posting in FG. I loved the movie "Walkabout" and have such mixed feelings about it. Hopefully, I'll be on more this weekend to discuss the movie....geeze...the ending was disturbing. to say the least....:confused: wiping ants from a dead body...and not showing a sign of remorse:confused:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

WARNING...WARNING....DON'T READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED WHEN WATCHING THIS MOVIE....THERE ARE SPOILERS ABOUT...

Hello Mags:-6

I spent the day with my family today, and we talked about lots of movies. I was telling them about "Walkabout" as I know that they love foreign films and plan to vist Oz one day.

I really thought the movie was brilliant and so sad. It amazed me that a parent would want to kill his children and then himself.....no one saw this coming:confused:? It seems that there was certainly no love loss between the parent and children. The children never spoke of their Dad during their whole journey. I wonder what happened with their relationship??

I loved the relationship between the children and the aboriginal boy. They were so lucky to find someone who would save their lives. The end of the movie was so disheartening for me. I understood the fact that she didn't understand that the aboriginal boy was courting her, but was shocked at the fact that she and brother didn't care that he committed suicide.....maybe due to her rejection of his courting??

She just wiped off the ants from his poor body hanging from a tree and they just moved on...same as they did when their Dad killed himself...

I just wonder what really happened with the family dynamics:confused:

I also wondered about how David Gulpilil remains true to his aboriginal roots and also the modern world of acting in a film....

When I watching the girl. I realized that I "kinda knew her face," but absolutely KNEW her voice. I couldn't sleep for a bit trying to think of where I heard her voice before. Then, I realized that she was the character of Isobel in Rosamunde Pilcher's movie "September." Can't believe that I made that connection. They are both wonderful actors.

How do you feel about the movie?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

H Ha I finally found a clip of the movie

YouTube - Walkabout, 1971 classic by Nicolas Roeg

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

WOOOOO HHHOOOOO found the whole movie!!!!!!

If anyone is interested in art house films this is for you :)

YouTube - W//WWLKBT PART 1 1971
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OMG I think I just realised the family dynamics it has to do with the food
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I saw that film many years ago on television. I thought (and still do think) that it is a remarkable film, and I became fascinated with all films coming out of Australia since I saw Walkabout. David Gulpilil appeared in another fascinating film about a seabird, which I cannot remember the title of grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Although not quite as striking as Walkabout, it still imprinted itself on my mind ! Perhaps somebody can remind me of the title ?

Thanks for putting the link up for the whole film Walkabout - I've put it on my 'bookmarks' :-6 :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Stormboy:) About a boy and a pelican
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

fuzzywuzzy;1220070 wrote: Stormboy:) About a boy and a pelican

Yay !!!!!!! That's the fella ---- thanks Fuzzy !!!!! :guitarist ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Your Welcome..............School text, had to read it ..............as you can see I still remember therefore the trauma continues :wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

G#Gill;1220072 wrote: Yay !!!!!!! That's the fella ---- thanks Fuzzy !!!!! :guitarist ;)

when stormboy meets fingerbone bill (Guplil as a man) cool scene "you live here with your people?"

YouTube - Storm Boy - Fingerbone Bill

and the whole movie as well

I'm getting bloody good at this
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Gill and Mags,

I still think about that movie...it had a big impact on me.

Thanks for putting up "Stormboy" I will watch it later or this weekend.

I think that David G is a fabulous actor:-6:-6

Any other Aussie movies to recommend Mags...put them here ok, and I'll order them from Netflix.

Thanks
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hi Kathy , shall do
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oh you're going to love me now Kathy!!!!

Gallipoli..................Fnatastic film I fell in love with, one of Mel Gibsons first films. Extremely funny and an exellent showing of australian values in the beginning of the 1900's

YouTube - Gallipoli (part 1)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Omg I just watched the behind the scenes doco about the making of Rabbit proof fence. Holy hell!!!!!! I had know idea wha the actors (especially the children went through.

A must watch

YouTube - Rabbit Proof Fence Documentary - forced removal scene
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Can I add these very distinctive and excellent Aussie films!

Sampson and Delilah

Muriel's Wedding

The Castle

The Club

The Nugget

The Man who Sued God

The Dish

Kenny

Man from Snowy River

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

My Brilliant Career

Looking for Alibrandi

Strictly Ballroom

Ned Kelly

Picnic at Hanging Rock

We of the Never Never
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

shine

romper stomper

Have you ever seen 'The Interview? That's a fantastic film scary as all hell.

"The dish" was good . dubs and hoppy I reckon would like that one.

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

No, I haven't seen the interview. I loved 'The Castle' - the High Court judge looked and sounded like my Dad! Also, loved The Man Who Sued God. Billy Conolly was fantastic, and the scenery is the south coast of NSW, very familiar territory.

Strictly Ballroom - had that awesome scene in the Spanish house too...

I'm very proud of these kind of Aussie movies - all lowish budget, and quirky as heck. Very Australian without being ocker like the Hollywood Croc Dundee type films.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I find Croc dundee rather embarrassing myself.

The interview mostly filmed in the four walls of a police interview room. The tension and build up was fantastic. Lets just say this poor bloke is picked up for a crime and you do feel sorry for him. I can't say anymore than that because it would spoil it.

Hugo Weaving just brilliant as the suspect.

If somebody told me that there is an Australian movie called The Interview, which runs for almost two hours and spends about 90% of that time in the same interview room, I would have thought "Wow, sounds really boring." Well, it is not boring by a long shot. The Interview is one of the best, possibly even _the_ best, Australian movies of the 1990s.

