The big question no-one dares to ask about obama

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Well, we all know that it's highly probable.

No-one likes to raise the subject, so i will.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF OBAMA BEING ASSASSINATED?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

oscar;1043566 wrote: Well, we all know that it's highly probable.

No-one likes to raise the subject, so i will.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF OBAMA BEING ASSASSINATED?

OMG. I had not thought along these lines. I don't really like him...but we just can't have a sane country if people are shooting people.....or killing them in any way. If most of the people want Obama, then the rest have to accept it. I will be very sad if he is assasinated. I don't really want him to be president though. There are future elections. It's not like he will be president forever. Hec, I never wanted Bush either...but we made it to the end of his presidency (barely made it). I think no matter who gets elected that it will be very turbulent for awhile though. The whole campaign process has been very emotional and all that emotion can't just disappear. If he is elected, then I pray it is by popular vote because the emotion will run even higher if not.
Oscar Namechange

wildhorses;1043577 wrote: OMG. I had not thought along these lines. I don't really like him...but we just can't have a sane country if people are shooting people.....or killing them in any way. If most of the people want Obama, then the rest have to accept it. I will be very sad if he is assasinated. I don't really want him to be president though. There are future elections. It's not like he will be president forever. Hec, I never wanted Bush either...but we made it to the end of his presidency (barely made it). I think no matter who gets elected that it will be very turbulent for awhile though. The whole campaign process has been very emotional and all that emotion can't just disappear. If he is elected, then I pray it is by popular vote because the emotion will run even higher if not.

I thought no-one would answer this thread. I knew i could rely on you!!

I have just read this mornings news in Britain and one of the papers has an interview with the head of the KKK. He even says he is recruiting people from Britain, now that is scarey. He is saying that he doesn't want Obama to be assassinated for the only reason that it would make him a maryter similar to MLK when Obama has not actually done anything yet.

I don't want Obama picked off by some nutter but i think it's a reality that he is going to have one hell of a security problem if he gets in. The guy from the KKK is talking about riots in the South if Obama gets in. I would be quite worried if i was living out there, i must say.

I do think that it is a very real situation that is highly probable. There will always be some nut who wants to be the one who killed the first black President.

I have a horrible fore-boding that he won't make 3 weeks before there is a serious threat on his life.

Sorry, i'm not pretending to be physcic, i'm just a realist.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I would say even money, certainly on an attempt. Though I hope to god he isn't.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

oscar;1043579 wrote: I thought no-one would answer this thread. I knew i could rely on you!!

I have just read this mornings news in Britain and one of the papers has an interview with the head of the KKK. He even says he is recruiting people from Britain, now that is scarey. He is saying that he doesn't want Obama to be assassinated for the only reason that it would make him a maryter similar to MLK when Obama has not actually done anything yet.

I don't want Obama picked off by some nutter but i think it's a reality that he is going to have one hell of a security problem if he gets in. The guy from the KKK is talking about riots in the South if Obama gets in. I would be quite worried if i was living out there, i must say.

I do think that it is a very real situation that is highly probable. There will always be some nut who wants to be the one who killed the first black President.

I have a horrible fore-boding that he won't make 3 weeks before there is a serious threat on his life.

Sorry, i'm not pretending to be physcic, i'm just a realist.

Oh I hate those KKK punks. Of course, I forgot about them. Of course they might make trouble. And the south? I don't know maybe. I have a cousin who lives in the South and she is voting for Obama (course, she was raised in California so that has something to do with it) I wonder if those in the South are really agressively against Obama? But those KKK punks are dangerous people. I think you may be right....he is going to need big time body guards.
Oscar Namechange

Galbally;1043580 wrote: I would say even money, certainly on an attempt. Though I hope to god he isn't.

I'd even take odds on, Dr galbally. As you said, no-one wants it and we hope to god it doesn't happen but it's a heck of a reality. Anyone who truely believes that we all now live in a non racist world or a world free of nutters looking for some enduring fame, is being unrealistic.

I think it's just a matter of time before it happens and like i said, I think within 3 weeks, he will have a genuine assassination attempt. Just for all our crazy one's, NO, it won't be a conspioricy...... it'll just be some nutter.
Oscar Namechange

Your up very early galbally :-2:-2
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

oscar;1043585 wrote: Your up very early galbally :-2:-2

So are you! Early bird and all of that. I am heading off to the gym for a swim! ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

I don't think it makes the slightest practical difference. Either an African-American can be elected President or he can't be. If assassination attempts are a probability for a black President and it's accepted as a reason not to elect him then there can never be a black President. That would be a shocking indictment on the US, as bad as the disgrace of segregation until the 1980s was. So, since you can't change the likelihood of an assassination attempt, all you can change is whether you're prepared to elect him regardless of the threat. That way at least you shake off a little bit more of your disgraceful history.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

spot;1043592 wrote: I don't think it makes the slightest practical difference. Either an African-American can be elected President or he can't be. If assassination attempts are a probability for a black President and it's accepted as a reason not to elect him then there can never be a black President. That would be a shocking indictment on the US, as bad as the disgrace of segregation until the 1980s was. So, since you can't change the likelihood of an assassination attempt, all you can change is whether you're prepared to elect him regardless of the threat. That way at least you shake off a little bit more of your disgraceful history.

I dont think that people will refrain from electing him because of this reason. He can be elected. But oscar is right....there are some nut cases that are going to freak out if he is elected. I am sure he has thought of this and is prepared to have adequate security. I dont think there are large numbers of people who would be an actual danger to obama....but it only takes a few. It only takes...really...one nut.

Btw, segregation ended in the 60's....not the 80's. And don't start talking about USA history...you have your own history ya know.
spot

Post by spot »

wildhorses;1043596 wrote: Btw, segregation ended in the 60's....not the 80's. And don't start talking about USA history...you have your own history ya know.

If segregation actually did end in the 1960s - which I find startlingly unlikely given the fight Lyndon Johnson put up against it throughout his presidency and the time cases took to filter through your courts system on matters such as voter registration, voter disqualification, bussing - for goodness sake, even 2004 was rife with accusations of mass racially profiled voter disqualification pushes.

There are three countries in living memory with an appalling record on race relations and they're the US, South Africa and Israel. If you go back a bit further you hit Australia. Britain by contrast has been a paragon for two hundred years.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1043599 wrote: If segregation actually did end in the 1960s - which I find startlingly unlikely given the fight Lyndon Johnson put up against it throughout his presidency and the time cases took to filter through your courts system on matters such as voter registration, voter disqualification, bussing - for goodness sake, even 2004 was rife with accusations of mass racially profiled voter disqualification pushes.

There are three countries in living memory with an appalling record on race relations and they're the US, South Africa and Israel. If you go back a bit further you hit Australia. Britain by contrast has been a paragon for two hundred years.

Paragon? This is the nation that ran a White Empire ruling millions of "fuzzy wuzzies" and "wogs" on the basis of "The White Man's Burden" and allowed millions of Irish to starve to death in their own country as they were considered to be human offal. Get off it.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

Galbally;1043601 wrote: Paragon? This is the nation that ran a White Empire ruling millions of "fuzzy wuzzies" and "wogs" and allowed millions of Irish to starve to death in their own country as they were considered to be human offal. Get off it.

That was the economics of private enterprise within the legal framework, it had nothing to do with race.
Oscar Namechange

wildhorses;1043596 wrote: I dont think that people will refrain from electing him because of this reason. He can be elected. But oscar is right....there are some nut cases that are going to freak out if he is elected. I am sure he has thought of this and is prepared to have adequate security. I dont think there are large numbers of people who would be an actual danger to obama....but it only takes a few. It only takes...really...one nut.