A man, unknown to us to begin with, is arrested under very unpleasant circumstances, in the early hours just before dawn. He is abused and roughly treated, finally being humiliated like a disobedient child. He is then taken to the police station and left for over an hour in an interview room. He is denied food, and is told that he has been brought in for a very minor crime. However, it soon becomes apparent that there is much more to this case than meets the eye. Soon after, we see there is even more to it, and the significance continues to grow.

Do not let anybody tell you the storyline. The surprises are extremely entertaining on first viewing, but, interestingly, it remains a solidly entertaining and intriguing film even when you know all of its secrets.

I highly recommend this film to everybody. Literally. All of my friends eventually succumbed to my nagging...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thank you so much Mags and Pam:-4

I am copy/pasting all of these movies to order from netflix in the near future.

I'll be all Aussied out by then and know every nuances spoken by a true Aussie:-4

I'm going to go back tonight Mags and look at the youtubes.

Thank you so much mate;)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

You're surely welcome:)

Pammys' list is a good one though I'd forgotten half of them
dubs

Post by dubs »

fuzzywuzzy;1225240 wrote: shine

romper stomper

Have you ever seen 'The Interview? That's a fantastic film scary as all hell.

"The dish" was good . dubs and hoppy I reckon would like that one.

YouTube - The Dish Trailer

YouTube - Sam Neill Smoking a Pipe

How strange! I've been meaning to watch "The Dish" for some time, just never got round to it..........:eek: She's inside my head!!!!!!!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

scary isn't it.:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks Fuzzy and Kathy! I found Croc Dundee mega cringeworthy too - it's because it's not Australian, but rather what America considers Australian - a bit like the Aussie Outback Steakhouse chain. Grin. And of course Paul Hogan is now completely swallowed by Hollywood - every sunbleached hair of his head carefully crafted in some salon for stars, every craggy burned in, country line on his face apparently stretched or botoxed away. He looks great, in a soft, tamed, un fairdinkum, non true-blue way.

The good thing about the films Mags and I have mentioned is that they are all the genuine article, written first and foremost for the local audience, and successful here.

Kathy - remember Murph from Vidalia, GA? I once sent him a copy of Picnic at Hanging Rock for his school class. That's a classic. Strange and compelling.

Man from Snowy River is awesome too. I've just come back from skiing that area, and the brumbies are still there.

Real urban Australia films showing intermixing of our older and newer settlers - are My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Greek), Looking for Alibrandi (Italian), Strictly Ballroom (Spanish)

Aboriginal Australia is sensitively portrayed in Jedda, Rabbit Proof Fence, Samson and Delilah

The Castle, in my opinion, is one of the best portrayals of ordinary Australian character, and sense of humour.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It's scary to see portrails of your own family in the movie "The Castle".

Samson and delilah is an extremely moving film .

Oh god what was the film with Grahem Kennedy ? oh crikey I can't remember . They are in in Vietnam..

Odd angry shot !!!!!...that's it. Now that's a bloody funny movie.

YouTube - "The Odd Angry Shot"

I love this scene

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzywuzzy;1224910 wrote: Omg I just watched the behind the scenes doco about the making of Rabbit proof fence. Holy hell!!!!!! I had know idea wha the actors (especially the children went through.

A must watch

YouTube - Rabbit Proof Fence Documentary - forced removal scene

I had forgotten about this movie and finally watched it right now on Hula....WOW, what a magnificent and heart- wrenching movie. I'm speechless right now. Those poor families who had their children torn from them was heart breaking, to say the least. This story will stay with me forever.

It was wonderful to see David Gulpilil acting in this movie !!!

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - Plot Summary
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

AussiePam;1226056 wrote: Thanks Fuzzy and Kathy! I found Croc Dundee mega cringeworthy too - it's because it's not Australian, but rather what America considers Australian - a bit like the Aussie Outback Steakhouse chain. Grin. And of course Paul Hogan is now completely swallowed by Hollywood - every sunbleached hair of his head carefully crafted in some salon for stars, every craggy burned in, country line on his face apparently stretched or botoxed away. He looks great, in a soft, tamed, un fairdinkum, non true-blue way.

I realize Pam no longer posts here but I wanted to comment on her first sentence. It IS an Australian movie that was created to cater to a broad range of international tastes.

"Crocodile" Dundee is a 1986 Australian comedy film set in the Australian Outback and in New York City. It stars Paul Hogan as the weathered Mick Dundee and Linda Kozlowski as Sue Charlton.[3]

Inspired by the true life exploits of Rodney Ansell, the film was made on a budget of under $10 million as a deliberate attempt to make a commercial Australian film that would appeal to a mainstream American audience, but proved to be a worldwide phenomenon. Released on 30 April 1986 in Australia, and on 26 September 1986 in the United States, it was the second-highest-grossing film in the United States in that year and went on to become the second-highest grossing film worldwide at the box office as well.

You can't blame it on us, we just imported it.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Kathy Ellen;1387696 wrote: I had forgotten about this movie and finally watched it right now on Hula....WOW, what a magnificent and heart- wrenching movie. I'm speechless right now. Those poor families who had their children torn from them was heart breaking, to say the least. This story will stay with me forever.

It was wonderful to see David Gulpilil acting in this movie !!!

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - Plot Summary

It's also nice to see David's son Jamie is also an actor. Father and son are in the movie "Ten Canoes" together. Plan to watch that soon as it's on youtube.

IMDb - Ten Canoes (2006)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Red Dog I absolutely loved. watched it five times.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

fuzzywuzzy;1387821 wrote:

Red Dog I absolutely loved. watched it five times.

Red Dog...... prequel. How he came to roaming the top end of Australia......... he was looking for someone. I think this movie is going to tell us. This one has Bryan Brown in it.

Something tells me i need to bring tissues.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Sorry guys, i cant put links up anymore.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!

Return to “Australia”