Btw, segregation ended in the 60's....not the 80's. And don't start talking about USA history...you have your own history ya know.

I did not mean to suggest in my thread that a likely assassination would stop him being elected or would racially affect the vote.

Even Raegan had a serious assassination attempt but it is fact that black leaders do get picked off by nut cases. I'm am too tired at the moment to quote more than MLK and Malcom X.

I do believe that all it takes, is one lucky bullet.

Obama's security will be aware that past assassinator's are rarely conspiricy's, they are usually fame hungry fruit cakes.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1043603 wrote: That was the economics of private enterprise within the legal framework, it had nothing to do with race.

Rubbish

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Also, Britain founded South African, America, and Australia, and the Balfour declaration was one of the principals upon which Israel was based, so I would advise you to lay off the colonials. ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

Galbally;1043607 wrote: Also, Britain founded South African, America, and Australia, and the Balfour declaration was one of the principals upon which Israel was based, so I would advise you to lay off the colonials. ;)

I mis-spoke myself.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

spot;1043599 wrote: If segregation actually did end in the 1960s - which I find startlingly unlikely given the fight Lyndon Johnson put up against it throughout his presidency and the time cases took to filter through your courts system on matters such as voter registration, voter disqualification, bussing - for goodness sake, even 2004 was rife with accusations of mass racially profiled voter disqualification pushes.

Segregation was part of our legal system till the 1960's. Though lingering problems may still exist, segregation is longer longer part of our legal system and has not been since the 1960's. Look it up.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

spot;1043603 wrote: That was the economics of private enterprise within the legal framework, it had nothing to do with race.

There ya go convoluting the debate again. It does not have to have anything to do with race...its still a disgraceful history. Most countries have disgraceful histories, including yours. So don't be so quick to bring it up when you aren't so clean.
Oscar Namechange

wildhorses;1043611 wrote: There ya go convoluting the debate again. It does not have to have anything to do with race...its still a disgraceful history. Most countries have disgraceful histories, including yours. So don't be so quick to bring it up when you aren't so clean.

Your right there gal. We may have a never opening door to immigration in our country but we have a long way to go yet in the racism department.

Yes, we have our wonderfulll human rights laws that protect our black, asian etc community's but it's still there in Britain. Spot will probably dis-agree with me though.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Yeah lay off the Colonials.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

oscar;1043613 wrote: Your right there gal. We may have a never opening door to immigration in our country but we have a long way to go yet in the racism department.

Yes, we have our wonderfulll human rights laws that protect our black, asian etc community's but it's still there in Britain. Spot will probably dis-agree with me though.

We still have plenty of problems to deal with in the racial equality department too. It's been a long road. Hopefully someday we will finally make it.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

And just one more point for ya "spot". We should not be choosing a president just to make up for past injustices. Those injustices happened to people who are now dead. They cannot benefit from us electing a black president for them. And present black people have not sufferred many injustices....not anymore than anyone else. We should be choosing a president that we think is the best person for our country at this time. Yesterday is gone. The future is what is important.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

wildhorses;1043619 wrote: And just one more point for ya "spot". We should not be choosing a president just to make up for past injustices. Those injustices happened to people who are now dead. They cannot benefit from us electing a black president for them. And present black people have not sufferred many injustices....not anymore than anyone else. We should be choosing a president that we think is the best person for our country at this time. Yesterday is gone. The future is what is important.

Well said. :)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

oscar;1043613 wrote: Your right there gal. We may have a never opening door to immigration in our country but we have a long way to go yet in the racism department.

I wouldn't say Britain is that bad with racism compared to many countries across the world I could think of, and its certainly something that Britain has tried to deal with in certain ways over the years; but its there, its there in every country and in every race of people as well, its not a Whites-only phenomenon.

Its important not to whitewash the past though, as its gives a sense of where things come from. History is important, though the future is also important, you need to have repsect for both if you going to survive as a culture.

The immigrant issue is part of that intrinsically; I would guess, my own take on the immigration issue is that uncontrolled immigration from outside the EU is not viable for European nation states in the long term and will destabilize them if they don't regulate it as they are not immigrant socities like the USA, they are ethnically based "Nation" States; but immigration in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Oscar Namechange

I think that if Obama was assassinated, he has the better VP to step into the job.

Although i want McCain to win and i still think he will win, i was very impressed with Biden, i must say. I have grown a little tired of the 'socar mom' routine from Palin.

If you look at the attempt on Raegan, that was no conspiricy, no political link, no mafiosa link.... just purely some fruit cake out to impress Jodie Marsh.

There are plenty more like him queuing up for some fame.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1043650 wrote: If you look at the attempt on Raegan, that was no conspiricy, no political link, no mafiosa link.... just purely some fruit cake out to impress Jodie Marsh.

There's a distressing number of associative links between John Hinckley and the Bush family - rather more than you'd expect from just a random man in the street.
Oscar Namechange

Galbally;1043646 wrote: I wouldn't say Britain is that bad with racism compared to many countries across the world I could think of, and its certainly something that Britain has tried to deal with in certain ways over the years; but its there, its there in every country and in every race of people as well, its not a Whites-only phenomenon.

Its important not to whitewash the past though, as its gives a sense of where things come from. History is important, though the future is also important, you need to have repsect for both if you going to survive as a culture.

The immigrant issue is part of that intrinsically; I would guess, my own take on the immigration issue is that uncontrolled immigration from outside the EU is not viable for European nation states in the long term and will destabilize them if they don't regulate it as they are not immigrant socities like the USA, they are ethnically based "Nation" States; but immigration in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

Well, with the economic crisis, it has once again shown up Britain's race problem.

Prior, in the boom days, most were quite happy for our immigrants to slave away at the most menial jobs that us British would not dirty our hands with. The moment we are faced with an economy problem, they come out of the woodwork to blame the immigrants for taking jobs. Same old story and we haven't even had a problem. Fuel is cut, grocerie's are cut and The Great Gordon is announcing a slash in interst rates at the banks shortly to come.

Unfortunately, when America starts to feel the big sqeeze, many will do the same and blame black and hispanic for taking their jobs.

It's called having your cake and eatiung it to some.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1043656 wrote: There's a distressing number of associative links between John Hinckley and the Bush family - rather more than you'd expect from just a random man in the street.

That's interesting and thankyou Spot, i could not for the life of me, remember his name from memory just now. I shall google.
cars

Post by cars »

"Anyone" in the "public eye", unfortunately has to face the possibility of assination from a sick person(s)! Look what happened to "Pope John Paul II", he was shot in an assination apttempt, so "no one" in the public eye is ever possitively safe!!!
Cars :)
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

oscar;1043658 wrote: Well, with the economic crisis, it has once again shown up Britain's race problem.

Prior, in the boom days, most were quite happy for our immigrants to slave away at the most menial jobs that us British would not dirty our hands with. The moment we are faced with an economy problem, they come out of the woodwork to blame the immigrants for taking jobs. Same old story and we haven't even had a problem. Fuel is cut, grocerie's are cut and The Great Gordon is announcing a slash in interst rates at the banks shortly to come.

Unfortunately, when America starts to feel the big sqeeze, many will do the same and blame black and hispanic for taking their jobs.

Well I don't know about UK but in USA immigrants work too cheap. They have ruined many trades in this country. These are trades that were once union blue collar jobs that paid decent wages. Now they don't pay anything. Americans use to do those jobs and still do....but it has been overrun by cheap labor making it impossible for anyone with a family to make a stable living in those trades. And no one here was happy about it even during boom times.....especially during boom times. Most of the problem actually comes from illegal immigrants. Some work for even less than minimum wage. But there have also been way too many worker visas given out. As Galbally said, immigration is not a bad thing, but has to be limited.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

oscar;1043658 wrote: Well, with the economic crisis, it has once again shown up Britain's race problem.

It has always been the illegal Mexican natinals that we Americans blame for taking jobs we wouldn't dirty our hands doing. I have personally heard 4th and 5th generation American born Spanish people say they wouldn't take 'that job for that pay' 'let them mojos do it'

( btw the 'J' is pronounced with a 'h' sound so 'mojo sounds like 'mo how')
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

My goodness, I have often heard about folks from 'across the pond' thinking they were 'all that and a bag of chips', but this is the first time I have actully seen/read it first hand. Wow Spot I swaer I could 'hear' a 'looking down the nose snotty tone of voice' when you 'explained'

That was the economics of private enterprise within the legal framework, it had nothing to do with race.

and the crack before that about

That way at least you shake off a little bit more of your disgraceful history

, I will just say :yh_eyebro Unbelievable :yh_eyebro

Wow, A native of your country saying something like you did with that tone,,,,
Oscar Namechange

wildhorses;1043683 wrote: Well I don't know about UK but in USA immigrants work too cheap. They have ruined many trades in this country. These are trades that were once union blue collar jobs that paid decent wages. Now they don't pay anything. Americans use to do those jobs and still do....but it has been overrun by cheap labor making it impossible for anyone with a family to make a stable living in those trades. And no one here was happy about it even during boom times.....especially during boom times. Most of the problem actually comes from illegal immigrants. Some work for even less than minimum wage. But there have also been way too many worker visas given out. As Galbally said, immigration is not a bad thing, but has to be limited.

Our Prime Minister or should i say 'The Right Honerable Gordon Brown' which is his correct title that my fellow countrymen do not use, is now inbetween a rock and a hard place with immigration. If he talks on limiting immigration, he is accused of being a racist. If he keeps the doors open to Britain, he will get slated for that as well.

I don't know if you have the same there as we do but we have a government set minimum wage. This is something that attracts alot of Eastern immigrants to our country and of course our benifit and National Health Care system.

We are certainly a multi-national country these days. Immigration is not entirely a bad thing, their working taxes benifit the country a great deal.
Oscar Namechange

scholle-kid;1043712 wrote: My goodness, I have often heard about folks from 'across the pond' thinking they were 'all that and a bag of chips', but this is the first time I have actully seen/read it first hand. Wow Spot I swaer I could 'hear' a 'looking down the nose snotty tone of voice' when you 'explained'

and the crack before that about

, I will just say :yh_eyebro Unbelievable :yh_eyebro

Wow, A native of your country saying something like you did with that tone,,,,

To be frank, British people have mixed views on America. I have been slated on this forum for defending America at times.
Oscar Namechange

scholle-kid;1043709 wrote: It has always been the illegal Mexican natinals that we Americans blame for taking jobs we wouldn't dirty our hands doing. I have personally heard 4th and 5th generation American born Spanish people say they wouldn't take 'that job for that pay' 'let them mojos do it'

( btw the 'J' is pronounced with a 'h' sound so 'mojo sounds like 'mo how')

That chicken wire isn't enough to keep them out.

We get alot of illegals too. They are actually incredible considering we are afloat in the sea. They cling to the undersides of European trucks coming over the channel.

We have very heavy penaltie's here for anyone caught hiring illegals.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

My 'unbelievable post is about spot's comments .

that said.

we have a government minimum wage it's a 'per hour wage. The illegal Mexican nationals have been known to be paid day wages, cash under the table,, where an 8 hour day at mim. wage before taxes will be around $65.oo an illegal will get a day wage for a comparable job $35.00 or $40.00 and probably put in from 10 to 12 hours a day.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

oscar;1043719 wrote: That chicken wire isn't enough to keep them out.

We get alot of illegals too. They are actually incredible considering we are afloat in the sea. They cling to the undersides of European trucks coming over the channel.

We have very heavy penaltie's here for anyone caught hiring illegals.

The last I heard about the fines for hiring illegals was around $1500.00 for each hired. that was quite some time back so it may be more now.

The Rio Grande river that is our shared border is 'a mile wide and a foot deep ' it really is about just that in many places along the river. hence the term 'wetbacks'
Oscar Namechange

scholle-kid;1043739 wrote: The last I heard about the fines for hiring illegals was around $1500.00 for each hired. that was quite some time back so it may be more now.

The Rio Grande river that is our shared border is 'a mile wide and a foot deep ' it really is about just that in many places along the river. hence the term 'wetbacks'

Yep, if they are determined, they will find a way like foxes.

Obviousley, there are unscrupulous employers that will take on immigrants here for a lower wage. We are no different to America in that respect.

I have absolutely nothing against any nationality wanting to come to my country to work. It's the one's who don't work, take our benifit and free health care service that **** me off.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

oscar;1043744 wrote: Yep, if they are determined, they will find a way like foxes.

Obviousley, there are unscrupulous employers that will take on immigrants here for a lower wage. We are no different to America in that respect.

I have absolutely nothing against any nationality wanting to come to my country to work. It's the one's who don't work, take our benifit and free health care service that **** me off.

I totally agree about people comming in here legally to work and make beeter lives for themselves. It is the ones that come here illegally take our food stamps ,welfare free medical then work for tax free cash wages and send the cash back to Mexico . They are receiveing our tax moneies with the welfare checks not paying any taxes and not spending 'most' of the cash here.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

I just noticed in that post of mine in reply to Spot when I quoted his statements the quotes did not show.up :-5
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

scholle-kid;1043771 wrote: I just noticed in that post of mine in reply to Spot when I quoted her statements the quotes did not show.up :-5

Erm, spot is a man. :thinking:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Galbally;1043912 wrote: Erm, spot is a man. :thinking:

Thank you for the info.

Post by 911 »

oscar;1043579 wrote: I have just read this mornings news in Britain and one of the papers has an interview with the head of the KKK. . The guy from the KKK is talking about riots in the South if Obama gets in. I would be quite worried if i was living out there, i must say.

wildhorses;1043582 wrote: Oh I hate those KKK punks. Of course, I forgot about them. Of course they might make trouble. And the south? I don't know maybe. I wonder if those in the South are really agressively against Obama? But those KKK punks are dangerous people. I think you may be right....he is going to need big time body guards.

Sorry Oscar and Wild but these statements make me nuts. I know the two of you didn't mean it the way it sounds but :-5:-5:-5 why is it that every time a black person is mentioned the South comes under attack.

Especially Spot mentioning our 'disgraceful past'. The reason the KKK is recruiting in Britian is because there are none left here to recruit. They don't have the power or the fear they once held high in the south. This is the new South.

From the news I see on the Chicago station, racism is much worse in the north than the south. We don't live in antebellum homes, wear hoop skirts, have little black lawn jockies in our front yards or fly the Confederate flag from our rooftops.

Now, back to the elections. I think the world will be surprised when the votes are in, no matter who wins. The number of black people voting for McCain and the number of whites voting for Obama. I live in the heart of the south and nary a word has been mentioned of riots or the murdering of a black president. I don't think everyone really likes Biden that much:D.

Personally, I think Obama is making promises he can't possibly keep and keep this country alive finacially. But, we'll know tomorrow or definately Wednesday. I got to figure the best time to go. I think it's going to be one of the biggest turnouts ever.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Oscar Namechange

911;1044187 wrote: Sorry Oscar and Wild but these statements make me nuts. I know the two of you didn't mean it the way it sounds but :-5:-5:-5 why is it that every time a black person is mentioned the South comes under attack.

Especially Spot mentioning our 'disgraceful past'. The reason the KKK is recruiting in Britian is because there are none left here to recruit. They don't have the power or the fear they once held high in the south. This is the new South.

From the news I see on the Chicago station, racism is much worse in the north than the south. We don't live in antebellum homes, wear hoop skirts, have little black lawn jockies in our front yards or fly the Confederate flag from our rooftops.

Now, back to the elections. I think the world will be surprised when the votes are in, no matter who wins. The number of black people voting for McCain and the number of whites voting for Obama. I live in the heart of the south and nary a word has been mentioned of riots or the murdering of a black president. I don't think everyone really likes Biden that much:D.

Personally, I think Obama is making promises he can't possibly keep and keep this country alive finacially. But, we'll know tomorrow or definately Wednesday. I got to figure the best time to go. I think it's going to be one of the biggest turnouts ever.

It's not like that at all. You have to remember that we have a very different calibre of jotnalists here. On one hand, we have highly respected investigative research Journalists who have been following the campaign trail In America reporting on Obama and Mccain for months. They are the one's who turn up the storie's of 'Ayer's', Rv Wright etc.

On the other hand we have what is known here as the gutter press. These are unscrupulous Fleet Street Hacks who will use anything to get at the party the want to lose to undermine them in this country. We can only go by what our press tell us daily and what we see on the BBC and Sky news.

The reason is to under-mine the respect that the British population has for Obama. Britain for months has been reporting over-whelmingly in McCain's favour. In some press, he can noy do wrong where as Obama is a man not to be trusted.

The reason your election has such an impact on Grat Britain is because you affect our economy, Nato and the UN.

To be Frank, our Prime Minister has made comments that the entire economic collapse is down to one country only........ America.

From What i saw on my news today, it is encouraging to see blacks voting for Mccain and whites voting for Obama. That's the way it should be.

In a years time, you may be having a similar debate over our General election between Gordon Brown and his oppossition, David Cameron.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

cars;1043675 wrote: "Anyone" in the "public eye", unfortunately has to face the possibility of assination from a sick person(s)! Look what happened to "Pope John Paul II", he was shot in an assination apttempt, so "no one" in the public eye is ever possitively safe!!!

Yes, unfortunately, cars, you are correct. Anyone in the public eye can become a target..............anyone. It would be another sad day indeed if yet another President was assassinated.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
guppy

Post by guppy »

Obama may be more of a target just because he will be the first nonwhite president for the US. then again he is young..and has strong ideas..if he shakes things up to much..i wouldnt put it past our own government to take him out..:D
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

I wonder if Obama will be any more of a target then , Abe Lincoln was for his policies, or JFK and his brother Bobby for what ever he was a target for , Reagan really don't go on this list because it was a froot loop with a love nut for a celebrity and had nothing to do with policies , and Brady was target for his beliefs and policies, but then of course MLK , What I am trying to say here is if some one ,a skinhead group , or an obsolete KKK group or whoever is going to 'target' Obama well then so be it . That why them Secret Service guys get paid wages is because public high profile people are sometimes targets.This 'list ' is to long for the reason it is a list ,but compared to the length of the list of names 'not' on this list ,it is a pretty short one.

..I never paid attention much in school and school was many many years ago , so I am by no means showing my smart side ,,lol
spot

Post by spot »

scholle-kid;1044694 wrote: Reagan really don't go on this list because it was a froot loop with a love nut for a celebrity and had nothing to do with policies , and Brady was target for his beliefs and policiesJim Brady was Reagan's Press Secretary, he just happened to be next to the President when John Hinckley started firing. Jim Brady was shot in the head, a policemen and a secret service agent were each shot and finally the President caught a ricochet. Nobody really thinks that Jim Brady was the target.

You wrote "We should not be choosing a president just to make up for past injustices" as though I'd suggested you should. I didn't. I said that the risk of an assassination, even if it's an increased risk, shouldn't be an excuse not to elect someone.

Return to “Current Political Events”